Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGU Rewatch - Discussion thread ( Spoilers for all Episodes : please read post #1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I start, first of all, a big thank you to Petra who started the thread, and find some good words to introduce our idea to everybody. I hope some of you who want to participate in the discussion, will have a good time going with us from episode to episode, and discuss a few things anew, or see some things in another light, or whatever might happen.

Just keep in mind: stay to your opinion, say what you want to say, discuss everything, but keep it fair. No bashing, neither of people here, nor of those in the show. All of us are here to have fun, so, please have fun!

The Beginning couldn’t have been better. Space. Stars. Haunting music. A giant Spaceship floats slowly throw the space until it fills the whole view. The sound steps up. The camera is gliding above the surface of the ship starting from its nose, across the erratic surface, which shows a lot of uprisings and conducts. A small dome came into sight. The camera came closer and closer, and finally digs into the ship. Now she is flowing above the ground through dimly lit and empty corridors and reaches a room with a spinning stargate. A man flys through the gate, he’s a soldier. He tries to calculate and back up his position. Before he’s able to do his job more people are flying through the gate, faster and faster. Flying on each other, one upon the other, and in no order at all. Screams and chaotic voices can be heard. Some people are injured, others were injured while hurling through the air and reaching the flour. Hard. Too hard. The camera dwells on some faces, and finally stops on a person lying on the ground. It’s a man. He sits up, is looking for something on the basement, grabs his broken glasses, stands up, is going to a staircase, and starts to climb up the stairs. In the meanwhile the sound has changed. The chaotic and screaming voices starts to fade, they sounds like a wafting tone after passing a wall of cotton. The man had reached the top and stoped at the railing. He overlooks the chaotic mass at the ground, and starts to grin, suddenly. From now on the story is interruped with cut-backs to show how all of this starts.

The first person we met in the first flashback is Eli Wallace. He’s a computer freak, a nerd, who spents most likely most of his time playing computergames with his nerdy friends. Without having a choise he’s convulted into a story which will be no question the biggest adventure of his whole life. As will be seen later, he is very smart, but also a bit annoying in his „nerdyness“. Aside from that, he looks like an everyday guy, nice and a little bit overweighted.

Aside from General O’Neill people may recognise from the former Stargate series, Dr. Nicholas Rush is the second person we met. He’s the chief scientist of the Icarus base, a relative small fascility far away from earth. People there are working on a secret project to encode the so called ninth chevron. Rush, who couldn’t decode the ninth chevron on his own tried to find help, therefore he created a computergame to find someone who is able to solve the problem. In the end he finds Eli Wallace. So, Rush is obviously smart, smarter than anybody in his former surrounding, but he’s not a genius. As we’ll see later he’s woraholic. He don’t take part in social life at the basis, and he grieves his wife.

When the Icarus basis came under attack, he dicides, without thinking about the consequences for everybody else, to dial the ninth chevron instead of a safer address somewhere near earth to evacuade the Icarus base. On the ship he’s unfortunately the only one who is able to use the ancient computers, without too big problems, and to read Ancient, fluently. Though some of the other scientists seems also have a rudimentary understand of it, but by far not all, and with the exception of Ser Riley, also none of the soldiers. The people who are not very amused about his decission know that very well, and therefore they have to deal with him, even if nobody wants to. And when Chloe Armstrong nearly smashed him into a wall, and hits, and kicks him as best as she’s able to, nobody seems to be very shocked about it.

As the story proceeds it shows up, that he has a bad relationship with Colonel Young, and seems not to be too exalted about any of the soldiers. During an argument he had with Lt Greer, it came to light that he is not from a more or less rich family, but had a working class background. That means he has learned to fight, and had to fight hard enough to reach his goals, so it seems not too far away, in hindsight, that he didn’t let the last opportunity pass away to dial the ninth chevron.

