My First Time Through Farscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhapsody in Blue

Meh. I didn't dislike the episode, but I felt that it's one of the weaker ones so far. Maybe that's because it was Zhaan focused and she's my least favourite character. Anyhoo, it was cool to learn about more the Delvians and their Force powers. Zhaan's crime was also revealed, the most peaceful person on the ship is also the one with a real crime to speak of.

It was cool to learn a bit more about John's past, Alex was a cool addition to the episode.

So a bit of Zhaan is in John and vice-versa, I wonder if this will play out in any way in the future

Jeremiah Crichton

As a Stargate fan, I couldn't help but notice the similarity to SG1's A Hundred Days (which I've just found out actually aired months after this). It wasn't too similar, they had they same plot premise but they executed it differently from one another.

While I enjoyed it more than the last one, I don't really feel that I have much to say on it

Durka Returns

This was a really good episode.

When I first saw Chana, I knew she around to stay simply because Sam played her in SG1's 200 Farscape spoof. I didn't ruin much for me, because there was only a few minutes where we were supposed to believe that she was bad and that she'd killed the blue guy (which is actually left ambiguous). She looks to be an interesting character.

Lucius Malfoy Durka is a creepy villain, calm and intelligent. I hope to see more of him. He's not dead so it's possible. Rygel has once again proven his awesomeness

A Human Reaction

Another really good episode. Again, as a Stargate fan I couldn't help but notice the similarity to SGA's "Home". While A Hundred Days and Jeremiah Crichton merely shared a plot premise, these two seem to share a plot outline: Looks like they found a way home---go home---notice things are wrong----find out they're actually being deceived by Aliens. The only thing different was how the characters/world interacted/reacted with the situation.

I was fooled for the longest time about it not being real Earth. I knew Rygel probably hadn't died, but I thought they'd just sow him back up and he'd be fine.... Though I was a bit confused on how they would get Rygel and D'Argo back, find the transport and go back to Moya... It was around here that I started to twig.

So Aeryn (she was the real Aeryn wasn't she), and John.... ahem... Are they "official" yet?

At the very start we saw Chana being non-conformist. I find that kind of attitude ("I'm an individual, I should break the rules for the sake of it") very annoying, I hope she matures a bit throughout the series.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post

At the very start we saw Chana being non-conformist. I find that kind of attitude ("I'm an individual, I should break the rules for the sake of it") very annoying, I hope she matures a bit throughout the series.
      Chana is one character I cannot stand. I'd say more, but you're not far into the series yet, but she is one character I never grew to like or enjoy on the show.
      Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Through the Looking Glass

I actually watched this one weeks ago, but I held off because I didn't have much to say and I thought at the time that I'd be watching more soon. But now I have and I've finished the season.

Not much to say here. It wasn't good, wasn't bad. Cool sci-fi concept, but that's about it. The ending was quite cheesy

A Bug's Life
        This was quite good. Nice action. Sentient virus is a nice idea. The peacekeeper black ops were cool. Why did John bother with an "english" accent? I know it's supposed to make you sound "proper" but can the translator microbes even pick that up? He didn't sound right anyway, very few Americans can sound convincingly English (Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep are exceptions). Even Claudiayes I know she's Australian doesn't get it quite right ("darta?") though she's quite good.

Nerve
        I liked this one too. Crazy plan, all going swimmingly until Scorpius turned up. He's a very good villian, ruthless and intelligent. Good to see Gilina and Crais again. Nice to see the Ancients did more than just messed with John's brain, though couldn't they have just sent him back home without telling him how... It's interesting now D'Argo actually cares about Aeryn, though he does have a soft spot for female Sebations...

The Hidden Memory
        Again, good episode. Poor Gilina, saw it coming though. She had to die out of necessity, she couldn't stay on the base they would have found her out eventually, and she couldn't stay on the ship because she'd be in the way of Aeryn and John. I dunno if I should feel sorry for Crais or not, he is a bit of a Jackass. The person Daniel played in 200 also joined the team, though he mysteriously disappears in the next 2 episodes.

Bone to be Wild
        Not as good as the last couple, but still ok. The bone lady was creepy, but now isn't she just gonna be sent out the air lock when the peacekeepers find out who she really is. Crais is still having a hard time, but again it's hard to feel sorry for him because he's been such a jackass.

Family Ties
        Good finale. It felt a bit too "finale-ish", ie everything had an "ending feel", which I found a bit annoying because I know there's more seasons. Rygel betrays them right at the start, seems like a Rygel thing to do but Scorpius says that he was lying when he said betraying the crew was his reason for being there - I wonder what the real reason is.

I don't understand why they didn't keep Crais locked up, that would stop him from doing something stupid like flying off with Moya's baby, though he did come up with a good strategy. Nice to see him become a bit less crazy, though I liked crazy Crais

Good cliff-hanger, though it'll be a while before I see it resolved.

Season 1 as a whole

I liked it, though the episodes ranged between mediocre and excellent. It'd be nice to see more consistency, but I suppose no show is going to be perfect every episode and it was their first season. I'd say my favourite episodes are: PK Tech Girl, That Old Black Magic, Durka Returns, A Human Reaction and Nerve/The Hidden Memory. I'm not sure I could make a list of my least favourite episodes, I found a few underwhelming but I don't remember them much for that reason. I would say I didn't like the Pilot that much for the reason that I felt thrust into the Farscape Universe a too quickly and therefore I was lost for a lot of it. It'd be interesting going back now I'm more used to the Universe.

I'll definitely pick up season 2 at some point, but it won't be for a while because I have a busy few months coming up and I don't want to give myself any more distractions.
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Glad you enjoyed season one. IMO season 2 is even better, with fewer weak episodes. I found Chiana really annoying to start with. Luckily she dropped that weird inflection of hers that made every sentence sound like a question as time went on.

The "bone lady" was played by Ben Browder's wife, who turns up again as other alien characters. All of them argue with Crichton a lot.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X