Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terra Nova - The True Purpose of Terra Nova.(S1 Spoilers/Spec)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    The show did establish that they traveled back in time to an alternate Earth. Beyond that...everything is speculation.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only established that they travelled to an alternative Earth, it was never established (for me) that they went back in time, it was only assumed they went back in time because of what was there.

When they sent the probe back, they couldn't find it in the future, which means it either never went back in time, it went to an alternative universe, or both (this is of course ignoring their lame arse excuse of it went to an alternative timstream, which makes no sense at all).

I know the premise of the show is that they went back in time, but it's not like shows writers to lie to us over the premise of a show to get a big payoff later is it?

The Dinosaurs are also not accurate for the time period they're supposed to be in, which is either poor writing, or another clue - just depends how clever or lazy the producers have been as to whether it actually means something in the long term.

My gut tells me they've just been slap happy with the details rather than seeding little foreshadows in for payoff later like Moffat does with DrWho, but given what we've been told and shown, if I were writing I'd have a huge game changer event lined up for the finale which would explain all these little things that are just not quiet right.

I'm in the alternative universe camp
    Last edited by Ian-S; 31 October 2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

(this is of course ignoring their lame arse excuse of it went to an alternative timstream, which makes no sense at all).
      why is this lame. i am not quite sure how to picture a time stream, but basically the tear in time is a wormhole in the truest sense and the hardest sci fi. it links to a place quite like earth. in terms of multidimensional physics, we're not even in infancy. more like the part where the sperm is created and the eggs mature.

Quantum Physics does not rule out the alternative time stream. Relativity does not rule out the alternative time stream. the only thing that MIGHT is energy, as the energy required for a wormhole like that to be opened would require far more than 2 LHC's.

otherwise, it's actually pretty logical and makes sense.

I'm in the alternative universe camp
      i am not sure what the difference is between this and the alternate time stream. in fact, i believe Alternate Timeline, Alternate universe and Alternate Timestream are different names for the same thing.

after all, time is a set dimension. alter it and you alter the other dimensions. by physics, an alternate timeline immediately is an alternate universe. same for Timestream.

The Dinosaurs are also not accurate for the time period they're supposed to be in, which is either poor writing, or another clue - just depends how clever or lazy the producers have been as to whether it actually means something in the long term.
      unless it's a historic documentary, few writers ever want to get it down to the very last detail. besides i believe the main argument for the dinosaurs is that Spielberg does not wan to use the same ones as in his Jurrasic Park.

plus, i don't find it disturbing and i believe some 90% of the people who watch it, if not 99.99% do not care.

Comment

-ALTERNATE TIMELINE V SAME UNIVERSE-
        In the 1st episode the moon is closer to the earth as it would have been (though i think a little exagerated for TV). This says that it is the past unless you beleive they've connected to an alternate universe that didn't start until 85 million years after ours.

-ENDGAME-
        As for the "they all get killed by a meteorite or science experiment gone wrong". Yes technically possible but you need to remember this is TV land. Terra Nova is being biled as a family friendly show so I don't think they would end it like that.

-ONE WAY TIME PORTAL-
        I'm thinking the time portal is always maintained as a small apeture to allow direct radio contact. Reverse travel is only impossible because there isn't a human size "sending" mechanism, what everybody has been calling the particle accelerators, on the TN side.

-THE SIXERS-
        They haven't said whether the Terra Nova project and Hope Plaza are purely American ventures or if the entire planet of the 2140s is behind it. Depending on that I think the Sixers are a subversive group sent by either the other contries trying to get in on the American's TN monopoly. Or they are part of a group from the future looking for profit or power similar to the rougue NID from SG1. They have co-conpirators on the Hope Plaza end and a method of sending concealed signals through TN data feed.

-QUARICH.... ERRR.... TAYLOR'S SON-
        Obviously some kind of science genius I think Taylor's son might have been sent back to gather data and see if reverse travel and altering the future was possible. He and his dad have a falling out over whether it would be morally right to do so v simply starting civilisation anew and now he is continuing to work on the problem and leaving notes for daddy dearest to show that his arguement has teeth.

My own theories:

I accept that they are in an alternate timeline because that opens more possibilities without having to deal with paradoxes and predestination problems within their own universe.

Endgame Possibility A) The future eventually loses contact with TN when they no longer have the resources to maintain the portal. At his point the scientifically advanced decendents of TN who have finally built a sending device on their end come through to the future with the resources and technology to save the planet. Why didn't they do this earlier, because then they might have interfered with the events that established their civilisation in the first place.