Rush is not the classical bad guy, but he’s also not the easiest person to deal with, and he is the person who generates the biggest discussions. Most of the time it’s possible to understand his actions and why he does things, but not always, and sometimes I got the fieling that the writers were a bit too obsessed with making him the bad guy, and forget to keep it traceable.

And not to write too much I have to sum up the rest. From this first three episodes I got a good introduction to all characters. The colonel who don’t want to lose any of his men and woman, the „green“ but smart Lt Scott, the loyal soldier Lt Greer, the „nice“ Lt Johanson, The smart and feminiene Lt James, Dr Volker, Mr Brody, the unsure (at the beginning) Camile Wray, the smart, but in the begining overextendet Chloe Armstrong and all the other folk I’ve seen.

It was a good start for me, though, I think I’d prefered to shorten the family stories on earth a bit and expand other scenes more, for example to show more of the ship, or give more interactions between persons onboard Destiny. But I can live very well with the product I got. Nothing really to complain about.
    sigpic

Comment

I watched Air part 3 this morning, and was reminded of poor Palmer and Curtis! I think it was made clear that the ship does lock out those other gate addresses for a reason! Never heard from again! This set up an important precedent that Rush has quite a good understanding of Ancient language and technology, and that he is essential to their survival. Because of a personal bias by Palmer about Dr. Rush(not trusting him, with good cause), an otherwise brilliant scientist made a fatal judgment error. Eli certainly saw the flaw in her thinking. I think that all the scientific personal on Icarus base are brilliant at their specific fields of study, probably mostly all geniuses. After all, Stargate command would only pick the best there is for the program, and certainly for an off world project.
      Col. Young’s statement to Gen. O’Neill about these being the wrong people is correct in that they are not trained for expeditions, but they certainly have the intelligence and education to rise to the occasion. It’s interesting to note here that emotion does not always follow intelligence, and we are often driven by emotion at the expense of common sense. Dr. Rush giving into his 9th Chevron obsession, Palmer”s fatal error, illustrate this.
      Dr. Rush is a genius as it is stated later on in the series, but of coarse we see that Eli is one of those few incredibly gifted ones. Genius varies with each individual and their talents lie in different areas. Rush is your man for the language and coding (just another form of language) and extrapolating intent and detail from the science of Destiny. Now along comes Eli, “the math boy”. He is what Rush needs, but is frustrated by Eli’s lack of maturity and the “slacker” mentality he has developed. Rush has worked so hard to get where he is, and to see Eli not pursuing and using his talents is tragic. I think this sets in motion Rush’s reluctance to work together with Eli, he has no confidence in Eli, and is of coarse jealous of the talent. This sets up Eli’s story arc of growth, but of coarse this takes a long time to come about. This is one of the major points I enjoyed about SGU, was the reality of it, that no one in Eli’s position is going to snap to overnight and become this perfect scientist. Eli I think is quite aware of the utter fantastic and dangerous place he finds himself in, but he must learn how to step up, how to manage. Eli in the beginning is found in a prolonged adolescent state, and now he forced to grow up fast.
      I will probably try to talk about the particular aspects of each episode that I found most interesting, because if I were to cover it all, I’d be writing a book! And you really won’t want that!
      sigpic

Comment

Just finished 'Air' and I won't write as much as you did.

But I have to say a big huge Thank You for encouraging me to start this rewatch!
        sigpic

Comment

You don't have to write much, just say they had a lovely day at the beach!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
            You don't have to write much, just say they had a lovely day at the beach!
            Can i just say that i LOVE this shot?? haha i wish it was actually in the show!

/we couldnt bring the crate with the medical supplies but we've got the one with the umbrellas!

Comment

Ok, I'm late as usual but also very happy that despite RL conspiring against me, I found the time to rewatch all 3 parts of Air!!!

I need to admit right off the bat that it was my first rewatch of Air I & II since their premiere and it was nice to be able to put the show into certain perspective. I found that I missed or forgot a lot of little details over the course of the show. For example, it was really cool to have Park, Brody, Volker, Riley and Franklin all appear in the premiere, albeit in such small roles that back than I wouldn't have dreamed of them becoming such a vital, integral part of the series. That was really well done!

