Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,733

    Default Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.(S1 Spoilers/Spec)

    it hit me. like a brick. no an anvil.


    what is this purpose of Terra Nova Mira talks about? i think i know it. it was hinted at in the very first episode.


    remember when Taylor said that he was the first man, but the second did not show up untill 118 days or so later?


    this means time is not 100% synchronous between 2149 and Terra Nova. it would be almost stupid if it was, since messing about with the Time Hole would directly mean messing about with the time link itself. since messing about with the time hole already happens when they open it up, this means that at any time you could alter time.


    this is one way, and it very likely is an engineering issue rather than a physics one.

    so the purpose of Terra Nova: send people back in time, and then back to a future or past in the 2149 timeline.

  2. #2
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    it hit me. like a brick. no an anvil.


    what is this purpose of Terra Nova Mira talks about? i think i know it. it was hinted at in the very first episode.


    remember when Taylor said that he was the first man, but the second did not show up untill 118 days or so later?


    this means time is not 100% synchronous between 2149 and Terra Nova. it would be almost stupid if it was, since messing about with the Time Hole would directly mean messing about with the time link itself. since messing about with the time hole already happens when they open it up, this means that at any time you could alter time.


    this is one way, and it very likely is an engineering issue rather than a physics one.

    so the purpose of Terra Nova: send people back in time, and then back to a future or past in the 2149 timeline.
    To what end?

    It could be a possibility...but other than this one piece of evidence that's been sited...we have no proof. But it is an interesting theory.

  3. #3
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,733

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    to control the future and past?

  4. #4
    Colonel s09119's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    7,456

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Interesting theory, but it's a different timeline. We know from the pilot that utilizing the time portal created an alternate timeline that everyone sent back to Terra Nova lives in; they and 2149 live in entirely separate realities.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

  5. #5
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,733

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    but they're connected.via the Time Hole

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    but they're connected.via the Time Hole
    connected to another place

  7. #7
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,733

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    but that time hole. connects back.

  8. #8
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    to control the future and past?
    IMHO...to do that...I think there would have to be two way travel.

  9. #9
    Captain Steelbox's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    IMHO...to do that...I think there would have to be two way travel.
    It would just be a matter of opening the portal back to 2149 from 85m BC. And that could be the purpose of the box mira sent the girl to. Remember the quary? They could be contructing an underground portal back to 2149..., to ludricus yes, but the thought stays thou.
    http://email.faxem.com.au/download/files/01445/1279070/iStock_000010944279Small_Header.jpg
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

  10. #10
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    It would just be a matter of opening the portal back to 2149 from 85m BC. And that could be the purpose of the box mira sent the girl to. Remember the quary? They could be contructing an underground portal back to 2149..., to ludricus yes, but the thought stays thou.
    Interesting theories...and I see how they could play out. However, I don't think they would control the future if its an alternate timeline.

  11. #11
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    it hit me. like a brick. no an anvil.


    what is this purpose of Terra Nova Mira talks about? i think i know it. it was hinted at in the very first episode.


    remember when Taylor said that he was the first man, but the second did not show up untill 118 days or so later?


    this means time is not 100% synchronous between 2149 and Terra Nova. it would be almost stupid if it was, since messing about with the Time Hole would directly mean messing about with the time link itself. since messing about with the time hole already happens when they open it up, this means that at any time you could alter time.


    this is one way, and it very likely is an engineering issue rather than a physics one.

    so the purpose of Terra Nova: send people back in time, and then back to a future or past in the 2149 timeline.
    It is quite possible they are lying about Terra Nova being an alternate earth. If this were the case the future could basically "order" something and the Terra Nova folks could deposit stuff (ore, minerals, etc.) somewhere they could be easily retrieved. The conflict may be that Taylor doesn't want to play.

  12. #12
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    gone...
    Posts
    4,787

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    It is quite possible they are lying about Terra Nova being an alternate earth. If this were the case the future could basically "order" something and the Terra Nova folks could deposit stuff (ore, minerals, etc.) somewhere they could be easily retrieved. The conflict may be that Taylor doesn't want to play.
    Or it could mean that they ultimately failed and they don't want the future to know.

