No announcement yet.

Why did Vala get so much attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i will say this, on hindsite, they should have made her opening episode, a dialogue, between the gouuld in her, in its snakey form, on screen, and between her body, but the gouuld in essence talking in both places, the gouuld would be her character etc, very serious, very (peacekeeper from farscape) trained assassin, like the gouuld assassin that was hunting jolinar, so this whole dialogue is a bad idea, but a great dialogue with great new things , give us huge backdrops etc of places and gouuldi stuff and history, and what we take to be her snakey form is also something else, the gouuld entered a tokra host, to fulfill obligations and take aall the tokra information of technology and locations and secretes, but she got more, she got what made the tokra become the tokra, all the psychology, the hosts traumas at seeing thier people suffer, eventually the mirror image of the tokra symbiote begins to merge or flip with the gouuld symbiote as the horrors of everything slam into hte gouuld, and by the end its suddenly showing the gouuld symbiote in claudia black, as she walks up to a cage, where a sg team is captured, and she frees them, they had been there for hte tokra, and she finally lets them just go, her former host is also freed... she is left hostless except for claudia black, as she leaves out of claudia black to go into a pond, claudia goes through something visibly from hatred to rage to fear and suffering she reaches as if to crush it slowly, but again something changes and she holds it carressingly before gently opening her mouth welcoming,

unfortanetely sexual but its not about that its about something alot more then anything so... self absorbed

Later: she enters as a super serious tokra with intelligence, wisdom based on suffering and a overall self rightious yet self aware attitude as her host helps her cope with her pain, she steals a tauri battleship once or twice by 'accident' while on a mission to intercept and capture several hataks, as well as intelligence missions and technology raids as well assassinations, while working with sg1 as a rogue counter to tealc, cold and ruthless at times but tiredly pushing herself far to often, filling the void of there not being a colonial oneil, team bonds with her one on one, she does tokra stuff while they save worlds, everyone enjoys great new arcs, maybe her story ends with her as a medic for the sgc and she goes on missions with the sg1 and sg2 team when things get serious et

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
      Vala isn't Seven of Nine. She adds humor to the series, and I'm fairly certain most people who like her do so because they found her funny. Sex is used in her comedic bits, but what's funny about it is that she's overselling herself and doing it to make those around her uncomfortable. Her trying to act sexy therefore is not for the purpose of making the audience think she's sexy.

I'm not saying she's unattractive or that she has no sex appeal, just that she's not the "sexy" character who exists to try to appeal to the male gaze. Rather, she's there to try to fill the humor void left by Richard Dean Anderson. I love Vala and when she reappeared in season 9 in that ridiculous outfit, my reaction wasn't, "Wow, that's hot," it was "Wow, this is funny." That outfit clearly existed so that she could be humorously absurd or, as Daniel would put it, so she could be a fruitcake.
      Yes, but as I remember it, the humor came later. At first it was this violent thing with Daniel. And I found most of the humor with Vala not funny at all, it was just annoying to me. But we all have our own opinions.

Comment

It's absolutely not everyone's humor, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for it not being their thing nor deny that she gets mixed reactions from audiences who either find her funny or don't, but I was one of those in stitches when I first watched "Prometheus Unbound," and that was absolutely the intention. The "violent thing" was part of that; it was awkward and goofy and and intentionally silly.

Comment

It is said that Robert Cooper really wanted her in the show, and thus gave her a lot to do. One of his children actually played the young Adria (Vala's daughter) soon after her birth.

Comment

I liked her too, I do think she was there more to fill the "funny" void as opposed to the sexy void, because it was played like she was just over the top and thus not really particularly sexy if you spent more than 2 minutes with her.

I disagree that she was just Daniel's arm candy sex object per a previous post - there was not much overtly happening, it was just chemistry between the actors, except on the occasions Vala did her over the top "is it defense mechanism/or just trying to mess with him" thing and Daniel specifically did not usually respond positively to that so it didn't last long and the focus turned back to whatever the real story was.

What happened in Prometheus Unbound was different, IMO, while it was played for laughs(the fruitcake and the kiss), it also was played like he was pretty tired from everything that was going on and the fight he was having with her and so not quite himself. But otherwise in S 9 & 10 when they were together there was usually actual storyline going on it wasn't just about "sexy times" even if Vala did drop some innuendo in here and there. And the moments that showed there was something genuine perhaps growing between them tended to be brief and on the sweeter side and didn't really take time away from the action or plot of the episode.

