Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about trying this series out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about trying this series out...

So I'm a long time fan of sci-fi but didn't REALLY get into what I would call the "culture" of it until this summer, when I tried out Stargate SG-1. Since then I have finished up SG-1, Atlantis, started BSG, and thinking about trying out more shows. This happens to be one of the ones I'm thinking of.

The main complaint I am getting out of the reviews on Amazon is bad special/visual effects, some so bad they can wreck havoc on suspension of disbelief (which I am willing to be put through to a point). But I have read the plot of the show and I cannot deny that it is an appealing one. For season 2, a lot of the reviews seem to say that the show went downhill quickly..So is this true? And is it worth it?
    Last edited by Gen. Chris; 01 November 2011, 01:42 PM.
    sigpic

I also recently started watching Sanctuary after finishing all the Stargates. I was drawn to it because Amanda was in it, but I was bit a skeptical at first. After only three episodes, I was hooked.

I think, with the declining reviews, a lot of people were reacting at first
    Spoiler:
    to the death of Ashley.
    Also, they start to develop the series into more of just an episode-by-episode abnormal hunt and give it more of an overall plot. I actually think this was an improvement. And, IMHO, most of the visual effects are very believable. There is only one that ever really bothered me, and it was very brief. I think this is definitely a show that is worth giving a try: there is a lot of good writing and acting, and who doesn't want to watch a show with
    Spoiler:
    Jack the Ripper, Dr. Watson AND Nikola Tesla???
    The show is quite a ride and always keeps things interesting, while still somehow managing to stay believable (IMHO).
    Last edited by Elorendil; 01 November 2011, 03:23 PM.
    Signature by Glitch33.
    sigpic
    Official assistant thread elf of the Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young appreciation thread and member of the Teslen thread.

Comment

^ please place spoiler tags around the first line of the second paragraph, if not more

Comment

Yeah, you just kind of just spoiled a part of the show for me...lol
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry, you said you read reviews, so a) I assumed that meant that you knew that part (since most of the reviews I've seen about the second season are pretty vocal about that particular part of the show), and b)since it is several seasons past that stuff and no longer considered 'spoiler' material. My apologies.
          Last edited by Elorendil; 01 November 2011, 03:46 PM.
          Signature by Glitch33.
          sigpic
          Official assistant thread elf of the Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young appreciation thread and member of the Teslen thread.

Comment

Lol, I skip over the ones that are obviously going to be talking about details of the plot
            sigpic

Comment

I'd say it depends on what you look for in a show. If you're really into special/visual effects, than maybe it wouldn't be the best show for you (but nowhere NEAR as bad as SyFy movies, well not typically anyway). But if you're looking for great story lines and especially great characters, then it's totally for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post
                I'd say it depends on what you look for in a show. If you're really into special/visual effects, than maybe it wouldn't be the best show for you (but nowhere NEAR as bad as SyFy movies, well not typically anyway). But if you're looking for great story lines and especially great characters, then it's totally for you.
                I can live with bad special effects if they aren't bad enough that they can completely ruin suspension of disbelief...Lol
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                  I can live with bad special effects if they aren't bad enough that they can completely ruin suspension of disbelief...Lol
                  Well personally I don't think they are THAT bad (not that I would know anything about that kind of thing). They do have their moments, but imo the stories and amazing characters make up for it.

Comment

If you've just watched Stargate, which has very bad special effects if you look back at the beginning of the show with the technology we have today, then I don't think you'll find the visual/special effects all that bad in Sanctuary.

Just try it out, if you don't like it just stop watching
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Personally I don't find special effect so bad they would usually affect on how enjoyable the show is. Two episodes have suffered from the effects, imho.

But then again, I actually like the effects in old Star Wars movies

2nd season and quality of the plot... Some things became different, that is true, and I think some people didn't like the developments.

In general I liked the changes. Not because they are all that great, but there is only so many seasons one can write monster of the week episodes before it gets boring. The changes were needed, and even when some of the awe I loved in the first season was lost, I think the changes did more food than harm to the quality.

Comment

Sorry I let this go...

I'm going to wait on this show until Winter Break or maybe after...I wanna try out other shows as well...The sci-fi genre is mostly untapped for me, and I still have many shows to go
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          Sorry I let this go...

I'm going to wait on this show until Winter Break or maybe after...I wanna try out other shows as well...The sci-fi genre is mostly untapped for me, and I still have many shows to go
                          oh okay. sanctuary might not have the best special effects but the storyline is great as are the charcter's and actors.
                          sigpic

Comment

Though Sanctuary has science-fiction window dressing, it really is not science-fiction. Science-fiction is generally the kind of story that could happen. Sanctuary is all about abnormal creatures, species, and things that go bump in the night. It's basically a dark fantasy with sci-fi elements, mostly in the realm of gadgets and such. That said, it is a very fun show to watch. I've only seen the first two seasons, but from that, I can say the show is very entertaining. If you like dark fantasy, give it a go. I've really got to make the time to see the third season. From what I've read, the episodes sound very good.

Comment

It still sounds like something I could like...lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X