Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished watching the series for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching the series for the first time...

...and it was fantastic.

I had caught some of Atlantis on TV and decided to check it out. Really enjoyed it. Then went on to watch Stargate SG-1 (also watched the original movie some time while I was watching season 1). At first it was a bit hard to watch SG-1, 'cause I watched Atlantis first and SG-1 seemed a bit cheesy. But I continued. Then it just got so awesome! I just have the movies at the end to go yet.

Also new to the forum. Looks like a great place.

Sonja

Check out the follow on movies as well. You'll enjoy them!

Comment

Do you have any favorite characters, villains, story arcs, episodes or seasons?
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

That's odd, watching Atlantis first before SG-1...Though I suppose you could have gone the extreme route and watched Universe before everything else.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
          Check out the follow on movies as well. You'll enjoy them!
          Really looking forward to those. I couldn't find them at the video rental shop, so I ordered them used from e-bay. Just waiting for them to arrive. So excited!

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Do you have any favorite characters, villains, story arcs, episodes or seasons?
          Ah, so many good characters. For the first few seasons, Daniel and Teal'c were tied for favourite character. I love how expressive Michael Shanks's face is. And Teal'c is super funny. Christopher Judge has great comedic timing. Then season 9 came around and Vala was pretty awesome. The SG-1 team before Vala arrived usually had similar goals or at least goals that didn't conflict too much. Vala came with a different perspective/agenda (though she eventually found somewhere to belong, yay!) and that made the team fresh/interesting again. And her very non-military style is funny in the military setting. Also, I had seen Farscape before watching season 9 of SG-1 and Vala is so different from Aeryn, which was really interesting. The Farscape spoof in "200" was fantastic! My favourite villain is probably Ba'al. He seemed smarter than a lot of the other Goa'uld and had that smooth, confident, patient, somewhat condescending attitude (but not too overdone) that made him convincing.

Some episodes I really liked were Window of Opportunity, 2010, the one where they go back to 1969, Bad Guys, Uninvited (mostly because of Mitchell) and the one where Daniel learns to communicate with Chakka. And the series finale. Seeing how they grew old and what happened during that time was interesting. And I liked episodes where O'Neill had to be serious. I loved his humour, but it was good to see another side of him. It's hard to remember favourite episodes because I watched a lot of episodes in short periods of time, so they kind of run together.

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
          That's odd, watching Atlantis first before SG-1...Though I suppose you could have gone the extreme route and watched Universe before everything else.
          Yeah, it was a strange choice. I think what happened is that I caught an episode of Atlantis on TV (it was either "Runner" or the one where Sheppard is slowly turning into a bug) and I liked it, so I just kept watching (went back to the beginning). Now I want to go back and watch Atlantis again and catch the stuff I missed (Daniel's cameos, etc.).

Comment

Let us know what you think of the films.welcome to the site!

Comment

I watched 200 and Wormhole X-Treme out of curiosity; I don't know what caused me to watch the entire series (and the original movie) but I'm glad I did.

Chistopher Judge did well as Teal'c and the stuff written for his character was very, very good.
              Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks portrayed their roles from the movie well; I believed that this happened after the actual movie (even though there were some disparities between the movie and the TV series.) The plots were engaging, the sci-fi was good; even though there were some episodes that were just boring to watch, it was still a good show. I didn't like that they tried to recreate the movie every episode but that was their thing, trying to be Stargate. The later seasons are radically different in tone but still managed to be consistently good, even though the 9th season when things started to dip a bit but maybe I was watching these in order and I enjoyed the action that was going on on screen, even though they didn't explore the Ori as much as they'd did. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a galaxy populated by ancients sounds interesting, it's just a shame they didn't explore that further.

Haven't watched Atlantis yet (watching SGU for review purposes) but when I do; I'll be sure to savor every minute of it.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

i'm with the ot, in that i watched sga first. did you also find that there were things that were suppose to be a surprise but you knew from sga? i found in season 1, i knew that teal'c was going to put kalwsky in the stargate.
                sigpic

Comment

Okay, done the films now.

Enjoyed both of them, but liked Continuum better. Ark of Truth was nice, 'cause it tied up the Ori storyline, but it didn't grab me as much as Continuum. AOT seemed to tie everything up too fast. But I loved Sarah Strange's delivery of her line, "I am now" (after Adria says that she's no match for her).
                  I especially liked, "Oh wait. I may have not pressed the comm button all the way down. Wow, I must look stupid standing there talking to myself." That was hilarious.

I realize that Continuum wasn't super necessary, other than closing up the Ba'al, story, but I liked it better. I felt a little more invested in the story.

I'm debating whether or not to watch Universe. I've heard good and bad things about it.

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing last night. I'm watching 1-2 episodes of SGU a night on Netflix. It is getting some better. It will still never be SG1 or even Atlantis. Although both of them have plenty of serious moments, the overall tone is somewhat more light hearted. It's easy to understand though on SGU, they have been thrown into a situation they were not prepared for and it's just one crisis and struggle for survival after another. And people like Rush and Telford have their own agendas.

I may have never watched the other 2 if I had watched SGU. Like if I had never heard of the franchise before and had stumbled upon SGU first.

Comment

Working...
                    X