No announcement yet.

Why did Vala get so much attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really. It's not like it was a factor - she didn't sound like an ocker. I cared when Anna Galvin (a kiwi) played an Aussie on SGA, and did an attempt at an Aussie accent. I guess it would have stretched credibility to believe that New Zealand had any knowledge of the Stargate
    sigpic

Comment

Eh. It was kind of obvious from her accent but I just saw her as every other character out there. Granted one that has massive sex appeal but still a character regardless.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
        does anyone care that she was Aussie???????
        No, she was just plain annoying and juvenile. I didn't care any of the other actors were Canadian either. For all I care they were from Timbuktu...
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
          Eh. It was kind of obvious from her accent but I just saw her as every other character out there. Granted one that has massive sex appeal but still a character regardless.
          You mustn't have heard an Aussie speak then. At least, not one that isn't putting on a faux American accent.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
            does anyone care that she was Aussie???????
            What does that have to do with anything? Damian Kindler (one of the producers of SG1 and now of Sanctuary) is originally from Australia, too.

Comment

New characters get attention because they're new.. we don't know about them. We don't know their history. I don't begrudge the show for giving attention to Vala (or Mitchell for that matter). They're new and I wanted to know about them.

However, I didn't like how they introduced Mitchell (even though I started watching the entire series because of Farscape). This dude comes out of nowhere and we spend SO much time on him at the beginning of the season... why should we care about him? I didn't at that point. I wanted to know where Carter was (she was my fave at that point). And I really disliked Mitchell for basically taking Carter's place.

As far as Vala goes.. them spending so much time on her, I didn't mind at all because she was such a completely different character than any of the others. She was interesting and I wanted to know more about her.

Comment

You nailed my feelings on Carter. As for Mitchell, I didn't mind the actor, and the character was fun to watch. It was merely his back story and rank I had issue with. Carter has eight years of experience, Mitchell has zero. If they hold the same rank, she should be leader by default, simply because she has more experience and knows what's going on out there. See the logistic problem here? The writers simply didn't care. They decided that Mitchell should represent the fans instead of portraying a realistic Air Force soldier/pilot (how is he both?) This simply left me embarrassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  You nailed my feelings on Carter. As for Mitchell, I didn't mind the actor, and the character was fun to watch. It was merely his back story and rank I had issue with. Carter has eight years of experience, Mitchell has zero. If they hold the same rank, she should be leader by default, simply because she has more experience and knows what's going on out there. See the logistic problem here? The writers simply didn't care. They decided that Mitchell should represent the fans instead of portraying a realistic Air Force soldier/pilot (how is he both?) This simply left me embarrassed.
                  Exactly. As a member of the Air Force myself, I was really happy with how they portrayed the AF most of the time. They attempted to make it as realistic as possible (you have NO idea how much I loved that Carter never had her finger on the trigger... even though O'Neill did at the beginning). Mitchell was a very skilled and experienced pilot but didn't have any background in ground ops and especially in off-world ground ops. And just because he crashed while saving the asses of SG1 he gets to be the leader of the flagship team of the SGC?!? It just makes absolutely no sense. Even if Carter wasn't there, I still wouldn't have liked him leading SG1. Any SG team leader should have been promoted and taken lead of SG1 over Mitchell.

I like the character and I love Ben Browder. I just didn't like how the show made no sense in his position.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmacky View Post
                    New characters get attention because they're new.. we don't know about them. We don't know their history. I don't begrudge the show for giving attention to Vala (or Mitchell for that matter). They're new and I wanted to know about them.

However, I didn't like how they introduced Mitchell (even though I started watching the entire series because of Farscape). This dude comes out of nowhere and we spend SO much time on him at the beginning of the season... why should we care about him? I didn't at that point. I wanted to know where Carter was (she was my fave at that point). And I really disliked Mitchell for basically taking Carter's place.

As far as Vala goes.. them spending so much time on her, I didn't mind at all because she was such a completely different character than any of the others. She was interesting and I wanted to know more about her.

I didn't like how Mitchell was introduced either as it seemed rather contrived but unfortunately it was still a necessary evil. You have 3 characters that you know inside and out so the audience has to be brought up to speed quickly on the new guy. Since season 8 was quite possibly going to be the end many story arcs were tied up. With Amanda out at start of season 9 that gave the writers a great excuse to push Teal'c and Daniel to the side temporarily as if they had all went their separate ways with Go'a'uld defeated and give Mitchell all the screen time to tell his backstory. Had Amanda not been out at the time pregnant the season's story could have started very differently and went a completely different direction as Claudia would not have been needed to fill the female void.