  13. #13
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,440

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    or the other way round, 2149 knows that Terra Nova get's destroyed/failed somehow but doesn't want to tell them they're wasting their time building a new future so they use the excuse of an alternative timestream.

    My bet's still is that they are in an parallel universe, perhaps one running that never saw humans develop - so far I've seen nothing to support the time travel answer, other than there are dinosaurs there (maybe the extinction event never occurred in this universe?).

  14. #14
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    or the other way round, 2149 knows that Terra Nova get's destroyed/failed somehow but doesn't want to tell them they're wasting their time building a new future so they use the excuse of an alternative timestream.

    My bet's still is that they are in an parallel universe, perhaps one running that never saw humans develop - so far I've seen nothing to support the time travel answer, other than there are dinosaurs there (maybe the extinction event never occurred in this universe?).
    The show did establish that they traveled back in time to an alternate Earth. Beyond that...everything is speculation.

  15. #15
    General the fifth man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.
    Posts
    34,107

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Speculating is half the fun, isn't it?

    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

  16. #16
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    Speculating is half the fun, isn't it?
    That it is!

  17. #17
    Captain
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,976

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    The show did establish that they traveled back in time to an alternate Earth. Beyond that...everything is speculation.
    For all we know the Ice Age could happen sooner & the Extinction event could even happen sooner

  18. #18
    Captain Steelbox's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Interesting theories...and I see how they could play out. However, I don't think they would control the future if its an alternate timeline.
    They could, but not the Taylor and company future. Now they build a portal back to 2149. There must be some powerful people in 2149 and the idea of going 85 miliion in the "past" and have to redo theire empire all over again is not a briliant idea to them. Now if they can build a portal back to 2149, they can espabilish an commerce back and forth they get even more rich and in the end since you can come and go freely the people will not not be all that interested in presenving the "past"and doing it "right".
    http://email.faxem.com.au/download/files/01445/1279070/iStock_000010944279Small_Header.jpg
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

  19. #19
    Captain tomstone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    They could, but not the Taylor and company future. Now they build a portal back to 2149. There must be some powerful people in 2149 and the idea of going 85 miliion in the "past" and have to redo theire empire all over again is not a briliant idea to them. Now if they can build a portal back to 2149, they can espabilish an commerce back and forth they get even more rich and in the end since you can come and go freely the people will not not be all that interested in presenving the "past"and doing it "right".
    That was my guess too. It would explain Miras "Control the Past, Control the future". Whoever controls the Portal on the other Sidse ultimatly can blackmail his way to the most powerful Person of all time.

    In the end I am not sure if it is that easy to build a way back. On the Pilot I posted that the Gate was inbetween 2 particle accelerators and I am pretty sure that is what powers the travel. So to build a way back they would theoretically have to build the same, wouldnt they?
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

  20. #20
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    They could, but not the Taylor and company future. Now they build a portal back to 2149. There must be some powerful people in 2149 and the idea of going 85 miliion in the "past" and have to redo theire empire all over again is not a briliant idea to them. Now if they can build a portal back to 2149, they can espabilish an commerce back and forth they get even more rich and in the end since you can come and go freely the people will not not be all that interested in presenving the "past"and doing it "right".
    Hmmmm...we shall see. That seems a bit to creative for anyone in the TV industry to come up with now days...

Similar Threads

  1. Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation SPOILERS
    By Madwelshboy in forum Terra Nova
    Replies: 649
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2014, 07:05 AM
  2. Terra Nova - The Box (Spoilers for The Runaway)
    By thekillman in forum Terra Nova
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: November 15th, 2011, 03:27 AM
  3. Terra Nova Virtual Watch Party 10/31 !!!SPOILERS!!!
    By LtColCarter in forum Terra Nova
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: October 31st, 2011, 08:49 PM
  4. Terra Nova Virtual Watch Party 10/17 !!SPOILERS!!
    By LtColCarter in forum Terra Nova
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: October 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
  5. Terra Nova Virtual Watch Party 10/10 !!!SPOILERS!!!
    By LtColCarter in forum Terra Nova
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: October 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •