Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what exactly was wrong with this series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finding it extremely tempting to read that...Must...not...
    sigpic

Comment

It was the failure of the production staff to get a two or three season deal from syfy.

This show needed a lot of set up time to really get going, a lot of info need to be dump on to the audience and a lot players needed to to revealed and have there back stories told, before you could get into the Cylon and Caprica civil war. Plus I think scheduling was a major problem.

An Jane Jane Espenson the destroyer was it second biggest problem. (is there a show she has not joined that has not cancelled shortly afterwards)

Caprica also suffered from the lack of exploration of the other 11 colonies and revealing of the colonies history.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        An Jane Jane Espenson the destroyer was it second biggest problem. (is there a show she has not joined that has not cancelled shortly afterwards)
        Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Battlestar Galactica. I personally like Jane Espenson's stories. Caprica had way too many things against it to last on SyFy. SyFy's attempts lately at more serious sci-fi aren't treated well. I think they'd rather do the more light hearted stuff and imploy their out of a series actors to do all those awful sci-fi movies. But then does the general public even want more serious sci-fi? I just watched Outcasts from the Brits. I KNEW it was cancelled. I KNEW it was going to be a short run. However I read many good things about it, so watched it.

I have happily added Caprica to my BSG collection. I'm gratefull what did get done, got done. My hopes for Blood and Chrome though are looking more like a black hole.

I wish Canada's Space had the funds to do a really good serious sci-fi show because I'm really not into that weird Todd and the Book of Evil (which is probably supernatural anyway).
        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was Jane Espenson one shot wonder never to be repeated. Like it has been for Joss Whedon, when you look at the length of the series, commercial and critical success neither have really repeated the success they had with Buffy the Vampire Slayer in any of there other projects, most of which have been cancelled after the first season or two. Warehouse 13 is her most successful project since Buffy, she was co creator but I do not think she worked on it much, and it my opinion is rather crap anyway.

When you look at her work on Buffy much of it was as joint writer or completing the writing work on an episode, 9 out of her 23 episodes.

Jane joined BSG in season 4, consider by some fans and certainly by me as the worst season of BSG.

She worked on Torchwood season 4, which was widely panned by critics and fans alike.
          Last edited by knowles2; 07 December 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

All of Torchwood apart from the first four episodes of Children Of Earth are widely panned as far as I know.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Fans enjoyed the first two seasons. Critics and fans enjoyed Children of Earth.

Everyone hated Season 4.

I personally hated season 3 and 4 and found them to very light story wise and thought the first 2 seasons when torchwood was at it best, when they focus on 1 story an episode.
              Russell T Davis write best when he only has to think about a single episode or two at the most.

In my book Jane just not that good of a writer in today world, may be she was good back when she was doing Buffy the Vampire but she certainly not good in today world, when you have excellent writers of Lost and Fringe as competition..

Comment

Personally I preferred Caprica to BSG. I thought that BSG dragged and lost it's way in the later seasons, especially when the season run was increased to 20 eps from 13, whereas I could see where Caprica was heading and I was royally ticked off when the plug was pulled.

The show was thought provoking, gave an insight to the history of the Cylons and the colonies and season 2 looked set to deliver all the bangs, battles and blood that people seemed to want.

The trouble is that after the nightmare of MGM going to the wall, as well as the current economic climate, the money men in the entertainment industry are looking for instant high returns on their investment in new shows, and they are far more ready to kill an under performing show than they were a few years ago. Nobody wants to be the guy who has to write off a loss.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                  Nothing was wrong with the show. I think I liked it even more than BSG.

But like SGU, it's just not what the casual science fiction fan / average Syfy viewer is into (space battles, people shooting at eachother, superhero characters, a single antagonist etc.).
                  In otherwords, it didn't cater to the ignorant and idiotic masses who only understand 'kablewy!!!'

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It took almost two (2) years to air the first season of the show (!!). Not too healthy, lmao.

Comment

In my opinion, Caprica tried to be thought provoking but without much success. The RL issues and parallels were written off BSG, just with much worse execution.

I also don't really like the cast. I don't feel any chemistry there

And I keep wondering who was the target audience for this show. Because a teen girl with unexplained programming super powers is just a shallow, unbalanced character imo. Can't warm up towards the actress either...

All in all, I think it would be a miracle if a prequel that is so much different from the show could succeed at all. It's like expecting that Star Trek movie from 2009 to succeed by making it all about young Kirk working on a farm
                      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

I did not admire any of the main characters. There were no heroic characteristics and I had trouble caring about them. I wanted Joseph to be a larger than life character and he seemed small. I did enjoy the Cylon backstory, but you could have accomplished it with better characters.

Comment

I loved every episode of Caprica. It had a rough start i enjoyed every moment of it, too bad it only started to ramp up near the end(i read somewhere that the series ending marathon had the highest ratings of the show).

I guess Syfy just didn't have faith in the show like they did with BSG. Something that a lot of networks seem to lack.

Comment

Well I'm trying out the show. Figured I might as well since it is available on Netflix.
                            sigpic

Comment

I caved and got the dvd as it was 17 bucks ( I was hoping a bd release but gave up) and watched it day after day during my lunch break at work and I enjoyed it much more a second time around much like with SGU as I could watch it in succession without delay which was the issue when it aired.

I for one cannot stand split seasons just air the 13-20 episodes in a singular run not split a season for up to a year like they did with s4 of BSG, this is what is contributing to shows failing!

But anyway Caprica was heading into an interesting direction and BAM dead but hey at least there is ghost hunters and wwe now -.-
                              sigpic

Comment

If spiit seasons are why the show is failing then it would really suffer waiting 6 months between seasons
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X