Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SGU Rewatch - Discussion thread ( Spoilers for all Episodes : please read post #1)

Some time ago Artemis-Neith and I decided to do a SGU rewatch together. We agreed that as much fun as PMs, VMs and e-mails are, good old discussion thread which other fans can join is even better, thus this thread was born.

Please take a note that we declare this thread a

*UNICORN ZONE*.

In other words, this is a thread for fans. If you hate SGU, think it destroyed the franchise, can't stand a single episode or the actors etc. etc. - this is NOT a place for you. There are plenty of other threads on the forum where you can vent. We want this thread to be a place where fans of the show can discuss what they love, but also what they think could have been done better, without having to justify or defend their opinions all the time. Critique is very welcome, as long as it's not bashing. We all have our preferences, our pet peeves and issues with various aspects of the show and this is where we can discuss them with fellow fans.

Both Artemis and I are very busy these days, so we don't have a fixed timetable for the rewatch. We plan to watch together episodes that "belong" together. We are starting with Air I-III tonight, which we'll discuss till Friday, maybe Sunday if it's deemed necessary, and then we'll hopefully move on to Darkness & Light for the next week.

Have fun folks!
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    awesome sig by Josiane

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: SGU Rewatch - FUN Discussion thread (spoilers for all episodes)

Just finished Gauntlet last night. I felt like I could crawl-up into a ball and cry (figuratively speaking). I was so emotionally invested in it, this series was so fantastic.

Default Re: SGU Rewatch - FUN Discussion thread (spoilers for all episodes)

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat3ny View Post
    Just finished Gauntlet last night. I felt like I could crawl-up into a ball and cry (figuratively speaking). I was so emotionally invested in it, this series was so fantastic.
    Know how you feel, it's still weird to think there is no new Stargate. I lament the premature end of a great series, I just felt there was so much more to explore, character and adventure wise.

I've tended to revisit the earlier episodes as it was there where I was wondering whether this was a show I was going to watch or not. It's good now to go back and see what formed my view of this show as one I came to like.

I've only watched 'Gauntlet' once since it first aired, as it just seems too sad to see Destiny disappear into the distance, never to come out of FTL on my TV screen again to face new adventures.

I think it's a great idea to sit down in this thread and watch it again, a bit of group therapy for all of us who miss it!!!

River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

Default Re: SGU Rewatch - Discussion thread ( Spoilers for all Episodes : please read post #1

Oh, I'm in! If I'm understanding correctly, I have until Friday to watch and discuss Air I-III, then we are off to the next couple of episodes.

I might be a bit slow (don't know how much I can watch before Friday), but I'll catch up!

Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Default Re: SGU Rewatch - Discussion thread ( Spoilers for all Episodes : please read post #1

This was the only series cancellation that have seriously had me upset to no end. I'm finding alot more nuances in rewatching it. Such a great show that really deserved much better from SyFail.

I watched Air I&II last night. I haven't watched it in a long time, a least a year. D**n it's good! Takes me back to how excited I got after watching it the first time. It was such a step up, I thought a natural progression for Stargate. An intriguing story line with some great characters.
    At first I thought Dr. Rush was going to be a real suck up, but as the story progressed it becomes clear this guy is something else.
    I got all teary eyed when the lights first came up on the dark interior of Destiny, found myself hoping it was a revival of the story! But, hey, I'm dealing with it.
    I still get a big kick out of the scene were Eli opens his front door and talks with O'Neill and Rush. I can imagine what I'd be thinking if these two strange dudes where at my front door! The beaming up was perfect!
    Last edited by jeri; November 9th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

*Pokes head in for a sec*

Just a suggestion, stick to the topic of SGU love and I don't think you will have a problem with the intitial request (keeping it a "Unicorn" Zone). If you "stray to far" however, people WILL get narky and thats not what you want is it?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

I'm going to be slow - I probably won't get to watch Air I-III until Friday, but I'm hoping to stay on track after that. Would you believe that my DVDs are sitting there untouched since I bought them? Couldn't bring myself to watch until now, y'all are a good influence on me . . .

I'm too busy to actually rewatch SGU but I'll gladly take part in the discussions. Can't wait until we re-engage the Justice debate
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I'm too busy to actually rewatch SGU but I'll gladly take part in the discussions. Can't wait until we re-engage the Justice debate
    I think that Justice debate is fascinating, so will look forward to it.

It seems I've caused trouble on the very first page, I do not wish to upset the pleasantries, so I will endeavor to think long before I type!
    Last edited by jeri; November 9th, 2011 at 05:40 PM.

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Ok.Seems some clarification is needed on this topic already.

Petra set up this thread as an SGU REWATCH thread ,with a preference for positive critique and friendliness : not as a zone to carry on discord and disagreements with other members.

