Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the US Declaration of Independence illegal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The American Case:
    The Declaration is unquestionably "legal". Under basic principles of "Natural Law", government can only be by the consent of the people and there comes a point when allegiance is no longer required in face of tyranny.

The legality of the Declaration and its validity is proven by subsequent independence movements which have been enforced by world opinion as right and just, based on the fundamental principles of equality and self-determination now reflected in the UN Charter.

The British Case:
    The Declaration of Independence was not only illegal, but actually treasonable. There is no legal principle then or now to allow a group of citizens to establish their own laws because they want to. What if Texas decided today it wanted to secede from the Union?

Lincoln made the case against secession and he was right. The Declaration of Independence itself, in the absence of any recognised legal basis, had to appeal to "natural law", an undefined concept, and to "self-evident truths", that is to say truths for which no evidence could be provided.

The grievances listed in the Declaration were too trivial to justify secession. The main one - no taxation without representation - was no more than a wish on the part of the colonists, to avoid paying for the expense of protecting them against the French during seven years of arduous war and conflict.

(Source: BBC news)

Note for Americans: don't take this too seriously!
    sigpic
    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

I find it bizarre that someone would try to judge an 1776 event by today's legal standards.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      I find it bizarre that someone would try to judge an 1776 event by today's legal standards.
      You're not to take it seriously!
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

it was

Comment

It was but it won't be for long.
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

Strictly speaking, it was an insurgency. And therefore illegal.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Your right. Tax our Tea.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Strictly speaking, it was an insurgency. And therefore illegal.
                an insurgency against known tyrants.....and people have the natural right to seek a life free of oppressive tyranny

Comment

Not in a court of law they don't.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

wanna bet? if the law of the land is inherently unfair or unjust....expect rebellion

people refuse to live in slavery....once we realized that we were no more than slaves to the British we naturally rebelled

so basically the British version implies no right to rebel against tyranny which comes as no surprise....oppressive tyrants naturally will balk when their power is challenged.....which would mean then that the blacks were wrong to seek freedom from slavery and oppression too

Comment

oppressive tyrants can and do make rebellion illegal...doesn't mean it won't happen anyway.....I'd love to see Britain try to arrest us all now...chances are they'd all be sent back in body bags

Comment

Dude, read the part about not taking it too seriously....
                        sigpic

Comment

Actually, slavery was abolished more quickly among the British and the Colonies than in the US. "All men are created equal...well, you know what we mean. "
                          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                            Dude, read the part about not taking it too seriously....
                            Read the sig, then you'll get why he's taking the interwebz as srs biznes.
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

At the time, yes, it was undoubtedly illegal, but whether or not it's legal or illegal holds no larger importance today. The United States is obviously an independent state and Britain has neither the ability nor the will to "bring them back into the fold" sort of speak, so in the end it's all a discussion which won't lead to anything of consequence.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X