No announcement yet.

FTL not brokendown Hyper Drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually have a completely different theory regarding this issue with FTL.

Personally, I think that the concept of creating a non-relativistic means of travelling through normal space faster than the speed of light is a more complicated and advanced method of travel, invented to be installed on the Destiny for the explicit purpose of being able to continually record and monitor the "background noise". Also, it seems to me that it is impossible to steer in hyperspace (it simply creates a straight tunnel; we see ships actually orientate to their direction of travel before creating a hyperspace window) and it's possible that Destiny may need to constantly change its direction of travel depending on which seed ship it is nearest to - it is mentioned there is more than just the one. Also, maybe Stargate preamble subspace transmissions cannot be detected in hyperspace.

I think hyperspace was actually invented first. They knew enough about the "layers of space fabric" to postulate the creation of a device capable of allowing travel through subspace, so why not a layer in between? I also personally think that the Destiny gates are not the prototypes, and are in fact second generation (after the Milky Way gates), but that's my own little theory and a different topic altogether...
    If there is hope... it lies in the proles.

Comment

FTL may be a precursor to hyperspeed but it has nothing to do with hyperspeed. Using hyperdrives, ships can enter subspace. They don't need shields in hyperspace, because the ships go in "normal speed" but just through subspace.

FTL uses it's engines to just go really, really fast. They're still in normal space. And the incredible speed is why Destiny needs its shields to travel, otherwise the speed alone would rip the ship apart.

I may be 14 years old as well, but I've watched the show for a long time.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Ok so here's my 2 cents

I am going to be cross-referencing things from Star Trek so be prepared

Ok what happens when you exceed the maximum warp velocity? The ship obviously breaks apart right or so. What happens when Destiny's shield falls below 4%? It rip itself apart similar to Star Trek. So the theory is that it must use a derivative to the Alcubierre drive.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qingbest View Post
          Ok so here's my 2 cents

I am going to be cross-referencing things from Star Trek so be prepared

Ok what happens when you exceed the maximum warp velocity? The ship obviously breaks apart right or so. What happens when Destiny's shield falls below 4%? It rip itself apart similar to Star Trek. So the theory is that it must use a derivative to the Alcubierre drive.
          Are you saying that FTL is actually Warp 11?
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

You guys do realize this is all fictional, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
              You guys do realize this is all fictional, right?
              Yes. Maybe Warp 11 is just for "Spinal Tap" starships, since its "one louder" than all the others ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzpsO4ErOQ
              SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Here's one to muddy the waters: Is manual dialing an intentional feature or a fallback in case of a power failure? Milky Way gates seem to be the only kind that can be manually dialed. Pegasus gates are internal and "electronic" in nature and Destiny mission gates rotate in their entirety but they lock "electronically". Also, a Pegasus gate supercedes a Milky Way gate if they're in close proximity. So perhaps the Milky Way version is 1.0, and the Destiny gates (2.0) are the prototypes for the Pegasus gates (2.1)

Perhaps Pegasus originally had ver. 1.0 gates until the Wraith threat caused the Ancients to swap the old gates with the new ones (that didn't help anyway).

What does this have to do with Destiny's engines? Well, Milky Way gates are made of naquidah, which the Ancients knew to be rather rare, especially outside the Milky Way. It's never said what Pegasus gates are made of but Destiny gates are rather fragile, so I suspect they're made of aluminum or steel (based on the drone impact seen in SGU - Common Descent). Considering the Destiny gates are of simpler construction, we can assume the Destiny and the seed ships were constructed for longevity as well. If so, we can also assume an FTL drive requires less maintenance than a hyperdrive, or its power draw is more consistent than a hyperdrive to allow for the use of batteries for power instead of a reactor.

I imagine every thought was made in regards to longevity for the Destiny mission, from FTL to crappy Walmart gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                  After re-watching the entire show on DVD (1080p Upscaled ) ...

After watching the FTL field it looked to me, more like Destiny was creating like a vacuum funnel infront of itself and it was pulling Destiny along, almost like the slipstream method from Andromeda just without the twists and turns and actual attaching strings.
                  Digging up an old thread, because the idea of FTLbased on gate technology is intriguing

It occurred to me that Destiny FTL could be using the elements of a stargate, but in a different order.
                  A stargate distorts spacetime to create a wormhole.
                  The "kawhoosh" disintegrates anything nearby,
                  Then the puddle converts matter to energy.

The Destiny FTL design is basically an inside out stargate.
                  Has anybody else noticed that Desitny is shaped like the divisions between the glyphs on it's stargate?
                  The ability to manipulate and compress spacetime to form a wormhole, suggests you'd also be able to compress spacetime ahead of you, then eject it out the back so it expands. Congratulations, you're now moving FTL.

That suggests that Destiny's shields are analagous to the kawhoosh and convert matter to energy.
                  Now, if you turn matter into energy as a result of travelling FTL, then Destiny might act like a Bussard fushion ramjet and power itself in FTL by using the FTL process itself to convert interstellar/intergalactic matter (particles, gas, dust ) to energy.

That suggests the ventral "big gun" isn't primarily for attacking ships, but for clearing the FTL flight path of rocks or asteroids, and erhaps as a sefety valve "Arcturus Gun" to dump energy and prevent an overload if the shields absorb too much energy over a short time.
                  Last edited by Hal_S; 28 May 2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X