I also need to remind everybody that I'm a huge Greer fangirl and in general I'm in Young's team. It took me a really long while to warm up to Rush and even this, I think, was in part due to cool Rush fangirls I've met on this forum.

Right, so now that everybody knows where I'm coming from, I can start writing down my thoughts about Air I-III.

First of all, I really love the music and visuals on the show. I think they are some of the best I've ever seen on tv and I keep waiting (hopelessly) for the soundtrack to be released. I've always loved Joel Goldsmith's music (except for the movies ) but I think he outdid himself in SGU. The score at the end of part III, when Matt and Ron are rushing back to the Gate and everyone's anxiously waiting for them is one of my favourite tv/movie scores ever.

Coincidentally, these few minutes are also among my favourite scenes in the entire franchise. They made me feel excited about Stargate for the first time since the end of season 8 of SG-1; more than that, they turned me back into a Stargate fan just when I was ready to quit. I've lost count of how many times I rewatched that scene, and every single time it's still just as good.

The first time I watched Air, I liked part I, found part II to be too predictable to really enjoy it and loved part III. I didn't change my opinion upon rewatching, although I admit I found a new appreciation for character moments in part II. Nevertheless, pacing of part II still doesn't work for me. I'd hate to say it's too slow, because I've never found SGU to be slow (then again, I tend to watch a lot of independent movies with little to no action by Hollywood standards, so I'm used to it *shrug*), but something's definitely not working there for me.

Speaking of not working, with all the sympathy I have for Elyse Levesque, her dramatic scenes are lacking for me. Thankfully her acting skills greatly improved over the course of the show.

Same goes for RDA. Everybody who knows me knows I love the guy, and Jack O'Neill will always be my fave tv character ever, but I'm not impressed with his scenes in Air I, they came off to me as if he was just reading his lines. I'm sure actually acting against AT would have helped a lot, alas...but again thankfully, in Air III he was back in top form and I freaking loved his Jack O'Neill again, with clear conscience

As a sidenote, judging by his comment that everyone in the Stargate project is not really qualified for it, and earlier comment in SG-1 that all members are a little crazy, I think he's more forgiving of the Icarus personnel's issues than some fans are

Back to the episodes. I wish the show utilised non-linear story-telling more often, because I loved it. I think once or twice the sudden time-shift was a bit confusing, so the writers could have worked on that a bit, but all in all, I think it was an excellent idea executed very well.

I also wish we found out more about Young's condition. IIRC the reason for his seizure and him collapsing at his house in his flashback was never explained. I always suspected it was going to come into play later on in the series (sort of like Bartlett's illness in The West Wing), but due to the cancelation we never got around to it. It's such a shame...

I also have a question. Was it ever explained to the regular folks onboard the Destiny that it was Young who'd had the presence of mind to take the stones, not Rush?

A few words about the characters.

As I mentioned, I'm not really a Rush fan. And it's not even that I disagreed with his actions, I just found his character rather lackluster in the beginning. This hasn't changed, although I came to appreciate Rush more in season 2. In season 1 he's just there for me. I honestly found other characters more compelling.

Eli, although instantly likeable and gifted with infectious energy and fascination with everything around him, which as a fan I couldn't help but share, (and played very well by David) still came off as your stereotypical nerd in Air I&II. It wasn't untill part III than he won me over with his honesty ('You want to get rid of me because I'm slowing you down') and courage. And then of course was the whole journey of his character, IMO one of the better done character developments in the franchise.

Matt was set up to be an awesome character. Rewatching these 3 episodes reminded me how he used to be one of my favourite characters on the show. I had big expectations regarding his arch and development and it makes me sad that the show never got the chance to delve deeper into his issues and background and I ended up being "meh" about Scott. Still, in Air he got one of the most fascinating introductions in the franchise.