While I do see the point about Vala getting on SG-1 and whether or not it was deserved, I do think there was reason enough to let it happen. She sacrificed herself to try and save our galaxy from the Ori with the first Super Gate, which would have been a huge plus in their books and even then it's not like she was just immediately put on the team, she had to wait a while and do more to prove herself before she became an official member, so not really entirely unlike Teal'c. He betrayed the Goauld and left everything behind, he was a more serious character with greater gravitas so perhaps easier to take seriously but Vala risked, and initially they thought maybe lost, her life to to hinder the Ori's plans and she took another risk at the end of the season 9 in order to warn them about what the new Ori plans were. She had been a Goauld host and so had knowledge of them, even if they were now essentially defeated, she had been "first contact" with the Ori along with Daniel, so had more experience with them and of course later was even more directly connected due to being the Orici's mother and I can't quite remember but I think she had some contact with the Lucien Alliance as well. So she was "well connected" in terms of having her own place in the plots and reasons for being there, beyond her connection with Daniel.

Physically she was up to the task, she could use weaponry etc, it was just about whether she would be able to work as a member of the team, if she was trustworthy enough and she did prove to be so even if she was a very different person than Teal'c.

Comment

Hi I'm new to the forum!

Anyway, I personally think Vala was ok, I didn't mind her character for the most part although there were times when she annoyed me a bit. Personally I think Vala is very over-rated as a character, I mean sure she's very different to all the other characters and some people might find her interesting because of that reason, but to me her being different wasn't necessarily a good thing, I really don't like these female characters who wear revealing outfits and trying to act "sexy", which Vala was, I find it annoying every time she tries to seduce or sexually harass Daniel or Mitchell, it just makes her look desperate, and I don't find her funny either. If a male character was acting like her and constantly throwing himself at women and trying to seduce them, he would be criticised as a sexual predator, but since Vala is a woman she gets a free pass? You can see how annoyed & uncomfortable both Daniel and Mitchell were around her every time she tries to seduce them, sure some people might find their interactions "funny" to watch on TV, but if it happened in real-life, those men would probably report her for sexual harassment.
              Overall I don't dislike Vala, but I don't like her either, to me she's just meh although annoying sometimes and VERY over-rated...then again, I personally find the character Jack O'Neill very over-rated too, I don't like either of them really, and I know I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, I just never saw the appeal of O'Neill and Vala.

I much prefer brainy and smart female characters who don't have to wear skimpy outfits or try to act sexy to be cool, which is why I love Samantha Carter and she's my fav character, she's smart, she's a kick ass USAF officer and she's cool without having to wear skimpy outfits or throw herself at men at every chance she gets, Sam is what I consider a truly strong female character!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaL100 View Post
                If a male character was acting like her and constantly throwing himself at women and trying to seduce them, he would be criticised as a sexual predator, but since Vala is a woman she gets a free pass?
                There are plenty of male characters like that who are successfully played for laughs. Take Barney Stinson from "How I Met Your Mother" as an example. A common trick employed by writers is make these characters come across as comically desperate and to humanize them by pointing to an underlying emotional cause for their behavior.

I find it curious that you think Vala gets a pass when this is a well established trope in fiction that is applied more frequently to male than female characters. They also tend to get away with more. Barney, for example, is an actual womanizer. Vala just makes sexual jokes.

That's why Samantha from "Sex and the City" gets so much acclaim. She is one of those rare examples who is allowed to be the female version of a comic male womanizer in every way. It challenges ideas that women should cover up and hide their sexuality if they want to be taken seriously or if they simply want to avoid criticism.

but if it happened in real-life, those men would probably report her for sexual harassment.
                If someone replicated the actions of the three stooges on me, I'd have them up on assault charges. It's not a huge revelation that over the top comic characters work better in comedy than in real life.

I much prefer brainy and smart female characters who don't have to wear skimpy outfits or try to act sexy to be cool, which is why I love Samantha Carter and she's my fav character, she's smart, she's a kick ass USAF officer and she's cool without having to wear skimpy outfits or throw herself at men at every chance she gets, Sam is what I consider a truly strong female character!
                I prefer to judge characters based on how well they depict their individual archetype. Alicia Silverstone played a great dumb(ish) blonde in "Clueless."* She is basically the opposite of Carter in every way, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's funny and it comments on a particular type of person/lifestyle. When archetypes become a problem is when we don't get a range of character types from fiction or when an individual work of fiction generalizes. Meaning, they're going out of their way to try to promote a message that all/most of group X are like the character(s) they write.

