Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why did Vala get so much attention?

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Because fandom is a very good measurement of popularity
    See: ratings....
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Shows in general tend to decline in ratings as time goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Shows in general tend to decline in ratings as time goes on
    Well SG1 was climbing in ratings UNTIL they changed it
    -

Quote Originally Posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Well SG1 was climbing in ratings UNTIL they changed it
    bingo!!
    sally

You know better then me thier are about 20 different reasons that ratings change
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

That they do. Except Stargate *climbed* thru S8.

Yes, it was part of Sci-fi Friday, but it was the lead-in. Easy enough to miss if someone wanted to only watch Battlestar Galactica.

Back to topic: I think Vala got attention because writing sexual innuendo is easy. And some think it's funny, regardless up setting.
    Mourning Sanctuary.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Because the show runner had a fanboy crush on Claudia and wanted her to be more of a star than the one who had already been there for 8 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    sex sells
    Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    Because they wanted a hot sexy alien chick who did a bit a space pirating on the side and Anise/Freya was already dead so she was out, and AT made it perfectly clear from the beginning of the show that Sam Carter was not going to wear tight tops and skimpy outfits since the woman was actually in the AF and therefore would wear BDUs etc like the rest of the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post

Back to topic: I think Vala got attention because writing sexual innuendo is easy. And some think it's funny, regardless up setting.
    All of the above. Plus Coop was bored with the 'baggage' of 8 years of history and back story and wanted to reboot the show. He didn't want to make Stargate SG1, he wanted to make Stargate Command and enjoy his 'freedom' from 'how things used to be'. He kinda got his way...but wasn't allowed to change the name of the show. He also had the idea to move Sam over to SGA, but that was nixed so he had to 'put up with her', so to speak, which is one big reason that Sam really had not much to do during season nine. Didn't have that much with 'oh she had a baby, let's give her time off', it was more the fact that Sam really didn't fit in the new show coop wanted to make. Vala, however, did. Sexy, fun, that's what he wanted. Innuendo, jokes, pranks. Some loved it, others didn't.

There has also been the suggestion that vala's presence was very much supported by Skiffy, who thought to cash in on farscape fans by having the two actors on the show. And that the focus on vala was like the focus on Daniel in season seven...network dictated.

I enjoyed her those few times they pried her off Daniel's arm and allowed her to be more than the bustier wearing girlfriend.

What Sky said. Personally, I revolted against both Farscape leads being on Stargate. It was beyond insulting for many reasons that are not the topic of this thread

I agree. When Vala wasn't paired with Daniel I received her much better. Less innuendo, less silliness.
    Mourning Sanctuary.

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    Because they wanted a hot sexy alien chick who did a bit a space pirating on the side and Anise/Freya was already dead so she was out, and AT made it perfectly clear from the beginning of the show that Sam Carter was not going to wear tight tops and skimpy outfits since the woman was actually in the AF and therefore would wear BDUs etc like the rest of the team.
    Damn her committment to characterisation

The first bit isn't correct. She left after the 6th episode because that part of the storyline was up. By that point Coop had already told her he wanted her back for S10 so she & the hubby decided it was baby time. Surprise! Syfy wanted her back before the end of S9 so they wrote in her pregnancy, thus the sprog of doom.

S10: 'Due to popularity, Vala became a main character.' Not in all fandom, that's for certain. She grew on me, but only later, when they tamped down the sexual harassment aspect of her character. I to ignore her S8 ep and all of S9. In general but definitely the Vala of that time period.
    So....they hadn't thought up the Adria storyline until Claudia got pregnant? Or were they going to bring Adria in another way (as in, as an adult)?

You know better then me thier are about 20 different reasons that ratings change
    Meanwhile in Gotham, Commissioner Gordan places the outline of a cartoon dog on a floodlight and points it up at the sky....

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    All of the above. Plus Coop was bored with the 'baggage' of 8 years of history and back story and wanted to reboot the show. He didn't want to make Stargate SG1, he wanted to make Stargate Command and enjoy his 'freedom' from 'how things used to be'. He kinda got his way...but wasn't allowed to change the name of the show. He also had the idea to move Sam over to SGA, but that was nixed so he had to 'put up with her', so to speak, which is one big reason that Sam really had not much to do during season nine. Didn't have that much with 'oh she had a baby, let's give her time off', it was more the fact that Sam really didn't fit in the new show coop wanted to make. Vala, however, did. Sexy, fun, that's what he wanted. Innuendo, jokes, pranks. Some loved it, others didn't.
    I have heard (in fandom, not from a verified source) that the consensus was that they "didn't know what to do with Carter" in s9, which was part of the basis for the idea of her commanding the Odyssey. I guess it has more merit than I thought.

