Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
    Actually, I think my analogy is perfect
    What you think is irrelevant: all that matters is the evidence and you have yet to present any.

To put it another way: why should we use the "developing internal combustion engine" analogy instead of the "jet/rocket vs. propellers" analogy? What evidence (from the show) supports your analogy, other than the Destiny's age?
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Easy tiger....

None whatsoever. And frankly, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
        None whatsoever. And frankly, who cares?
        "Who cares" about what?

About the fact that your position has no evidence to support it? Honestly, that isn't even an issue.

About the fact that you are representing your position as though it were incontrovertible when, in fact, it has no evidence to support it? About the fact that you represent your position as what the writers actually intended when there is no evidence to suggest it? I care very much.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

hmm...
          @quadhelix-i did post something about this ftl drive stuff...in another thread..what if this ftl drive can't go above a certain speed in galaxy due to gravitational effects? however, the space between galaxies is pretty much empty of any such effects, and therefore the ftl can accelerate much better than in galaxy? hence the speedy journey times?
          with this being a shallow layer, unknown gravity fields can affect the ship etc? and also the kinda cool travel effect during ftl as a result of the shallow layer?

@nthchevron- perhaps the ftl drive tunnels through a layer of sub space, and this particular layer acts like a magnet when you enter its domain?

also, with the 4 hour use thing- perhaps there is some kind of radiation that can't be channelled effectively, thus using the ftl for under 4 hours causes a build up damaging the drives?
          strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

Or the 4 hour window could be the time it takes to discharge some kind of subspace static from the friction caused when passing into this "low-level subspace," also for the time until they can be used again could be just a cooldown method like some modern day machines require.

N.C

Comment

hmmm..
              perhaps there is a need to dissipate some kind of sub space radiation that is prevalent in that layer of subspace, and thus it needs to be dissipated safely..but this requires that the drives be used for 4 hours at least...similiar to what you've suggested...

Comment

Rush has said that Destiny doesn't use a hyperdrive engine or hyperdrive technology.

As far as I'm aware the only other way that would allow a vessel to travel faster than the speed of light is to use a warp drive (alcubierre drive), so contracting space in front of a craft and expanding the space behind it.

Destiny does appear to create some field around itself.

Comment

Originally posted by satnamboll28 View Post
                  hmmm..
                  perhaps there is a need to dissipate some kind of sub space radiation that is prevalent in that layer of subspace, and thus it needs to be dissipated safely..but this requires that the drives be used for 4 hours at least...similiar to what you've suggested...
                  The problem with the idea that the problem comes from radiation exposure during the flight is that such exposure would not force them to keep the drives running. If anything, it would prevent them from running the drives for long periods of time (see, e.g., the Wraith, who must stop periodically due to prolonged exposure to radiation in hyperspace).

Whatever causes the time limitations on Destiny's drives, it would have to be something that happens at the very beginning of a trip and at the very end, but not during the trip itself (or at least, to a much greater extent during the trip)

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                  Or the 4 hour window could be the time it takes to discharge some kind of subspace static from the friction caused when passing into this "low-level subspace," also for the time until they can be used again could be just a cooldown method like some modern day machines require.

N.C
                  Something like that seems reasonable - some sort of buildup of static or radiation when passing into and out of FTL.

One idea that I had was that, if the FTL system is some sort of Alcubierre drive (or something similar), the Destiny might have to run its engines in reverse to leave FTL. If it had a problem with the engines overheating when run at the strength needed to enter and leave FTL, then they would have to cool off before they could be used again, either to drop out of FTL or to jump back into it.

Comment

One thing that doesnt corroborate the FTL question, is in the last ep of SGU, Eli's plan involves making a continuous uninterrupted jump from the drone galaxy to the next galaxy.

This means there couldnt be a build up of energy in the FTL drives as a 3 year constant journey in FTL would most likely build such a force to such an extent as to force the engines to explode.

It would most likely be something to do with returning the to normal space/slowing to sub-light speeds.