And, by the way, Vala is strong, smart, and capable. If you can't see that because her behavior or choice of attire doesn't let you take her seriously, that's kind of her point.

Comment

well we all have different opinions and preferences, I just dislike female characters who wear skimpy outfits and trying to act "sexy" and literally throwing themselves at men at every chance they get, like I said, it makes them look desperate and demeaning, and her constant sexual harassment towards Daniel and Mitchell despite their obvious discomfort every time she tries to seduce them very annoying. And sorry, but for a woman to constantly use her sexuality in a desperate attempt to make herself attractive only to embarrass oneself is not what I would consider a "strong" or "smart" character and she's often clueless. Vala embarrasses herself more often than not in the series IMO.
                  I know that many fans like her for whatever reason and that's ok, but I don't and that's just my opinion.

As a woman I feel Sam is a much better female character and role model, she's smart, strong and capable and all without having to use her sexuality or body to do so, she uses her brains instead of sexual seduction.

We all have different opinions and preferences and I personally much prefer Sam.

Comment

well we all have different opinions and preferences, I just dislike female characters who wear skimpy outfits and trying to act "sexy" and literally throwing themselves at men at every chance they get, like I said, it makes them look desperate and demeaning, and her constant sexual harassment towards Daniel and Mitchell despite their obvious discomfort every time she tries to seduce them very annoying. And sorry, but for a woman to constantly use her sexuality in a desperate attempt to make herself attractive only to embarrass oneself is not what I would consider a "strong" or "smart" character and she's often clueless. Vala embarrasses herself more often than not in the series IMO.
                    I know that many fans like her for whatever reason and that's ok, but I don't and that's just my opinion.

As a woman I feel Sam is a much better female character and role model, she's smart, strong and capable and all without having to use her sexuality or body to do so, she uses her brains instead of sexual seduction.

We all have different opinions and preferences and I personally much prefer Sam.
                    Or, on the other hand, she is a woman fully confortable with her sexuality and is playful and outgoing. I don't see anything wrong with that, I've had a few friends which were very similar, it's all tease and they're not ''sluts''. For my part, your comments on her looking desperate or finding her behavior downgrading for women is simply judgment on your part. Don't be offended by that but women are the worst to judge other women I find.

But that's your opinion, as you said, and I can respect that.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

\\And sorry, but for a woman to constantly use her sexuality in a desperate attempt to make herself attractive only to embarrass oneself is not what I would consider a "strong" or "smart" character and she's often clueless.
                      Vala is strong, smart, and flawed. Yes, she's emotionally damaged and yes that comes across in how she acts, but you can't point out a flaw and say that negates her strengths. For example, in what way is she not smart and how is she clueless? She's clueless about Earth customs as anyone in her position would be, but she's very knowledgeable about topics related to her profession (look at easily she took over the Prometheus, a ship that she had no prior experience with) and she's not at all unaware of how her behavior comes across. She weaponized aspects of her personality by overemphasizing them (her aim is to disarm and confuse). She also does things that people would find inappropriate because she finds those things funny and doesn't care what people think about her.

People sometimes think Jack is a clown and then underestimate him as a result, but that doesn't change the fact that he's smarter and more capable than he often behaves. Would you think it's fair to say that he embarrasses himself and therefore that means he's not a strong and smart character? If not, why should that be fair to say about Vala?

Vala embarrasses herself more often than not in the series IMO.
                      Vala doesn't embarrass herself at all. Vala is above shame. She does things that make you embarrassed for her, but that's you.

I understand. That's fine that you don't like her, and I agree that she's not a role model. I just think some of the language you're using is problematic. It comes across as if you're trying to shame her for not conforming to behavior that you deem acceptable/appropriate. And while I agree wholeheartedly that we need more characters like Sam in fiction, I don't think it's fair to be dismissive of women who have different views of their own sexuality than Sam does. Nor do I think the only thing that matters is that we have more female role models in fiction. It's also important that fiction is able to show a multitude of female voices and perspectives without being shamed for it.

If you just said that you didn't like humor that relies on being overly flirtatious to the point of harassment, I'd say fine, no problem. But you also indicated that you think the way she acts and dresses means that she doesn't have value. You may not have intended that, but that's how it came across to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        Or, on the other hand, she is a woman fully confortable with her sexuality and is playful and outgoing. I don't see anything wrong with that, I've had a few friends which were very similar, it's all tease and they're not ''sluts''. For my part, your comments on her looking desperate or finding her behavior downgrading for women is simply judgment on your part. Don't be offended by that but women are the worst to judge other women I find.

