• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Depths (411)

Visit the Episode GuideSANCTUARY SEASON FOUR
    THE DEPTHS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 411

After tangling with a monster hunter that has captured a legendary Abnormal in the caves of Bolivia, Magnus and Will are injured and trapped in a cave-in. Meanwhile, Henry records video messages meant for his future child.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 27 March 2021, 08:06 PM.

Okie dokie... Here's my thoughts.

It was good. Everything to be expected of a bottle show-- slight whump, confined spaces, strained tension between trapped individuals, and the promise of angst to come.

That said, I feel that it started off strong, but then kind of petered off towards the end. First half, I didn't really mind Will so much. He brought up valid concerns I thought TPTB should have made note of, and clearly it had been building for more than a few episodes.

But as the episode continued, he slid right past understandable to downright wussy. Whimpering and gasping like a beached fish when the pain got too bad, and I finally got so fed up I declared to my fellow viewers that he should "nut up or shut up".

Though, to be honest, it might've been the Ashley snipe that set me off. I *really* didn't like him after that.

It seemed in this episode that while Will suffered the physical whump, Magnus suffered the emotional whump (courtesy of Will, I might add). And yet, she is still caring for him back at the Sanctuary, while he is still playing the "pity me, I'm insignificant" card. Magnus was so the bigger person here.

Now, as far as plot goes, they better explain more... Are the rocks meteorite fragments? Will they be used in Henry's latest gadget? WHAT IS SHE HIDING?! (yes, I know the last one is deliberately cryptic. But still.)

Also, I wish this episode could have been flipped. Given Will the clear head while *Magnus* suffered the major whumpage. Now that would've been an awesome way to show her that a) he is capable of thinking about someone other than himself, and b) she is capable of being taken care of.

Plus, how many times have we seen Magnus wake care of Will. A role reversal would have been fresh and engaging. And it would have been interesting to see how Magnus would have acted on those "downward spirals" of withdrawal that Will suffered.

On a side note, Henry was amazing. A great distraction from the overwhelming emotions in the cavern of angst (jeez, PTB, did you have to get so freaking literal on us?). There was some awesome levity, a little bit of some Henry zaniness, all topped off with some expectant-father insecurities. So beautiful. Can I *keep* him???

So, in the end, I'm torn on this one. AT was fantastically expressive, and vulnerable, and all that amazing stuff, but I felt we'd seen the episode before. I'm glad some things were said, because I've been saying the same stuff in my fics and in my reviews of the episodes for the season, but I think they could have gotten a bit more creative in the delivery.

And of course, there's the sadness that comes with the sense that we're in the final plots of the season. Things are building up, clearly designed to come to a head in the season finale. Or more precisely: In the final scene in the final episodes of the fourth season.

There's a storm a' brewin', my fellow Sanctuarians.

We'd best be ready for it.

Comment

I liked this. Not the best, but not the worst either. I really wanted to slap, no, strangle Will at times. I didn't really see much of his points. I really liked how Magnus was defending her actions in "Fugue".

As for the B-story (if you can call it that)... It was funny and cute I suppose, but it was so random and out of place that I couldn't stand it. Completely unnecessary.

Comment

I really, really enjoyed this episode. I loved the mythos, loved the angst, etc. I thought the water would be the Fountain of Youth, or have it connected to another mythos, but oh well. I'm excited to see the new stuff about the rocks, to see if the water can be duplicated, and to see if Henry's shield can be powered by them. (Loved the Henry interludes.)
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

first i have to say good episode. when will first healed i was wondering if that was going to be permint, glad that it wasn't. and i too thought it was the fountain of youth. parts of it kind of reminded me of the movie the cave, but much better .

and henry lol. even though his videos were random they were entertaining. and of course the end about not know knowing his parents was really serious and sad.
          sigpic

Comment

Main reason I liked this episode.

Vulnerable Helen. Amanda was wonderful.

Comment

Well I'm kinda feeling conflicted with this episode. I really disliked Will. I just wanted to snot him one...little tw@t.
              I didn't enjoy any of the Henry bits. Did they really need to throw that in?
              Helen was kinda wow. I'm surprised at how calm she was half the time. I would have hit Will over the hread with a rock given half the chance but I think that secret she has means she has to restrain herself for a little longer.
              I did actually enjoy it but it was like riding a bus into town...sometimes you see something intereting and other times you just want to nod off & wait for the end of the trip.
              Definitely conmflicted with this ep.
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

-- “I’d say we have about 48 hours to clear the area, or we’ll wind up answering for this.”
                Methinks Magnus is getting just a bit frustrated at going up against SCIU and having to save their butts.

