Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Soccer ball

Default Re: why after 2000 years is Novus not that much more advanced then present day earth?

My thoughts, exactly!

But here's canon, from Blockade, when they dial Pittsburgh:

ELI: The archive said our people spread out from Novus for centuries. That's enough time for dozens of planets to be settled with large populations.
    YOUNG: They don't seem as advanced.
    ELI: Depending on resources, ideology, isolation, they'd all advance at different rates.
    Eli's only speculating, but it lends weight to the notion of a "decentralized" colonization effort.

Of course, the Novans are key to my fanfic ending/continuing SGU, so I speculated there on their possible colonization patterns too.

Default Re: why after 2000 years is Novus not that much more advanced then present day earth?

Thanks for the quote! I was looking exclusively at "Common Descent" and "Epilogue" for details. I had forgotten about "Blockade" entirely.

Soccer ball

The subtitle files for all episodes help with searching.

Here's another from Blockade, a couple minutes earlier:

GREER: I hope we don't have to use any bullets. We're runnin' low.
    YOUNG: Brody'll have to make some new ones.
    They're on Destiny, not Novus, but doesn't sound like a joke. Brody is a one-man industry by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Had they taken the stones they would have surpassed the ancients with the head start that would have given them.
    Why, the Ancient Shad the stones for more than fifty million years?

Chief Master Sergeant

i wonder if they are somehow the reasons those aliens are obsessed with destiny?

anyways books do deteriorate but they would have had a order of librarians or professors who stored and taught ancient knowledge, the real issue is war and desperation create new ideas, and the truth is they may have had a sucesful colonization effort perfectly preserving everything so no one had to think of new ideas, just learn what they were taught and find ways to apply it, thier methods of thinking may have changed so drastically over time to not being born on earth or in the galaxy they were genetically from that they may not even be able to think in certain patterns that lead to great new ideas very easily, it may require them generations just to develop a completely new realized method of space travel, and why would they need space travel without war or enemies? they have thier colonies with resources and computers and freinds, content means a lack of exploration or expansion of ideas and the lack of interest in gaining more power or technology etc

slothe is a product of contentment, fear is a producer of creativity, rage and anger lead to the gathering of power and knowledge, and happyness.... is its own reward for having gotten to that point

Novus, i think a more advanced Novus or its colony planets than what the writers chose to set the civilization at when the Destiny meets their descendants in Common Descent would have been the wrong call. The crew of Destiny stranded on Novus, alone multiple galaxies from home with no way of telling if they have been sent far backwards in time or far forwards (surely some of them had heard about John Sheppard being sent 48,000 years into the future once before) their first concern would be to find shelter to survive through the night and hope there would be no dangerous wildlife on the planet. then they could turn their attention to other problems and use their scientific skills to find clean drinking water and enough food for everyone. Yes they had a lot of very smart people stranded together and after they had built tools, homes, a fence to surround the settlement then it was smart of people like Eli to preserve knowledge but much of the knowledge he, and others possessed, would be of little use to the next generations their concerns would not be with technology that is centuries beyond them or Earth that multiple galaxies away and possibly fully forgotten. The writers could have gone in the other direction and made the people of Novus even more advanced than modern day Earth than they chose to but that would have been a stretch in my mind as they wanted to show how the crew of Destiny was remembered 2000 years later. i find parallels between the whole Novus story line and the end of Battlestar Galactica (2009) where survivors find a new planet to call home and much knowledge is lost (in case of BSG this was mostly done on purpose) but some survived such as religion (BSG) and cherished greetings (SGU).

Quote Originally Posted by EvaWallE7744 View Post
    Novus, i think a more advanced Novus or its colony planets than what the writers chose to set the civilization at when the Destiny meets their descendants in Common Descent would have been the wrong call. The crew of Destiny stranded on Novus, alone multiple galaxies from home with no way of telling if they have been sent far backwards in time or far forwards (surely some of them had heard about John Sheppard being sent 48,000 years into the future once before) their first concern would be to find shelter to survive through the night and hope there would be no dangerous wildlife on the planet. then they could turn their attention to other problems and use their scientific skills to find clean drinking water and enough food for everyone. Yes they had a lot of very smart people stranded together and after they had built tools, homes, a fence to surround the settlement then it was smart of people like Eli to preserve knowledge but much of the knowledge he, and others possessed, would be of little use to the next generations their concerns would not be with technology that is centuries beyond them or Earth that multiple galaxies away and possibly fully forgotten. The writers could have gone in the other direction and made the people of Novus even more advanced than modern day Earth than they chose to but that would have been a stretch in my mind as they wanted to show how the crew of Destiny was remembered 2000 years later. i find parallels between the whole Novus story line and the end of Battlestar Galactica (2009) where survivors find a new planet to call home and much knowledge is lost (in case of BSG this was mostly done on purpose) but some survived such as religion (BSG) and cherished greetings (SGU).
    In theory Novus should be more advanced, since they had a jump-start and as mentioned previously by other posters no dark ages or anything alike. In practice, I do not believe this to be true, for a few simple reasons. Here is why I don't think that Novus could be more advanced:

Resources: Good luck trying to find large deposits of gold, silver and so on to create electronic components.

Infrastructures: They have nothing, need to build it from scratch. That means prospecting for metal, create forges, etc. It's basically starting a new Minecraft game with an empty inventory.

Workforce (most important aspect): It would take generations to build a suitable workforce for any ventures, considering that the survival aspect had to be a priority. They won't build iphones before they get good crops and farms.

Knowledge: One single man, even though Eli is a genius, cannot possibly hold all the essential scientific knowledge on top of its head. It is obvious that a good portion of the knowledge was lost / missing.

More advanced than us? Maybe in some specific fields but otherwise I would say no.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaWallE7744 View Post
    i find parallels between the whole Novus story line and the end of Battlestar Galactica (2009) where survivors find a new planet to call home and much knowledge is lost (in case of BSG this was mostly done on purpose) but some survived such as religion (BSG) and cherished greetings (SGU).
    There are also the Ancients who returned to Earth 10,000 years ago and like the colonial survivors in BSG, gave up on the idea of rebuilding their civilization, preferring instead to settle among the human population and, with the exception of gently nudging them to create a civilization of their own, lived out their lives among the humans without trying to pass down their scientific knowledge.

Of course, this only refers one faction of the returning Ancient population. Some also spent their lives trying to ascend, while others left Earth entirely.