Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Law and Order discussion and appreciation

I couldn't find a similar thread...

Now, as many people know, the Law and Order franchise is sort of on its last legs here in America. Criminal Intent ended this summer, Law and Order Los Angeles got cancelled after its first season, and, of course, the original L&O ended last year after twenty years. Conviction and Trial By Jury were both failures. Now the only Law and Order in America is Special Victims Unit, which happens to be my favorite, followed by Criminal Intent. Elsewhere, Britain, France, and Russia have their own shows, and I believe that a new one is being produced, set in Cape Town, South Africa.

In any case, I believe that a franchise of this size deserves its own appreciation and discussion thread. With over 900 hours of televised programming, and spanning 21 years, there is no question it had a significant impact on television.

So, what is/was your favorite show, and who is your favorite character?

My favorite character by far is Stabler, and I already said SVU is my favorite.

Also, for fans of Law and Order UK, how good is it? I have never watched but I might consider trying it out.
    sigpic

I liked the orginal Law & Order as I feel the spin-offs focus too heavily on the Law side and neglect the Order
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I liked the orginal Law & Order as I feel the spin-offs focus too heavily on the Law side and neglect the Order
      I really hate the Order part...That's why I have refused to watch it. Plus it doesn't really affect my mind like SVU and at times CI does...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        I couldn't find a similar thread...

My favorite character by far is Stabler, and I already said SVU is my favorite.

Also, for fans of Law and Order UK, how good is it? I have never watched but I might consider trying it out.
        Stabler was my favorite on SVU.

I have seen a few episodes of Law and Order UK and I liked it. The episodes I watched used the same stories from the original and changed them a little bit. Jamie Bamber is in it as one of the cops.

The original has always been my favorite.

A favorite character from the original is tough as I have a lot of favorites.
        sigpic

Comment

I used to watch Criminal Intent, but I found the leads annoying and at one point it seemed the two detective duos were alternating; one duo one week and another the next. Never warmed up to the second duo, but wasn't a big fan of Eames and Gorren (or whatever their names were) to begin with. The guy was such a know it all and while I can normally accept one genius in a TV show, he was just so annoying about it. I often wondered why he even needed his colleagues and felt like Eames was just his redheaded sidekick, in some lame attempt to have a woman in the show. Neither of them had any charisma and I can't even recall the other duo because they were so unimpressive. Also, I didn't find a lot of the cases they were working on that interesting.

There used to be episodes of Law & Order around dinner time and sometimes I'd catch one, but never got too attached to them. There also seemed to be a lot of cast changes, or maybe that was due to them being reruns, I don't know! There were a few I could recognize (Abby and Jack McCoy come to mind at the moment), but not a lot. From what I recall, this mostly played out in the courtroom.

Nowadays, I only watch Special Victims Unit because I enjoy (that sounds so wrong, but it's interesting!) the cases, the mix of police work and court time and I like the characters. While I liked Cabot a lot, I don't mind the changing (A)DAs much although there were a few that I found very annoying. I'm not yet sure what to think of the new cast this season, mostly because that one guy keeps reminding me of Scotty Valens (Cold Cases) because the two characters are played very much the same. Don't like Rollins yet, but don't hate her either; I actually find her character a bit confusing as sometimes she's the newbie and other times she has loads of experiences (or connections to big cases at her old station). I miss Stabler though! I thought he and Olivia were great partners, even if he sometimes went too far and she had to cover for him (although she had her moments as well these past twelve years). I also like how Munch and Fin (and Cragen of course) are still there and how most of them don't mind switching partners every now and then.

Oh, my favorite character would be Olivia Benson. I think it's a shame what she's done to her face though...
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I really like SVU, and it's definitely my favorite of all the Law & Order shows. I used to watch the original series, but got tired of it. Never really watched any of the others.

As to favorite characters - I'm gonna go with Benson. She's tough as nails, but on the other hand has a softer side - and she lets it show, without being afraid anyone would think any less of her because of it. She's a character I can really relate to. Stabler is a close second though, and I also liked Cabot a lot. I was sorry she was writen out (even though it was done very well, imo).

Edit: Just saw fems' post.

Originally posted by fems View Post
            I think it's a shame what she's done to her face though...
            What has she done to her face?
            Last edited by Raw_Deal; 04 November 2011, 01:51 PM.
            sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
            - R.E.M.

Comment

I heard that mariska is leaving the show? or is she staying on for a bit?
              SVU was my fave but without her and stabler it's just not as much fun. HOnestly i think this'll be its last season
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Raw_Deal View Post
                Edit: Just saw fems' post.

What has she done to her face?
                I don't know! I suspect botox or a facelift or something, but it looks different than in previous seasons. Her forehead hardly moves these days, her standard facial expression looks more disappointed/bored/dissatisfied/angrier and her mouth droops more.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                I heard that mariska is leaving the show? or is she staying on for a bit?
                SVU was my fave but without her and stabler it's just not as much fun. HOnestly i think this'll be its last season
                Well, I hope she isn't leaving but I wouldn't be surprised if she would... in the last episode Benson seemed just tired of everything and in real life MH just adopted another baby.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  I don't know! I suspect botox or a facelift or something, but it looks different than in previous seasons. Her forehead hardly moves these days, her standard facial expression looks more disappointed/bored/dissatisfied/angrier and her mouth droops more.
                  Ah, I haven't seen the newer seasons yet. They only finished showing season 10 here not long ago.
                  sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                  - R.E.M.

Comment

Has anyone seen "Law and Order:UK"? I just found it on Netflix.....I'd like to see what Jamie Bamber's up to.

IHS
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
                      Has anyone seen "Law and Order:UK"? I just found it on Netflix.....I'd like to see what Jamie Bamber's up to.

IHS
                      I have seen 3 or 4 episodes. I liked it.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like L&O UK, just kinda hard to catch on bbc america.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I love SVU, but was disappointed that there's no more Stabler I think I read somewhere that Benson will still be there but not as much as she usually is. Don't want to say too much about what I read in case you don't want to be spoiled.

I preferred CI when it was Goran and Eames, didn't like it as much when they brought in other Detectives and started alternating them.

I didn't watch the UK version so couldn't say if it was good or not.
                          sigpic

Comment

Benson is still around, but Stabler is gone.
                            sigpic

Comment

This winter break will be good cause I'm gonna finally watch all of my seasons on DVD (I have 16...11 of SVU and 5 of CI). I have had them for nearly a year and have only watched the first season and part of the second season of CI and part of the first season of SVU, mainly cause I was watching with my girlfriend and she can only take so much of SVU before she gets depressed...Lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X