No announcement yet.

Ark of Truth: Too easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SGC acquiring alien technology and constructing starships was inevitable. I don't understand why people get upset when SG-1 actually achieves their long-standing goals of acquiring weapons to fight the Goa'uld and other enemies.

The Ancient outpost's drone weapons were acceptable, because it was the first time they'd come across something like that. The Dakara weapon wasn't a weapon at all, it was a device that can rearrange matter on a galactic scale. They simply used it to shut down the replicators galaxy wide. The Sangraal was an ancient weapon, just like the drone weapons found in the Ancient outpost. Why is one OK, but not the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      The SGC acquiring alien technology and constructing starships was inevitable. I don't understand why people get upset when SG-1 actually achieves their long-standing goals of acquiring weapons to fight the Goa'uld and other enemies.

The Ancient outpost's drone weapons were acceptable, because it was the first time they'd come across something like that. The Dakara weapon wasn't a weapon at all, it was a device that can rearrange matter on a galactic scale. They simply used it to shut down the replicators galaxy wide. The Sangraal was an ancient weapon, just like the drone weapons found in the Ancient outpost. Why is one OK, but not the other?
      We understand that achieving goals, is OK. But I also think that after Season 8, they had achieved the goal of the series. The Goa'uld were gone, they had superweapons, superknowledge and superships. Season 9 and 10 were the "extra" series that simply made us see how Earth goes with all the tech they have.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Superweapons? Only one: the antarctic outpost. The Jaffa had the Dakara device, not Earth. Super knowledge? Hardly. Just the ability to reverse engineer alien technology. Since when was the Prometheus a super-ship?

Comment

*sigh* Fine, they had reverse-engineered alien tech, they had Prometheus and they had the antarctic outpost. But in Seasons 9-10 they had Daedalus and Odyssey, Dakara device, Supergates, weapons to blow up supergateds...
          I admit they had no real superships until the Asgard upgraded them with their whole knowledge.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            But in Seasons 9-10 they had Daedalus and Odyssey, Dakara device, Supergates, weapons to blow up supergateds...
            The Daedalus never appeared on SG-1. That ship was unique to Atlantis. Earth never regained power over the Dakara device, it remained in Jaffa hands until it's destruction. The supergate was of Ori origin. With the first supergate, before it's construction, Carter was to deploy a naquadria-enriched warhead to stop the Prior on the planet. Once the supergate was constructed, Vala lodged her Goa'uld cargo ship in the place of a segment. This caused the gate to destabilize and tear itself apart.

I admit they had no real superships until the Asgard upgraded them with their whole knowledge.
            I'll agree with you here. It's not so much that they have super ships as it is that they have Earth ships with intense Asgard upgrades.

Comment

the first supergate, before it's construction, Carter was to deploy a naquadria-enriched warhead to stop the Prior on the planet. Once the supergate was constructed, Vala lodged her Goa'uld cargo ship in the place of a segment. This caused the gate to destabilize and tear itself apart.
              They had a Supergate in the Ark of Truth. Anyway, they still had the Odyssey and a lot of great tech and they even had the Stargate.

Comment

Yes, the second Ori supergate constructed later on in the ninth season. Point is, the SGC didn't gather all of this stuff all at once. It was accumulated over time. I would have stopped watching if the goals of the SGC were never fulfilled. That's what I hated about The X Files. Mulder and Scully's work never made any progress; aliens, freaks, and villains always got away, the government conspiracy always prevailed. What's the point of watching the show if the protagonists never make any progress?

Personally, I love that the SGC had fulfilled their goals by the end of the series. Though I could by one starship, I found the fleet of Daedalus-class ships a bit much. How do they construct all of these ships on Earth without anyone finding out? I could buy it if they were built off world, though.

Another thing... when it was just the SGC, secrecy was believable. However, once the Prometheus, Atlantis Expedition, and Daedalus-class ships came into being... the secrecy became cartoony. How do you keep all of that quiet, eh? The more people in a conspiracy, the sooner it falls apart.

Comment

Yes, the second Ori supergate constructed later on in the ninth season. Point is, the SGC didn't gather all of this stuff all at once. It was accumulated over time. I would have stopped watching if the goals of the SGC were never fulfilled. That's what I hated about The X Files. Mulder and Scully's work never made any progress; aliens, freaks, and villains always got away, the government conspiracy always prevailed. What's the point of watching the show if the protagonists never make any progress?
                  I have to agree; I mean watching the show in order, I barely noticed any drastic changes other then the usual cast changes and ever changing villains. By the 10th season, the ships and the powerful weapons felt normal.

I do have to agree with you on the whole conspiracy thing; I mean it got ridiculous when stuff like Atlantis heading to earth and the Promethous was introduced and I understand the Atlantis cloak/restriction thing but still, it's ridiculous that an entire spaceship is on Earth hidden from plain sight. Ridiculous.
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

Sure... I mean a leak should've happened somehow.
                    I think that the Alec guy who made an Asgard clone was the closest thing we had to a leak, but there should've been more. Nobody ever noticed any weather thing when Atlantis came through atmosphere of Earth? No one ever noticed the un-cloaked spaceships orbiting Earth?

Comment

I wish that someone would use a matter bridge to send alternate Replicators to plague us again. Or maybe a new antagonist, like Kinsey(never died never found).

Comment

I thought he beamed over to the Goa'uld ship that the Prometheus destroyed? As for the Replicators, they've been played out, really. That said, I liked their surprise return in The Ark of Truth.

