Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe (3214)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Thank you both for your points. That actually cleared up a lot of things about the episode for me. I know that the impact suit, especially its "repair" systems, addressed much of the re-entry issue. Now the vacuum issue was what I was mostly concerned about. I think it's fair to say that if he were human, the Doctor would've been frozen by the vacuum and then quickly roasted upon re-entry. Ice and fire. What a way to go.

I didn't know about the precedent set forth in the canon about the Doctor surviving in hard vacuum, so thanks for pointing that out. If it's been established before, and it's consistent, that's really what I'm looking for.
    Depends on how good the suit is - there are current hypothetical tech which would make a free fall from orbit practicable the Russians have been testing inflatable ballute's.

And people don't explode when exposed to vacuum remember the scene in 2001 when Dave gets back into the ship sans suit.
    ----------------------------
    You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by 4thDoctor View Post
    It does seem as if 'Doctor Who' as a show is moving away from science fiction and closer to fantasy. The Doctor himself seems to be becoming more and more immature as he grows older, I mean can you picture Doctors 1-6 taking children to Christmas Tree Land? The Doctor used to be all about the science, even chiding his companions about believing in magic or the supernatural, now he seems to be all about fantasy and sentiment. Maybe now that he is in his 11th life he's becoming a touch senile and over emotional with old age.

Spoiler:
    And what is this nonsense about being able to contact the Doctor just by making a wish?
    Spoiler:
    As shown in "Night Terrors", The TARDIS can pick up on children's requests, probably has something to do with keeping it's telepathic cicuits active, keeping aware of all the people The Doctor's helped over the years just in case there in need of assistance

I loved this special, nice nods to Androzani, but one problem I had was this...and no, it's not the beggining of the episode (I loved how cheeky that was),

Spoiler:
    it's got to do with the Forest King and Queen's rationale that women are stronger carriers for the forest...wouldnt it have made more sense for them to lure the boy's sister into the trap?

But if you can just wish for the Doctor and he'll come, then why did the 4th Doctor have to give the Brigadier a transmitter that could signal him through time and space? (Terror of the Zygons)
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

It does seem as if 'Doctor Who' as a show is moving away from science fiction and closer to fantasy. The Doctor himself seems to be becoming more and more immature as he grows older, I mean can you picture Doctors 1-6 taking children to Christmas Tree Land? The Doctor used to be all about the science, even chiding his companions about believing in magic or the supernatural, now he seems to be all about fantasy and sentiment. Maybe now that he is in his 11th life he's becoming a touch senile and over emotional with old age.

Spoiler:
    And what is this nonsense about being able to contact the Doctor just by making a wish?
    Well I've often said that the 11th Doctor comes across as being the senile Doctor. But he's also the Doctor who has been most determined to forget about the Timelords so he has a appearence of overcompensating and trying to enjoy life to the fullest.
    I agree about the more fantasy like nature of the show, however this I don't find a bad thing. What we see as fantasy is all science in the DW universe. I have no problem accepting this because it makes the show that much more magical. You don't need the technobabble, you just need accept that some how it happens.
    Interestingly based on the classic Episode 'Battlefield' The Doctor during some point in his life is even suposed to pass himself off as Merlin so the fact that the doctor is getting more and more into passing things off as magic then it fits quite nicely.
    But yes the Doctor is definately more sentimental. I mean even the 10th Doctor wouldn't have really done something like that in this episode but there we are. This Doctor is intentionally ridiculous.

But if you can just wish for the Doctor and he'll come, then why did the 4th Doctor have to give the Brigadier a transmitter that could signal him through time and space? (Terror of the Zygons)
    I doubt it's that simple. More likely, every now and then he'll just check up on Madge's history like he has done with a number of companions before, and if he sees that something is very wrong he'll go back and visit her. Perhaps even pinpointing her desire to have the Doctor with her again by channelling her thoughts through the Psychic paper.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Pining for more Haven, Grimm, and Continuum

I usually enjoy the Christmas specials, but this one was just plain bad.

The Good:
    At least we had some new Who.

The Bad:
    An absurd beginning
    It was horribly slow. Add BBC America commercials so that 80 mins becomes 120 minutes, and the darn thing wouldn't end.
    The end was too over the top. Not every family can be reunited. Helping the family and comforting them would have been nice.

I also dislike when they make 11 absurd by giving him leftover 10 scenes. MS did not have enough to do.

