Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Doctor/River Song Ship/Appreciation Thread (Spoilers for all aired episodes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two more promo images from The Husbands of River Song.

The Doctor & Matt Lucas as Nardole.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/760/23...0f426bae_b.jpg

and River's arm with her fish slice, pizza cutter sonic trowel gadget & Greg Davies as King Hydroflax.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/702/23...6b17810c_b.jpg

Comment

Loads more fabulous promo pics from The Husbands of River Song.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...pecial_44.html

Comment

Doctor Who 2015 Christmas Special interviews - Peter Capaldi & Steven Moffat

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...s-special.html

Last month, Blogtor had the pleasure of sitting with actor Peter Capaldi (The Doctor) and Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat to chat about this year's Christmas Special, The Husbands of River Song.

First up, Capaldi and Moffat discussed the long-awaited return of the much-loved River Song, as played by Alex Kingston. This is what they had to say.

Spoiler:

PC: "She doesn’t know it’s me. I keep trying to convince her, so that’s fun. I get to see her behave, flirt with all kinds of people in an inappropriate way. I’m rather shocked by it!

Finally, I convince her that it’s me, she’s slightly disappointed - ‘What’s happened to my husband!? He’s aged terribly. [Laughs]"

SM: "Every year I have to contemplate this might be the last one I write. The last one - I thought let’s get River and that would sort of bring me full circle.

But also, and much more importantly, I was very, very tired and Brian [Minchin, executive producer] was asking what we going to do for Christmas and it just cheered me up, the idea that River could be in it because I hadn’t written for years and I love writing River.

Also, Russell’s [T Davies, former Doctor Who showrunner] been at me for a while. [Adopts RTD impression] ‘You can’t write her out yet! Capaldi and Kingston - it’s a sex storm!’ It’s not called ‘Sex Storm.' [Laughs]

They are very sexy together, of course."

Both Peter and Steven moved on to discuss the tone of this year's Doctor Who Christmas Special, which has already been described as a "romp."

PC: "It’s more kind of festive fare [than Last Christmas]. Though I like a good scare - the ghost story at Christmas. It’s much more fun, it isn’t as frightening. It’s Doctor Who in a more comic sort of vein, with lots of snow and Dickensian streets and monsters and flying saucers."

SM: "I think this is quite a funny Christmas special. Last year, although Father Christmas was in it, it was actually quite dark. This series itself goes quite dark at the end so we bring back up at the end. It’s mainly about them [The Doctor and River], it’s mainly one huge long domestic in space with a big robot.

The Beeb, quite rightly, are insistent that it’s Christmassy, properly Christmassy. You have to be aware that some bastards are dragged screaming into the living room to watch Doctor Who when normally they’re excused that duty. [Laughs] So you want to be accessible to them."

I asked Steven if comedians Greg Davies (The Inbetweeners) and Matt Lucas (Little Britain) figured in the writing process from the beginning.

"I didn’t have them in mind particularly, no. Those were our first outlandish ideas and, on that occasion, it happened! It’s not even a very big part for Matt but he was available, he had a gap in his schedule, he fancied showing off on Christmas Day."

Comment

Oh my! This story just gets better and better.

Matt Smith and David Tennant are not happy that River Song is returning to Doctor Who with Peter Capaldi

River Song's return in the Christmas special has "hacked off" her protective former Doctors - leading to Matt Smith to confront his on-screen wife on her wedding day..

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...-peter-capaldi

Both David Tennant and Matt Smith are pretty unimpressed that River Song is returning to Doctor Who without them.

The Tenth and Eleventh Doctors are understandably quite protective of their 'wife', so they both found it a little weird when they discovered Alex Kingston would be starring opposite Peter Capaldi in this year's Who Christmas special.

"I'm really possessive over Alex [Kingston]," former Doctor Matt Smith told a Comic Con audience at New Orleans last year. "I said this to Steven [Moffat]. I was like, ‘Listen, just don’t! Just not Alex. Anyone else, but don’t give [Capaldi] River... I am really proud of the fact that Alex was part of number Eleven’s life. My wife!”

Fast forward to earlier this year, where Kingston married her (real) long-term partner, TV producer Jonathan Stamp, in Rome. Not everyone was thrilled, for her 'other' husband was also in attendance, and he had just found out the bad news...

“He was very cross with me,” laughs Kingston when Smith learned about River Song's Christmas special return, “and on my wedding day! I hadn't told him, I hadn't told anybody. And he found out. I don't want to say what he said, but he was cross! I just had to remind him that he and Peter Capaldi are the same man - and so was David [Tennant]."

Ah, but it sounds like the Tenth Doctor - who first met River in 2008's Silence in the Library - has not taken it well either.

