So let's try to figure out how SGU would have gone on to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So let's try to figure out how SGU would have gone on to do

So let's try to figure out what would have happened in SGU through seasons 3-the end, had the show continued. Not flights of fancy on what we *wish* had happened, but what seemed to be foreshadowed.

Here's what I've got:

1) Eli would have ascended
    2) Eli's and Rush's cyber-girlfriends would have returned in some form
    3) The drone fleet would have been defeated
    4) The attacking aliens would finally have explained themselves, and become allies of the Destiny.
    5) Scott and Chloe would have gotten married and pregnant, but probably wouldn't have had a kid before the show ended.
    6) The Lucien plot would have been resolved
    7) Some *other* alien threat would have emerged that both the Blues and Destiny would need to work against.
    8) They get the final message from God or Whatever
    9) They don't make it home again
    10) They start a new civilization on the fringes of the universe. Possibly with Chloe's kid as the first birth.

Given the repeated implication that Destiny only works when Young, Rush, and Wray work together, I suspect the completion of the mission would resolve around Destiny, Lucien, and Blues working together.

My hunch is the aliens are attacking Destiny because it was in some way responsible for the destruction of their homeworld. I assume the only Blues that exist live in a fleet, and have for quite some time, seeking revenge.

I *wonder* if they actually would have made it out of the galaxy they were in by the end of the series. Dialog in the finale implies they were anticipating 3 more years to cross it, which might be a throwaway line, or it might be a hint about what we're missing.

I also wonder if they actually would have gone *out* of the universe itself.

Which brings us to the 'message from creation.' Given the frequent religious aspect of the show, and blurring the line between science and faith, obviously, it's *got* to be some kind of religious message. But of course speculating too much on what God might say in a postcard is going to irritate both the religious viewers *AND* the atheist ones (See: The ending of Battlestar Galactica), so you can't really go too far with that one. You can't really turn 'The Message from God" into a bully-pulpit for your own views, and Wright and Mallozi are smart enough to know this, so it's got to be something upbeat and nebulous. Again, my *hunch* is that it would have been something like "I'm have been waiting for you on the other side of this line. Come to Me and Know." Then some of 'em (Rush definitely) cross over, while the rest set up camp on the edge of space and start civilization over again.

Eli might use his ascended powers to take one or two of 'em home again, I suppose, but I really don't think they were getting back. "It was never about going home, it was about getting where we're going." Also seems like the trip was more important than the destination, which suggests THe Message would be something of an anticlimax, and the 'step behind the curtain' thing would seem to fit.

Something I really wonder about is *why* this series took place in one year, rather than in more-or-less real time like all the other series.

So that's what I'm thinking. Anyone else got any ideas? Guesses? Theories?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

I've been working towards a conclusion, based on what was foreshadowed in the show with the SGU Virtual Season 3, published at http://www.philotic.com/stargate, as 'scripts' for actual 'episodes'

Some of what you guess is close to the mark too

1. Not quite
    2. Yep
    3. Yep.
    4. We'd find out what they want and why, but they wouldn't necessarily become allies.
    5. Maybe
    6. Expanded and resolved.
    7. Lots of other alien threats that all come together with the resolution of why Destiny is doing what it's doing, and why it's called 'Destiny'
    8. They will understand the patterns in the CMBR. Might not be a message from 'God' though
    9. Maybe some will
    10. DOn't think so.

You left out one huge question -- who are the 'planet builders' and why were we introduced to them.

With regards to the CMBR, there's an explanation that exists within the realm of physics and meta-physics that I'm working towards. It's not necessarily religious, though the meta-aspect would make some believe it to be so.

Check out the scripts at http://www.philotic.com/stargate.

Laurence

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
    So let's try to figure out what would have happened in SGU through seasons 3-the end, had the show continued. Not flights of fancy on what we *wish* had happened, but what seemed to be foreshadowed.