-- Martin Wood really loves to torture Amanda, doesn’t he? Had it been an ice cave they were in, I would have had even more flashes to Sam/Jack in Stargate’s “Solitudes” episode – especially the part where Magnus leaves Will to go back for more water.

-- a Quetzalcoatl mention? Wow. That was another point where my Sanctuary & Stargate fans collided again. One of the SG1 books was based around Quetzalcoatl.

-- Magnus has really taken a whumping this season, hasn’t she? I love how she gets back up and carries on with nary a wince. Although, in the past two episodes, it’s been great to see that she can show some vulnerability when injured or feeling subpar. In the last episode it was when she was in the van when it was knocked over by the bomb blast. In this one, it’s when she shows her withdrawl symptoms.

-- Where is John Druitt and his teleporting capabilities when you need them? There’s no way that I’m believing he’s dead.

-- How many lifetimes is it going to take before the entire world finally realizes that Helen Magnus is almost always right? Moran said she knew about her. Well, she didn’t seem to know enough to believe that Helen knows what she’s talking about.

-- I love that they did a lot of the tiling during the beginning where Helen takes the bullet out of Will. Writer Gillian Horvath mentioned that the episode was about 10 minutes too long, and the bullet extraction scene was about 5 minutes originally, so using the tiling and speeding that part up like they did was so much more interesting to watch.

And even more full-scene tiling when Magnus goes back for more water towards the end. I really like how they’re doing this longer in scenes than we’ve seen them do with the occasional short few-seconds of tiling.

-- Magnus & Will b!tchfests are so adorable. I just wish Will would stop his incessant whining all the time. Yes, I know he was in withdrawl during much of the whining this time, but Will’s whining has become as ubiquitous as Robin dropping his pants. However, I love Magnus/Druitt fights much better than Magnus/Will bickerings.

-- “Anger is a great motivator…overcomes fear every time.” How I love the wit & wisdom of Helen Magnus.

-- at least we got a “Bloody Hell” or two in this one as well.

-- Henry Foss, you are SO adorkable.

-- can we just call that miracle water “tretonin”, please?

-- that serpent reminded me of the one in Hollow Earth, the one they couldn’t stare directly at.

-- nice recalls back to the pilot and Will’s backstory – and I figured it would come out that Magnus paid for his education through the years. It was also great to have the references back to Helen’s 113 year seclusion, and how she felt tortured by not being able to change the mistakes she had done originally.

-- “Helen Magnus knows best” DUH.

-- I love that Helen still keeps it all “need to know”, and doesn’t tell Will everything. A lady needs her secrets, and we know Helen has some BIG ones.

-- after the great screen time for Kate & Biggie last week, it really made me miss them even more this week.

-- For some reason, I got a strange “Goonies” vibe during this episode – without One-eyed Willie’s treasure, though.

my full review can be found here
                Last edited by KayLyne; 16 December 2011, 11:31 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode! One of the best this season. (1. Tempus / 2. Chimera / 3. Acolyte / 4. The Depths).

The only thing I disliked was Henry's parts. I found them ridiculous. And Henry looked stupid...

Will was great in this episode. He was both serious and touching. His relationship with Magnus is evolving (at last!) and it was great to see her kissing him. I like when she's feeling vulnerable at times and can no longer hide in her bubble.

The end was very good. How she explained she had to let everything happen again, including death of people she cares about was touching. And this ending also foreshadows revelations about what she's been hiding since she's returned.

I look forward to next Friday's episode!!
                  sigpic

Comment

I found this episode....... meh

The tensions between Helen and Will were the only really interesting thing in the episode.
                    Will stressing that he only has one lifetime.. to magnus' endless lifetimes. Was interesting..
                    Their relationship seems like a familial mother-son relationship.

What i also found interesting is before Will hurt Magnus with the Ashley comment. When he was talking about the five.. he left out Tesla..
                    DOes that mean Magnus actually cares about Tesla? Compared to the others i mean?

The Henry parts were.. i dont know.. so random.. it felt like a way to unessecarily lengthen the episode.
                    Overall, i was dissapointed.