It was disappointing, but I look forward to series 7.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

First Lieutenant

My hubby and I liked it. Not loved it, but thought it was nice.
    I personally like the Christmas past,present,& future *Scrooge* parody special from last year better.
    But this *forest* story was nice in its own way(s) too.
    Spoiler:
    nobody really died, and it really had no horribly evil bad guys except for the acid rain.

I don't remember the old / classic DWho's ever having a Christmas special, so this (Christmas) "holiday" specials trend seems to be something geared from the start of the rebooting of the series during Doctor #9.

Spoiler:
    I have to agree with this. Back in the old days it was that the Doctor had to do something Puesdo Scientific to win the day...now it can be saved by hugs and kisses....sigh I am getting old.
    I like Sharky

Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    I don't remember the old / classic DWho's ever having a Christmas special, so this (Christmas) "holiday" specials trend seems to be something geared from the start of the rebooting of the series during Doctor #9.
    And you would be remembering correctly Whilst Christmas was referenced on occasion during the show's original run, it was never the focus of an episode in the way that the show has been doing since its revival.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

I noticed everyone seems to have an issue with the spacesuit and Eleventh surviving in a vacuum for a short amount of time (we could hear him so I say there was an air tunnel), but am I the only one who has a problem with a WW2 plane flying through the time vortex, following a giant wooden golf ball powered by the souls of trees which turn into a wavelength of light and end up travelling through space?

I'm starting to think Moff's Christmas episodes aren't really about making sense but just having some magicy, fell good aspect to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    but am I the only one who has a problem with a WW2 plane flying through the time vortex, following a giant wooden golf ball powered by the souls of trees which turn into a wavelength of light and end up travelling through space?
    *raises hand*

I commented on that!
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Staff Sergeant

I didn't find it a great stretch of the imagination:
    The Trees of Cheem where time sensitive.
    The trees in this episode where obviously time sensitive.
    There power being channelled by a woman who thought her husband had died & using that memory as a focal point. The mental power of that many time sensitive's could easily have protected the aeroplane bringing it through the vortex.
    Watch the beginning of Trial of a Time Lord (or all of it, I think its very underrated) to get an idea of how powerful many powerful minds can be in the Doctor Who universe.

I noticed everyone seems to have an issue with the spacesuit and Eleventh surviving in a vacuum for a short amount of time (we could hear him so I say there was an air tunnel), .

In the 4 to Doomsday story the Doctor survived in the vacuum of space for something like 10 min or so with just a oxy helmet. His time lord physiologiy was strong enough for that... If I recall correctly.
    So there is that precedence anyway.
    I like Sharky

but am I the only one who has a problem with a WW2 plane flying through the time vortex,
    Not at all. That's British engineering for you!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

You lot should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. A bigger lot of Grumpy Old Men I have never come across. This episode was made for the 7 pm slot on Christmas Day. I bet nearly every single one of the nation's children was tuned in and enjoyed it thoroughly. I personally couldn't give a toss whether the Doctor survived in a vacuum or went to Narnia. All I care about is that it was a lovely, feel-good Christmassy story that my daughter loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    You lot should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. A bigger lot of Grumpy Old Men I have never come across. This episode was made for the 7 pm slot on Christmas Day. I bet nearly every single one of the nation's children was tuned in and enjoyed it thoroughly. I personally couldn't give a toss whether the Doctor survived in a vacuum or went to Narnia. All I care about is that it was a lovely, feel-good Christmassy story that my daughter loved.
    QFT.

If we can't have a bit of magic and 'feel-good' on Christmas day, when can we have it? Christmas is a time for miracles, and I would have been thoroughly unimpressed with anything less than a happily ever after at the end of that episode, despite my general appreciation of darker approaches to storytelling.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

"Come along now Jo, you know very well that it's science and not magic that wins the day".

"Come along now Jo, you know very well that it's science and not magic that wins the day".

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/miracles.jpg
    'There are more things in heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in you philosophy, even yours Doctor.'

Charles-Dickens.jpg

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Yeah well, I don't watch it because I care what British children think; I watch it because I enjoy well-written and entertaining television. That, this episode, was not. So...NYAH

'There are more things in heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in you philosophy, even yours Doctor.'

Oh.....Flap-Doodle!

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Yeah well, I don't watch it because I care what British children think; I watch it because I enjoy well-written and entertaining television. That, this episode, was not. So...NYAH
    Don't you mean "Bah Humbug"?