Here's what I've got:

4) The attacking aliens would finally have explained themselves, and become allies of the Destiny.
    5) Scott and Chloe would have gotten married and pregnant, but probably wouldn't have had a kid before the show ended.
    7) Some *other* alien threat would have emerged that both the Blues and Destiny would need to work against.
    10) They start a new civilization on the fringes of the universe. Possibly with Chloe's kid as the first birth.

Given the repeated implication that Destiny only works when Young, Rush, and Wray work together, I suspect the completion of the mission would resolve around Destiny, Lucien, and Blues working together.

My hunch is the aliens are attacking Destiny because it was in some way responsible for the destruction of their homeworld. I assume the only Blues that exist live in a fleet, and have for quite some time, seeking revenge.

I *wonder* if they actually would have made it out of the galaxy they were in by the end of the series. Dialog in the finale implies they were anticipating 3 more years to cross it, which might be a throwaway line, or it might be a hint about what we're missing.

I also wonder if they actually would have gone *out* of the universe itself.

Which brings us to the 'message from creation.' Given the frequent religious aspect of the show, and blurring the line between science and faith, obviously, it's *got* to be some kind of religious message. But of course speculating too much on what God might say in a postcard is going to irritate both the religious viewers *AND* the atheist ones (See: The ending of Battlestar Galactica), so you can't really go too far with that one. You can't really turn 'The Message from God" into a bully-pulpit for your own views, and Wright and Mallozi are smart enough to know this, so it's got to be something upbeat and nebulous. Again, my *hunch* is that it would have been something like "I'm have been waiting for you on the other side of this line. Come to Me and Know." Then some of 'em (Rush definitely) cross over, while the rest set up camp on the edge of space and start civilization over again.

Eli might use his ascended powers to take one or two of 'em home again, I suppose, but I really don't think they were getting back. "It was never about going home, it was about getting where we're going." Also seems like the trip was more important than the destination, which suggests THe Message would be something of an anticlimax, and the 'step behind the curtain' thing would seem to fit.

Something I really wonder about is *why* this series took place in one year, rather than in more-or-less real time like all the other series.

So that's what I'm thinking. Anyone else got any ideas? Guesses? Theories?
    Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

That seemed to be a pretty clear line, repeated in a few places. It was the reason for the stasis, rather than just living out the inter-galactic void on minimum rations (c.f. Pegasus / Milky Way, which takes c. 3 weeks, albeit with a more modern FTL). There were only three ways to go with it: a) find some way to speed up Destiny, b) some way to shorten the gap, c) jump the story forward three years. Or, d), find a way to completely defeat the drones - but that would still inevitably require the long jump at some point. I'm also not sure I saw any plot points towards Ascension for any of the crew. Eli had barely worked out he was his own man, and not in Rush's shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
        I've been working towards a conclusion, based on what was foreshadowed in the show with the SGU Virtual Season 3, published at http://www.philotic.com/stargate, as 'scripts' for actual 'episodes'

Some of what you guess is close to the mark too

1. Not quite
        2. Yep
        3. Yep.
        4. We'd find out what they want and why, but they wouldn't necessarily become allies.
        5. Maybe
        6. Expanded and resolved.
        7. Lots of other alien threats that all come together with the resolution of why Destiny is doing what it's doing, and why it's called 'Destiny'
        8. They will understand the patterns in the CMBR. Might not be a message from 'God' though
        9. Maybe some will
        10. DOn't think so.

You left out one huge question -- who are the 'planet builders' and why were we introduced to them.

With regards to the CMBR, there's an explanation that exists within the realm of physics and meta-physics that I'm working towards. It's not necessarily religious, though the meta-aspect would make some believe it to be so.

Check out the scripts at http://www.philotic.com/stargate.