I hope the next episode is better
                    Spoiler:
                    so far watching previews I haven't seen tesla in the episode
                    Last edited by iJOKE; 17 December 2011, 12:04 AM.
                    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                    - Doctor Who (series 7)
                    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Originally posted by iJOKE View Post
                      What i also found interesting is before Will hurt Magnus with the Ashley comment. When he was talking about the five.. he left out Tesla..
                      DOes that mean Magnus actually cares about Tesla? Compared to the others i mean?
                      I believe it's because Tesla is the only other one still alive (and considering that Druitt's existence is still in doubt)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post
                        As for the B-story (if you can call it that)... It was funny and cute I suppose, but it was so random and out of place that I couldn't stand it. Completely unnecessary.
                        I have a feeling that the b-plot, well perhaps not the plot, but the vest will become very important. The rock fragments are likely to be the power source that he was missing.

I hope the magic water makes another appearance later in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                          I believe it's because Tesla is the only other one still alive (and considering that Druitt's existence is still in doubt)
                          Oh................ I thought its because Tesla is the only other person she cares about (besides herself)
                          Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                          - Doctor Who (series 7)
                          - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                          - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                          - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                          - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post
                            I liked this. Not the best, but not the worst either. I really wanted to slap, no, strangle Will at times. I didn't really see much of his points. I really liked how Magnus was defending her actions in "Fugue".
                            I agree with the B story line...I normally love & adore Henry but this was just boring beyond belief.
                            As for Helen defending her actions from "Fugue", she shouldn't have to but she did which I think saya a lot about her character...as in Helen's character not the character but as in the persona of Helen Magnus...did that make sense??
                            Seriously, how could anyone, especially Helen, think that Will is ready to lead the Sanctuary network. Up until now I was ok with Will but now I'm starting to wonder what the heck are the writers thinking when they write for Will.
                            And I suspect by the promo I have seen for next weeks ep, I'm going to grow to dislike Will even nore. I said it at the end of Fugue and I say it again now...I do not trust Will. Something is hinky.
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

-- Martin Wood really loves to torture Amanda, doesn’t he? Had it been an ice cave they were in, I would have had even more flashes to Sam/Jack in Stargate’s “Solitudes” episode – especially the part where Magnus leaves Will to go back for more water.
                              *gg* I had to think of Solitudes, too. and I can understand Martin.. Amanda whumping makes such great episodes!

-- a Quetzalcoatl mention? Wow. That was another point where my Sanctuary & Stargate fans collided again. One of the SG1 books was based around Quetzalcoatl.
                              I loved that the Quezacoatl of the different fandoms had so few in common. I's what makes the difference.. in Stargate mythical creatures are kinda real but in that reality they are sooo much different from what people believe.
                              In Sanctuary most of them are real and way less superstition etc is involved. They are just a bit different to what people imagine (the snake has less powes but's still a snake, not a smoky giant)

-- How many lifetimes is it going to take before the entire world finally realizes that Helen Magnus is almost always right? Moran said she knew about her. Well, she didn’t seem to know enough to believe that Helen knows what she’s talking about.
                              gooood question!

-- Magnus & Will b!tchfests are so adorable. I just wish Will would stop his incessant whining all the time. Yes, I know he was in withdrawl during much of the whining this time, but Will’s whining has become as ubiquitous as Robin dropping his pants. However, I love Magnus/Druitt fights much better than Magnus/Will bickerings.
                              exactly. I wish (if they get another season) they'd bring back parts of that curious, over-talented forensic we had in the first and maybe second season.. It's interesing to see him stand up to Magnus, but not to the point where he just gets annoying and whining.

-- Henry Foss, you are SO adorkable.
                              The Henry-parts.. I love Henry, but I can't really say i love them. But I liked them. At first I just thought "pleeeease, the cave-story's soo much more interesting, switch back!" Then again I liked they got back to the father-to-be story which got neglected for some time. All in all I loved the idea, because, for one the stones and the jacket-thing fit together and second, you see Henry joking around for his unborn kid but in the end it gets sader and angstier when he says that he doesn't know if he survives and wants his kid to know who his/her dad is. Angst-build-up for the finale! great writing!

-- can we just call that miracle water “tretonin”, please?
                              XD

-- nice recalls back to the pilot and Will’s backstory – and I figured it would come out that Magnus paid for his education through the years. It was also great to have the references back to Helen’s 113 year seclusion, and how she felt tortured by not being able to change the mistakes she had done originally.
                              yay for backgroundstory and Season 1 stuff! Never really thought about Will and the scholarship... well, that's more interesting now. Love how Helen starts to tell at least a little tiny bit about her feelings and the certury after Tempus!

All in all an episode which I really enjoyed
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X