Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    First Lieutenant

Default Why did Vala get so much attention?

I have found it annoying that the new arrival Vala got so much attention in seasons 9 and 10. Really annoying. It just wasn't the same SG1 as in the earlier seasons........Just my two cents.

Default Re: Why did Vala get so much attention?

Because the show runner had a fanboy crush on Claudia and wanted her to be more of a star than the one who had already been there for 8 years.

Plus, with Amanda gone for the first 4-5 episodes, Claudia filled the gap, and when Amanda came back from maternity leave, Claudia was then gone for nearly the rest of Season 9. So she was really only there for about 1-1/4 seasons.

(btw, this is nothing against Claudia. I like Claudia Black.)

I loved Claudia in Farscape. Aeryn Sun is one of my all time favorite characters. But I was very disappointed in how they brought her in to SG. I think I'm all nostalgic for her now that years have passed, but at the time I was not a Vala fan.

Mostly to take Tapping's place when she was on maternity leave which led to the arc of S10
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

First Lieutenant

I have nothing against Claudia Black personally either. But I just didn't like the heavy emphasis on Vala. Furthermore, I didn't like all the extra comedy she brought in. But maybe they realized that Browder wasn't able to fill in enough with humor after RDA.

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Because the show runner had a fanboy crush on Claudia and wanted her to be more of a star than the one who had already been there for 8 years.

Plus, with Amanda gone for the first 4-5 episodes, Claudia filled the gap, and when Amanda came back from maternity leave, Claudia was then gone for nearly the rest of Season 9. So she was really only there for about 1-1/4 seasons.

(btw, this is nothing against Claudia. I like Claudia Black.)

Lieutenant Colonel

Because she's awesome!

i like vala and claudia, that being said i do think that they shouldn't have had her join sg-1 in season 10. they should have left her as just a member of the sgc, therefore a recurring character. though i suppose the fact that adia (not sure on the spelling), was her daughter, which made her important to help destroy the ori.

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    i like vala and claudia, that being said i do think that they shouldn't have had her join sg-1 in season 10. they should have left her as just a member of the sgc, therefore a recurring character. though i suppose the fact that adia (not sure on the spelling), was her daughter, which made her important to help destroy the ori.
    I agree with this. Though, even as Adria's mother, Vala could still have been a recurring character.

I also heartily disagree with whoever said Vala had "earned" the right to be on SG1 (I think Sam said it when Vala was given her SG1 patches). She did no such thing. She had proved herself a bit more trustworthy and more of a team player than she originally had been, but that doesn't mean she "earned" her place on SG1.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

sex sells

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

^ That. For the same reason Seven of Nine got so much attention on Voyager.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Was more sexy!Vala something the network was pushing for then?

2 reasons
    1. she is hot
    2. she is Aussie nuff said
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

I've never gotten Vala and her constant appearences; I mean sure, she was good in the episode she first appeared in but her addition to SG-1 did nothing to the team except make sure that a voice of humor and a hot female person was on the team. Granted, her character was explored a bit but seriously, she should of been kept on as a recurring person rather then a part of SG-1; she was not the best fit for the team to be honest.
    Back from the grave.

This is rather cynical, but it was probably because they had run out of material. Sure, they had plenty of stuff (arc related) to carry on with, but the character stuff had all been done before. That's what happens when a show carries on for that long, unfortunately

That said, it was probably the above and a combination of the reasons other posters have offered. AT was away on maternity leave, so they needed someone else. They tied her into the launch of the Ori arc, and to Daniel, ensuring her return. She likely had a fanbase from the other show that she did (that I did not watch and the name escapes me??) and was available, plus no doubt the producers and showrunners liked her, so she was brought back for s10. It's no different to them bringing in Jewel on SGA - they'd run out of **** to write for the regular cast, so they brought in someone new and reused the same material (Carson in s1 = oi, this PG is a right scary place; Jen in s4/5 = this PG is pretty scary). Heck, look at Dr Lam and General Landry - did anyone really give a **** about their relationship? Or think that it was going to be a long story arc?