But that's your opinion, as you said, and I can respect that.
                        while some might find her behavior as "comfortable" with her sexuality and playful and outgoing, but I find it embarrassing and it makes her look desperate and a try-hard, especially when she uses her sexuality at every chance she gets and constantly throwing herself at men, sexually harassing & flirting with them to make them like her, only for them to feel uncomfortable and reject her, that's just humiliating. I don't think her constant use of sexuality makes her "confident", if she truly was confident in her own sexuality then she wouldn't have to try so hard to seduce men all the time. I think her behavior seems to imply the opposite actually, someone who is truly confident in their sexuality wouldn't have to try so hard to impress men. And I do find her behavior downgrading because as I said, Vala tries too hard to act "sexy" and seduce Daniel and Mitchell to make them like her, some might say she's just joking but the guys just feel uncomfortable and reject her advances most of the time, and she ends up embarrassing herself to me. I don't find her behavior funny or interesting, just annoying when she behaves like that.

Everyone is a critic, everyone has an opinion and we are all free to voice our own opinions, and sometimes these opinions can come across as harsh and judgmental, but that's what criticisms are. It's no secret I don't like Vala and I can be very critical of her, just like how someone could be very critical of a different character. And yes me being a woman does affect my opinions of Vala, because as I said, I dislike female characters who behave like her, who desperately trying so hard to act "sexy" and constantly throwing herself at men to make them like her, constantly using her sexuality more than her brain, these sorts of female characters are not good role models IMO, I just don't like them and that's my opinion. Actually I dislike ANY character that behaves that way, whether it be a male or a female, I just don't like characters who constantly use their sexuality and throwing themselves at others in a desperate attempt to make people like them. I find ANY character like that annoying in general, for me it's not so much that she's a woman, it's more about her being that type of character to behave that way, so even if Vala was a man, I would still find his behavior annoying.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        Vala is strong, smart, and flawed. Yes, she's emotionally damaged and yes that comes across in how she acts, but you can't point out a flaw and say that negates her strengths. For example, in what way is she not smart and how is she clueless? She's clueless about Earth customs as anyone in her position would be, but she's very knowledgeable about topics related to her profession (look at easily she took over the Prometheus, a ship that she had no prior experience with) and she's not at all unaware of how her behavior comes across. She weaponized aspects of her personality by overemphasizing them (her aim is to disarm and confuse). She also does things that people would find inappropriate because she finds those things funny and doesn't care what people think about her.
                        I will admit that she had some good moments and she was helpful to the team in fighting the Ori because of her connection to Adria, but her "smarts" and resourcefulness is through many years of lying, cheating, stealing and manipulating men to get what she wants. I don't consider that kind of behavior "smart" or "strong" if you have to use manipulation and stealing to get ahead, to me personally, that just shows she's weaker than she thinks, because she hasn't achieved these things through her own merits, she had to resort to many years of lying, manipulating and stealing. Obviously she learned some tricks from daddy dearest. I find it hypocritical of Vala to be so judgemental and dismissive of her father when she has been guilty of the same kind of behaviors many times herself. Her experience is based on many years of scavenging throughout the galaxy through less than earnest means. The Prometheus used some of the technology based on the Asgard ships, so the reason why she was able to work her way around the ship could be because she might've had some experience with Asgard ships or similar technology in the past, but even then she still needed help from Daniel to operate it. Most if not all of the Tau'ri ships uses technology adapted from similar technologies used by other races, so it wouldn't be far-fetched if Vala had came across similar technologies to the ones Prometheus used, it would explain why she was familiar with some functions of the ship.
                        I think deep down she does care what people think about her, I think that's why she tries so hard to make Daniel and Mitchell and everyone at the SGC like her, and why she was so emotionally affected when Daniel scolded her about her behavior. Her having to ask Daniel if they really find her repulsive tells me that she does care what people think about her. If she didn't care, then she wouldn't have asked that kind of question and wouldn't have been so emotional when Daniel scolded her.

Vala doesn't embarrass herself at all. Vala is above shame. She does things that make you embarrassed for her, but that's you.
                        to me yes she does embarrass herself with her behavior, and I'm not the only person who feels that way, I know some other people who dislike Vala who also feels this way about her character. We all have different opinions so it's a matter of subjectivity.