Laurence
        Wow, thanks. Just to be clear: are these 'scripts' based on treatments or comments by the producers on what a third season may have been like, or are they just stuff people have made up?
        Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
          That seemed to be a pretty clear line, repeated in a few places. It was the reason for the stasis, rather than just living out the inter-galactic void on minimum rations (c.f. Pegasus / Milky Way, which takes c. 3 weeks, albeit with a more modern FTL). There were only three ways to go with it: a) find some way to speed up Destiny, b) some way to shorten the gap, c) jump the story forward three years. Or, d), find a way to completely defeat the drones - but that would still inevitably require the long jump at some point. I'm also not sure I saw any plot points towards Ascension for any of the crew. Eli had barely worked out he was his own man, and not in Rush's shadow.
          Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he was saying it would take them 3 more years to cross the galaxy they were in if they hadn't hopped out to the side.

As to Eli, it started out with him playing video games, but he became less and less of a kid as the show progressed, and it ended with him stepping up. I think in a very real way, the story of SGU was the story of Eli growing up into more than he was. Also, "Eli" is a Hebrew name meaning "Ascend."

See what you miss not going to Sunday School? <G>
          Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

If Wright and the other writers despite everything would have gone down this road, Eli is not the one who would have gone that way, either Rush or someone unexpected would have.

With that said and having in mind what Wright said before the series startet, they would not even have use it once, remember he said it would be a Voyager/BSG/SG show just alot darker.

Possibly but not likely remembering their previous ways, this arc is almost certainly dead.

Never, if SGU had gone on to Season 3 we would have had them show in some way the entire season and again if there was a 4,5,6.

The drones are Wrights Cylons and Voyagers Kazons.

Perhaps, again i think they would have died off in season 3 never to show again.

I dont think your right about this, Chloe just got into a new role as this "alien-controlled" person who might have been cured.

Scott would always be on the limb about this and knowing the writers, they would have used it.

Nope, not completely , The luciens are a way of keeping a line to earth and that SG.

Of course, its like saying that SGU would have stopped being SGU if that happen, though not with Blues as allies.

Never, thats a showstopper and Wright is to clever to do that.

That would have been a possibility but highly unlikely, i am sure if SGU had gone into season 5 and so on they would have eventually made it home

Nope, they would get home and Chloe would not get a kid.

Comment

I'm already exploring this in my fanfic here so I won't say any of the ideas I personally have, but I personally think TPTB would have ended it with the crew returning home. That's just the kind of ending they'd want, happy and complete.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
                If Wright and the other writers despite everything would have gone down this road, Eli is not the one who would have gone that way, either Rush or someone unexpected would have.

With that said and having in mind what Wright said before the series startet, they would not even have use it once, remember he said it would be a Voyager/BSG/SG show just alot darker.

Possibly but not likely remembering their previous ways, this arc is almost certainly dead.

Never, if SGU had gone on to Season 3 we would have had them show in some way the entire season and again if there was a 4,5,6.

The drones are Wrights Cylons and Voyagers Kazons.

Perhaps, again i think they would have died off in season 3 never to show again.

I dont think your right about this, Chloe just got into a new role as this "alien-controlled" person who might have been cured.

Scott would always be on the limb about this and knowing the writers, they would have used it.

Nope, not completely , The luciens are a way of keeping a line to earth and that SG.

Of course, its like saying that SGU would have stopped being SGU if that happen, though not with Blues as allies.

Never, thats a showstopper and Wright is to clever to do that.

That would have been a possibility but highly unlikely, i am sure if SGU had gone into season 5 and so on they would have eventually made it home

Nope, they would get home and Chloe would not get a kid.
                You're aware I didn't mean all this stuff would have happened in season 3, right? It would have been portioned out over the next 60 episodes or two.

The "Message from God" would obviously have been in the series finale, etc.

Basically you're saying that every dangling thread in the series as of episode 40 would remain a dangling thread even after episode 100. That seems unlikely.
                Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  I'm already exploring this in my fanfic here so I won't say any of the ideas I personally have, but I personally think TPTB would have ended it with the crew returning home. That's just the kind of ending they'd want, happy and complete.
                  The reason I think otherwise is simply that the show doesn't appear to be about happy endings. They killed TJ's kid, they killed Rush and Eli's girlfriends. Twice. I think the closest they were gonna' get to a 'happy ending' was the episode where they met their kinda'descendants.

