Gonna start SGU tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna start SGU tonight

I'm going to spread SGA season 4 and 5 out with SGU.

So, here we go. I'm starting Air right now!
    sigpic
    Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
    I'm going to spread SGA season 4 and 5 out with SGU.

So, here we go. I'm starting Air right now!
    Good luck, it appears to have been polarising for fans I've only seen s1, so I'm not an accurate judge of the series as a whole. My advice would be to forget that it is Stargate related. I know, it sounds counter intuitive for a show that is called Stargate Universe
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Good luck, it appears to have been polarising for fans I've only seen s1, so I'm not an accurate judge of the series as a whole. My advice would be to forget that it is Stargate related. I know, it sounds counter intuitive for a show that is called Stargate Universe
      oh man you're really doing yourself a disservice by NOT watching season 2! it's far and away my favorite season of not only stargate but television in general. period!

also, while i can see your side on the advice of forgetting that sgu is stargate related, i personally liked where it went as far as mythology goes. some things to me just seem to make a bit more sense when taken into context. I cant remember off hand how to do spoiler tags but suffice it to say, season two had some great reveals and can COMPLETELY change the way you look at the entire series in general! =D

Phin, if this is your first time through, enjoy! It's quite a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
        oh man you're really doing yourself a disservice by NOT watching season 2! it's far and away my favorite season of not only stargate but television in general. period!
        I just haven't gotten around to it yet I'm waiting for it to come out on dvd here, then I'll rent it

also, while i can see your side on the advice of forgetting that sgu is stargate related, i personally liked where it went as far as mythology goes. some things to me just seem to make a bit more sense when taken into context. I cant remember off hand how to do spoiler tags but suffice it to say, season two had some great reveals and can COMPLETELY change the way you look at the entire series in general! =D

Phin, if this is your first time through, enjoy! It's quite a ride!
        It's hard to say based on one season, but I felt the SG-1 and Homeworld Command stuff to be somewhat irrelevant. I know it was done partly as a tie in, and partly for the cameo effect of RDA & AT, but I felt they would have been better off to go with different actors/characters altogether. That was only a small part of the show though, not really a big deal. I'm a bit nervous about watching the next season - based on some of the comments/criticism I've read, it'll either be pure WIN or pure DISASTER

Btw, if you want to 'spoil' something, it's just [spoiler] [/ spoiler], without a space seperating / & spoiler (so, /spoiler). It also works if you do [spoilers] [/ spoilers] - just so long as the two tags match
        sigpic

Comment

I'm almost done with Season 1 and it's been a wild ride. So far it's my favorite of the entire franchise, although you'll probably enjoy it more if you forget it's Stargate. I haven't been this excited about any show since BSG and I'm only sorry that I missed the excitement when it was on.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            I'm almost done with Season 1 and it's been a wild ride. So far it's my favorite of the entire franchise, although you'll probably enjoy it more if you forget it's Stargate. I haven't been this excited about any show since BSG and I'm only sorry that I missed the excitement when it was on.
            Yeah I have to say, as much as I love the other installments as well, they made something truly special with SG:U it is my favorite show besides BSG ( when it comes down to sci-fi related stuff!)
            sigpic

Comment

It is my first time through. I didn't buy the series because I've read mixed reviews on it. So, I'm watching online. If I like season 1, I will buy both.

Gateraid, this is for you:

<Link removed>

Air, parts 1 and 2:

Spoiler:
              I was a little bit put off by the whole video game code thing, and I already don't like Eli...He is a nerdier version of Wesley Crusher, but I liked the rest of what I saw. However, this must take place AFTER Atlantis ends because of the Goauld ships attacking the outpost, and Carter being on board the Hammond. I can already see where it is headed. Its Voyager meets BSG. The senator giving his life to buy the rest time kind of shocked me. Most politicians are self centered jerks. (Kinsey)

Not sure what to expect in episode 3 when they get to the planet, although it seemed a little too convenient that they just happened to stop right there.
              A couple things I am hoping for are explanations on why the Goauld attacked the base, and why they didn't just dial Earth rather than going to who knows where with all those people. All and all, I enjoyed it, and will be continuing it.

I am not sure Rush is all he appears to be.
              Last edited by Skydiver; 07 January 2012, 07:53 AM.
              sigpic

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

It was the Lucian Alliance not the Goa'uld and it was because of the Icarus base they attacked. The Alliance wanted to know where the 9th chevron went
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

They explained in the episode why they didn't dial Earth, it was because any potential explosion could have followed them through the wormhole.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    It was the Lucian Alliance not the Goa'uld and it was because of the Icarus base they attacked. The Alliance wanted to know where the 9th chevron went
                    I forgot about them. That makes sense now. However, the LA screwed up their own hopes to find out.