I don't have much to say about Camille. I remember being indifferent to her in season 1 and warming up to her in season 2. We'll see how much this rewatch will change my feelings.

From the flashback I got an impression that she and TJ had somewhat closer relationship and could have even become friends. I wish we could see more of their interaction. Speaking of TJ, she was awesome here. Her giving Telford a sedative is one of my favourite character moments in the franchise. And again, I find myself wishing for more TJ in the series and thinking what could have been done with her character had season 3 been greenlit. *sigh*

I think Chloe's introduction was ok. It was nice to see a girl on a Stargate show who had a close, loving and full of understanding relationship with her parents. Also, I totally forgot about the scene when Matt asks her to tell him about the Senator; it's a really nice scene.

Lastly, my 2 favourite characters, Greer and Young.

I guess Greer did come off as a bit crazy in the scene where he was pointing a gun at Rush by the console and Matt needed to intervene, but apart from that I never got the crazy!angry!black man vibe so many fans had issues with. Greer wasn't perfect, but he had his set of rules and his code of honour and I loved that about him. I liked him from the start, he won me over with his decision to go back for Lt Scott (Jack would have been so proud!) and with the opening scene in Light he secured his place as my fave character. But more on that later.

As for Young, while I was watching Air I kept thinking to myself how obvious it was why Jack personally handpicked Young for the Icarus project. His dedication to duty, loyalty to his people, desire to protect them even at personal cost, notion of doing himself what he couldn't bear to ask others to do, quick thinkng - that's all very Jack O'Neill. I have some issues with how quickly Young recovered enough to be able to walk around the ship, but all in all, I'm very happy with the way he was introduced.

And that's it from me for now.

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
              Before I start, first of all, a big thank you to Petra who started the thread, and find some good words to introduce our idea to everybody.
              Thanks hon, but may I remind you, it was your idea? *hugs*

On the ship he’s unfortunately the only one who is able to use the ancient computers, without too big problems, and to read Ancient, fluently. Though some of the other scientists seems also have a rudimentary understand of it, but by far not all, and with the exception of Ser Riley, also none of the soldiers.
              Hmm, are you sure? I seem to remember someone else being quite fluent in Ancient, but for the life of me I can't remember who that was (Park maybe?). I guess I'll see later on. But from purely logical and practical standpoint it doesn't make sense for Rush to be the only one able to speak/read/write Ancient fluently. I mean, Icarus base was dedicated to researching the 9th Chevron, aka Ancient research in Ancient language, so it's not possible that only the head scientist was able to read and understand the researched material.

Rush is not the classical bad guy, but he’s also not the easiest person to deal with, and he is the person who generates the biggest discussions.
              That's probably right. Because Ash and I were too busy ogling Greer to properly discuss Rush's actions. What can I say, we all had our shallow moments! And the man is gorgeous, so I feel justified.

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
              Can i just say that i LOVE this shot?? haha i wish it was actually in the show!
              Me too!
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Matt was set up to be an awesome character. I ended up being "meh" about Scott.
                I know what you mean Petra I had hoped for more with him.
                I didn't think much of Camile the whole first season, either. She didn't seem to really "fit" into the show until sn 2, I noticed a distinct change in depth of character later. I loved TJ right from the beginning, I still wanna be her when I grow up!
                I of coarse am one of those in the Rush camp, and although I think Eli is a lovable guy, I do see Rush's frustrations with him. After 20+ years at a college, I've seen the "slacker dude" more than a few times. It was fun comparing him from beginning to end, the growth that he goes through, is, I think, very well done.
                As for Rush's motivations, well the man's a messed up piece of work, who makes a big selfish mistake. I think this is what leads to his somewhat panicked attitude later in Darkness (besides the withdraw thing). And Col. Young has got his own baggage as we shall see. So let the fireworks begin. Ain't it great!
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not rewatching because I'm super busy but I do want to say that I absolutely loved Air I to III. I remember I couldn't believe how awesome the episode was five minutes in, and that's when my obssession with SGU started