N.C

Comment

Perhaps we should use the onion universe analogy?
                      Lets say the surface is where space as we know it exists.
                      Beneath the surface just one layer beneath normal space (sub space or even under space) the physics are different, as this is a place where the laws as we know it don't function the way they do in normal space.
                      Perhaps this layer, that exists directly under normal space is still extremely sensitive to gravitational disturbances, (hence the destiny doing what it did when it met that planet that wasn't there before, in faith?) but it still allows for hyperspace like speeds. Only thing is, the effort of handling this transition into this layer and out into normal space, causes perhaps a build up of exotic radiation, in the FTL engines, that will automatically dissipate after 4 hours via shielded systems that do so. At the time of launching, there was no known way to achieve FTL except this way, until the advent of HD engines that allowed for a ship to travel unhindered to a deeper layer, but this required exotic parts etc?
                      Good thing about destiny FTL engines, is that they last for a very long time, and when travelling through the void that exists between galaxies, as there is no gravitational disturbances of the kind prevalent in galaxies due to steller matter, planets etc, the FTL drive speeds can be cranked up to HD level? This would allow the engines to go to max, while at the same time dissipating the exotic radiation build up that occurs during the first transition into/out of this layer?
                      4 hour safety limit sorted, ftl at max, onward to the next galaxy. until transition out into normal space that is.

Comment

but it still allows for hyperspace like speeds. Only thing is, the effort of handling this transition into this layer and out into normal space, causes perhaps a build up of exotic radiation, in the FTL engines, that will automatically dissipate after 4 hours via shielded systems that do so.
                        The problem wit this is that it raises the question of why there is the radiation build-up when the ship jumps into the "shallow" layer of subspace, but not the deeper layer used by hyperdrives - it seems like, if anything, the problem should come from jumping into the deeper layer only.

At the time of launching, there was no known way to achieve FTL except this way, until the advent of HD engines that allowed for a ship to travel unhindered to a deeper layer, but this required exotic parts etc?
                        The problem with this idea is that Destiny's FTL is actually faster than most hyperdrives, such as those used by the Goa'uld. If Destiny's FTL is more primitive than hyperdrives, then weren't the Goa'uld using that form of FTL when it is faster than their "more advanced" drives?

Comment

Well maybe the solution to a build up of “exotic particles” could simply be normal radiation. If destiny is in a “shallow” frequency of subspace it would still be subject to some of our laws of physics yes? it would be subject to radiation from the stellar winds that would be slamming the ship (causing the visible aurora effect of the FTL.)
                          But I was thinking about this on my own a few months back and I had thought that destiny was simply in a very shallow pocket of subspace that was so shallow that it was still subject to the effects of relativity. Because the ship was still affected by relativity the ancients wove a time dilation device into the FTL engines so that just as the ship entered FTL the time device would engage and the crew could remain in normal time flow and so able to communicate with home as normal. This theory would also explain why the communication stones are interrupted when the ship goes into and out of FTL and the blur effect that we see as well as why it is so complex to add time to the countdown clock. But that’s just my thoughts anyway lol
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                            Well maybe the solution to a build up of “exotic particles” could simply be normal radiation.
                            What do build-ups or exotic particles have to do with Destiny's FTL?

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                            But I was thinking about this on my own a few months back and I had thought that destiny was simply in a very shallow pocket of subspace that was so shallow that it was still subject to the effects of relativity. Because the ship was still affected by relativity the ancients wove a time dilation device into the FTL engines so that just as the ship entered FTL the time device would engage and the crew could remain in normal time flow and so able to communicate with home as normal. This theory would also explain why the communication stones are interrupted when the ship goes into and out of FTL and the blur effect that we see as well as why it is so complex to add time to the countdown clock.
                            They problem with this idea is that relativity stops making meaningful predictions once relative speeds exceed the speed of light. Time dilation is an effect you would expect to see at sublight speeds; once speeds become greater than the speed of light, the equations of relativity start to turn out what looks like gibberish.

Comment

Has anyone stopped to consider that a non-hyperspace means of propulsion was necessitated by the overall mission itself? As Destiny travels though the universe, sensors detect and record the cosmic microwave background radiation. Were Destiny to utilize hyperspace propulsion, constant monitoring of that background radiation might not have been possible. Moving at faster than light speeds in normal space, vast distances could be covered while also maintaining the ability to capture and record the data needed. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                                Has anyone stopped to consider that a non-hyperspace means of propulsion was necessitated by the overall mission itself? As Destiny travels though the universe, sensors detect and record the cosmic microwave background radiation. Were Destiny to utilize hyperspace propulsion, constant monitoring of that background radiation might not have been possible. Moving at faster than light speeds in normal space, vast distances could be covered while also maintaining the ability to capture and record the data needed. Just a thought.
                                I never thought of it that way. That makes logical sense. Destiny's mission is to track and find the origin of that radiation. Very astute observation, Alexander.

Comment

Working...
                                X