Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Post The Depths (411)

Visit the Episode GuideSANCTUARY SEASON FOUR
    THE DEPTHS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 411

A quest to capture a legendary Abnormal in Bolivia leaves Will and Magnus injured and trapped in a cave-in, where they confront truths about themselves and their relationship; Henry records video letters to a special someone while working on an invention. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; December 17th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

getting sucked into the black hole that is PS

Default Re: The Depths (411)

Okie dokie... Here's my thoughts.

It was good. Everything to be expected of a bottle show-- slight whump, confined spaces, strained tension between trapped individuals, and the promise of angst to come.

That said, I feel that it started off strong, but then kind of petered off towards the end. First half, I didn't really mind Will so much. He brought up valid concerns I thought TPTB should have made note of, and clearly it had been building for more than a few episodes.

But as the episode continued, he slid right past understandable to downright wussy. Whimpering and gasping like a beached fish when the pain got too bad, and I finally got so fed up I declared to my fellow viewers that he should "nut up or shut up".

Though, to be honest, it might've been the Ashley snipe that set me off. I *really* didn't like him after that.

It seemed in this episode that while Will suffered the physical whump, Magnus suffered the emotional whump (courtesy of Will, I might add). And yet, she is still caring for him back at the Sanctuary, while he is still playing the "pity me, I'm insignificant" card. Magnus was so the bigger person here.

Now, as far as plot goes, they better explain more... Are the rocks meteorite fragments? Will they be used in Henry's latest gadget? WHAT IS SHE HIDING?! (yes, I know the last one is deliberately cryptic. But still.)

Also, I wish this episode could have been flipped. Given Will the clear head while *Magnus* suffered the major whumpage. Now that would've been an awesome way to show her that a) he is capable of thinking about someone other than himself, and b) she is capable of being taken care of.

Plus, how many times have we seen Magnus wake care of Will. A role reversal would have been fresh and engaging. And it would have been interesting to see how Magnus would have acted on those "downward spirals" of withdrawal that Will suffered.

On a side note, Henry was amazing. A great distraction from the overwhelming emotions in the cavern of angst (jeez, PTB, did you have to get so freaking literal on us?). There was some awesome levity, a little bit of some Henry zaniness, all topped off with some expectant-father insecurities. So beautiful. Can I *keep* him???

So, in the end, I'm torn on this one. AT was fantastically expressive, and vulnerable, and all that amazing stuff, but I felt we'd seen the episode before. I'm glad some things were said, because I've been saying the same stuff in my fics and in my reviews of the episodes for the season, but I think they could have gotten a bit more creative in the delivery.

And of course, there's the sadness that comes with the sense that we're in the final plots of the season. Things are building up, clearly designed to come to a head in the season finale. Or more precisely: In the final scene in the final episodes of the fourth season.

There's a storm a' brewin', my fellow Sanctuarians.

We'd best be ready for it.

First Lieutenant

I liked this. Not the best, but not the worst either. I really wanted to slap, no, strangle Will at times. I didn't really see much of his points. I really liked how Magnus was defending her actions in "Fugue".

As for the B-story (if you can call it that)... It was funny and cute I suppose, but it was so random and out of place that I couldn't stand it. Completely unnecessary.

I really, really enjoyed this episode. I loved the mythos, loved the angst, etc. I thought the water would be the Fountain of Youth, or have it connected to another mythos, but oh well. I'm excited to see the new stuff about the rocks, to see if the water can be duplicated, and to see if Henry's shield can be powered by them. (Loved the Henry interludes.)
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

first i have to say good episode. when will first healed i was wondering if that was going to be permint, glad that it wasn't. and i too thought it was the fountain of youth. parts of it kind of reminded me of the movie the cave, but much better .

and henry lol. even though his videos were random they were entertaining. and of course the end about not know knowing his parents was really serious and sad.

Main reason I liked this episode.

Vulnerable Helen. Amanda was wonderful.

Well I'm kinda feeling conflicted with this episode. I really disliked Will. I just wanted to snot him one...little [email protected]
    I didn't enjoy any of the Henry bits. Did they really need to throw that in?
    Helen was kinda wow. I'm surprised at how calm she was half the time. I would have hit Will over the hread with a rock given half the chance but I think that secret she has means she has to restrain herself for a little longer.
    I did actually enjoy it but it was like riding a bus into town...sometimes you see something intereting and other times you just want to nod off & wait for the end of the trip.
    Definitely conmflicted with this ep.
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Raticate

-- “I’d say we have about 48 hours to clear the area, or we’ll wind up answering for this.”
    Methinks Magnus is getting just a bit frustrated at going up against SCIU and having to save their butts.