Comment

I thought he beamed over to the Goa'uld ship that the Prometheus destroyed? As for the Replicators, they've been played out, really. That said, I liked their surprise return in The Ark of Truth.
                          He did and he killed a Trust guy and was never seen again. Personally, I think he's alive and angry at the writers for leaving his return out of the story. But the Replicators were just so awesome. Or... how about bringing in those Borg-like aliens from "Daedalus Variations" as a new villain?

Comment

I still say he went down with the ship, explains why he was never heard from again. As for the aliens from "The Daedalus Variations," I'm pretty sure they were just a one-time appearance.

Comment

Did you find the Ark of Truth too easy to defeat the Ori? The movie boils down to finding a big, metal box. Open it up, and a blinding light beam of truth instantly tells you that the Ori are false gods.
                              An alternative perspective could be that the challenges they faced throughout the process, which eventually led to finally obtaining the Ark, made for an overall difficult or otherwise arduous mission.

Originally posted by JanineGrant2 View Post
                              I completely agree...it was very easy towards the end and the music is amazing
                              Joel Goldsmith's music, in the early days, consisted of what I interpret as mediocre original compositions but with excellent adaptations and arrangements of the music that David Arnold wrote for Stargate, the original movie. Throughout the years, however, Goldsmith's original works gradually improved, such that by the end of SG1, during final seasons of SGA, and particularly in SGU, he wrote some truly amazing music. That includes the music for The Ark of Truth and Continuum.

Yeah, Season 7-onward or so it became too easy. They just put their shirts and pants on, took the vest and P-90 and went through. In Season 1, it was a lot more dangerous to go through the gate.
                              One of my favorite aspects of the early seasons is the danger they potentially faced every time they stepped through the stargate. It got to a point, when I originally viewed the series, where I was pondering, “I wonder which civilization's normal way of life SG-1 will screw up and try to fix this time.” And I was completely okay with that. It was particularly edge-of-seat storytelling in the episodes where we saw some serious consequences from SG-1 meddling with other planets' affairs. While similar experiences still occurred in the late seasons, there were fewer occurrences of stories that felt like they could face seriously dangerous situations on the other side, after stepping through the gate. However, the late seasons were still great and consisted of enjoyable storytelling. It was just a different style from what can be considered old-school SG1.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              Dakara was a powerful tool (probably used for terraforming), modified into a weapon and expanded with the stargate.
                              It's been a while since I've seen those seasons of the show, I'm currently watching the shows again but am only in season 4 of SG1 at present, though from what I can recall, the Dakara device was not designed to terraform planets but, rather, it was created as a device capable of either creating or destroying life.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              both the Ark AND the Sangraal were pieces of technology specifically designed to defeat the Ori. and what's worse: what the Ark can, any goauld brainwash tech can. just not in a neat flash.
                              They revealed in the SG1 episode Divide and Conquer that it only takes “moments” for the Goa'uld brainwashing technology to take effect. The Ark only took moments. The big difference is that the Goa'uld tech, as far as we know, only works on one individual at a time. Though, that is really an unknown. The Ark could affect anyone in the same room or location. The key difference was that the Ark was used in combination with Doci's staff in the Ori galaxy and the Prior's staff in the Milky Way galaxy. At the core, however, it's true: the two technologies share similarities in their concepts. Yet, then again, one could interpret the Ark as the opposite of Goa'uld brainwashing technology, in that it basically deprograms any individuals who had otherwise been brainwashed into believing the word of Origin. Poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh. Toh-may-toh, toh-mah-toh. One could also perceive it as brainwashing. Hallowed are the Ori.

Did you guys like those black uniforms they had in Season 10?
                              You know, now that I think about it, I never previously really thought much about that. Then I try to imagine them never wearing black and it would just make those episodes seem a bit off... but, then again, after seeing it so many times, it's easy to get used to the way they did it.

Originally posted by USS Thor View Post
                              the rogue NID became the Trust
                              That was one of the Earth-based ongoing story arcs that I really enjoyed about the show, it helped balance the show out a bit, reminding viewers that although things might get rough off world, things aren't necessarily hunky-dory back home.

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                              Adria as the Orici and sole remaining Member of the Ori far outweighed the importance of Priors. The Priors were just pawns she moved around the board. Defeat the Orici, and you defeat the armies of the Ori.
                              That's not necessarily the case, regarding defeating the Orici making it possible to defeat the Ori army. I believe there was a moment in between the series and the movie when the status of the Ori army and their intentions were unknown to SG-1. Either way, if there had been a way to defeat the ascended Ori and Adria without using the Ark, then it would stand to reason that the Ori army would still attack.

It was the Ark – via the priors – that convinced the Ori worshipers to cancel the fight. Also, the priors served one vital purpose, much more important than as mere pawns of the Orici, in that thanks to them the people from 2 galaxies would be exposed to the Ark of Truth.

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              Though Atlantis had a ZPM obsession, at least it didn't really go down that route...
                              Two of the biggest crutches or otherwise overdone aspects in those 2 shows:

The ever-increasing powers of the villains and ever-increasing powers of the Tau'ri in SG1.

The borderline obsessive use of ZPMs as driving plot points throughout the run of SGA.

Of course, nobody's perfect, they're still great shows.
                              Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
                              Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                              What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                              An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
                              When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
                              Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

Working...
                              X