My hunch (Based on very little) is that rather than 'happy' ending, it would have been an 'optomistic' ending. They complete the mission, but don't make it home. Heck, perhaps the nature of the message is that they *can't* risk taking it home. Instead, we see the birth of a new civilization on the edge of the universe that straddles the line between reason and faith, becoming the next stage of evolution, or some such hoo-hah.
                  Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

You're aware I didn't mean all this stuff would have happened in season 3, right? It would have been portioned out over the next 60 episodes or two.

The "Message from God" would obviously have been in the series finale, etc.

Basically you're saying that every dangling thread in the series as of episode 40 would remain a dangling thread even after episode 100. That seems unlikely.
                    Of course i know you meant over the entire series lenght and i still hold on to what i have said.

Also i hope your aware that i didn´t mean a showstopper like in a final epsiode by the writers choice, but by the ratings going so low that it would have killed the show in a heart-beat.

Message from god if that was the idea Wright had would have been a bad choice, the best way is to keep people guessing and making their own decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
                      Of course i know you meant over the entire series lenght and i still hold on to what i have said.

Also i hope your aware that i didn´t mean a showstopper like in a final epsiode by the writers choice, but by the ratings going so low that it would have killed the show in a heart-beat.

Message from god if that was the idea Wright had would have been a bad choice, the best way is to keep people guessing and making their own decision.
                      If you want to keep people guessing and making their own decision, you simply hint that there's something going on and say nothing about it. Take, for instance, every time the Big Bang shows up in DC Comics. Been doing it since, what, 1962, but they never cross that line, never actually call it what it is.

Conversely, saying "I've got a message from God" and stringing people along with it for 4 or 5 years, and *THEN* saying 'you don't get to hear it' is a pretty insulting slap at the audience. Likewise, making the message stupid is an equally bad slap. Both of those are "The Battlestar Galactica Syndrome"
                      Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Conversely, saying "I've got a message from God" and stringing people along with it for 4 or 5 years, and *THEN* saying 'you don't get to hear it' is a pretty insulting slap at the audience. Likewise, making the message stupid is an equally bad slap. Both of those are "The Battlestar Galactica Syndrome"
                        It's a similar situation in Doctor Who now. For a couple of seasons the issue of the Doctor's real name has popped up. However, I suspect most fans don't want to know it as it would remove the cachet of the character (even if it would be interesting to know). So his name is now the elephant in the room, like the "message from God". To tell or not to tell, as Shakespeare nearly said, that is the question. Same as the Doctor's name: any message they devised would be so inane, given the scope of the concept used to send it that I would be loathe to hear it.

"Thank you for purchasing the Acme Universe-in-a-bottle Mk 43. We hope you enjoy many aeons of happy reality. For health and safety purposes we advise you read the associated user manual before initiating your universe. Matter/anti-matter is not included. No user-serviceable parts. Please read the EULA before opening."

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                          It's a similar situation in Doctor Who now. For a couple of seasons the issue of the Doctor's real name has popped up. However, I suspect most fans don't want to know it as it would remove the cachet of the character (even if it would be interesting to know). So his name is now the elephant in the room, like the "message from God". To tell or not to tell, as Shakespeare nearly said, that is the question. Same as the Doctor's name: any message they devised would be so inane, given the scope of the concept used to send it that I would be loathe to hear it.

"Thank you for purchasing the Acme Universe-in-a-bottle Mk 43. We hope you enjoy many aeons of happy reality. For health and safety purposes we advise you read the associated user manual before initiating your universe. Matter/anti-matter is not included. No user-serviceable parts. Please read the EULA before opening."
                          No doubt. At the same time, after 50 years, the temptation to finally explore the Doctor's backstory has to be pretty great. They'd actually intended to get into it in the 1990 season of Who, but it was cancelled in '89. That's probably lucky. The backstory they thought up for him in the American version was even worse.
                          Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Working...
                          X