Pistachio

Quote Originally Posted by gateraid View Post
    This is rather cynical, but it was probably because they had run out of material. Sure, they had plenty of stuff (arc related) to carry on with, but the character stuff had all been done before. That's what happens when a show carries on for that long, unfortunately

That said, it was probably the above and a combination of the reasons other posters have offered. AT was away on maternity leave, so they needed someone else. They tied her into the launch of the Ori arc, and to Daniel, ensuring her return. She likely had a fanbase from the other show that she did (that I did not watch and the name escapes me??) and was available, plus no doubt the producers and showrunners liked her, so she was brought back for s10. It's no different to them bringing in Jewel on SGA - they'd run out of **** to write for the regular cast, so they brought in someone new and reused the same material (Carson in s1 = oi, this PG is a right scary place; Jen in s4/5 = this PG is pretty scary). Heck, look at Dr Lam and General Landry - did anyone really give a **** about their relationship? Or think that it was going to be a long story arc?
    Farscape.

Because they wanted a hot sexy alien chick who did a bit a space pirating on the side and Anise/Freya was already dead so she was out, and AT made it perfectly clear from the beginning of the show that Sam Carter was not going to wear tight tops and skimpy outfits since the woman was actually in the AF and therefore would wear BDUs etc like the rest of the team.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Quote Originally Posted by Lythisrose View Post
    Was more sexy!Vala something the network was pushing for then?
    Might have been. But the producers sure went with it *if* it was a Syfy/MGM directive. I'm not so sure it was. I know at one point it was stated by someone with Bridge Studios that Claudia wanted more feminine clothing - which could well be a reason why Vala got the very tailored 'uniforms' and so much time out of them in some way. (Those reasons as suppositions on my part.)

Oddly enough Anise/Freya was also a network directive - this was about the time 7 of 9 was added to Voyager and they wanted a hot to trot alien in Stargate too. The producers were pleased that their fans didn't take to her. At the time they said that their fans were smarter than that. I guess we dumbed down a LOT, eh?

ETA: According to this it was Peter Deluise in the commentaries who said it.
    Last edited by suse; February 17th, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
    I have found it annoying that the new arrival Vala got so much attention in seasons 9 and 10. Really annoying. It just wasn't the same SG1 as in the earlier seasons........Just my two cents.
    Season 9: She was filling in for Amanda Tapping who was on maternity leave. Her role was to shake up the show and help kick start the Ori saga. She disappeared after the sixth episode, because Claudia Black (Vala) was pregnant. They wanted to bring her back for the final two episodes, but Black was still pregnant. Consequently, they wrote this into the final episodes, giving rise to Adria.

Season 10: Due to popularity, Vala became a main character. I'm glad she stuck around for the remainder of the series and Ark of Truth. I wish we could have seen more of Vala in Continuum, but at least we got to see Claudia as Que'tesh in the alternate timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Season 9: She was filling in for Amanda Tapping who was on maternity leave. Her role was to shake up the show and help kick start the Ori saga. She disappeared after the sixth episode, because Claudia Black (Vala) was pregnant. They wanted to bring her back for the final two episodes, but Black was still pregnant. Consequently, they wrote this into the final episodes, giving rise to Adria.

Season 10: Due to popularity, Vala became a main character. I'm glad she stuck around for the remainder of the series and Ark of Truth. I wish we could have seen more of Vala in Continuum, but at least we got to see Claudia as Que'tesh in the alternate timeline.

The first bit isn't correct. She left after the 6th episode because that part of the storyline was up. By that point Coop had already told her he wanted her back for S10 so she & the hubby decided it was baby time. Surprise! Syfy wanted her back before the end of S9 so they wrote in her pregnancy, thus the sprog of doom.

S10: 'Due to popularity, Vala became a main character.' Not in all fandom, that's for certain. She grew on me, but only later, when they tamped down the sexual harassment aspect of her character. I to ignore her S8 ep and all of S9. In general but definitely the Vala of that time period.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Because fandom is a very good measurement of popularity
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right