There has also been the suggestion that vala's presence was very much supported by Skiffy, who thought to cash in on farscape fans by having the two actors on the show. And that the focus on vala was like the focus on Daniel in season seven...network dictated.

I enjoyed her those few times they pried her off Daniel's arm and allowed her to be more than the bustier wearing girlfriend.
    I was against her as a member of the team, but it did work pretty well in that they could have one person absent and not really miss a beat. Not so well if that person was your favourite character though Surprisingly, I really liked her paired (not shipped) with Cam - those two have good chemistry together.

What Sky said. Personally, I revolted against both Farscape leads being on Stargate. It was beyond insulting for many reasons that are not the topic of this thread
    I'm not even sure Farscape aired in my country. I certainly hadn't even heard of it until Ben was cast on SG-1. The show sounds ridiculous. But, as I said above, I did like the few scenes together of just Claudia and Ben. Just like in SG-1, sometimes it takes a few years of working together to get the chemistry right. Or....fans see what they want to see, and I was just glad it wasn't another scene with her and Daniel

I agree. When Vala wasn't paired with Daniel I received her much better. Less innuendo, less silliness.
    Which makes you wonder why they wrote her that way with Daniel *shrugs*

(Moderator)

As I've put together, It was the network's idea to bring claudia in to replace Sam. As soon as coop worked with her, he decided that she had to come back. So before she even left the set for episode 5, she knew she was coming back for season 10. Hence why she and her hubby decided to time their family.
    Sam came back, even though it seemed that Coop wasn't particularly excited that she did because he'd hoped she'd go over to SGA as the commander of the Odyssey. But she didn't go, and fans seemed happy that she didn't leave SG1.
    THen, as season 9 was wrapping up, the directive from skiffy came down, get Vala back now.
    So, despite being very, very pregnant, Claudia had to come back for the end of the season and the sprog of doom storyline was conceived (pun intended). The main reason for Adria was so that Coop & co wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of shooting around her belly.
    Season 10, I believe, is when Claudia got her contract, MS, Ben, CJ all got theirs...but AT had to call coop and go 'ok, so I don't have mine, anything I need to know?????'...basically it seemed that he didn't really want her in season 10, but kinda had to keep her.

So then we get 20 episodes of Coop struggling to juggle 5 characters, only 2-3 of which he really seemed to want, the others he seemed to feel like he was stuck with.

Vala and the pairing of Vala and Daniel were coop's chosen pairing and characters. Ben was put into the show because, while Coop wanted Daniel to be the star, skiffy said 'no'. They wanted someone with more experience leading a show. So Cam was added....and at least in my opinion, added then shoved into a corner with Sam and Teal'c because all Coop seemed to want to do was play up Vala and Daniel.

HOwever, between season 9 and 10, skiffy did a little research. ANd determined that coop's vision of a show for season 9 just wasn't what your general fan wanted. So for season 10 Skiffy directed that changes be made...unfortunately it ended up being too little too late.

Howver, the main reason vala got so much attention, she was coop's creation, he was the show runner, so he focused on the ones he wanted to focus on. Because he had control over storylines and plots.

I'm just glad that Vala (and Cam) were in the show (and had as much attention as they did).
    If the two weren't in the show, I probably wouldn't have given SG-1 a chance (I only really started watching after Farscape), and missed out on SGA, SGU, and this forum.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    As I've put together, It was the network's idea to bring claudia in to replace Sam. As soon as coop worked with her, he decided that she had to come back. So before she even left the set for episode 5, she knew she was coming back for season 10. Hence why she and her hubby decided to time their family.
    Sam came back, even though it seemed that Coop wasn't particularly excited that she did because he'd hoped she'd go over to SGA as the commander of the Odyssey. But she didn't go, and fans seemed happy that she didn't leave SG1.
    THen, as season 9 was wrapping up, the directive from skiffy came down, get Vala back now.
    So, despite being very, very pregnant, Claudia had to come back for the end of the season and the sprog of doom storyline was conceived (pun intended). The main reason for Adria was so that Coop & co wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of shooting around her belly.
    Season 10, I believe, is when Claudia got her contract, MS, Ben, CJ all got theirs...but AT had to call coop and go 'ok, so I don't have mine, anything I need to know?????'...basically it seemed that he didn't really want her in season 10, but kinda had to keep her.

So then we get 20 episodes of Coop struggling to juggle 5 characters, only 2-3 of which he really seemed to want, the others he seemed to feel like he was stuck with.

