Girls & Science Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Girls still, for the most part, seem to shy away from science fiction. But I too have noticed that more have been embracing the amazing genre.

Now if only we could turn them away from the stupid reality shows...
    Well if it helps I hate reality shows with a heated passion of a thousand burning suns And I'm a woman Oh and I also hate soaps See, they aren't even important enough to start with a capital letter. Not like Sci-Fi

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
    Like others have told you, you're hanging with the wrong people.

The woman in my avatar & sig image is Joanne Kelly from Warehouse 13. She plays Myka and is WAY more gorgeous than Valerie Harper.
    Myka is awesome
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
      Well if it helps I hate reality shows with a heated passion of a thousand burning suns And I'm a woman Oh and I also hate soaps See, they aren't even important enough to start with a capital letter. Not like Sci-Fi
      Lol...Ya, when I found out 2 major soaps were ending this year I cheered...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
        Looking on You Tube there seems to be a lot of young women making videos about their favorite science fiction shows, when I was a young man (in the last century) girls were turned off by guys who liked science fiction. My question is, what's happened, and why couldn't it have happened 25 years ago??? [ATTACH=CONFIG]33209[/ATTACH]
        I grew up in the same era you did (and a bit earlier) and not only did I grow up watching scifi and reading it, I began writing it myself at the age of 12 or 13, in 1977. And a number of my male friends and even some of my boyfriends liked scifi too. Sometimes we even collaborated on creative projects in the genre.

To this day, a love of scifi is one of the traits I devoutly desire in a man. HUGE turn-on!

Oh, and reality shows and soaps bore me to tears. MY reality television involves travelogues, science and nature documentaries, and some of the zany cooking-related shows on the Food network (when I even bother to watch TV at all anymore... I've got a DVD player and my scifi disks).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I have personally been in love with Science Fiction for as long as I can remember. I remember my parents watching Star Trek together, and for some reason they didn't want me to watch it because of violence or something. I was maybe four at this time. So I hid under the coffee table and watched it anyway.

At ten I really got into Star Wars and boast a collection of over 65 Star Wars books, and watch any sci-fi show I can get my hands on. So you must have just been hanging out with the wrong crowd, because I have a lot of friends who are also sci-fi fans, and at least two who are fellow Stargate fans.

Conventions are a good place to find other sci-fi fans, especially girls since many of them frequent conventions. Anime conventions especially. Most of the video game and sci-fi cosplayers at anime conventions are girls. The majority of the Doctor Who, Portal, Half-Life, and Assassin's Creed cosplayers I saw at Youmacon 2011 this year were girls. Including me, I was dressed as Alyx Vance.

Comment

I don't know, I just never met any when I was young enough for it to have mattered.
            sigpic
            Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Working...
            X