I do have to say there was one thing I didn't like, and that was Scott (who I never warmed up to) and it was not because of that sex scene
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

In Darkness I was trying to get a better understanding on what it is about Volker that Rush so dislikes. When Col. Young sends Dale Volker to help Dr. Rush, this is the first time we see them interact. It’s obvious that Rush already doesn’t like him, and in his heightened irrational state, things go from bad to worse quick. It’s also obvious that poor Dale has not a clue how to handle this guy either. He really pushes things by stating short sighted observations. It’s as if Volker has given up and is resigned that they can not do a thing. That’s where Rush loses his patience with him and makes him leave.
                    To see Volker sheepishly going to Young, is sad indeed. I think they are trying to set him up as someone who is not demonstrative at all, someone who is definitely “not the right people”. I can understand Rush’s frustrations, and perhaps this event with Volker happening while he is half out of his mind, leaves a lasting distaste for the man. As Dale describes, “a whole new kind of crazy”.
                    Col. Young had tried to help by upholding Dr. Rush’s request to stop using power and to get him some assistance. But it seems no one is up to handling a slightly mad scientist with a bad case of withdraw.
                    As Rush starts to boil over it’s interesting to watch that Col. Young sees it happening and recognizes he can do nothing but let him blow. Someone who has reached the rank of Colonel would know a thing or two about psychology. We will see later on that the Colonel looses his grip on this. In such a situation, and dealing with such a difficult person as Rush, things can get out of perspective fast.
                    I noticed also in this episode that the problems between Young and Rush are fundamental. Rush is sure of his abilities as a scientist and is demanding of his right to make decisions. Whereas Young is sure of his duty to lead and make decisions. One can see them both developing the escalating arrogance towards each other that leads them into further animosity.
                    Then there is Eli. He really is not doing anything. The Colonel even tells him to go help. It seems Eli does not know what he should do and perhaps is afraid of Rush? His lack of involvement at this dire time furthers Rushs’ annoyance with this young man. It really illustrates his immaturity with his lack of acceptance of responsibility to pitch in and help. I think this gives Young the opportunity to manipulate Eli to his “side”. He sees that Eli needs guidance and takes on the task. This sets Eli on a indecisive path of being on the fence between the Col. and Rush. Not a good place to be.
                    sigpic

Comment

I watched Air part 3 this morning, and was reminded of poor Palmer and Curtis! I think it was made clear that the ship does lock out those other gate addresses for a reason! Never heard from again! This set up an important precedent that Rush has quite a good understanding of Ancient language and technology, and that he is essential to their survival. Because of a personal bias by Palmer about Dr. Rush(not trusting him, with good cause), an otherwise brilliant scientist made a fatal judgment error. Eli certainly saw the flaw in her thinking. I think that all the scientific personal on Icarus base are brilliant at their specific fields of study, probably mostly all geniuses. After all, Stargate command would only pick the best there is for the program, and certainly for an off world project.
                      Col. Young’s statement to Gen. O’Neill about these being the wrong people is correct in that they are not trained for expeditions, but they certainly have the intelligence and education to rise to the occasion. It’s interesting to note here that emotion does not always follow intelligence, and we are often driven by emotion at the expense of common sense. Dr. Rush giving into his 9th Chevron obsession, Palmer”s fatal error, illustrate this.
                      Dr. Rush is a genius as it is stated later on in the series, but of coarse we see that Eli is one of those few incredibly gifted ones. Genius varies with each individual and their talents lie in different areas. Rush is your man for the language and coding (just another form of language) and extrapolating intent and detail from the science of Destiny. Now along comes Eli, “the math boy”. He is what Rush needs, but is frustrated by Eli’s lack of maturity and the “slacker” mentality he has developed. Rush has worked so hard to get where he is, and to see Eli not pursuing and using his talents is tragic. I think this sets in motion Rush’s reluctance to work together with Eli, he has no confidence in Eli, and is of coarse jealous of the talent. This sets up Eli’s story arc of growth, but of coarse this takes a long time to come about. This is one of the major points I enjoyed about SGU, was the reality of it, that no one in Eli’s position is going to snap to overnight and become this perfect scientist. Eli I think is quite aware of the utter fantastic and dangerous place he finds himself in, but he must learn how to step up, how to manage. Eli in the beginning is found in a prolonged adolescent state, and now he forced to grow up fast.
                      I will probably try to talk about the particular aspects of each episode that I found most interesting, because if I were to cover it all, I’d be writing a book! And you really won’t want that!
                      The accident with Palmer & Curtis! Sometimes even I have to admit that military rules are there for a good reason. As long as those are the right decissions, no problem, like in this case. But what happen if those decissions are wrong, and people know, they're wrong? (rethorical question!)
                      I think it is quite clear, that Eli is a very gifted young man, but he has this "slacker mentaly". Just now, because of this accident, he's the first time forced to use his abilities. In a way, for Eli, this was the best thing which could happen to him.

