No announcement yet.

Why did Vala get so much attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because they wanted a hot sexy alien chick who did a bit a space pirating on the side and Anise/Freya was already dead so she was out, and AT made it perfectly clear from the beginning of the show that Sam Carter was not going to wear tight tops and skimpy outfits since the woman was actually in the AF and therefore would wear BDUs etc like the rest of the team.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
      Was more sexy!Vala something the network was pushing for then?
      Might have been. But the producers sure went with it *if* it was a Syfy/MGM directive. I'm not so sure it was. I know at one point it was stated by someone with Bridge Studios that Claudia wanted more feminine clothing - which could well be a reason why Vala got the very tailored 'uniforms' and so much time out of them in some way. (Those reasons as suppositions on my part.)

Oddly enough Anise/Freya was also a network directive - this was about the time 7 of 9 was added to Voyager and they wanted a hot to trot alien in Stargate too. The producers were pleased that their fans didn't take to her. At the time they said that their fans were smarter than that. I guess we dumbed down a LOT, eh?

ETA: According to this it was Peter Deluise in the commentaries who said it.
      Last edited by suse; 17 February 2012, 05:50 AM.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        I have found it annoying that the new arrival Vala got so much attention in seasons 9 and 10. Really annoying. It just wasn't the same SG1 as in the earlier seasons........Just my two cents.
        Season 9: She was filling in for Amanda Tapping who was on maternity leave. Her role was to shake up the show and help kick start the Ori saga. She disappeared after the sixth episode, because Claudia Black (Vala) was pregnant. They wanted to bring her back for the final two episodes, but Black was still pregnant. Consequently, they wrote this into the final episodes, giving rise to Adria.

Season 10: Due to popularity, Vala became a main character. I'm glad she stuck around for the remainder of the series and Ark of Truth. I wish we could have seen more of Vala in Continuum, but at least we got to see Claudia as Que'tesh in the alternate timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Season 9: She was filling in for Amanda Tapping who was on maternity leave. Her role was to shake up the show and help kick start the Ori saga. She disappeared after the sixth episode, because Claudia Black (Vala) was pregnant. They wanted to bring her back for the final two episodes, but Black was still pregnant. Consequently, they wrote this into the final episodes, giving rise to Adria.

Season 10: Due to popularity, Vala became a main character. I'm glad she stuck around for the remainder of the series and Ark of Truth. I wish we could have seen more of Vala in Continuum, but at least we got to see Claudia as Que'tesh in the alternate timeline.

The first bit isn't correct. She left after the 6th episode because that part of the storyline was up. By that point Coop had already told her he wanted her back for S10 so she & the hubby decided it was baby time. Surprise! Syfy wanted her back before the end of S9 so they wrote in her pregnancy, thus the sprog of doom.

S10: 'Due to popularity, Vala became a main character.' Not in all fandom, that's for certain. She grew on me, but only later, when they tamped down the sexual harassment aspect of her character. I to ignore her S8 ep and all of S9. In general but definitely the Vala of that time period.
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Because fandom is a very good measurement of popularity
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Because fandom is a very good measurement of popularity
              See: ratings....
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Shows in general tend to decline in ratings as time goes on
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Shows in general tend to decline in ratings as time goes on
                  Well SG1 was climbing in ratings UNTIL they changed it
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    Well SG1 was climbing in ratings UNTIL they changed it
                    bingo!!
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

You know better then me thier are about 20 different reasons that ratings change
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

That they do. Except Stargate *climbed* thru S8.

Yes, it was part of Sci-fi Friday, but it was the lead-in. Easy enough to miss if someone wanted to only watch Battlestar Galactica.

Back to topic: I think Vala got attention because writing sexual innuendo is easy. And some think it's funny, regardless up setting.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Because the show runner had a fanboy crush on Claudia and wanted her to be more of a star than the one who had already been there for 8 years.
                          Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          sex sells
                          Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Because they wanted a hot sexy alien chick who did a bit a space pirating on the side and Anise/Freya was already dead so she was out, and AT made it perfectly clear from the beginning of the show that Sam Carter was not going to wear tight tops and skimpy outfits since the woman was actually in the AF and therefore would wear BDUs etc like the rest of the team.
                          Originally posted by suse View Post

Back to topic: I think Vala got attention because writing sexual innuendo is easy. And some think it's funny, regardless up setting.
                          All of the above. Plus Coop was bored with the 'baggage' of 8 years of history and back story and wanted to reboot the show. He didn't want to make Stargate SG1, he wanted to make Stargate Command and enjoy his 'freedom' from 'how things used to be'. He kinda got his way...but wasn't allowed to change the name of the show. He also had the idea to move Sam over to SGA, but that was nixed so he had to 'put up with her', so to speak, which is one big reason that Sam really had not much to do during season nine. Didn't have that much with 'oh she had a baby, let's give her time off', it was more the fact that Sam really didn't fit in the new show coop wanted to make. Vala, however, did. Sexy, fun, that's what he wanted. Innuendo, jokes, pranks. Some loved it, others didn't.

There has also been the suggestion that vala's presence was very much supported by Skiffy, who thought to cash in on farscape fans by having the two actors on the show. And that the focus on vala was like the focus on Daniel in season seven...network dictated.

