Puddle Jumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumpers

Would you have liked to see the SGC inherit a Puddle Jumper from Atlantis? Sure, there was the Time Jumper, but I doubt that would have been given regular use due to it's time-travel application. However, why not send a lone jumper over to the SGC? Surely it would be a great asset, especially if it was simply used for aerial reconnaissance under cloak. As it stands, at least we got to see the Time Jumper for three episodes. I thought that was a great way to link the two shows.

It might have happened off screen.
    sigpic

Comment

Don't you need the ATA gene (therapy) to be able to pilot it? Because I assume all the personnel with the ATA gene are preferably assigned to Atlantis, so they would also need to donate someone with the gene to the SGC and even then only that person (and other with the gene) would be able to fly it...

Aerial surveys were already done with a UAV so it would be easier/cheaper for them to develop a cloak for the UAV than use a jumper only so many people can pilot.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Don't you need the ATA gene (therapy) to be able to pilot it? Because I assume all the personnel with the ATA gene are preferably assigned to Atlantis, so they would also need to donate someone with the gene to the SGC and even then only that person (and other with the gene) would be able to fly it...

Aerial surveys were already done with a UAV so it would be easier/cheaper for them to develop a cloak for the UAV than use a jumper only so many people can pilot.
        Fems is right, you need the ATA gene in order to fly it, most of those who had it naturally were assigned to Atlantis. Not to mention the puddle jumpers were also used to help defend Atlantis when the Daedalus wasn't around or help defend off world teams - so Atlantis needed every available ship. Would have made SG1's and the other teams lives easier, but I doubt the IOA would have allowed it for convince sake.

I do wonder why we never saw or at least had it mention, the idea of reverse engineering one so they could build their own version (like they did with the death gliders).
        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

In SGA's 'The Return', we saw that the SGC did have a puddle jumper from Atlantis, but it was only for study.

Comment

i agree that all available ships were needed in atlantis for the team to use. plus how many did they have anyway?
            sigpic

Comment

Dr. McKay has one...

Yup - David Hewlett recently mentioned that he's got the set for a PJ in a lock-up somewhere near home, waiting for the right project...

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                i agree that all available ships were needed in atlantis for the team to use. plus how many did they have anyway?
                They have a few from the tower, the underwater bay, and I think they took some from the Tower in the "The Tower" episode.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                  Dr. McKay has one...

Yup - David Hewlett recently mentioned that he's got the set for a PJ in a lock-up somewhere near home, waiting for the right project...
                  Hmmm, I hope he uses it in A Dogs Breakfast 2. How he'll incorporate it, I'm not sure - but it would be cool. Also, that is the ultimate prop/set piece. If I had that, I'd create an entertainment room around it! Imagine, watching Stargate while sitting in the set of a Puddle Jumper!

They have a few from the tower, the underwater bay, and I think they took some from the Tower in the "The Tower" episode.
                  So they likely have around 20 ships, and that's an educated guess. But likely not enough to give away. Their needs are more than SG-1. If they want ships, they should steal some goa'uld cargo ships or an Alkesh for the Luicien alliance. I would!
                  Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                    Hmmm, I hope he uses it in A Dogs Breakfast 2. How he'll incorporate it, I'm not sure - but it would be cool. Also, that is the ultimate prop/set piece. If I had that, I'd create an entertainment room around it! Imagine, watching Stargate while sitting in the set of a Puddle Jumper!

So they likely have around 20 ships, and that's an educated guess. But likely not enough to give away. Their needs are more than SG-1. If they want ships, they should steal some goa'uld cargo ships or an Alkesh for the Luicien alliance. I would!
                    Yeah but those can't fit through a Stargate...Lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post

Twenty is about right. In Season 4, "Adrift", that's how many people with the ancient gene were gathered together to fly the puddle jumpers to destroy the asteroid field the city was about the fly into.

Comment

SGC likely has one or two. It is also likely that delta force or seal team 6 each have one too.

Comment

No need really for the Puddlejumpers when they now have the technology to design ships that could do recon, and cloak.
                          1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
                          5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
                          6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

Yes, the SGC has starships (the Daedalus-class ships) and fighters (the F-302's), but they don't have ships that can fly through the stargate itself. That's the whole advantage of the Puddle Jumper. I'm not suggesting Atlantis give away Puddle Jumpers, I'm just suggesting they give ONE to the SGC. Except for "Adrift," have we ever seen them use all of them at once? The point is, they can loan one to the SGC.

However, if we assume that Atlantis remains on Earth permanently, than Atlantis would replace Cheyenne Mountain as the SGC, making all of this moot.

Comment

Why would they have to give one to the SGC? The SGC personnel is trained to do missions on the ground (or use Goa'uld spaceships) and for their missions they often don't need to cover so much terrain that a puddle jumper becomes necessary. Nor are there (as far as we know) operational Stargates in space in the MW galaxy, unlike in Pegasus.

Having puddle jumpers would mean needing personnel with the ATA gene (and we already know the gene therapy is only 47% successful) and train them to be able to fly them. What if the ATA gene person gets injured/killed or is otherwise unavailable/incapable of flying the jumper on a mission? Then they'd have to leave it, hike all the way back to the gate and later on retrieve it (with someone who has the ATA gene)! If you have just one puddle jumper you'll need more than one person with an ATA gene and that could lead to disgruntled teams that all want to use that puddle jumper, or fights over who gets the ATA gene person on their team (and thus access to the puddle jumper).
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X