-- Martin Wood really loves to torture Amanda, doesn’t he? Had it been an ice cave they were in, I would have had even more flashes to Sam/Jack in Stargate’s “Solitudes” episode – especially the part where Magnus leaves Will to go back for more water.

-- a Quetzalcoatl mention? Wow. That was another point where my Sanctuary & Stargate fans collided again. One of the SG1 books was based around Quetzalcoatl.

-- Magnus has really taken a whumping this season, hasn’t she? I love how she gets back up and carries on with nary a wince. Although, in the past two episodes, it’s been great to see that she can show some vulnerability when injured or feeling subpar. In the last episode it was when she was in the van when it was knocked over by the bomb blast. In this one, it’s when she shows her withdrawl symptoms.

-- Where is John Druitt and his teleporting capabilities when you need them? There’s no way that I’m believing he’s dead.

-- How many lifetimes is it going to take before the entire world finally realizes that Helen Magnus is almost always right? Moran said she knew about her. Well, she didn’t seem to know enough to believe that Helen knows what she’s talking about.

-- I love that they did a lot of the tiling during the beginning where Helen takes the bullet out of Will. Writer Gillian Horvath mentioned that the episode was about 10 minutes too long, and the bullet extraction scene was about 5 minutes originally, so using the tiling and speeding that part up like they did was so much more interesting to watch.

And even more full-scene tiling when Magnus goes back for more water towards the end. I really like how they’re doing this longer in scenes than we’ve seen them do with the occasional short few-seconds of tiling.

-- Magnus & Will b!tchfests are so adorable. I just wish Will would stop his incessant whining all the time. Yes, I know he was in withdrawl during much of the whining this time, but Will’s whining has become as ubiquitous as Robin dropping his pants. However, I love Magnus/Druitt fights much better than Magnus/Will bickerings.

-- “Anger is a great motivator…overcomes fear every time.” How I love the wit & wisdom of Helen Magnus.

-- at least we got a “Bloody Hell” or two in this one as well.

-- Henry Foss, you are SO adorkable.

-- can we just call that miracle water “tretonin”, please?

-- that serpent reminded me of the one in Hollow Earth, the one they couldn’t stare directly at.

-- nice recalls back to the pilot and Will’s backstory – and I figured it would come out that Magnus paid for his education through the years. It was also great to have the references back to Helen’s 113 year seclusion, and how she felt tortured by not being able to change the mistakes she had done originally.

-- “Helen Magnus knows best” DUH.

-- I love that Helen still keeps it all “need to know”, and doesn’t tell Will everything. A lady needs her secrets, and we know Helen has some BIG ones.

-- after the great screen time for Kate & Biggie last week, it really made me miss them even more this week.

-- For some reason, I got a strange “Goonies” vibe during this episode – without One-eyed Willie’s treasure, though.

my full review can be found here
    Last edited by KayLyne; December 16th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.

I loved this episode! One of the best this season. (1. Tempus / 2. Chimera / 3. Acolyte / 4. The Depths).

The only thing I disliked was Henry's parts. I found them ridiculous. And Henry looked stupid...

Will was great in this episode. He was both serious and touching. His relationship with Magnus is evolving (at last!) and it was great to see her kissing him. I like when she's feeling vulnerable at times and can no longer hide in her bubble.

The end was very good. How she explained she had to let everything happen again, including death of people she cares about was touching. And this ending also foreshadows revelations about what she's been hiding since she's returned.

I look forward to next Friday's episode!!

Second Lieutenant

I found this episode....... meh

The tensions between Helen and Will were the only really interesting thing in the episode.
    Will stressing that he only has one lifetime.. to magnus' endless lifetimes. Was interesting..
    Their relationship seems like a familial mother-son relationship.

What i also found interesting is before Will hurt Magnus with the Ashley comment. When he was talking about the five.. he left out Tesla..
    DOes that mean Magnus actually cares about Tesla? Compared to the others i mean?

The Henry parts were.. i dont know.. so random.. it felt like a way to unessecarily lengthen the episode.
    Overall, i was dissapointed.

I hope the next episode is better
    Spoiler:
    so far watching previews I haven't seen tesla in the episode
    Last edited by iJOKE; December 17th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
    - Doctor Who (series 7)
    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Raticate

Quote Originally Posted by iJOKE View Post
    What i also found interesting is before Will hurt Magnus with the Ashley comment. When he was talking about the five.. he left out Tesla..
    DOes that mean Magnus actually cares about Tesla? Compared to the others i mean?
    I believe it's because Tesla is the only other one still alive (and considering that Druitt's existence is still in doubt)

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post
    As for the B-story (if you can call it that)... It was funny and cute I suppose, but it was so random and out of place that I couldn't stand it. Completely unnecessary.
    I have a feeling that the b-plot, well perhaps not the plot, but the vest will become very important. The rock fragments are likely to be the power source that he was missing.

