Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enterprise "Zero Hour" - Where was Starfleet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise "Zero Hour" - Where was Starfleet?

Enterprise NX-01 is Starfleet's first deep-space starship. For their to be a Starfleet, there has to be a fleet of ships! We've seen a few besides the NX-01. As of "The Expanse" (Season 2 finale), we've seen the Intrepid-type and the Warp-Delta. "Storm Front, Part II" introduced the Sarajevo-type as well. At the end of "Storm Front, Part II," we see a fleet of starships welcoming Enterprise back to Earth. There are Starfleet and Vulcan ships, and perhaps ships from Earth's allies. I count at least twenty ships.

In "Zero Hour," the only ships defending Earth from the Xindi Death Star where Degra's shuttle and Shran's battle cruiser Kumari. Where was Starfleet?

I've asked that same question. Episodes written by Berman and Braga often have those sorts of holes. It makes me wish I was in the meeting where they discussed this episode.
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

It takes time mobolize your fleet. You can't do it at a snap of a finger. They weren't expecting the Xindi due to the Xindi's method of travel is different from warp
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        It takes time mobolize your fleet. You can't do it at a snap of a finger. They weren't expecting the Xindi due to the Xindi's method of travel is different from warp
        But, after the first attack in "The Expanse", one would think Starfleet would be ready and have ships patrolling the home sector.

Of course, Star Trek seems to always have this sort of problem--where the Enterprise is the only ship available. It happens in The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Final Frontier, and Generations. There's an emergency and the Enterprise is the either the only ship in range or the best for the job -- even if she's falling apart (Enterprise-A) or incomplete (Enterprise-B).
        sigpic
        "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:

Comment

The Xindi came out of no where. Even if they were prepared it would take time to get everything started up. It would be like a ship just appearing on radar in the middle of your fleet with no advance warning. No preparations would be enough
          Jelgate is right

Comment

The Xindi came out of no where. Even if they were prepared it would take time to get everything started up. It would be like a ship just appearing on radar in the middle of your fleet with no advance warning. No preparations would be enough
            They knew the Xindi were coming for almost a year. I would accept that Starfleet couldn't have ships waiting at the coordinates that the Superweapon emerged from the vortex, but given how quickly those three ships came to Enterprise's aid in "The Expanse", Starfleet and Vulcans should have been able to have a ship or two join the battle at some point.
            sigpic

My Books:

Comment

I know exactly where your coming from. It's like TNG 'best of both worlds, part 2' where was Earth space dock?

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
                They knew the Xindi were coming for almost a year. I would accept that Starfleet couldn't have ships waiting at the coordinates that the Superweapon emerged from the vortex, but given how quickly those three ships came to Enterprise's aid in "The Expanse", Starfleet and Vulcans should have been able to have a ship or two join the battle at some point.
                They saw the Nx-01 because of warp drive. We know from so many past series that ships or planets in this matter can see warp vessels from a vast distance. The form of travel for Xindi is quite different than warp and seems to be unable to spot on sensors
                Jelgate is right

Comment

They had a year to prepare. The NX-01 being chased by a Klingon ship into Earth's solar system gets aided by three Starfleet ships in "The Expanse." The Xindi Death Star shows up a year later, and... nothing?

Originally posted by McClance View Post
                  Of course, Star Trek seems to always have this sort of problem--where the Enterprise is the only ship available. It happens in The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Final Frontier, and Generations. There's an emergency and the Enterprise is the either the only ship in range or the best for the job -- even if she's falling apart (Enterprise-A) or incomplete (Enterprise-B).
                  In TMP, you're right, it was a bit silly that the Enterprise was the ONLY starship in Earth's solar system. As for TWOK, the Enterprise was investigating a distress message from space station Regula 1. Being the only ship available had nothing to do with the story. As for TFF, I thought it was simply the Admiral wanting James T. Kirk and the Enterprise? Finally, we come to Generations. Surely there were other ships in the area, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that the two ships were breaking up in the Nexus, and it was either act immediately or let another ship find their wreckage.

Originally posted by Dazzle foot View Post
                  I know exactly where your coming from. It's like TNG 'best of both worlds, part 2' where was Earth space dock?
                  On the other side of the Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    They had a year to prepare. The NX-01 being chased by a Klingon ship into Earth's solar system gets aided by three Starfleet ships in "The Expanse." The Xindi Death Star shows up a year later, and... nothing?

In TMP, you're right, it was a bit silly that the Enterprise was the ONLY starship in Earth's solar system. As for TWOK, the Enterprise was investigating a distress message from space station Regula 1. Being the only ship available had nothing to do with the story. As for TFF, I thought it was simply the Admiral wanting James T. Kirk and the Enterprise? Finally, we come to Generations. Surely there were other ships in the area, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that the two ships were breaking up in the Nexus, and it was either act immediately or let another ship find their wreckage.

On the other side of the Earth?
                    I explained this already. Their was no warning. Sensors would have shown the Nx-01 due to warp travel. As far as we know you can't sense ships in the Xindi vortex.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The space battle lasted what, half the episode? There was PLENTY of TIME for Starfleet to detect a few ships in Earth orbit which hadn't been there previously. Knowing how the Xindi satellite of doom caught Earth by surprise, they'd be constantly looking for the Xindi Death Star and unauthorized ships. Earth should have detected the Xindi within minutes and mobilized a fleet of ships to aide Degra's shuttle and Shran's battle cruiser.

Comment

In TWOK, while the Enterprise is on training maneuvers, Kirk gets a call from Dr. Marcus, the communications become garbled, Kirk informs Starfleet, Starfleet sends the Enterprise to investigate because she's the "only ship in the quadrant," as Kirk tells Spock.

In TFF, the admiral said there were other ships, but no experienced commanders (anywhere between Earth and the Neutral Zone). So, he needed Kirk.

In Generations, Enterprise-B received the distress call while still in Sol System, just having cleared the asteroid belt. Harriman tried to signal the closest ship, but they were the closest (and they were still in the system).

"Best of Both Worlds" was different. There, Starfleet did mobilize a fleet, which engaged the Borg at Wolf 359. I'm sure we all know what happened there.
                        sigpic

My Books:

Comment

The space battle lasted what, half the episode? There was PLENTY of TIME for Starfleet to detect a few ships in Earth orbit which hadn't been there previously. Knowing how the Xindi satellite of doom caught Earth by surprise, they'd be constantly looking for the Xindi Death Star and unauthorized ships. Earth should have detected the Xindi within minutes and mobilized a fleet of ships to aide Degra's shuttle and Shran's battle cruiser.
                          Its often a misconception to translate TV time into real time.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

No one's suggesting such. The point is, Starfleet's expecting a weapon capable of destroying the whole planet. A fleet of ships should be circling the Earth... waiting. The Xindi Death Star shows up. Where's the fleet?

Comment

Thats a complete waste of resources and fuel.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X