Repressed Smiles on Actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repressed Smiles on Actors

At first I ignored it........but then the more episodes I watched, I was sure I was seeing actors making facial gestures or biting their lip or twisting their mouth to repress a smile and possible laughter. I think I saw it on Hammond and O'Neill especially. Jonas never had to worry because he was always smiling, but Daniel Jackson seemed frequently twist his mouth or turn his eyes in various ways and gestures.

Just goes to show that they had a great time on set. Ever seen any of the extra features on the DVDs? They seem to be laughing most of the time.
    sigpic

Comment

I think it's caused by O'Neill most of the time. RDA liked to ad-lib from time to time and it usually caught the others off guard.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        At first I ignored it........but then the more episodes I watched, I was sure I was seeing actors making facial gestures or biting their lip or twisting their mouth to repress a smile and possible laughter. I think I saw it on Hammond and O'Neill especially. Jonas never had to worry because he was always smiling, but Daniel Jackson seemed frequently twist his mouth or turn his eyes in various ways and gestures.
        What? No comment about all the little "repressed smiles" of Sam's? There were plenty of those. Usually in response to something RDA did or a comment made by his character.

Most of those repressed smiles were in relation to the story that was going on. But there were also plenty of repressed smiles from behind the scenes antics that didn't get cut out of the final cut of the episode.

Daniel's facial expressions often corresponded to things about Jack that Daniel didn't like or he was exasperated with Jack, or just plain disgusted with Jack's character.

Comment

Yes, I always wonder whether Samantha's look in response is part of the script or a response to his adlibbing.
          The way he was interacting with Baal in Reckoning was a riot.......

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          I think it's caused by O'Neill most of the time. RDA liked to ad-lib from time to time and it usually caught the others off guard.

Comment

I was sure that the way Don S. Davis made certain facial gestures he was on the edge of exploding in laughter.
            One of the best episodes I thought was Citizen Joe. He sits in on a meeting in the SGC and greets Teal'c in Jaffa language and comments on a change in Teal'c's coloring. Judge also looked like he was about to break out laughing.
            I can imagine how many retakes had to be made because of the way they had to appear serious in situations that appeared funny to them. Working with the Asgard must have caused alot of retakes.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            What? No comment about all the little "repressed smiles" of Sam's? There were plenty of those. Usually in response to something RDA did or a comment made by his character.

Most of those repressed smiles were in relation to the story that was going on. But there were also plenty of repressed smiles from behind the scenes antics that didn't get cut out of the final cut of the episode.

Daniel's facial expressions often corresponded to things about Jack that Daniel didn't like or he was exasperated with Jack, or just plain disgusted with Jack's character.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
              If it wasn't too obvious, they usually left it in. There's also a scene in s10's The Quest Part II where Cliff Simon quite clearly grabs Amanda's ass (as a joke). You can see her jump, but she stays "in the scene". That one always amused me.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                If it wasn't too obvious, they usually left it in. There's also a scene in s10's The Quest Part II where Cliff Simon quite clearly grabs Amanda's ass (as a joke). You can see her jump, but she stays "in the scene". That one always amused me.
                I never noticed that! Darn. But I'm not a huge fan of seasons nine and ten so I've probably only watched it once... First David DeLuise does an ass grab and now Cliff Simon too? I'm not sorry I missed the former, but the latter would have been fun.

~

In general most of the 'repressed smiles' just fit in the scene in my opinion. It's not like Hammond could burst out laughing at something; he's the base commander, a general and he needs to behave accordingly.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  I never noticed that! Darn. But I'm not a huge fan of seasons nine and ten so I've probably only watched it once... First David DeLuise does an ass grab and now Cliff Simon too? I'm not sorry I missed the former, but the latter would have been fun.
                  And I never noticed the David DeLuise one, so I guess we're even

~

In general most of the 'repressed smiles' just fit in the scene in my opinion. It's not like Hammond could burst out laughing at something; he's the base commander, a general and he needs to behave accordingly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                    And I never noticed the David DeLuise one, so I guess we're even
                    It's in "Affinity", when Sam accepts Pete's proposal and they kiss. His hand does a little traveling down Sam's backside. I read or heard that his brother (Peter DeLuise) read him the riot act over that, because it wasn't in the script, and was being very protective of Amanda apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      It's in "Affinity", when Sam accepts Pete's proposal and they kiss. His hand does a little traveling down Sam's backside. I read or heard that his brother (Peter DeLuise) read him the riot act over that, because it wasn't in the script, and was being very protective of Amanda apparently.
                      Oh. I can see why too, that's taking a bit of a liberty. Go Pete! (DeLuise, not Shannihan)
                      sigpic

Comment

I guess she just has a delectable six
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          I guess she just has a delectable six
                          And a great set of zero's on the front Hmmm, after that, if Peter DeLuise tore strips off his brother, he'd likely punch me in the face

It's hard to tell sometimes (heck, every show seems to say on the 'extra features' that the cast gets along like a house on fire, but it can't always be true) but they did seem to get along well. They'd have to in order to work together for that long. One would have to expect a bit of levity in the workplace, else they'd go a bit stir crazy
                          sigpic

Comment

having seen the gag reel you see how much they laugh, especially Amanda. i imagine that they had great times on set. there are definetly scenes that would have been hard to not laugh during. i give Chris a lot credit for not cracking up during some of teal'c's lines.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                              having seen the gag reel you see how much they laugh, especially Amanda. i imagine that they had great times on set. there are definetly scenes that would have been hard to not laugh during. i give Chris a lot credit for not cracking up during some of teal'c's lines.
                              I must admit that I didn't give RDA enough credit when he was there. There are little things that he does - ad libs, unusual line readings and what not - that add a lot to the character, and must have made working there a lot more fun.

I don't recall the ep (I'm positive it was s8) but there was one shot where O'Neill stepped backwards (in the control room) nearer to Siler, but he did a massive fart in Siler's direction. The director held the shot a little longer so Dan Shea was trapped in the smell
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X