Comment

Originally posted by terminator View Post
                      I didn't like how Mitchell was introduced either as it seemed rather contrived but unfortunately it was still a necessary evil. You have 3 characters that you know inside and out so the audience has to be brought up to speed quickly on the new guy. Since season 8 was quite possibly going to be the end many story arcs were tied up. With Amanda out at start of season 9 that gave the writers a great excuse to push Teal'c and Daniel to the side temporarily as if they had all went their separate ways with Go'a'uld defeated and give Mitchell all the screen time to tell his backstory. Had Amanda not been out at the time pregnant the season's story could have started very differently and went a completely different direction as Claudia would not have been needed to fill the female void.
                      It was not a necessary evil - any one with an imagination could have come up with viable story lines, Cooper just choose not to do it.

I doubt there would have been anything done differently had Amanda not been pregnant.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        You're forgetting that the shows aired back-to-back on the same network and night. 20 episodes is 20 episodes, no?

I liked Vala, but as for Mitchell... I'll agree. Let him lead the team until Carter returns, then have him surrender leadership to her. Why couldn't Amanda Tapping have gotten top billing with Carter as team leader? She can't star in SG-1, but she can star in Sanctuary? Both shows on the same network. Nonsense.
                        No. 2 different shows is 2 different shows. Part time on 2 shows does not a female lead make. Supporting/recurring yes. Lead, no. It was a thinly veiled attempt to make room for a 4 person team with Vala as the female on the team.

Oh I have plenty of theories, but the most basic is that they likely felt Ben B had screen cred as he had already led a series. One that was not nearly as long-running, but still. Odd, as one of the executive producers stated that they used Amanda as the series lead when Rick wasn't there. They knew Amanda's work ethic so I can't see how they thought she would not be able to handle it *if* that is what they were thinking. (I don't. I don't think they gave her that much thought in their squeeing over finally getting Ben on the show.) Honestly, I wouldn't have cared (much) if he got first billing as long as he wasn't team leader. That, to me, is what was so insulting in multiple ways.

Back to Vala. Had she been written without the simpering on Daniel's arm (when she wasn't sexually harassing anything with a Y chromosome), had she not been written as a humourous sneakthief who also happened to enslave people, I might have liked her earlier on. The chance was there, I was slightly doubtful, but didn't think they would make a hash of it. My mistake.
                        Last edited by suse; 23 February 2012, 06:58 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                          Of course it is fair, they know the time frame they have to work with and they idiotically say "we don't know what to do" with one of the most versatile characters they have. Talk about lousy excuses.
                          This is such a pathetic excuse. After all, they rewrote pretty much the whole 10th season to deal with Claudia's real life pregnancy just so they could get her back on the show. I will never believe that writers who consider themselves to be such wonderful craftsmen could do that for one actress, while dismissing the other with a pathetic "we don't know what to do with her character". Perhaps the writers should have considered turning on a few more of their brain cells in order to get a few more good ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            This is such a pathetic excuse. After all, they rewrote pretty much the whole 10th season to deal with Claudia's real life pregnancy just so they could get her back on the show. I will never believe that writers who consider themselves to be such wonderful craftsmen could do that for one actress, while dismissing the other with a pathetic "we don't know what to do with her character". Perhaps the writers should have considered turning on a few more of their brain cells in order to get a few more good ideas?
                            I think it's pretty clear TPTB wanted a more lighthearted SG-1, with more 'funny' (or, imo, juvenile) humor and sex appeal in general. Sam Carter simply didn't fit that bill, since she was serious, experienced, a genius, kickass soldier with an intelligent and slightly sarcastic (probably unavoidable after years of working with Jack O'Neill) sense of humor. Therefore, they didn't know what to do with her because they couldn't really make her work in the Farscape-esque Stargate SG-1.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Carter was, IMHO, too good of a character for the spoof fest Coop wanted to make. Coop didn't need CHARACTERS for his 'new and improved show' he needed CARICATURES. He needed cliches and plot devices. He didn't want to make Top Gun, he wanted to make Hot Shots.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                I didn't realize they had written all 20 tenth season episodes before filming ended on the ninth season. In reality, only the last two episodes of Season 9 were reworked around Claudia Black's pregnancy. This gave rise to a great villain and a larger role for Vala.

However, this raises a question... with the Ori, Adria, and Ba'al defeated... is there still a reason for Vala to be part of SG-1? I can see her staying on Earth. Finally, she has found a place to call home. I could even see her aiding the SGC when they need her. However, her role on SG-1 has ended, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X