I enjoyed her those few times they pried her off Daniel's arm and allowed her to be more than the bustier wearing girlfriend.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

What Sky said. Personally, I revolted against both Farscape leads being on Stargate. It was beyond insulting for many reasons that are not the topic of this thread

I agree. When Vala wasn't paired with Daniel I received her much better. Less innuendo, less silliness.
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              Damn her committment to characterisation

The first bit isn't correct. She left after the 6th episode because that part of the storyline was up. By that point Coop had already told her he wanted her back for S10 so she & the hubby decided it was baby time. Surprise! Syfy wanted her back before the end of S9 so they wrote in her pregnancy, thus the sprog of doom.

S10: 'Due to popularity, Vala became a main character.' Not in all fandom, that's for certain. She grew on me, but only later, when they tamped down the sexual harassment aspect of her character. I to ignore her S8 ep and all of S9. In general but definitely the Vala of that time period.
                              So....they hadn't thought up the Adria storyline until Claudia got pregnant? Or were they going to bring Adria in another way (as in, as an adult)?

You know better then me thier are about 20 different reasons that ratings change
                              Meanwhile in Gotham, Commissioner Gordan places the outline of a cartoon dog on a floodlight and points it up at the sky....

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              All of the above. Plus Coop was bored with the 'baggage' of 8 years of history and back story and wanted to reboot the show. He didn't want to make Stargate SG1, he wanted to make Stargate Command and enjoy his 'freedom' from 'how things used to be'. He kinda got his way...but wasn't allowed to change the name of the show. He also had the idea to move Sam over to SGA, but that was nixed so he had to 'put up with her', so to speak, which is one big reason that Sam really had not much to do during season nine. Didn't have that much with 'oh she had a baby, let's give her time off', it was more the fact that Sam really didn't fit in the new show coop wanted to make. Vala, however, did. Sexy, fun, that's what he wanted. Innuendo, jokes, pranks. Some loved it, others didn't.
                              I have heard (in fandom, not from a verified source) that the consensus was that they "didn't know what to do with Carter" in s9, which was part of the basis for the idea of her commanding the Odyssey. I guess it has more merit than I thought.

There has also been the suggestion that vala's presence was very much supported by Skiffy, who thought to cash in on farscape fans by having the two actors on the show. And that the focus on vala was like the focus on Daniel in season seven...network dictated.

I enjoyed her those few times they pried her off Daniel's arm and allowed her to be more than the bustier wearing girlfriend.
                              I was against her as a member of the team, but it did work pretty well in that they could have one person absent and not really miss a beat. Not so well if that person was your favourite character though Surprisingly, I really liked her paired (not shipped) with Cam - those two have good chemistry together.

What Sky said. Personally, I revolted against both Farscape leads being on Stargate. It was beyond insulting for many reasons that are not the topic of this thread
                              I'm not even sure Farscape aired in my country. I certainly hadn't even heard of it until Ben was cast on SG-1. The show sounds ridiculous. But, as I said above, I did like the few scenes together of just Claudia and Ben. Just like in SG-1, sometimes it takes a few years of working together to get the chemistry right. Or....fans see what they want to see, and I was just glad it wasn't another scene with her and Daniel

I agree. When Vala wasn't paired with Daniel I received her much better. Less innuendo, less silliness.
                              Which makes you wonder why they wrote her that way with Daniel *shrugs*
                              sigpic

Comment

As I've put together, It was the network's idea to bring claudia in to replace Sam. As soon as coop worked with her, he decided that she had to come back. So before she even left the set for episode 5, she knew she was coming back for season 10. Hence why she and her hubby decided to time their family.
                                Sam came back, even though it seemed that Coop wasn't particularly excited that she did because he'd hoped she'd go over to SGA as the commander of the Odyssey. But she didn't go, and fans seemed happy that she didn't leave SG1.
                                THen, as season 9 was wrapping up, the directive from skiffy came down, get Vala back now.
                                So, despite being very, very pregnant, Claudia had to come back for the end of the season and the sprog of doom storyline was conceived (pun intended). The main reason for Adria was so that Coop & co wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of shooting around her belly.
                                Season 10, I believe, is when Claudia got her contract, MS, Ben, CJ all got theirs...but AT had to call coop and go 'ok, so I don't have mine, anything I need to know?????'...basically it seemed that he didn't really want her in season 10, but kinda had to keep her.

So then we get 20 episodes of Coop struggling to juggle 5 characters, only 2-3 of which he really seemed to want, the others he seemed to feel like he was stuck with.

Vala and the pairing of Vala and Daniel were coop's chosen pairing and characters. Ben was put into the show because, while Coop wanted Daniel to be the star, skiffy said 'no'. They wanted someone with more experience leading a show. So Cam was added....and at least in my opinion, added then shoved into a corner with Sam and Teal'c because all Coop seemed to want to do was play up Vala and Daniel.

HOwever, between season 9 and 10, skiffy did a little research. ANd determined that coop's vision of a show for season 9 just wasn't what your general fan wanted. So for season 10 Skiffy directed that changes be made...unfortunately it ended up being too little too late.

Howver, the main reason vala got so much attention, she was coop's creation, he was the show runner, so he focused on the ones he wanted to focus on. Because he had control over storylines and plots.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X