People sometimes think Jack is a clown and then underestimate him as a result, but that doesn't change the fact that he's smarter and more capable than he often behaves. Would you think it's fair to say that he embarrasses himself and therefore that means he's not a strong and smart character? If not, why should that be fair to say about Vala?
                        yes I find O'Neill to be a clown a lot of the times and some of his actions embarrassing too and he often acts like a child, but he did have his good moments and has showcased good leadership skills through many years of experience. But he is still flawed and I find his attitude towards some alien races often rude and disrespectful.

I never said Vala was in any way "useless" or downright "stupid" or "has no value", there were moments when she was helpful to the team, but it doesn't change her behavior and her many years of untrustworthy actions.

I understand. That's fine that you don't like her, and I agree that she's not a role model. I just think some of the language you're using is problematic. It comes across as if you're trying to shame her for not conforming to behavior that you deem acceptable/appropriate. And while I agree wholeheartedly that we need more characters like Sam in fiction, I don't think it's fair to be dismissive of women who have different views of their own sexuality than Sam does. Nor do I think the only thing that matters is that we have more female role models in fiction. It's also important that fiction is able to show a multitude of female voices and perspectives without being shamed for it.
                        I am just very critical of her because yes she does not conform to behavior that I personally deem acceptable & appropriate, that's what having opinions is about, we all have our own different opinions and preferences and what we deem as 'appropriate' behavior. Some may find Vala's behavior acceptable to them and have no problems with how she behaves, but not to me and that's ok, because I am entitled to my own opinions too. And like I said before, it's not so much that Vala is a female, as I mentioned before I find ANY character that behaves this way annoying, it doesn't matter if it's male or female, if Sam or Daniel or even Hammond were to behave the same way Vala does, I would be critical of them too.

One can argue that it's just a TV show and they are just fictional characters, BUT nowadays many people tend to emulate what they see on-screen, especially younger people, you can never underestimate the power and influence of fiction on younger people nowadays. And when you have a character like Vala, it just disappoints me because I don't see her as a good role model, and it worries me that there will be people out there in reality who look at Vala and start emulating her in real-life, and this does affect my opinions about her too. Nowadays when fiction can be so influential on many people, it's important to have more good role model characters in fiction, and Vala is not one of them IMO.

And again these are just my own opinions, it's fine if you and other people like her and disagree with me, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Comment

There are actually more I wanted to comment about Vala but my previous post was already very long so I decided to share more of my opinions about her in a new post...

As I said before, I find Vala's constant use of her sexuality and constantly throwing herself at men to make herself feel attractive to impress men desperate and embarrassing, and to me this sort of behavior actually tells me that she does NOT have confidence in herself, she constantly acts "sexy" and using her sexuality to try to impress men gives me the impression that she lacks the confidence in herself to attract men naturally and organically otherwise, so she constantly uses her sexuality as a means to get men's attention because she thinks it is the only way men would show any interest in her, at least that's the impression I get from her behavior. And her many years of manipulation, stealing and trickery to get ahead in life proves to me that she's not "smart". But she is quite experienced and knowledgeable in some areas about alien races considering her many years of travelling around the galaxy, however there is a difference between being smart and being experienced. Being smart is about being intelligent, being capable of intellectual thinking as well as being knowledgeable and resourceful and quick thinking. Most of Vala's knowledge is through her many years of experience traveling across the galaxy and learning certain pieces of information along the way, but it takes much more than just having some knowledge of certain things to be smart and intelligent.

In contrast Samantha Carter is the opposite, she is naturally beautiful, sexy, smart, knowledgeable, strong and intelligent and she attracts men's attention without having to use her sexuality to do so. Over the course of 10 seasons, there has been many male characters who have been attracted to Sam or have fallen in love with her, and she never had to make any effort to attract their attention, Sam usually just gets on with her job, she's too pre-occupied with her work to even think about romance most of the time, yet all these men were still attracted to Sam naturally like bees to a flower, they were all attracted to her beauty, intelligence, smarts, empathy etc. Unlike Vala, Sam was able to attract the attention and affections of men just by being herself and by doing what she always does, being the smart and caring person that she is and doing her job, she made no effort to attract their attention or affections for her, these men were attracted to her naturally. And I personally think Sam is much more attractive than Vala anyway, no offense to Claudia Black I think she's pretty, but Amanda Tapping is gorgeous
                          On the other hand, Vala desperately tries to attract the attention of men by using her sexuality and throwing herself at them at every chance she gets, but her attempts often results in the men feeling uncomfortable and rejecting her. In comparison, Sam was able to attract the attention and affections of many men without even having to try anything! Sam just does what she always does and does her job and being herself and the men just naturally fall for her And Sam is smart, intelligent and very knowledgeable, and very hardworking. Unlike Vala who used manipulation, trickery & stealing to get ahead in life, Sam achieved her goals through sheer hard work and determination and effort and actually earned her achievements through her own merits. I understand that they were both raised and lived in completely different environments so it might be unfair to compare their upbringings and way of life, but being used as a host to a Goa'uld then being free to scavenge and travel the galaxy fending for herself should not excuse Vala's many years of treacherous behavior and wrongdoings.
                          Sam and Vala are completely different women, they are like night and day, Sam is who I consider a truly strong, smart, intelligent, confident and beautiful hardworking woman. Frankly, I think Sam makes Vala look even more desperate and embarrassing in comparison. We need more characters like Sam that are good role models in fiction, not Vala.

