Goa'uld Names for Things Israeli City Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goa'uld Names for Things Israeli City Names

I noticed recently that the the Go'auld language terms for Jaffa (Tealc's Human Offshoot 'Race') and Lotar (Go'auld's Personal Servant) are also real-life names of two of Israel's cities. Anybody else notice this? If we were to try and connect apst Go'auld events on Earth to the Israel of the Stargate universe, how might we explain these similarities?
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

There's no city in Israel called Lotar. I'm Israeli and the only Lotar I can think of is an Eilat-based training school for counter-terrorism units, but in their case it's an abbreviation for "lohama be-terror" (fighting against terrorism).

"Jaffa" is probably just a coincidence. Maybe the screenwriters were eating a Jaffa orange while brainstorming for the name.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I've been aware for a long time that there is a city in Israel named Jaffa, but only recently realized they were the same name.

And as pointed out by Womble,

LOTAR is a complete combat concept, derived from real-life situations and personal experience, LOTAR focuses on teaching techniques that recognize, assess and neutralize a threat in the quickest, simplest and most instinctive way possible."
      It's also an acronym:

LOTAR - Long Term Archiving and Retrieval - of digital technical product documentation, such as 3D-CAD and PDM data
      A LOTAR is also a Moroccan guitar.

Comment

Not just Israel, lots of other countries too.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Several Canadian cities cropped up as planet names.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
            Several Canadian cities cropped up as planet names.
            Right, isn't there a city in British Columbia called Kelowna?

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
              Right, isn't there a city in British Columbia called Kelowna?
              Yes, it's in the Okanagan Valley
              sigpic
              Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Working...
              X