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                      Greer fangirl and in general I'm in Young's team. It took me a really long while to warm up to Rush and even this, I think, was in part due to cool Rush fangirls I've met on this forum.
                      The actor is really nice to lock at, and aside from that I think he played a very interesting character in the show, very well.

First of all, I really love the music and visuals on the show. I think they are some of the best I've ever seen on tv and I keep waiting (hopelessly) for the soundtrack to be released. I've always loved Joel Goldsmith's music (except for the movies ) but I think he outdid himself in SGU. The score at the end of part III, when Matt and Ron are rushing back to the Gate and everyone's anxiously waiting for them is one of my favourite tv/movie scores ever.
                      The music was absolute great. One of the important players in SGU, among others! (not as good as BSG, but not too far away. Btw, where's this CD with the music?)

Speaking of not working, with all the sympathy I have for Elyse Levesque, her dramatic scenes are lacking for me. Thankfully her acting skills greatly improved over the course of the show.
                      Elyse Levesque is a very young, and unexperienced actress, I also noticed that her acting was not at any time spot on, but mostly it was believable. For example the scene with her seeing her father dying worked for me, but the following scene with Rush didn't.

As a sidenote, judging by his comment that everyone in the Stargate project is not really qualified for it, and earlier comment in SG-1 that all members are a little crazy, I think he's more forgiving of the Icarus personnel's issues than some fans are

Back to the episodes. I wish the show utilised non-linear story-telling more often, because I loved it. I think once or twice the sudden time-shift was a bit confusing, so the writers could have worked on that a bit, but all in all, I think it was an excellent idea executed very well.
                      That worked well for me, but a lot of people seems to be not very comfortable with it. I guess it forces the onlooker to watch carefully, otherwise you'll miss something. I can understand that not everybody wants to watch such a TV show. That's the reason I nearly stopped watching during the week, no time, and I don't want to be attentively. Some easy going shows would do, maybe, but I don't like easy going shows.

I also wish we found out more about Young's condition. IIRC the reason for his seizure and him collapsing at his house in his flashback was never explained. I always suspected it was going to come into play later on in the series (sort of like Bartlett's illness in The West Wing), but due to the cancelation we never got around to it. It's such a shame...
                      Ah, that was answered, don't ask me when. But JM mentioned it on his blog, IIRC. It was not really a flashback, but a mingling between a conservation he had with his wife, and the injury he got while flying through the gate. But you're right, I also thought it should have some kind of meaning.

I also have a question. Was it ever explained to the regular folks onboard the Destiny that it was Young who'd had the presence of mind to take the stones, not Rush?
                      I think it was "mentioned" for us, but maybe (?) not for the people on board Destiny. At some time very early Rush saw the case and used it, before anybody realised it.

A few words about the characters.