I hope the magic water makes another appearance later in the series.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by KayLyne View Post
    I believe it's because Tesla is the only other one still alive (and considering that Druitt's existence is still in doubt)
    Oh................ I thought its because Tesla is the only other person she cares about (besides herself)
    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
    - Doctor Who (series 7)
    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post
    I liked this. Not the best, but not the worst either. I really wanted to slap, no, strangle Will at times. I didn't really see much of his points. I really liked how Magnus was defending her actions in "Fugue".
    I agree with the B story line...I normally love & adore Henry but this was just boring beyond belief.
    As for Helen defending her actions from "Fugue", she shouldn't have to but she did which I think saya a lot about her character...as in Helen's character not the character but as in the persona of Helen Magnus...did that make sense??
    Seriously, how could anyone, especially Helen, think that Will is ready to lead the Sanctuary network. Up until now I was ok with Will but now I'm starting to wonder what the heck are the writers thinking when they write for Will.
    And I suspect by the promo I have seen for next weeks ep, I'm going to grow to dislike Will even nore. I said it at the end of Fugue and I say it again now...I do not trust Will. Something is hinky.
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

hopping between Old City and the fishless pond

-- Martin Wood really loves to torture Amanda, doesn’t he? Had it been an ice cave they were in, I would have had even more flashes to Sam/Jack in Stargate’s “Solitudes” episode – especially the part where Magnus leaves Will to go back for more water.
    *gg* I had to think of Solitudes, too. and I can understand Martin.. Amanda whumping makes such great episodes!

-- a Quetzalcoatl mention? Wow. That was another point where my Sanctuary & Stargate fans collided again. One of the SG1 books was based around Quetzalcoatl.
    I loved that the Quezacoatl of the different fandoms had so few in common. I's what makes the difference.. in Stargate mythical creatures are kinda real but in that reality they are sooo much different from what people believe.
    In Sanctuary most of them are real and way less superstition etc is involved. They are just a bit different to what people imagine (the snake has less powes but's still a snake, not a smoky giant)

-- How many lifetimes is it going to take before the entire world finally realizes that Helen Magnus is almost always right? Moran said she knew about her. Well, she didn’t seem to know enough to believe that Helen knows what she’s talking about.
    gooood question!

-- Magnus & Will b!tchfests are so adorable. I just wish Will would stop his incessant whining all the time. Yes, I know he was in withdrawl during much of the whining this time, but Will’s whining has become as ubiquitous as Robin dropping his pants. However, I love Magnus/Druitt fights much better than Magnus/Will bickerings.
    exactly. I wish (if they get another season) they'd bring back parts of that curious, over-talented forensic we had in the first and maybe second season.. It's interesing to see him stand up to Magnus, but not to the point where he just gets annoying and whining.

-- Henry Foss, you are SO adorkable.
    The Henry-parts.. I love Henry, but I can't really say i love them. But I liked them. At first I just thought "pleeeease, the cave-story's soo much more interesting, switch back!" Then again I liked they got back to the father-to-be story which got neglected for some time. All in all I loved the idea, because, for one the stones and the jacket-thing fit together and second, you see Henry joking around for his unborn kid but in the end it gets sader and angstier when he says that he doesn't know if he survives and wants his kid to know who his/her dad is. Angst-build-up for the finale! great writing!

-- can we just call that miracle water “tretonin”, please?
    XD

-- nice recalls back to the pilot and Will’s backstory – and I figured it would come out that Magnus paid for his education through the years. It was also great to have the references back to Helen’s 113 year seclusion, and how she felt tortured by not being able to change the mistakes she had done originally.
    yay for backgroundstory and Season 1 stuff! Never really thought about Will and the scholarship... well, that's more interesting now. Love how Helen starts to tell at least a little tiny bit about her feelings and the certury after Tempus!

All in all an episode which I really enjoyed

Oh not another Helen/Will stranded episode. I hate those with a vengeance Why can't Helen be stranded with Henry for a change

First Lieutenant meredithchandler73's Avatar

Although Will's whining really started to grate on my nerves, I really did love this episode. Amanda was simply AWESOME in this episode. The arguments between Helen and Will were terrific. I loved how it was the water, and then the rocks, that were responsible for the healing and improved mental abilities. And I totally think it would be inspired to use the rocks for Henry's currently non-working suit.

I gotta say, at times it was a bit jarring to jump to the Henry video clips. Much as I love Henry, I certainly don't mind all Magnus, all the time either. But his clips were pretty cute, and I especially loved the more serious moments where he talked about how the world was now and wondered what it would be like for his child. And how he doesn't know about his own parents and wants his kid to know him. Makes me want to give Henry a huge hug!