Vala and the pairing of Vala and Daniel were coop's chosen pairing and characters. Ben was put into the show because, while Coop wanted Daniel to be the star, skiffy said 'no'. They wanted someone with more experience leading a show. So Cam was added....and at least in my opinion, added then shoved into a corner with Sam and Teal'c because all Coop seemed to want to do was play up Vala and Daniel.

HOwever, between season 9 and 10, skiffy did a little research. ANd determined that coop's vision of a show for season 9 just wasn't what your general fan wanted. So for season 10 Skiffy directed that changes be made...unfortunately it ended up being too little too late.

Howver, the main reason vala got so much attention, she was coop's creation, he was the show runner, so he focused on the ones he wanted to focus on. Because he had control over storylines and plots.
    After reading that, I feel very sorry for Ben. I already felt sorry for Amanda. I wasn't a huge fan of Cam initially (it was the introduction as much as anything, and it seemed illogical that he was the leader instead of Sam) but it felt to me that in s10 they cut him off at the knees. Now I know why I bet Beau must've been a bit annoyed too - a 'name' star like him, who ended up doing far less in the role than his predecessor (apples and oranges, I know, as RDA was the lead and Beau was not).

Because she was a "breath of fresh air." Supposedly. And the character was designed to be sexy & shake things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
    Because she was a "breath of fresh air." Supposedly. And the character was designed to be sexy & shake things up.
    There's nothing "breath of fresh air" about dumbing down a series to base humour and juvenile attempts at sexy.
    -

First Lieutenant

You just hit the bull's eye. I wish I had said it myself......

After watching Season 10 Part 1 of The Quest, I wondered why the show wasn't just called "Indiana Jones SGC". It looks like a great kid's show. But not SG1. No more intelligent good old days of the Asgard, Goa'uld, Tok'ra, US government and SGC. Heck, you don't even see the Chapa'i at all or the SGC.
    And poor Teal'c is reserved for the occasional question or threat to Baal.
    You even forget that Baal is a goa'uld since his goa'uld-ness is of no relevance to the story anyway.
    Many people suggest that SG1 did end in Season 8 and I guess I would agree. This new series lasted 2 seasons and didn't deserve anymore.
    If it were up to me, I'd get rid of the ascension story arc and the Replicators story arc. I'd redo or eliminate the Merlin Arthur arc. And I'd eliminate Vala and bring back Jonas. But of course that would not help dumbing down the story.....

At least in a two-part episode they could have kept General Landry around for something....

Quote Originally Posted by RealmOfX View Post
    There's nothing "breath of fresh air" about dumbing down a series to base humour and juvenile attempts at sexy.
    Last edited by Dave2; February 20th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

(Moderator)

Major Mitchell could have gotten command of SG1, who then faced a choice, keep command but not of that team when sam returned, or be second to sam and 'learn from the best'. In the midst of this, Vala shows up, an ex-host with a grudge and history...is she an ally? or is she a threat? does she help them take down ba'al? or is she his spy?

in the midst of this, the lucian alliance is raising its evil head, enslaving and abusing. are they better than the goa'uld? or worse? are they helping the survivors of the goa'uld? or are they worse than the goa'uld?

the merlin story can still happen, just tweaked.

vala....survivor of tok'ra insensitivity or a manipulator? Did she get free of her snake? or is she in concert with qetesh?

she could have had so much depth and been so much richer than the shallow 'boy toy' she was written as.

Lieutenant Colonel

Wasn't the original plan to split up Tapping's time between both shows? A recurring role on SG-1 for about ten episodes in Season 10 and a recurring role for about ten episodes on Atlantis in Season 3? They'd been wanting to cross her over to Atlantis, so her fourth season role was no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Wasn't the original plan to split up Tapping's time between both shows? A recurring role on SG-1 for about ten episodes in Season 10 and a recurring role for about ten episodes on Atlantis in Season 3? They'd been wanting to cross her over to Atlantis, so her fourth season role was no surprise.
    They didn't even have that concrete a plan, they wouldn't even tell Amanda at the contract stage.
    -

Lieutenant Colonel

I didn't say they had a plan, I just said they'd been wanting to cross her over for more than one episode. Besides, I remember reading an article about splitting up her time during SG-1 Season 10 and Atlantis Season 3. She'd film 20 episodes, but it would be a recurring role on both shows rather than a starring show on SG-1 with a few guest appearances on the other. I don't know if that was a concrete plan, but there was enough talk for a GateWorld news article.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    I didn't say they had a plan, I just said they'd been wanting to cross her over for more than one episode.
    Well if they wanted to do "something" with her why couldn't they tell her at the contract stage? Answer - they didn't know what to do with Sam Carter (now how pathetic is that?)
    -