Girls & Science Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls & Science Fiction

Looking on You Tube there seems to be a lot of young women making videos about their favorite science fiction shows, when I was a young man (in the last century) girls were turned off by guys who liked science fiction. My question is, what's happened, and why couldn't it have happened 25 years ago??? 4thDoctors.gif
    sigpic
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

I grew up on SciFi/Fantasy. Maybe you were looking in the wrong places. Most of my friends (women and men) all love scifi and always have. We're all in our 40's/50's too.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Strange, I never met any girls who were into science fiction, my old girlfriends tolerated it, but none liked it.

By the way, who is that woman in your avatar? She looks sort of like Valerie Harper.
      sigpic

Comment

Girls still, for the most part, seem to shy away from science fiction. But I too have noticed that more have been embracing the amazing genre.

Now if only we could turn them away from the stupid reality shows...
        sigpic

Comment

I only know two girls who really like it, the others really do not care about it sadly. I have never even met a cool girl in real life who also embraced this genre as I do..
          sigpic

Comment

You have to go to more conventions Sometimes, there are even more women than men. Most of my friends are sci-fi/fantasy fans and I think it really is 50/50. I have been a sci-fi fan since I saw Star Trek on TV (I was 11) and I never thought there was something strange about it.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

My girlfriend is an absolute fanatic of Doctor Who, especially Tom Baker years...But she won't watch Stargate or practically anything else I like because she finds them "too cheesey"...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                Looking on You Tube there seems to be a lot of young women making videos about their favorite science fiction shows, when I was a young man (in the last century) girls were turned off by guys who liked science fiction. My question is, what's happened, and why couldn't it have happened 25 years ago??? [ATTACH=CONFIG]33209[/ATTACH]
                They women were there but because the internet wasn't prevalent then, you had to go to conventions to meet them.

I'm a was a scifi fan back then but before I found a local fan club and conventions, I didn't know anyone either. But I went to a couple conventions a year in the mid 80's and 90's and there were always more women than men.
                Last edited by Thunderstorm; 20 December 2011, 02:05 PM.
                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I have watched lots of science fiction (and fantasy) shows. I pretty much grew up watching Star Trek- the Next Generation.
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Lol. Personally I find geeks attractive. A guy's chances with me go up by about 10% if he's into SciFi. I guess most girls just ain't awesome enough to be s SciFi geek.

Comment

I have found that a lot of girls studying computer science are into SciFi, but sadly there are not as many women in compSci as men .
                      At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

I'm in my 40s, and grew up loving science fiction and having lots of friends, both male and female, that loved it. In the circles I was in, it was odder to not like science fiction (and fantasy, such as Tolkien) than to like it. Sounds like you were hanging with the wrong bunch!
                        sigpic
                        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Sounds like you were hanging with the wrong bunch!
                          I guess so!! Back then in those halcyon days of yore, the only places around here to meet other science fiction fans was at one of the local comic book stores, but the only women I ever saw in there were my girlfriends that I brought with me, standing by the door yelling "Hurry up, let's go"! 4thDoctorrlol.gif
                          sigpic

Comment

Now, comic books cost too much, but back in the late 60's, early 70's when they were 25 cents or less, I bought lots and lots. They are all sitting in a couple boxes (along with my baseball cards) and I keep saying I'll go thru them to see if they are worth any money. I doubt it though because back then as kids we didn't think about keeping them in good condition to resell late, they are in well-loved and well read condition.
                            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                              Strange, I never met any girls who were into science fiction, my old girlfriends tolerated it, but none liked it.

By the way, who is that woman in your avatar? She looks sort of like Valerie Harper.
                              Like others have told you, you're hanging with the wrong people.

The woman in my avatar & sig image is Joanne Kelly from Warehouse 13. She plays Myka and is WAY more gorgeous than Valerie Harper.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X