Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helen vs Ashley/Kate: Is 1 action heroine enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helen vs Ashley/Kate: Is 1 action heroine enough?

Note: This is a re-posting from yesterday, due to terrible formatting ... Moderator, please replace my old post with this new text if possible.

Season 1 had Ashley's hip holster, Tomb Raider vibe and speaking as a guy, she upped the sex appeal of the show. Staying away from producer politics, it seemed that Ashley represented onscreen competition to Helen Magnus - that is "young sexy action chick" vs "mature sexy action woman". As a guy, I appreciate both characters, but Ashley's presence did detract from Helen's ability to be an action heroine: Ashley was impulsive, jump-in first brawn, to Helen's controlled, scientific brain. At least, that's how it seems to me.

With Kate Freelander in Seasons 2 & 3, we have a kind of Ashley the outsider character. Not a daughter, but like one, with some of the Ashley action hero vibe remaining. Season's 3's cover art even depicts an action-like pose for Kate. Now in Season 4, the Itunes cover art shows Helen surrounded by Will, Druitt and Henry, and Kate I understand is now a recurring character. Did Kate's appeal detract from Helen, just like Ashley? I would like to see Helen more in her mentoring or coaching role, and less as the action hero. Having an Ashley or Kate be part of the muscle to Helen's mind, adds a lot of fun and sex appeal to the show (which, in all fairness, is part of what attracts viewers alongside cgi, humor and storytelling).

Disclaimer: I'm new to this forum, and this is an observation that reflects the kind of show I'd like. It just seems uncanny that Ashley and Kate, 2 young female characters that could be said to complement or compete with Helen, were dropped or demoted from the show.

Thanks,

Dean

I haven't watched the show in a long time, I've gotta get caught up. The last episode I saw was the Season 2 finale "Kali, Parts 1&2." Kate's no longer a regular? Darn, she was growing on me by the end of the second season. At least she's still part of the show. Did she get replaced?

Comment

She's still in season 3, but gets reassigned in season four. So far no replacement.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

How many fourth season episodes will she appear in? Has she been written out or just given a smaller role?

Comment

Smaller role and four episodes, I heard (although she supposedly had a role in the fourth or fifth episode but she wasn't there, probably cut).
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Is it four episodes in a row (effectively, a departure), or four episodes scattered across the season?

Comment

Scattered I believe, that's why I said Kate was reassigned.
              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

When Kate joined the cast I didn't like her at all. I thought she was boring and girlish. But then her role was developed and I grew attached to her. Every now and then, they would show us the soft and touching part of her personality, the one she's been obliged to hide because of her past.

I think she brought vitality to the show. I liked the fact that Helen was not the only woman, and Kate was more insouciant than Helen.

I miss her, I really do. And if there's a fifth season, I do hope she'll return...
                sigpic

Comment

I'm glad she's gone; didn't like her from the beginning as she was waaaaaaaaaaaay to stereotype and though chick who really isn't this tough but acts like she is because she's really vulnerable and had a sad childhood, blah blah. Never warmed up to her, so I don't miss her. Plus, now that she's gone, we get to see more of Henry and him teaming up with Magnus which is awesome (especially if Will stays away, because if he and Will are together they degenerate to teenage boys and it was much the same with Kate - they were the gang and Magnus their tough boss).
                  On FFnet or AO3

Comment

The way Kate was incorporated into the Sanctuary was really off putting, which I think was the writers intention. She's introduced as an ally of the Cabal, then she's kicked to the curb and suddenly Helen, who's devastated by the loss of her only child, is letting her stay around and become a part of the team. Kate literally took over Ashley's role within a few episodes. I still don't understand why Helen let her stay on. That said, ever since the episode with Kate and Biggie watching the paranormal show I've come to like her character. I think the show would have been able to have all three heroines as each have different personalities and brought different skills to the table. Cost probably has the most to do with how many heroines the show can have on going.

Comment

Kate's not an action hero. She talks all though and angry at the world but AD obviously cant do fight scenes and spot the double (in the few she had) was just too painful. Luckly she didnt have many and now she's gone for most of the season. More Henry

Comment

By the end of the last season Kate was no longer as angry at the world as she was in past seasons. But after the episode in which Magnus goes to Africa and nearly singlehandedly dispatched all of the Abnormal thieves there shows that she is totally bad ass and given the fact that she is hundreds of years old means she has virtually no equal other than those other scientists that along with her prolonged their lives one way or another.

But I have nothing against Kate and I do hope she comes back next season as a regular.
                        The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

I just watched the re-run of End of Nights 1&2 and I realized that even after 4 seasons, I am still miffed about Ashley being removed from the show. I kept waiting for Kate to grow on me and she never did. I thought her character was uninteresting and I found her acting a bit wooden. I liked the difference in Magnus and Ashley's character, the brains versus brawn. I thought it was a good contrast. The show changed so much from season 1 to season 4 and the last season seemed a bit too political. I liked to see more abnormal's introduced and more source blood characters (Tesla especially, he is so much fun to watch). I love Henry and think he is definately underused. The addition of romantic interests for Will and Henry was a mistake, the episodes were a bit boring and formulaic.
                          What I really want to know, is will there be a season 5 and if so, will I want to watch it?

Comment

Working...
                          X