As I mentioned, I'm not really a Rush fan. And it's not even that I disagreed with his actions, I just found his character rather lackluster in the beginning. This hasn't changed, although I came to appreciate Rush more in season 2. In season 1 he's just there for me. I honestly found other characters more compelling.
                      Lackluster. Maybe because he's described as an very imperfect man? Not sure if it's something like that, but for me he was a believable, normal, but problematic person. A scientist who is very good in his profession, but very far from being perfect, and sometimes doing exactly the wrong things. That's unfortunately very human. I never found his person boring.

Eli, although instantly likeable and gifted with infectious energy and fascination with everything around him, which as a fan I couldn't help but share, (and played very well by David) still came off as your stereotypical nerd in Air I&II. It wasn't untill part III than he won me over with his honesty ('You want to get rid of me because I'm slowing you down') and courage. And then of course was the whole journey of his character, IMO one of the better done character developments in the franchise.
                      Eli was never too stereotypical for me. Maybe that's because I don't often watch TV. A lot of things are new for me if they came up in the few shows I watch.

Matt was set up to be an awesome character. Rewatching these 3 episodes reminded me how he used to be one of my favourite characters on the show. I had big expectations regarding his arch and development and it makes me sad that the show never got the chance to delve deeper into his issues and background and I ended up being "meh" about Scott. Still, in Air he got one of the most fascinating introductions in the franchise.
                      Typical heroes are the more boring characters for me. I didn't liked Apollo in BSG (luackluster?), and Scott got the same place for me. But he had his moments.

I don't have much to say about Camille. I remember being indifferent to her in season 1 and warming up to her in season 2. We'll see how much this rewatch will change my feelings.

From the flashback I got an impression that she and TJ had somewhat closer relationship and could have even become friends. I wish we could see more of their interaction. Speaking of TJ, she was awesome here. Her giving Telford a sedative is one of my favourite character moments in the franchise. And again, I find myself wishing for more TJ in the series and thinking what could have been done with her character had season 3 been greenlit. *sigh*
                      Camile was very unsure in the begining, it took some time for her to realise what happend, and to find her place in the begining. Camile's work was Human Resource Issues, so her job is to speak, and to help people, if necessary.

TJ worked for me very well. I liked her from the start.

As for Young, while I was watching Air I kept thinking to myself how obvious it was why Jack personally handpicked Young for the Icarus project. His dedication to duty, loyalty to his people, desire to protect them even at personal cost, notion of doing himself what he couldn't bear to ask others to do, quick thinkng - that's all very Jack O'Neill. I have some issues with how quickly Young recovered enough to be able to walk around the ship, but all in all, I'm very happy with the way he was introduced.
                      I'm sure Young was picked up at some time because he was the right man for the job, and that's because I guess, that this special army folk should be handpicked. But at some time, he lost it. And that is one of the things the writers missed to tell me at the right time.

Thanks hon, but may I remind you, it was your idea? *hugs*
                      My idea, but you opened the thread!

Hmm, are you sure? I seem to remember someone else being quite fluent in Ancient, but for the life of me I can't remember who that was (Park maybe?). I guess I'll see later on. But from purely logical and practical standpoint it doesn't make sense for Rush to be the only one able to speak/read/write Ancient fluently. I mean, Icarus base was dedicated to researching the 9th Chevron, aka Ancient research in Ancient language, so it's not possible that only the head scientist was able to read and understand the researched material.
                      Fluently is the important word here. Some of the scientist were able to read Ancient, but how fluent was not clear. Brody seems to know, and Park, Volker not that much in the begining, others? I don't know. The point is, it looks like he is the one who got an good idea how to work the old computers, others can use them also, but not so efficently. If he would be easy to replace they would have done it, don't they?

