Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Probie

Default Re: FTL not brokendown Hyper Drives?

Has anyone stopped to consider that a non-hyperspace means of propulsion was necessitated by the overall mission itself? As Destiny travels though the universe, sensors detect and record the cosmic microwave background radiation. Were Destiny to utilize hyperspace propulsion, constant monitoring of that background radiation might not have been possible. Moving at faster than light speeds in normal space, vast distances could be covered while also maintaining the ability to capture and record the data needed. Just a thought

that is a well thought out answer as to why they didnt put hyper drive on deatiny,good show old boy,that radio wave had to be tracked right,but what if the seed ships tracked it and destiny only had to follow the path of the seeds ships,dont the seed ships relay info back to destiny though subspace,doesnt rush tell every one that while there watch the path of destiny or was it later on in the season not shure but i remeber that some where anyways good show,

Second Lieutenant

I have a query related to the VTL drive and the SGU final episode. Going on what’s been said here the distance to the next galaxy is a million Light years [give or take] and they planned to make a jump from only 1/3 into this new galaxy across the void to the new galaxy.

Now I have no idea what the existing SGU galaxy diameter was, but ours is about 100,000 light years and one third would suggest 65,000 light years to the edge for a total notional distance of about 1.065 million light years. If jumping the inter galaxy void is a normal function of Destiny mission then I assume damage to the VTL + the extra distance needed to jump + a gas tank that’s not full, is the combined problem that needs to shut down the life support.

What I was wondering was if they timed a jump to the edge of that galaxy to replenish the VTL drive just before the void jump would that allow the other systems to work and thus avoid the need for the ‘stasis’ pods? Then they would only have to plan another diversion type maneuver at the last gate to make the jump with life support to work.

OK any ideas?
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Probie

SGU's galaxy looks like it might be the Sombrero galaxy, which is 28-29 million lyrs distant and about 50,000-60,000 lyrs across. Skipping over 2/3 of the galaxy should improve their chances of finding a star without any enemy ships. Galaxies don't have discrete edges, so straggler stars should extend out a few thousand lyrs from the edge. There are even occasional orphans in the voids.

They would probably still use the stasis pods to avoid food shortages while in the void.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by ficfox View Post
    SGU's galaxy looks like it might be the Sombrero galaxy, which is 28-29 million lyrs distant and about 50,000-60,000 lyrs across. Skipping over 2/3 of the galaxy should improve their chances of finding a star without any enemy ships. Galaxies don't have discrete edges, so straggler stars should extend out a few thousand lyrs from the edge. There are even occasional orphans in the voids.

They would probably still use the stasis pods to avoid food shortages while in the void.
    Yes but it should not have been the 'do or die' senario we were left with?

Probie

I think there are only 5 types of Gates knows to the People of Earth or in existence of Real time. Those being the Milky-Way Gates, The Pegasis Gates, Ori Gates (not seen but exist), Seed Ship planted Gates (or the ones Destiny Has), and the Super Gates. At the time of both the Ori and Alterians they has what seemed like pre-Destiny Technology. THis meaning that the Gates then Had 9 chevrons and 38 symbols. When they lifted off from the mountains on celestus I believe they went into FTL, This gives support that Destiny Has Only FTL and not Hyper-drive in subspace. The Drive is not Hyper-Drive because you can see the outside influences outside of the ship and is not in Sub space. The time Dialation does not exist because the ancient communication devices donot have any time effect while in FTL or otherwise only distortion is Extreme Acceleration and Extreme Deceleration in which case the subspace link is unstable. This theory also disproves the time in which the ancients developed in the Milky-Way Galaxy lengthening the time period. There may be other Gates where the whole network was updates multiple times from the 38 symbols and 9 chevrons (Destiny Gates), to 39 symbols 9 chevrons (the Milky-Way Gates), to the no spin Gates (the Pegasus Gates), and the Multiple Segment Super Gates. This leaves Multiple different Gate Styles is differently developed Galaxies. Although I donot believe that Galaxies share DHD updates unless dialing that gate in the other galaxy. The Base Programing Must still be Very Similar in order for all 5 gate types to exist without problems. The Episode in SGU where the dialing to earth while in a sun caused the destiny to enter another universe parallel to the Original. With the new gates something like this could have been fixed in an update.

Airman

I actually have a completely different theory regarding this issue with FTL.

Personally, I think that the concept of creating a non-relativistic means of travelling through normal space faster than the speed of light is a more complicated and advanced method of travel, invented to be installed on the Destiny for the explicit purpose of being able to continually record and monitor the "background noise". Also, it seems to me that it is impossible to steer in hyperspace (it simply creates a straight tunnel; we see ships actually orientate to their direction of travel before creating a hyperspace window) and it's possible that Destiny may need to constantly change its direction of travel depending on which seed ship it is nearest to - it is mentioned there is more than just the one. Also, maybe Stargate preamble subspace transmissions cannot be detected in hyperspace.

