Watching SGU for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching SGU for the first time

So I'm watching Universe for the first time, and I am only on episode 12.

I must say, the show is somewhat underwhelming. I'm not saying it's bad, but it isn't as good as I was hoping. But, I can see a lot of potential with the show.

My main problem is the "Stargate" title...Seems weird, huh? But from what I have seen, the show uses the physical Stargate very rarely, I feel. At times I feel like I'm watching an odd reboot of Battlestar Galactica, not a Stargate show, one of the main similarities being the military versus civilian issues.

But like I said, I can definitely see potential in the story, it's just it (obviously) isn't as Stargate focused as the other two series. It seems as if the Stargate itself was sacrificed for character development. Whether that is good or bad for me, I won't be able to tell you until I finish the series. And yes, I am aware the show ends on a cliffhanger...I don't like that, but I still feel I should give the show a chance.
    sigpic

It's good you are giving it a chance.

I think I was at the point you are at the moment when I watched the first time it aired, deciding I liked it and it was worth sticking with. By the beginning of season two I was hooked completely and lament the ending of a show that had great potential to develop into something really fantastic, for me anyway.

I wasn't sure about the totally different feel of SGU to SG-1 at first. Somehow the style of filming, the jumping about with the camera and the use of less lighting on the set was difficult to deal with at first, but now it's something I got used to and is part of the whole feel of the show. The antagonistic tension between characters was something new too, and not 'Stargate', but somehow it made sense.

They were a bunch of people who didn't know each other, thrown together and stuck on a ship going headlong into goodness knows what, with only the sense of order of a militaristic Stargate Command to live by, which was effectively left behind in a far galaxy! It was good to see normal tension and differences between people. I think that's what made SGU so different for me from the other 'gates.' It was a test of the sense of honour and duty we saw in the people of the SGC in the other two series,' that still made it Stargate for me.

As for use of the Stargate itself in SGU, I found that when they did there seemed to be more interesting things happening as a result of using them. For me that in itself made up for not using it as much as one would have expected for a show with 'Stargate' in the title! I was quite happy with the fact that the Stargate got them there and, what happens after that is still interesting.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it, I know I really did!!!

Comment

One of the first things I noticed was the radically different filming style, as well...It takes some getting used to, for sure.
      sigpic

Comment

Season two is much better. Enjoy!

Comment

Yeah, I loved the pilot when it originally aired but then was kinda disappointed by following episodes but season two is pure gold and is more in the sense of the old stargate shows, I think you will especially like Season two but the last episodes arc of season one is as well one of the best episodes when it comes down to stargate, so don't be dissappointed just stick with it and you will be rewarded with pure awesomeness in season two!
          sigpic

Comment

Question...
            Spoiler:
            Didn't Chloe die? I know she died in the first timeline but didn't she also die in the second?
            sigpic

Comment

Yes. But we're in the third.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                Yes. But we're in the third.
                And how did that happen? I was watching the show while working on stuff, so I must have missed something.
                sigpic

Comment

Geez...I just read the LGBT rights groups got all butt hurt over Camille's body being used for a heterosexual "moment"...Really? So it would be okay for other people's bodies to be used but not Camille's?

In any case, that was a good episode. Now onto "Pain"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                    Geez...I just read the LGBT rights groups got all butt hurt over Camille's body being used for a heterosexual "moment"...Really? So it would be okay for other people's bodies to be used but not Camille's?
                    Not at all, there has been pages and pages of words spent on that topic in general if you *really* wanted to look for it.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Not at all, there has been pages and pages of words spent on that topic in general if you *really* wanted to look for it.
                      I'm good...I was just curious. I'm not really liking Camille anyway so it doesn't matter. I just find it funny, and annoying, that people get so butt hurt over a fictional show.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm good...I was just curious. I'm not really liking Camille anyway so it doesn't matter. I just find it funny, and annoying, that people get so butt hurt over a fictional show.
                        Don't forget alot of people look to Scifi for some kind of "hope for the future" (or the Star Trek Effect). Also, Scifi tends to have a great deal of social commentary in it, so it may not be the *show* that they are "railing against" but the situation being portrayed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          Don't forget alot of people look to Scifi for some kind of "hope for the future" (or the Star Trek Effect). Also, Scifi tends to have a great deal of social commentary in it, so it may not be the *show* that they are "railing against" but the situation being portrayed.
                          Even still, it's a fictional (and highly unusual) situation.

About Daniel's role in Subversion, it seems like they were forcing his guest appearance...I know Daniel is essentially a highly trained special ops person after years on SG-1 (and is he even part of the team anymore...?), but was he really the one that needed to be sent on the mission? Couldn't they have sent anyone else who is more...expendable? (To put it nicely)
                          sigpic

Comment

Even still, it's a fictional (and highly unusual) situation.

About Daniel's role in Subversion, it seems like they were forcing his guest appearance...I know Daniel is essentially a highly trained special ops person after years on SG-1 (and is he even part of the team anymore...?), but was he really the one that needed to be sent on the mission? Couldn't they have sent anyone else who is more...expendable? (To put it nicely)
                            To be perfectly fair, I am hardly what you would call a fan of SGU in general, so perhaps you would get a more........... balanced viewpoint from a fan of the show.
                            sigpic

Comment

The outrage came after the casting call for the episode, it sounded worse on paper (almost like rape) than what ended up on screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X