Endgame Possibility B) The writers and studio bail on us and give us an ambiguous 'and they carried on forever into an uncertain future' type ending like the end of SGU or so many other shows recently.

Endgame Possibility C) The show gets canned, ends on a cliffhanger and we never find anything out unless you count the few inevitable books that may or may not be considered canon.

Endgame Possibility D) Wouldn't have a clue. Please not ancient aliens.

Any thoughts? Or am I full of crap?

Comment

the first time i saw the equations i actually thought "aliens".

the Endgame: why not the camera zooming out on an advanced Terra Nova, further and further into space, and then a big asteroid and a tag "the end"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            remember when Taylor said that he was the first man, but the second did not show up untill 118 days or so later?
            Why is that? Why don't the other settlers experience the same effect?

Comment

given that the "time machine" would have been pretty much a prototype, the messing about with the wormhole could've caused it to go back further in time or less far

Comment

You know I have been thinking about a few things while re-watching Terra Nova on Hulu. One is that in 'Nightfall' Jim said that the Eye was something that did not exist in this world or back in 2142. If they are trying to devise a way back to the future but several years earlier then when they left (like for instance before Taylor went over seas to Somalia) then they would know all of the information and details of certain conflicts and such to give them the upper hand. All of the information about everything ever known is a very valuable information for people in the right places.

You also have to consider the amount of energy that is required for time travel. In 2142 being able to produce a lot of energy for time travel might not be that hard, but for TN the problem could be one that needs to be solved.

You could also look at the daydreaming side of it and think about the timeline and consider that TN could be a start of Stargate with us being the ancients.
                Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said, "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if are to be saved at all."

Comment

why is this lame......
                  You make a good point about the 3 descriptions maybe being the same. To me it just seems it's their way of avoiding the Grandfather paradox. I dunno, I could just be being picky but it doesn't sit right that when they went back "in time" it created a new timeline - surely if it did that, then by conventional time-travel theory, it would delete the timeline they came from (like in BTTF2), so there would be no more people coming through etc. Maybe they just didn't want to use the words Alternative Universe.

Originally posted by ajiva View Post
                  Why is that? Why don't the other settlers experience the same effect?
                  Maybe it was as simple as after they sent Taylor through, they waited 118 days before sending through a platoon?
                  (A bit like what happened when they sent that guy through the stargate in the 60's - when the rope broke they assumed he was dead and didn't send anybody else only to discover years later he was alive - can't remember the episode title sorry)

Comment

i watched VS and i was right.

the true purpose is to use Terra Nova as a resource ground.

You make a good point about the 3 descriptions maybe being the same. To me it just seems it's their way of avoiding the Grandfather paradox. I dunno, I could just be being picky but it doesn't sit right that when they went back "in time" it created a new timeline - surely if it did that, then by conventional time-travel theory, it would delete the timeline they came from (like in BTTF2), so there would be no more people coming through etc. Maybe they just didn't want to use the words Alternative Universe.
                    well one point is, Alternate universe kind of rings a bell to everyone. it gives prejudice. Terra Nova is kind of an Alternate universe, but in the past. the exact amount of difference between Terra Nova and 2149 would determine what terminology applies.

although technically an Alternate Timeline, since it was discovered and not made, it means that it existed before. this makes it an Alternate Universe. however it's not really "alternate" as, while many things are similar, it's not much of an AU in traditional terms of "what if X was never born" or so.

it's in a different Timestream, and it kind of allows the writers freedom of to what degree they can make the times different. it might just be an alternate form of Earth where time flows slower.

Maybe it was as simple as after they sent Taylor through, they waited 118 days before sending through a platoon?
                    (A bit like what happened when they sent that guy through the stargate in the 60's - when the rope broke they assumed he was dead and didn't send anybody else only to discover years later he was alive - can't remember the episode title sorry)
                    Tornment of Tantalus. and yes that crossed my mind.

Occam's razor suggests that the connection was either broken, a malfunction occurred or the power production was not sufficient to allow a new contact.
                    (for power-consuming experiments, the powerplants are called to determine wheter there is enough capacity to do the experiment)

Comment

Occam's razor?

Comment

Occam's razor: the simplest solution is, usually, the best solution

Comment

i watched VS and i was right.

the true purpose is to use Terra Nova as a resource ground.
                          The true purpose for at least a few of the people is to use it as a resource ground. If TPTB on future earth wanted it as a resource ground, the next pilgrimage would be entirely made up of military people to take over Terra Nova. The fact they've only been able to partially infiltrate just one pilgrimage tells me those behind the sixers aren't in charge.

Comment

Working...
                          X