As for Rush's motivations, well the man's a messed up piece of work, who makes a big selfish mistake. I think this is what leads to his somewhat panicked attitude later in Darkness (besides the withdraw thing). And Col. Young has got his own baggage as we shall see. So let the fireworks begin. Ain't it great!
                      Couldn't have said it better!
                      sigpic

Comment

I thought Elyse's acting was great from the beginning, I enjoyed her character through and through

That being said, my favorite thing about SGU is the complexity of the characters and the fact that I hated each of the characters at least one
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Huum I know the episodes of SGU by heart, I have them to look so time. A series which I like enormously, with a history(story) if intensse, I am satisfied that certain persons to decide to look again.
                          sigpic
                          by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

I finally found some time to watch "light".

“This is what Destiny intended from the moment it entered the star system”. A wonderful phrase, and what a great idea. The ultimate in solar power. If only I could get my car to run on solar power.
                            There had been much criticism about Chloe and Scott falling into bed quickly. It seems to me that Chloe finding comfort in Scott is quite reasonable, having just lost her father, being stranded on a decrepit space ship, and believing death is imminent. I can see how she is attracted to him, he is somewhat like her father, taking on responsibility with his military position, and having the wherewith all to do what’s necessary, as he did in “Air”. I was not surprised at all. I don’t think someone like Chloe would take Eli seriously. She earned her college degree, unlike Eli, and was working in an important job in her Senator father’s office.
                            At this point Eli appears quite immature as far as stepping up and contributing. He doesn’t seem to know how. It could be his unconventional approach to study that leaves him at a loss to fit in with the science team. His lack of enthusiasm towards working seriously has caused Dr. Rush to be annoyed with him, which has given an opening to Colonel Young to try and foster a loyalty in him. Young sees that Eli is the only one capable of matching Rush’s ability to decipher this Ancient ship, and wants to have Eli on his side. Young sees first hand how the Math Boy and the Scientist can pull together and solve an impossible task. He also sees Eli’s great need for a patient mentor, which Rush is seemingly incapable, or unwilling to do. As a colonel, Young should be rather talented in fostering unconfident and unexperienced personal.
                            The whole lottery idea was interesting in how those who were to survive, ended up being those who would need to be saved. A classic turn around. Both Young and Rush withdraw from the lottery, Young ever the Commander, putting those in his charge first. Then Rush, stating Destiny to be his own destiny.
                            Does Dr. Rush really know more than it seems? I believe that he did not know exactly what Destiny would do, but may have had an unproven theory going in his head about Destiny’s power supply. True to the scientific method, that theories must be proved, he would not have ventured a wild guess without sufficient evidence to back up the theory. His pragmatism would keep him from even suggesting, the gamble would be too unpredictable. If Rush had an idea about Destiny’s course, he would not risk being responsible for catastrophe. I believe he also did not want to interfere with what Young decided to do because of the contempt that everyone appears to be having for him at this time. He gives some pause to doubt with his enigmatic attitude in the mess hall after all is secure. The Colonel wonders if he knew what would happen? Or is he just being a sour puss?
                            It appeared that Rush was getting along with the Colonel and everyone, but then when things seem to be better, he reverts back to a pessimistic attitude of hostility towards the Colonel. Did he suspend his disdain during the solar situation, because of their supposed impending death. That would give one pause for reflection, time to put aside the differences. Now that that things are not so dire, Dr. Rush has given thought to recent events with Col. Young’s lack of trust, his lack off respect. He knows this will continue, as he says during the calculations to get the shuttle back, ”this would be an excellent time to trust me”. So it is not far from his mind. I believe this is why he acts so cryptic in the mess hall, mistrustful and critical, questioning the Colonels motivations. All the Colonel can say is, “lotta work”.
                            sigpic

Comment

I loved the first episodes of SG:U as well.. especially Light/Darkness and Water, I watched all ready two times this year so I have to give a break, but probably gonna do re-watch same time next year... , I am still sad that SG:U had to go but glad we got at least two wonderfull worked out seasons!
                              sigpic

Comment

The beauty of Netflix is being able to watch every episode of SGU whenever. Having the other two shows along with the movies as well helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X