I think hyperspace was actually invented first. They knew enough about the "layers of space fabric" to postulate the creation of a device capable of allowing travel through subspace, so why not a layer in between? I also personally think that the Destiny gates are not the prototypes, and are in fact second generation (after the Milky Way gates), but that's my own little theory and a different topic altogether...

FTL may be a precursor to hyperspeed but it has nothing to do with hyperspeed. Using hyperdrives, ships can enter subspace. They don't need shields in hyperspace, because the ships go in "normal speed" but just through subspace.

FTL uses it's engines to just go really, really fast. They're still in normal space. And the incredible speed is why Destiny needs its shields to travel, otherwise the speed alone would rip the ship apart.

I may be 14 years old as well, but I've watched the show for a long time.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Chief Master Sergeant

Ok so here's my 2 cents

I am going to be cross-referencing things from Star Trek so be prepared

Ok what happens when you exceed the maximum warp velocity? The ship obviously breaks apart right or so. What happens when Destiny's shield falls below 4%? It rip itself apart similar to Star Trek. So the theory is that it must use a derivative to the Alcubierre drive.

Quote Originally Posted by qingbest View Post
    Ok so here's my 2 cents

I am going to be cross-referencing things from Star Trek so be prepared

Ok what happens when you exceed the maximum warp velocity? The ship obviously breaks apart right or so. What happens when Destiny's shield falls below 4%? It rip itself apart similar to Star Trek. So the theory is that it must use a derivative to the Alcubierre drive.
    Are you saying that FTL is actually Warp 11?

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

You guys do realize this is all fictional, right?

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    You guys do realize this is all fictional, right?
    Yes. Maybe Warp 11 is just for "Spinal Tap" starships, since its "one louder" than all the others ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzpsO4ErOQ

Probie

Here's one to muddy the waters: Is manual dialing an intentional feature or a fallback in case of a power failure? Milky Way gates seem to be the only kind that can be manually dialed. Pegasus gates are internal and "electronic" in nature and Destiny mission gates rotate in their entirety but they lock "electronically". Also, a Pegasus gate supercedes a Milky Way gate if they're in close proximity. So perhaps the Milky Way version is 1.0, and the Destiny gates (2.0) are the prototypes for the Pegasus gates (2.1)

Perhaps Pegasus originally had ver. 1.0 gates until the Wraith threat caused the Ancients to swap the old gates with the new ones (that didn't help anyway).

What does this have to do with Destiny's engines? Well, Milky Way gates are made of naquidah, which the Ancients knew to be rather rare, especially outside the Milky Way. It's never said what Pegasus gates are made of but Destiny gates are rather fragile, so I suspect they're made of aluminum or steel (based on the drone impact seen in SGU - Common Descent). Considering the Destiny gates are of simpler construction, we can assume the Destiny and the seed ships were constructed for longevity as well. If so, we can also assume an FTL drive requires less maintenance than a hyperdrive, or its power draw is more consistent than a hyperdrive to allow for the use of batteries for power instead of a reactor.

I imagine every thought was made in regards to longevity for the Destiny mission, from FTL to crappy Walmart gates.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Chevron View Post
    After re-watching the entire show on DVD (1080p Upscaled ) ...

After watching the FTL field it looked to me, more like Destiny was creating like a vacuum funnel infront of itself and it was pulling Destiny along, almost like the slipstream method from Andromeda just without the twists and turns and actual attaching strings.
    Digging up an old thread, because the idea of FTLbased on gate technology is intriguing

It occurred to me that Destiny FTL could be using the elements of a stargate, but in a different order.
    A stargate distorts spacetime to create a wormhole.
    The "kawhoosh" disintegrates anything nearby,
    Then the puddle converts matter to energy.

The Destiny FTL design is basically an inside out stargate.
    Has anybody else noticed that Desitny is shaped like the divisions between the glyphs on it's stargate?
    The ability to manipulate and compress spacetime to form a wormhole, suggests you'd also be able to compress spacetime ahead of you, then eject it out the back so it expands. Congratulations, you're now moving FTL.

That suggests that Destiny's shields are analagous to the kawhoosh and convert matter to energy.
    Now, if you turn matter into energy as a result of travelling FTL, then Destiny might act like a Bussard fushion ramjet and power itself in FTL by using the FTL process itself to convert interstellar/intergalactic matter (particles, gas, dust ) to energy.

That suggests the ventral "big gun" isn't primarily for attacking ships, but for clearing the FTL flight path of rocks or asteroids, and erhaps as a sefety valve "Arcturus Gun" to dump energy and prevent an overload if the shields absorb too much energy over a short time.
    Last edited by Hal_S; May 28th, 2018 at 08:11 AM.