Speaking to RadioTimes.com about Smith's heartbreak, Steven Moffat says, "I'm quite happy that [the former Doctors] are all a bit sulky. I think David was a bit hacked off, actually. Because – and this actually happened – Russell T Davies and David bumped into Alex in the Hollywood Bowl and David said, 'Did I hear that you're back in Doctor Who?' and she said, 'Yes I am.' And then David asked 'What's happening?' And she just went, 'Spoilers!' She actually said it. In real life!??"

So what does current Doctor Peter Capaldi think of his predecessors' jealousy? Unsurprisingly he's keeping it classy.

“Really? Oh, that’s very sweet of him," Capaldi said when informed of Smith's green-eyed reaction. "But again it’s different. My Doctor is different from the Doctors who were there when Alex first arrived. This Doctor’s different from that. So things don’t…it’s a different dynamic."

In other words, there's no need for River's former Time Lords to take it too personally – especially if they will insist on leaving the series.

Comment

Alex Kingston on returning as River Song: "We've started calling it Doctor Blue"

Hello, sweetie! Alex Kingston tells RadioTimes.com that she thought she had seen the last of River Song, and why returning alongside Peter Capaldi heralds the coming of a "sex storm..."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...it-doctor-blue

The return of River Song was as much a surprise to Alex Kingston as it was to anyone else. After all, the Doctor's time-travelling wife – who, like the book, always meets her husband in reverse-order – seemingly had her swansong in 2013's The Name of the Doctor, where Matt Smith kissed her goodbye.

“I thought that was it. I was never officially told, 'that's it,' but enough time had passed since the last episode to think, 'that's that.' But Steven Moffat and [former showrunner] Russell T Davies had mentioned in interviews what fun it would be to explore River with Peter Capaldi's Doctor. I thought, 'They wouldn't entertain an idea like that in print unless a seed's growing somewhere.' And then, a few months back, I suddenly got the call to be in the Christmas special.”

What Russell T Davies had actually said is that the clash of Kingston and Capaldi would be a “sex storm.” And you can see what he means. For ever since the words, 'hello, sweetie,' in 2008's Silence in the Library, River Song has made a name for the theatrically filthy – a character who, in Kingston's own words, would, “give William Hartnell a heart-attack”. Those innuendos and advances were played for laughs against the – at-the-time – 27 year-old Smith. But Capaldi is 57, much closer to her own 52. Should we get the umbrellas out?

“Well, it's a family show,” she smiles. “But there have been moments on set where we've started calling it 'Doctor Blue'.” She lets out an enormous cackle – just the way you think she would.

Yet the dynamic between Song and the Twelfth Doctor is different in more ways than one: she doesn't know who he is. It's what happens when you bump into your wife with an entirely new face and don't tell her – something that Kingston, speaking to me in the early days of filming, can relate to.

“I'm used to change. I had that experience of going from David [Tennant] to Matt. It's taken me a few days to gauge Peter but that's fitting of the story. I'm learning and becoming more familiar with who Peter has created as the Doctor... At the moment the Doctor's confused, not sure why I don't recognise him. And that's fun. The interaction between them is sort of like the old slapstick movies, like Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn. It's got that sort of screwball quality to it.”

But wait, why doesn't the Doctor just tell her who he is? And does Alex Kingston's return herald a role as full-time companion? Not for the first time today she just grins. “Spoilers!”

Comment

Wonderful, wonderful trailers for The Husbands of River Song.

Comment

And another one.

Comment

I LOVE the promos, even though I'm not to keen on the "other husband" plot. Love how they made one comical and one dramatic promo for the episode
                  sigpic
                  My Site || My Blog

Comment

So, how dead are you all from that special? I know I am...

I made a video for it, but stupid youtube decided to block it worldwide, so I have to share my website link instead:

First video on the list
                    sigpic
                    My Site || My Blog

Comment

Loved loved loved the special! OMG! I so cried! Hubby looked at me like I was crazy.

And to make it all worse, they pretty much closed the door on all future Doctor/River goodness! *cries some more*
                      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                        Loved loved loved the special! OMG! I so cried! Hubby looked at me like I was crazy.

And to make it all worse, they pretty much closed the door on all future Doctor/River goodness! *cries some more*
                        I know, right? I mean, it was beautiful, and I both loved and hated that they went to Darillium, and that we did get to see her receive the sonic. I'm very satisfied with the last 20 minutes of the episode, from River's emotional outburst, to the teasing, the flirting, the way he made the restaurant happen just so he could make that night happen. And I'm happy that one night will equal to 24 years, but still, it means no more River
                        sigpic
                        My Site || My Blog

Comment

Spoiler:
                          River Song mentions to 10 about Durnium and the singing monoliths, and we see thirteen taking her there for a night, talk about Timey Wimey, really fun episode tho
                          Last Movie Watched
                          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                          Life is Strange

Comment

I almost thought there might have been some nudging of time - given the whole "First Night/Last Night" short on one of the with 11. Ah, well.
                            sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Still not over the Christmas special. From all the funny lines and awesomeness to the emotion. Perfect ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X