This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the USA signed away freedom?

"President Barack Obama on Saturday reluctantly signed a defense authorization bill, saying he was concerned about some in Congress who want to restrict options used by counterterrorism officials."

"Two days before the deadline, President Obama signed a defense spending bill into law – while admitting he has 'serious reservations with certain provisions' related to how suspected terrorists are held and questioned."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...-reservations/

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/31/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Looks like he signed this on New Years Eve/Day to get it through under the radar, when he signed it he pretty much said, he doesn't believe in all of it but will sign it anyway.

I couldn't find much on google about this.... Hmmmmm

People should be thinking about how we are all being manipulated.

For one thing I have never witnessed the onslaught against freedom for American citizens as these last few weeks. Either the politicians have all been imbiding some lethal party drugs not caring about reality or this is being done for a purpose.

Why all of a sudden would almost all senators and the President sell out Americans with this NDAA bill? No right to a trial and torture and death?. We use to be proud we did not live in a country such as North Korea where people are considered scum by its politicians.

Do we have to lick boots like they do?. Fake crying when our leaders are in our view?

This act of signing the NDAA is very telling in its scope and the quickness it was thrust upon the USA. Something very big and very very ugly is about to happen to this country.

Why is America turning into the land of "no freedom and liberty?"

What is the very big ugly thing about to happen to the USA? Honestly have no idea but I feel something about to happen, with bills like this being passed.

Where are the FEMA internment camps? (in the game deus ex one was under detroit but that was just a video game)
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

I started hating this country after Obama stopped the Space Shuttles, forcing NASA to pay the Russians to get us into space (no offense Russia). And now all this nonsense and SOPA and such, guess it's time to move to Canada.

Comment

I'm ready for my section (The South) to secede again, the Federal governments gone nuts.
      Last edited by 4thDoctor; 31 January 2012, 08:43 PM.
      sigpic
      Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

No. Next question
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Did you hear that two Brits have been stopped from entering USA on vacation because they Tweeted they were going to "destroy America", talking about having a fantastic party-time holiday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810312

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
            Did you hear that two Brits have been stopped from entering USA on vacation because they Tweeted they were going to "destroy America", talking about having a fantastic party-time holiday?

Sheesh, better ban the US Olymic team, I'm sure they have been talking about "destroying the competition"
            People have no sense of context sometimes
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

*nods head disapprovingly*

What we really need is someone radically different in the US oval office, there is only so much are current, biased and distorted govermental system can do.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                *nods head disapprovingly*

What we really need is someone radically different in the US oval office, there is only so much are current, biased and distorted govermental system can do.
                "may you live in interesting times" indeed.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Obama tried to do the same thing with the healthcare bill. They had said it would be open door policy but when they tried it push it through nobody had a clue what was actually IN it. It sounds real pretty folks, but you have to read the small print.
                  Posting at.............
                  http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Freedom as we knew it in this country died the moment the Patriot Act came into law.

Comment

I'm more and more debating just pitching a tent in the outback and getting it over with. Sadly, it seems no amount of protesting stops any of these things either(the exception being sopa but thats only because we the regular people actually understood the damn thing).

/sad to say Im from the home of Uncle sam
                      //literally, he's buried behind my high school

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        No. Next question
                        I guess if it was from a conservative, you'd cry and whine all day. But since it is from your beloved Obama, it is all good. I remember you went on a winge about the Patriot Act some years ago when we last sparred swords over the issue. Now you are fine with a far worse and restricting bill on American freedoms? Nice to know your reply was three words, something I suspect is due to the fact you cannot even argue in defense of the bill.

The Patriot Act was an ugly act in the terms of what it could be used as, but it had temporary provisions and shelf life that would expire without a revote on it. At the time, I believed it fairly necessary in regards to the warantless wire taps to catch the bad guys, and it foiled many terrorist plots in the Bush era. I believe the expiration date came up a few years ago and was reauthorized, but at least they had to reauthorize it every few years, and there is always a fairly decent chance it can expire and not be law anymore. Especially if there is a big enough outcry against it. Alot of bills die off by inactivity if they are to expire on a set timeline.

This has no such provisions, and has much broader aspects in regards to American citizens. Now the military can detain US citizens indefinitely, something that has never happened before. Or at least "as long as the conflict is going on." Since it is likely the fight against terrorism will never be truly over, all the US has to do is say they are still fighting terrorism. What next? Will they target "domestic terrorism"? What would then qualify as "domestic terrorism"? Will it be limited to the small amount of nutcases planning on car bombs? Or will it then be broadly applied to "political dissidents" that disagree with what the government is doing? The Chinese called it "Sabotage", even protesting mildly against the police is enough for them to detain you in China, and possibly shoot you. Sabotage to their precious social order. This is quite a step for the US to get to that point.
                        sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                          I started hating this country after Obama stopped the Space Shuttles, forcing NASA to pay the Russians to get us into space (no offense Russia). And now all this nonsense and SOPA and such, guess it's time to move to Canada.
                          Come on in! We don't really have any REAL immigration laws so everyone is welcome!

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post

That's what happens when a country is living in fear propagated by their government....

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                          Freedom as we knew it in this country died the moment the Patriot Act came into law.
                          Agreed.... and its amazing how many Americans don't even understand how much they lost with the Patriot Act or what it actually says.
                          sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                          Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                          GateCon Vancouver 2011
                          Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

"reluctantly" - how can a leader sign something "reluctantly"? he had a gun pointed to his head?
                            even if a veto wouldn't have changed anything it still would've been a strong symbolic gesture

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                              "reluctantly" - how can a leader sign something "reluctantly"? he had a gun pointed to his head?
                              even if a veto wouldn't have changed anything it still would've been a strong symbolic gesture

But how much clout does a presidential veto even carry when it can be overriden?
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X