I think Vala is similar to Jack O'Neill, in the sense that they both have some experience and knowledge in some things, but they're not smart or intelligent. Sure O'Neill is knowledgeable about the military because of his many years serving in the military, but he is clueless about virtually every else, like Vala he is not capable of intellectual thinking, apart from his military knowledge, he doesn't understand a lot of things and gets confused very easily, his mind is incapable of processing difficult and complex information, and Sam, Daniel and Teal'c constantly have to explain things to him in order for him to understand. Even though he has showcased some good leadership skills due to his experience in the military, but intellectually he has the mind of a child who doesn't understand complex thought and constantly has to depend on his teammates to explain things to him and to solve problems, he can't solve problems himself because he's clueless most of the time, it's usually Sam or Daniel and sometimes Teal'c who does all the intellectual thinking and problem solving. O'Neill is not "smart", he is just experienced in certain areas such as the military, but in many ways he has the intellect of a juvenile, and he acts like a juvenile most of the time too despite the fact that he is a grown adult man who is older than most of the other people working at the SGC. He can also be disrespectful and rude and mindless of other people sometimes and carelessly says things before he thinks.
                          They both have many flaws.

But with all of Vala's flaws there are still a few good attributes to her character, she was helpful to the team in stopping the Ori and after she joined the SGC she tried hard to change and become a better person to atone for her past mistakes and treacherous behavior, and I commend her for these reasons. At least she acknowledges the wrongdoings of her past actions and behaviours and was trying her best to improve as a person and gain the trust of SG-1.
                          But overall I think Vala's many flaws still outweigh her positives so I'm still not fond of her, like I am not fond of O'Neill either, they both have more flaws than positives IMO.

Again these are just my opinions, I know some of my comments about Vala have come across as harsh and judgemental, but I am the sort of person who believes in honesty and always being truthful and forthright about my opinions, so sometimes I can be quite blunt about my opinions. I don't mean to offend any Vala fans here, I'm just an honest and straightforward person and don't sugarcoat my opinions sometimes.
                          And I apologise for posting another long reply, I tend to get a bit carried away when I voice my opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post

After watching Season 10 Part 1 of The Quest, I wondered why the show wasn't just called "Indiana Jones SGC". It looks like a great kid's show. But not SG1. No more intelligent good old days of the Asgard, Goa'uld, Tok'ra, US government and SGC. Heck, you don't even see the Chapa'i at all or the SGC.

Many people suggest that SG1 did end in Season 8 and I guess I would agree. This new series lasted 2 seasons and didn't deserve anymore.
                            If it were up to me, I'd get rid of the ascension story arc and the Replicators story arc. I'd redo or eliminate the Merlin Arthur arc. And I'd eliminate Vala and bring back Jonas. But of course that would not help dumbing down the story....
                            So well written, I totally agree. Now I am rewatching SG and I am in season 7. I am still thinking about it,that I would just finish season 8 and don't progress to seasons 9-10. Vala and Cam weren't great choses for me. Especially Vala. I am not saying that Claudia is a bad actress, I just didn't like Vala.with her, Cam and all the things with Ori it was not anymore SG1 which I loved. I understand that after RDA left,they didn't have anymore the " funny" guy for us, but Vala was a bad choice.

Comment

I had a lot of complains towards the later seasons (9+10) but I could deal with the most of them, but not with Vala. Such a horrible character who I would not mind if never appeared. It is nothing towards the actress, she can be very good, but with such a character she could not make any miracles.

Comment

Working...
                              X