Spoiler:
                    You know, I was going to say that the soundtrack for SGU was spectacular...until the Dont forget to breathe song at the end of Air3. That song was excruciating. But the rest of it was great. That was kind of a boring episode. They could have shown what the 2 soldiers found on the other planet rather than walking through the desert for an entire episode. I was thinking that the dust wind was an ascended being, but now I think it was just the conscience of the soldier. (Don't know all the character names yet) And, what was up with the pod detaching at the end? I thought we established in SGA that you couldnt do that while going FTL.

I did enjoy it, and will keep watching.
                    sigpic

Comment

It is my first time through. I didn't buy the series because I've read mixed reviews on it. So, I'm watching online. If I like season 1, I will buy both.

Gateraid, this is for you:

<Link removed>
                      Thanks? I'm not really familiar with that side of it, I'll just wait til its out on dvd

Air, parts 1 and 2:

Spoiler:
                      I was a little bit put off by the whole video game code thing, and I already don't like Eli...He is a nerdier version of Wesley Crusher, but I liked the rest of what I saw. However, this must take place AFTER Atlantis ends because of the Goauld ships attacking the outpost, and Carter being on board the Hammond. I can already see where it is headed. Its Voyager meets BSG. The senator giving his life to buy the rest time kind of shocked me. Most politicians are self centered jerks. (Kinsey)

Not sure what to expect in episode 3 when they get to the planet, although it seemed a little too convenient that they just happened to stop right there.
                      A couple things I am hoping for are explanations on why the Goauld attacked the base, and why they didn't just dial Earth rather than going to who knows where with all those people. All and all, I enjoyed it, and will be continuing it.

I am not sure Rush is all he appears to be.
                      Spoiler:

Whoa - Eli as Wesley? I guess I can see where you're coming from with that, but let me say that (as far as I'm aware) Eli doesn't have an Eli Wallace Must Die section of fandom like Wesely did The video game thing was interesting - I wonder if they do that sort of thing in real life?

There were a few character arcs in s1 that I wasn't a fan of, but most shows in their first season take a few bad steps so I can let that slide. Plus, TPTB did say that in their five year plan that s1 was meant to be more like exposition, hence why it's a bit slow and plodding in places.

As for the attack on Icarus, it's to do with the power source on that planet, and it being one of the few places one can dial a 9 chevron address from. Also, Young ordered them to dial Earth, but Rush released how to dial the 9 chevron address and dialed that instead
                      sigpic

Comment

I forgot about them. That makes sense now. However, the LA screwed up their own hopes to find out.

Spoiler:
                        You know, I was going to say that the soundtrack for SGU was spectacular...until the Dont forget to breathe song at the end of Air3. That song was excruciating. But the rest of it was great. That was kind of a boring episode. They could have shown what the 2 soldiers found on the other planet rather than walking through the desert for an entire episode. I was thinking that the dust wind was an ascended being, but now I think it was just the conscience of the soldier. (Don't know all the character names yet) And, what was up with the pod detaching at the end? I thought we established in SGA that you couldnt do that while going FTL.

I did enjoy it, and will keep watching.
                        The soundtrack is exceptionally good, I loved Joel's work. I liked most of the contemporary songs thrown in, but the ones I didn't like didn't interfere with me enjoying the show.
                        sigpic

Comment

First time watching SGU, lucky thing, I'm still sad about not having any new SGU to watch!!!!

I hope you stick with it, it is worth it as far as this fan is concerned!

Comment

You are very lucky, in fact I would like I could rediscover the episodes of SGU. A very good series, the one that I prefer of the franchising , even if I loved a lot SG1.
                            She can seem slow to begin, but it is necessary to leave to him a luck, it is the series which surprises, which supplied many feelings. Games of the actors (especially of Robert Carlyle) are very well, tempting to know always on them characters about it. I hope in any case, that you will not know disappointed. And I agree with Jeri, the sound track is plainly brilliant, same the contemporary musics!!
                            sigpic
                            by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

Hope you enjoy it. Just remember that Universe is definitely a different beast. It aims to be a much more serious show with a much more frank view of humanity (hence the intrigue, sex, etc. and less slapstick in the face of danger). Your mileage may vary, but I personally loved it, especially after the first half of Season 1 (which is admittedly a little rough at times).
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X