Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Will there be another movie?

I don't think Lost had anything to do with it. Space-based science-fiction has been on the decline since the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    I don't think Lost had anything to do with it. Space-based science-fiction has been on the decline since the 90's.
    I totally agree with this. I think a lot of people are much more interested in fantasy that is based a little closer to home. People are obsessed with conspiracies and supernatural things based here on earth as oppose to out in space where there is no chance of us know if maybe its at all true
    Gets better with age!

Conventions:
    Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
    GateCon Vancouver 2011
    Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Lost was awesome. Anyway, I'm a fan of SGU, but I still doubt a movie would come from that source. I believe that the Atlantis movie would be most likely, we have more sneak peeks on that one. Down(my signature).
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Space based Science Fiction means CGI, CGI is expensive. They require much higher ratings to be a viable profit to TPTW. If they don't get it, they pull it.
    Posting at.............
    http://godus.boards.net/

Lieutenant Colonel

CGI-based visual effects is just one of many expensive endeavors to put together a spaced-based science-fiction show. Quite simply, the audience nor the economy can support such a TV series at this time.

Pistachio

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    CGI-based visual effects is just one of many expensive endeavors to put together a spaced-based science-fiction show. Quite simply, the audience nor the economy can support such a TV series at this time.
    It's not a matter of the economy being insufficient to support such a show. A show that captures wide audience appeal simply isn't out there, and until such time as a show like that arrives, quality space based sci fi will continue its decline.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderD View Post
    It's not a matter of the economy being insufficient to support such a show.
    Where have you been for the past four years?

Pistachio

In the same country I suspect you're in. The money is there for such a show. That show simply isn't around to invest the capital into. I've debated the health of the economy many times, and while certain sectors are greatly depressed, many others are in better states now than before the overall market correction.

I think there is always execptions to the rule. Look at ST 09. We have just not had many for a long time. The industry was burnt hard a couple of times and is taking a long rest from the genre for now.
    Posting at.............

Pistachio

Quote Originally Posted by Graybrew1 View Post
    I think there is always execptions to the rule. Look at ST 09. We have just not had many for a long time. The industry was burnt hard a couple of times and is taking a long rest from the genre for now.
    Exactly. A series is an investment, and much like the stock market, confidence is required before the cash is laid down.

Exactly. A series is an investment, and much like the stock market, confidence is required before the cash is laid down.
    I agree, I would green you if I could.
    Posting at.............

Lieutenant Colonel

Why would a network spend the big bucks on an expensive space-based science-fiction show when they can profit far more from the next cop/doctor/lawyer procedural show or some other down-to-Earth series? Until our economy improves, space-based science-fiction is gone. Fortunately, we have DVD's, reruns, and Netflix Instant Watch.

Staff Sergeant

Well, I would love it if they came out with another movie, but I don't think that's going to happen. Ark of Truth already tied up the Ori story line, and Contiuum tied up the Goa'uld system lords, so where would they go from there in just one movie. Now a Stargate Atlantis movie would be cool. I just hope to God that they don't ever make an SGU based movie. I'm sorry if I offended any SGU fans, I just don't get SGU. I think what I really hate most about SGU is the fact that they tried to make it look like Battlestar Galactica with all that DAMN JERKY CAMERA MOTION! I HATE THAT CRAP!!!!! I also really didn't like the gratuitous and unnecessary sex scene in the first episode of SGU. That is not in the true spirit of Stargate at all.
    Anyway, I don't mean to rag on SGU, so again, apologies if I offended anyone, just voicing my opinions.
    Also, the stargates were chopped up and auctioned off, so that sux. But it's not like they can't make another one.
    So maybe they'll come back and do one more someday, we can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate_Builder View Post
    Well, I would love it if they came out with another movie, but I don't think that's going to happen. Ark of Truth already tied up the Ori story line, and Contiuum tied up the Goa'uld system lords, so where would they go from there in just one movie.
    O'Neill. They did have something to do with O'Neill in a future movie but with that being scrapped, that stuff is left to our imaginations.

Just because there's nothing to wrap up doesn't mean that a movie can't be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate_Builder View Post
    Now a Stargate Atlantis movie would be cool. I just hope to God that they don't ever make an SGU based movie.
    I agree about the Atlantis movie, tons of directions it could of gone in. SGU is a mixed reaction series (I'm one of the ones who thinks it sucks) but it's fans do deserve some closure in the form of a movie or fan-made series; I held the belief despite all the fans that were mourning for it's cancellation that a movie would be released, I mean they managed to keep SG-1 going through the movies, why couldn't they do the same for SGU? Stunned that the movie got canceled and they ended the franchise; even after all that hope, we may never see those movies come to fruition; even for the fans.
    Back from the grave.

SGU lots loads of money. They would not be wanting to risk losing more in this horrid economy. SGA/SGU fan divide makes SGA movie a high risk too. I don't see anymore movies coming anytime soon. Maybe in about 5 years they will make a SG? and go somewhere completely different in a prequel or sequel completely new.
    Posting at.............

Pistachio

At that point though a reboot could very well be the most likely outcome.

At that point though a reboot could very well be the most likely outcome.
    A reboot of which show? I think the fan divide would hurt the chances of either SGA or SGU and SG1 is really done. I think a prequel with the Ancients would be cool, they could call it SGO, Stargate Origins.....but that is just one of my pipe dreams.
    Posting at.............

Pistachio

My guess is a reboot of the storyline in the direction of where the original movie ended. It's a distasteful thought in my opinion.

My guess is a reboot of the storyline in the direction of where the original movie ended. It's a distasteful thought in my opinion.
    Oh, you mean not the TV shows? Yeah, I am not in love with that direction either. What did you think of mine?
    Posting at.............

Pistachio

Your idea is one I would enjoy watching, but I'm not sure if could survive very long due to problems in the Ancient's backstory.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast