Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning my own watch of this show...

I'm just now starting season 1...

What can I expect to like about this show?
    sigpic

best tv show in the past 10 years
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
      best tv show in the past 10 years
      This. You won't be dissapointed, I was sceptic at first because of all that hype and what not but surely was the best new show in 2011 if not of the last decade, yeah.
      sigpic

Comment

Well it's a HBO show, so expect it to be very complex, very well written and with excellent acting. As it's on HBO It's also got lots of violence, nudity and sex.

As a new viewer to the show, be warned that Game of Thrones has no safe characters what so ever. Doesn't matter if their part of the main cast, every character is vulnerable and tons of them die. Many of the deaths are very shocking and I would recommend being careful about spoilers until you see the episodes.

Basically it can go either way. If you're looking for a show that will have a safe and stable main cast, who you can rely on making it though each episode, you might not like this show. On the other hand if you're the kind of person who likes plots where you're not sure any character is safe, and you never know what to expect next you'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Well it's a HBO show, so expect it to be very complex, very well written and with excellent acting. As it's on HBO It's also got lots of violence, nudity and sex.

As a new viewer to the show, be warned that Game of Thrones has no safe characters what so ever. Doesn't matter if their part of the main cast, every character is vulnerable and tons of them die. Many of the deaths are very shocking and I would recommend being careful about spoilers until you see the episodes.

Basically it can go either way. If you're looking for a show that will have a safe and stable main cast, who you can rely on making it though each episode, you might not like this show. On the other hand if you're the kind of person who likes plots where you're not sure any character is safe, and you never know what to expect next you'll love it.
          Unfortunately I'm already aware of one character death that I found out on accident. I heard of another but I managed to forget the name before watching it, but I already know about one.
          sigpic

Comment

Two impressions so far.

1. I don't know if it is just me, but the swords in this show seem a tad bit over sized. But that just might be me.

2. Peter Dinklage, though his character is a little prick (no pun intended), is giving an amazing performance in this show.

I'm on episode 5, btw.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
              Two impressions so far.

1. I don't know if it is just me, but the swords in this show seem a tad bit over sized. But that just might be me.
              Ok that has to be the weirdest complaint I've ever heard. To answer your question, no I don't think they're too big, especially having seen plenty of examples of medieval weapons. GRRM when he was writing the books and the production team when creating the show based them on realistic medieval weapons, which were often massive. Scottish claymores, for example, were often 6 or 7 feet long. The show, while a fantasy, tries to show quite a realistic version of medieval life, and one part of that is combat. There was no Hollywood fencing, most of the time combat was about smashing aside your enemies shield and weapons and carving them up. Also it being medieval times you couldn't always be assured you'd have the sharpest blade, but with a 6 foot length of iron or steel it didn't matter, you didn't have to chop your enemy up, you could just bludgeon them to death with it.

2. Peter Dinklage, though his character is a little prick (no pun intended), is giving an amazing performance in this show.
              Well there is a reason he won an emmy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                Ok that has to be the weirdest complaint I've ever heard. To answer your question, no I don't think they're too big, especially having seen plenty of examples of medieval weapons. GRRM when he was writing the books and the production team when creating the show based them on realistic medieval weapons, which were often massive. Scottish claymores, for example, were often 6 or 7 feet long. The show, while a fantasy, tries to show quite a realistic version of medieval life, and one part of that is combat. There was no Hollywood fencing, most of the time combat was about smashing aside your enemies shield and weapons and carving them up. Also it being medieval timesI you couldn't always be assured you'd have the sharpest blade, but with a 6 foot length of iron or steel it didn't matter, you didn't have to chop your enemy up, you could just bludgeon them to death with it.

Well there is a reason he won an emmy.
                I wasn't complaining, merely expressing an observation. It must just be me. I just find it weird to see a sword whose handle sticks out a foot and a half away from the person when sheathed. But I'm obviously no expert. Maybe what was weird for me is seeing relatively smaller people wielding large blades. The guy who chopped off the head of his horse...Yeah I can see him wielding a large sword like he did. But the blond guy (I can't remember what half of their names are..Jaime I think?) had a rather large sword for what I think to be a smaller (relatively) person. Even the "son" (lol) of Robert had a rather large sword for someone his age. But that is all me, I guess.

And I didn't know he won an Emmy. Well deserved, from what I have watched so far.

Onto episode 8!
                sigpic

Comment

Going to start watching this one soon.

Comment

Lol.

sci-fi-fantasy-game-of-thrones-a-lannister-always.jpg
                    sigpic

Comment

Upon watching the first season again, I must ask...

Spoiler:
                      Can Cersei only get off with relatives?! I didn't catch it the first time but the second time around I realized she slept with her cousin when Jaime was captured...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                        Upon watching the first season again, I must ask...

Spoiler:
                        Can Cersei only get off with relatives?! I didn't catch it the first time but the second time around I realized she slept with her cousin when Jaime was captured...
                        Spoiler:
                        It was said in the book that she slept with her younger cousin because he resembled Jaime when he was younger (well, no duh, their related!). She hasn't said as much yet this season, and not sure if she will.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          It was said in the book that she slept with her younger cousin because he resembled Jaime when he was younger (well, no duh, their related!). She hasn't said as much yet this season, and not sure if she will.
                          Spoiler:
                          After asking this I went and looked at GoT wiki (for the show, not the series ) and it said that in the books Lancel was often regarded as a "poor copy" of Jaime...So I guess that works.

Regardless, that's one effed up family. Tyrion is the most normal of the bunch...
                          sigpic

Comment

As folks have said, no character is safe. No plot twist too far to be done. No character is totally good, nor is any character totally evil. Characters go away, only to show up again in the darndest places.
                            And it's R rated for a reason, so don't even think of watching it with the kiddies
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              And it's R rated for a reason, so don't even think of watching it with the kiddies
                              The Stark children disagree!

Comment

Working...
                              X