I need several more viewings of the episode to properly praise Helen/Amanda. It's hard to pick out specific moments when I just loved every moment of her!

With regard to her 113 relived years...Helen was supposed to be living in isolation, but it seems like she was keeping tabs on her life, watching how things unfolded. It certainly would have been a smart thing to know how her life unfolded the second time around, just in case there were any major or minor changes that she should know before stepping in again. I wonder how and from where she would have tracked her life. That may just be one of those things TPTB just gloss over, but I'd be interested to know.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention - Will's whining was irritating, we all agree. I am sure he can be frustrated to have his suggestions shot down a lot by Magnus, but can he really believe she doesn't know better than he??? There was a moment when I wasn't hating Will - at the very end when he mentioned how Helen carries the weight of the world by herself. I thought he would be reaching out to her, asking her to open up and not shoulder it all alone. But when he suggested being Helen's partner, I almost laughed out loud. Helen's reaction ("Ah.") made me think she's been through this before with proteges.
    Last edited by meredithchandler73; December 17th, 2011 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

I enjoyed this episode more than I'd expected, knowing it was going to be about Magnus and Will trapped in a cave. I almost always get annoyed with Will in those and that's mostly because Magnus gets whumped (with awesome acting by AT) and all he worries about is himself.

It wasn't all that different this time around, I admit, but I loved that Magnus finally pointed out all she'd done despite the costs to herself. I was ready to beat Will to a pulp with one of those rocks when he confronted her and had the audacity to place himself with The Five (as if!) and before Ashley. I was fearing the worst when Will came down from his high but all in all I didn't think he acted that much worse than he has lately and those times he didn't have 'withdrawal' as an excuse.

I love how Magnus, despite having drunk the water also, didn't go in complete meltdown/complain/whine-mode like Will and still had the presence of mind to not bash his skull in. She has a lot of wisdom and Will seems to be too stubborn and/or obtuse to realize that and learn from her. He keeps complaining how everything has to be the Helen Magnus way but always ends up having his ass saved by her (with hardly a thank you for her in the end). Even now, when he tried to do it his way he totally screwed up and I don't just mean with how it played out (Magnus once again risking her own life so she could save him) but by drinking all that water! His body was far more damaged than hers and his 'withdrawal' seemed to be much worse than her (although that could be down to their personalities too) so it would have made a lot more sense for Magnus to drink all the water and become totally smart to find a way out for them because she wouldn't come crashing down as hard as he would. Yeah, her ribs would hurt and she'd be grumpy, but his wounds were severe and his organs would fail without proper medical attention. But hey, I guess all that doesn't matter in Will's world.

Like I've said many times before Will is so self-involved and keeps moaning about how Magnus handles things and now he was whining about only having one lifetime which he 'gave' to her. He doesn't even realize the burdens Magnus has to live with and how she's carried the weight of the world on her shoulders for the past 113 years until she comes straight out and tells him. Such an idiot! He didn't even think about what she's gone through throughout her life because the world revolves around Will and it's all me, me, me!

Magnus never forced him to do anything he didn't want to (unless they were close to dying and she was the only one with a sensible solution) and he didn't have to accept her offer to join the Sanctuary and could probably leave any time he wants to (I certainly won't try to stop him!). Here I actually disagreed with Magnus because I'm not sure the brilliance of her offer outweighed the disasters of working with Will. It certainly isn't very good for her psyche with all his accusations and constantly rubbing her nose into all the losses she's experienced, which is ironic considering his qualifications.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Magnus has awarded other children whose families fell victim to Abnormals because she couldn't save them in time with scholarships. But of course in Will's mind he's the only one because he's the center of the universe and such a speshul snowflake.

I liked the Henry bits, especially because the suit will probably come back later in combination with the stones Magnus found. To me this is one of the few times they handled the two 'plots' right this season, with Henry's not being too long, intrusive and angsty. It was a bit more lighthearted and a nice change from the angst cavern, good timing as well because there were times I was close to killing Will and then sweet Henry came along. I also think it gave us a bit more insight in how Henry usually works and how he comes up with the technology we often see (by being Sanctuary's Siler it seem! ). And it was nice to get some background info on him, however small the mention of his parents and growing up without them was, since we're bombarded with everyone else's past throughout the seasons but never hear anything about him.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

This is how a cheap episode looks like. You only have to pay 2 and a half actors. The b storyline was beyond ridiculous. Expect more episodes like this in season 5 'cause imho they need to cut the costs....

Young’s Fencing Sabre helenmagnus23's Avatar

I just watched this episode it was awesome and hard to watch at the same time , i cant believe what Will said to Helen that was cold and uncalled for and totally not fair! i'm rewatching it again.

I've been thinking Will's personality this season what if it has to do the timeline being messed with a subtle change maybe?
    GTTSAT
    (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen