Why did Vala get so much attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Vala get so much attention?

I have found it annoying that the new arrival Vala got so much attention in seasons 9 and 10. Really annoying. It just wasn't the same SG1 as in the earlier seasons........Just my two cents.

Because the show runner had a fanboy crush on Claudia and wanted her to be more of a star than the one who had already been there for 8 years.

Plus, with Amanda gone for the first 4-5 episodes, Claudia filled the gap, and when Amanda came back from maternity leave, Claudia was then gone for nearly the rest of Season 9. So she was really only there for about 1-1/4 seasons.

(btw, this is nothing against Claudia. I like Claudia Black.)

Comment

I loved Claudia in Farscape. Aeryn Sun is one of my all time favorite characters. But I was very disappointed in how they brought her in to SG. I think I'm all nostalgic for her now that years have passed, but at the time I was not a Vala fan.
      sigpic

Comment

Mostly to take Tapping's place when she was on maternity leave which led to the arc of S10
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I have nothing against Claudia Black personally either. But I just didn't like the heavy emphasis on Vala. Furthermore, I didn't like all the extra comedy she brought in. But maybe they realized that Browder wasn't able to fill in enough with humor after RDA.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Because the show runner had a fanboy crush on Claudia and wanted her to be more of a star than the one who had already been there for 8 years.

Plus, with Amanda gone for the first 4-5 episodes, Claudia filled the gap, and when Amanda came back from maternity leave, Claudia was then gone for nearly the rest of Season 9. So she was really only there for about 1-1/4 seasons.

(btw, this is nothing against Claudia. I like Claudia Black.)

Comment

Because she's awesome!

Comment

i like vala and claudia, that being said i do think that they shouldn't have had her join sg-1 in season 10. they should have left her as just a member of the sgc, therefore a recurring character. though i suppose the fact that adia (not sure on the spelling), was her daughter, which made her important to help destroy the ori.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                i like vala and claudia, that being said i do think that they shouldn't have had her join sg-1 in season 10. they should have left her as just a member of the sgc, therefore a recurring character. though i suppose the fact that adia (not sure on the spelling), was her daughter, which made her important to help destroy the ori.
                I agree with this. Though, even as Adria's mother, Vala could still have been a recurring character.

I also heartily disagree with whoever said Vala had "earned" the right to be on SG1 (I think Sam said it when Vala was given her SG1 patches). She did no such thing. She had proved herself a bit more trustworthy and more of a team player than she originally had been, but that doesn't mean she "earned" her place on SG1.

Comment

sex sells
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

^ That. For the same reason Seven of Nine got so much attention on Voyager.
                    sigpic

Comment

Was more sexy!Vala something the network was pushing for then?
                      sigpic

Comment

2 reasons
                        1. she is hot
                        2. she is Aussie nuff said
                        sigpic
                        Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

I've never gotten Vala and her constant appearences; I mean sure, she was good in the episode she first appeared in but her addition to SG-1 did nothing to the team except make sure that a voice of humor and a hot female person was on the team. Granted, her character was explored a bit but seriously, she should of been kept on as a recurring person rather then a part of SG-1; she was not the best fit for the team to be honest.
                          Back from the grave.

Comment

This is rather cynical, but it was probably because they had run out of material. Sure, they had plenty of stuff (arc related) to carry on with, but the character stuff had all been done before. That's what happens when a show carries on for that long, unfortunately

That said, it was probably the above and a combination of the reasons other posters have offered. AT was away on maternity leave, so they needed someone else. They tied her into the launch of the Ori arc, and to Daniel, ensuring her return. She likely had a fanbase from the other show that she did (that I did not watch and the name escapes me??) and was available, plus no doubt the producers and showrunners liked her, so she was brought back for s10. It's no different to them bringing in Jewel on SGA - they'd run out of **** to write for the regular cast, so they brought in someone new and reused the same material (Carson in s1 = oi, this PG is a right scary place; Jen in s4/5 = this PG is pretty scary). Heck, look at Dr Lam and General Landry - did anyone really give a **** about their relationship? Or think that it was going to be a long story arc?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                              This is rather cynical, but it was probably because they had run out of material. Sure, they had plenty of stuff (arc related) to carry on with, but the character stuff had all been done before. That's what happens when a show carries on for that long, unfortunately

That said, it was probably the above and a combination of the reasons other posters have offered. AT was away on maternity leave, so they needed someone else. They tied her into the launch of the Ori arc, and to Daniel, ensuring her return. She likely had a fanbase from the other show that she did (that I did not watch and the name escapes me??) and was available, plus no doubt the producers and showrunners liked her, so she was brought back for s10. It's no different to them bringing in Jewel on SGA - they'd run out of **** to write for the regular cast, so they brought in someone new and reused the same material (Carson in s1 = oi, this PG is a right scary place; Jen in s4/5 = this PG is pretty scary). Heck, look at Dr Lam and General Landry - did anyone really give a **** about their relationship? Or think that it was going to be a long story arc?
                              Farscape.

Comment

Working...
                              X