Draw a line under that,and/or use PM/E-mail to take things up between individuals.
    If you want to ignore others' opinions or you don't want to interact with them,use your Ignore list feature.

IF any "bashing" starts ,it's as ever,in the eye of the beholder as is "Squee" or any degree of opinion between those informal classifications ,so use the report feature : do not derail the thread into he said /she said or use the thread to denigrate fans/non-fans of SGU.

Discuss the episodes and episode content civilly ,as you go through the rewatch and no modding should be required at all.

Thank you!

Bagpuss.

^^^Thanks Baggy for stepping in and reaffirming the ground rules. Hopefully you won't have to intervene again.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    I think it's a great idea to sit down in this thread and watch it again, a bit of group therapy for all of us who miss it!!!
    Exactly! Plus I think it will be nice to discuss the whole series in one go. I must confess I haven't rewatched it at all since the cancelation, so I'm sure it will be very interesting for me!

Quote Originally Posted by carmencatalina View Post
    Oh, I'm in! If I'm understanding correctly, I have until Friday to watch and discuss Air I-III, then we are off to the next couple of episodes.
    That's correct. I think though that we'll extend time to watch/discuss Air till Sunday, seeing as it's Friday already and neither Artemis nor I had time to write down our reviews. So no worries, I'm sure you'll keep up.

Couldn't bring myself to watch until now, y'all are a good influence on me . . .
    That's a first! Usually I hear I'm bad influence on people...

He he, me too. I'm sure it will be interesting. Meanwhile though, Air!!!
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    awesome sig by Josiane

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    That's correct. I think though that we'll extend time to watch/discuss Air till Sunday, seeing as it's Friday already and neither Artemis nor I had time to write down our reviews. So no worries, I'm sure you'll keep up.
    Oh, that is very helpful - my plan is to watch Air tonight and Saturday - and post some thoughts on Sunday!

Oh, that is very helpful - my plan is to watch Air tonight and Saturday - and post some thoughts on Sunday!
    Make sure to mention how Rush marooned 80+ people on damanged spaceship for his own selfish interests
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Make sure to mention how Rush marooned 80+ people on damanged spaceship for his own selfish interests
    Yeah, but somebody had to do it!

Before I start, first of all, a big thank you to Petra who started the thread, and find some good words to introduce our idea to everybody. I hope some of you who want to participate in the discussion, will have a good time going with us from episode to episode, and discuss a few things anew, or see some things in another light, or whatever might happen.

Just keep in mind: stay to your opinion, say what you want to say, discuss everything, but keep it fair. No bashing, neither of people here, nor of those in the show. All of us are here to have fun, so, please have fun!

The Beginning couldn’t have been better. Space. Stars. Haunting music. A giant Spaceship floats slowly throw the space until it fills the whole view. The sound steps up. The camera is gliding above the surface of the ship starting from its nose, across the erratic surface, which shows a lot of uprisings and conducts. A small dome came into sight. The camera came closer and closer, and finally digs into the ship. Now she is flowing above the ground through dimly lit and empty corridors and reaches a room with a spinning stargate. A man flys through the gate, he’s a soldier. He tries to calculate and back up his position. Before he’s able to do his job more people are flying through the gate, faster and faster. Flying on each other, one upon the other, and in no order at all. Screams and chaotic voices can be heard. Some people are injured, others were injured while hurling through the air and reaching the flour. Hard. Too hard. The camera dwells on some faces, and finally stops on a person lying on the ground. It’s a man. He sits up, is looking for something on the basement, grabs his broken glasses, stands up, is going to a staircase, and starts to climb up the stairs. In the meanwhile the sound has changed. The chaotic and screaming voices starts to fade, they sounds like a wafting tone after passing a wall of cotton. The man had reached the top and stoped at the railing. He overlooks the chaotic mass at the ground, and starts to grin, suddenly. From now on the story is interruped with cut-backs to show how all of this starts.

The first person we met in the first flashback is Eli Wallace. He’s a computer freak, a nerd, who spents most likely most of his time playing computergames with his nerdy friends. Without having a choise he’s convulted into a story which will be no question the biggest adventure of his whole life. As will be seen later, he is very smart, but also a bit annoying in his „nerdyness“. Aside from that, he looks like an everyday guy, nice and a little bit overweighted.

Aside from General O’Neill people may recognise from the former Stargate series, Dr. Nicholas Rush is the second person we met. He’s the chief scientist of the Icarus base, a relative small fascility far away from earth. People there are working on a secret project to encode the so called ninth chevron. Rush, who couldn’t decode the ninth chevron on his own tried to find help, therefore he created a computergame to find someone who is able to solve the problem. In the end he finds Eli Wallace. So, Rush is obviously smart, smarter than anybody in his former surrounding, but he’s not a genius. As we’ll see later he’s woraholic. He don’t take part in social life at the basis, and he grieves his wife.

