This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they force it a little too much?

Ok, so we all know SGU was intended to be a little more mature compared to SG1 and SGA with more adult themes, but did you feel like they were trying a little too hard at the beginning? I mean in the pilot episode, as soon as the Gate on Destiny establishes an incoming wormhole with our guests on the way, everybody is thrown into the room way too rough and causes a small panic, and then Lt. Scott just starts screaming Rush's name out of nowhere, with Wray grabbing him and screaming to his face what's going. Later we see in the flashback scenes how Young, after a brief discussion with his wife, suddenly collapses... which isn't addressed again in the series as far as I'm aware. Oh and let's not forget the infamous closet scene with Lt. Hooters and Matt.
    It feels to me like they were throwing these things at our face to make sure we understand it's not the Stargate we're familiar with, but I think they should've been more subtle. Basically it's like we were introduced to characters with a stick up their ass. Don't get me wrong, I love SGU, especially the second season, but that's just my two cents.

I think they did. When I turned on my TV to watch SGU, I wanted to watch a sci-fi show, not a drama or soap opera genre. I'd really have to say there is really something to this as there have also been discussions about the sexual nature of the show on other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by themyst View Post
      I think they did. When I turned on my TV to watch SGU, I wanted to watch a sci-fi show, not a drama or soap opera genre. I'd really have to say there is really something to this as there have also been discussions about the sexual nature of the show on other threads.
      AMEN! I always felt like BSG was too soap opera-ish...and that's what I didn't like about it. Then SGU had to go copy that style. Now, I do have to admit that season 1.5 was better...and season 2 even better. But I do agree that things were shoved down our throats. I wasn't offended by anything they showed, but its not what I wanted to watch in the Stargate realm.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by themyst View Post
        When I turned on my TV to watch SGU, I wanted to watch a sci-fi show, not a drama
        They're not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Um, I don't get the OP here at all. The screaming and confusion was perfectly realistic, and once you saw what led up to the Icarus evacuation, it made perfect sense as to why Scott was screaming for Rush and why Wray and Armstrong were demanding to know why they weren't at the SGC. The scene with Scott and James, your mileage may vary, but I found it just as a way to illustrate how unprepared he was for command. And let's be honest here, stuff like that happens all the time in the real military.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
            They're not mutually exclusive.
            lol - maybe that depends on which ones you've seen. I've watched one or two that could have been classified as comedies ...

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Um, I don't get the OP here at all. The screaming and confusion was perfectly realistic, and once you saw what led up to the Icarus evacuation, it made perfect sense as to why Scott was screaming for Rush and why Wray and Armstrong were demanding to know why they weren't at the SGC. The scene with Scott and James, your mileage may vary, but I found it just as a way to illustrate how unprepared he was for command. And let's be honest here, stuff like that happens all the time in the real military.
              I think there are a lot of other ways to show that he's not ready for command other than havin' him do the humpty dance in a storage closet.
              sigpic

Comment

The sex scene served to set up a character arc for James, flesh out Scott's character and quickly establish that this is an adult show, unlike it's predecessors. As far as such short scenes go, it was very effective.

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                I think there are a lot of other ways to show that he's not ready for command other than havin' him do the humpty dance in a storage closet.
                For arguments sake, and ignoring the fact that the scene was as much about James as Scott... so what? Why would those 'other ways' automatically be preferable to the scene they used?

On topic though, I'd say that if anything was forced, it would be Chloe and Scott's relationship. Not so much that it happened, that was logical, but the speed at which it went from zero to Romeo and Juliet didn't really ring true. I can see why it was necessary though, for the story's sake.

Comment

How does having sex in a closet indicate unreadiness for command? We would have to throw out a whole lot of military leaders if it did...

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                    Originally posted by QuantumIguana View Post
                    How does having sex in a closet indicate unreadiness for command? We would have to throw out a whole lot of military leaders if it did...
                    He was immature and flippant of rules and regulations, nuff said. It certainly got the point across, didn't it? Lots of people flocked to the forums to say what a terrible "leader" this character was, how he shouldn't be given the responsibilities he was, etc. etc. Sure, there are other ways to make that known. But what TPTB worked and I for one think some frankness about life in the military is welcome after 15 years of "near-perfect superheroes." I like characters that seem real, and real people have flaws and illustrate their baser instincts.
                    Last edited by s09119; 09 January 2012, 03:35 PM. Reason: People not "paper," thanks autocorrect
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Did they force it? Nope. I found SGU a much more subtle show than past incarnations. Also I find calling Vanessa "Lt. Hooters" offensive. She was good character well acted. Plenty of people have an immature attitude toward human sexuality and can't see past a woman's body to the person underneath. It's like calling Ronon: Savage Mr. Zucchini pants.

I did feel SG-1 and SGA forced too much mindless action however. I turn on my TV to see Sci-fi with a sense of wonder not an endless laser tag game. It's a shame because the premise had so much potential. SGU got it right.
                      I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

In my opinion it wasn't forced or force fed. It simply was an angst ridden situation. BSG at times force fed it a bit much.

Comment

Ok, so we all know SGU was intended to be a little more mature compared to SG1 and SGA with more adult themes, but did you feel like they were trying a little too hard at the beginning?
                          Nope

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              I understand it was meant to be realistic but it's Stargate we're talking about here. And the Scott's & Venessa's closet scene seemed more like cheap shock value rather than implying anything about their personality. They could have eased us in to these new adult themes we weren't used to seeing in a show like Stargate but they decided to throw stuff at us right off the bat.

Comment

Working...
                              X