When the Icarus basis came under attack, he dicides, without thinking about the consequences for everybody else, to dial the ninth chevron instead of a safer address somewhere near earth to evacuade the Icarus base. On the ship he’s unfortunately the only one who is able to use the ancient computers, without too big problems, and to read Ancient, fluently. Though some of the other scientists seems also have a rudimentary understand of it, but by far not all, and with the exception of Ser Riley, also none of the soldiers. The people who are not very amused about his decission know that very well, and therefore they have to deal with him, even if nobody wants to. And when Chloe Armstrong nearly smashed him into a wall, and hits, and kicks him as best as she’s able to, nobody seems to be very shocked about it.

As the story proceeds it shows up, that he has a bad relationship with Colonel Young, and seems not to be too exalted about any of the soldiers. During an argument he had with Lt Greer, it came to light that he is not from a more or less rich family, but had a working class background. That means he has learned to fight, and had to fight hard enough to reach his goals, so it seems not too far away, in hindsight, that he didn’t let the last opportunity pass away to dial the ninth chevron.

Rush is not the classical bad guy, but he’s also not the easiest person to deal with, and he is the person who generates the biggest discussions. Most of the time it’s possible to understand his actions and why he does things, but not always, and sometimes I got the fieling that the writers were a bit too obsessed with making him the bad guy, and forget to keep it traceable.

And not to write too much I have to sum up the rest. From this first three episodes I got a good introduction to all characters. The colonel who don’t want to lose any of his men and woman, the „green“ but smart Lt Scott, the loyal soldier Lt Greer, the „nice“ Lt Johanson, The smart and feminiene Lt James, Dr Volker, Mr Brody, the unsure (at the beginning) Camile Wray, the smart, but in the begining overextendet Chloe Armstrong and all the other folk I’ve seen.

It was a good start for me, though, I think I’d prefered to shorten the family stories on earth a bit and expand other scenes more, for example to show more of the ship, or give more interactions between persons onboard Destiny. But I can live very well with the product I got. Nothing really to complain about.

I watched Air part 3 this morning, and was reminded of poor Palmer and Curtis! I think it was made clear that the ship does lock out those other gate addresses for a reason! Never heard from again! This set up an important precedent that Rush has quite a good understanding of Ancient language and technology, and that he is essential to their survival. Because of a personal bias by Palmer about Dr. Rush(not trusting him, with good cause), an otherwise brilliant scientist made a fatal judgment error. Eli certainly saw the flaw in her thinking. I think that all the scientific personal on Icarus base are brilliant at their specific fields of study, probably mostly all geniuses. After all, Stargate command would only pick the best there is for the program, and certainly for an off world project.
    Col. Young’s statement to Gen. O’Neill about these being the wrong people is correct in that they are not trained for expeditions, but they certainly have the intelligence and education to rise to the occasion. It’s interesting to note here that emotion does not always follow intelligence, and we are often driven by emotion at the expense of common sense. Dr. Rush giving into his 9th Chevron obsession, Palmer”s fatal error, illustrate this.
    Dr. Rush is a genius as it is stated later on in the series, but of coarse we see that Eli is one of those few incredibly gifted ones. Genius varies with each individual and their talents lie in different areas. Rush is your man for the language and coding (just another form of language) and extrapolating intent and detail from the science of Destiny. Now along comes Eli, “the math boy”. He is what Rush needs, but is frustrated by Eli’s lack of maturity and the “slacker” mentality he has developed. Rush has worked so hard to get where he is, and to see Eli not pursuing and using his talents is tragic. I think this sets in motion Rush’s reluctance to work together with Eli, he has no confidence in Eli, and is of coarse jealous of the talent. This sets up Eli’s story arc of growth, but of coarse this takes a long time to come about. This is one of the major points I enjoyed about SGU, was the reality of it, that no one in Eli’s position is going to snap to overnight and become this perfect scientist. Eli I think is quite aware of the utter fantastic and dangerous place he finds himself in, but he must learn how to step up, how to manage. Eli in the beginning is found in a prolonged adolescent state, and now he forced to grow up fast.
    I will probably try to talk about the particular aspects of each episode that I found most interesting, because if I were to cover it all, I’d be writing a book! And you really won’t want that!

Just finished 'Air' and I won't write as much as you did.

But I have to say a big huge Thank You for encouraging me to start this rewatch!

You don't have to write much, just say they had a lovely day at the beach!

First Lieutenant themeatcleaver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeri View Post
    You don't have to write much, just say they had a lovely day at the beach!
    Can i just say that i LOVE this shot?? haha i wish it was actually in the show!

/we couldnt bring the crate with the medical supplies but we've got the one with the umbrellas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast