Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Two Chrichtons: Cheesy ploy, or masterpiece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that this arc really defined what separated Farscape from a lot of other Sci-fi in the sense that the clone was not immediately and conveniently killed via the plot in the same episode he was created. That would have been the easy "self contained episode" reset that would occur 99% of the time in a situation like this.

Either he dies before the episode is over, starts to melt later, turns evil or somehow becomes easily distinguishable from the "real" Crichton.

Instead he survives and they actually have the characters have to deal with that. They never even tell you which one is the "real" original Crichton but rather imply that there isn't one at all because of how the twinning process works.

The audience doesn't get any hand holding to tell them which one to stay invested in and which one's just the copy.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I!also!like!to!have!mid!sentence!seizures

The twinning thing was a stroke of genius. Unlike every other duplicate-character story done in science fiction, they didn't cop out and kill one of them off by the end of the episode. They played it out, and they played it out masterfully.
      ^This. I was amazed they didn't kill one at the end of the episode, or even moreso not kill one in the episode that followed where one got severely injured (that one ended up being the one to inevitably live). I was reminded of this sort of non-typical-ness when BSG kept a second battlestar around for 14 episodes.

I think the whole point was "He's Crichton. He doesn't just die". I cant imagine how different a season or two of SG-1 had played out had they done something like that and keep a twin in the episodes where that option presented itself.
      Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

I really liked the two Chrichton's, sometimes it got a little confusing but it played out well, the holo scene was great.
        sigpic

"I am worth far more to you than you will admit."

Comment

Originally Posted by rushy
          Well.
          A-It's Crichton, not Chriton.
          Really?? No need for the spelling police ... you know who it is.
          sigpic

"I am worth far more to you than you will admit."

Comment

There can never be too many Crichtons.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tmoore4261 View Post
              Really?? No need for the spelling police ... you know who it is.
              Seems like a new Farscaper has joined Gateworld. Hi, Gateworld's super, so don't do like 40% people who just never come back.
              Anyway, in SG-1, I think they should've allowed the robot Jack stick around. Or use a plot arc like this. TWO Jack O'Neills would've been perhaps even more priceless.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The only thing I did not like about the twin arc was the whinny moppy Aeryn that appeared when Moya and Talyn reunitied
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  The only thing I did not like about the twin arc was the whinny moppy Aeryn that appeared when Moya and Talyn reunitied
                  I started to hate Aeryn and her "I simply can't love ya even if you're Crichton because you're not the same and I don't want you to die...". Aeryn ruined so many episodes because she can't accept that the guy who died was Crichton and the other Crichton just is missing a couple months of memory.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I loved the two Crichton story lines and thought it it worked out really well. Just watched the episode where Taylon Crichton dies - cast did a fantastic job with that. Looking forward to seeing what will happen when they reunite.

Because one wasn't a clone or anything of the sort, the show managed to handle the two of them extremely well and both developed in two different ways almost like alternative realities. I did notice that the Crichton on Moya was more obsessed with Wormwholes and less patient with his crew members, less likely to listen to reason. While Taylon Crichton was calmer and more focused.

All in all love the arc
                    Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

I was not offended or put off by the double Crichtons (sp?). I thought it was interesting and different. I thought they handled it well indeed.
                      - The Truth is Out There!

Comment

I loved the Two Crightens, I ignore the fact that one of them a clone because they are essentially the same person. Tayln Crighten's death was beautiful , handled in such a poetic way, and it was all the sad to see it though because you could see the love between Aeryn and John was so very real and the fact that he made the ultimate sacrifice in order to save his friends and whatever else, just really shows how different we see John from season to now at this point.

I noticed that too, Moya-John obsessed with the wormholes then Tayln-John, but it brought so much though into the episodes, with the tension with D'argo, Pilot, Jool and Chiana. I think that obsession for that worm hole and to get home drives him in a way that it hasn't driven the others.

Aeryn ruined so many episodes because she can't accept that the guy who died was Crichton and the other Crichton just is missing a couple months of memory.
                        I'm confused by this. In the episodes that preceeded them to join Tayln wasn't he the clone that followed her? Nonetheless, though the relationship was very real and I just loved the fact they full steamed ahead with the relationship.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darkland View Post
                          II'm confused by this. In the episodes that preceeded them to join Tayln wasn't he the clone that followed her? Nonetheless, though the relationship was very real and I just loved the fact they full steamed ahead with the relationship.
                          He is talking about after Talyn Cricheton died and how Aeryn shuts out Moya Circheton because of the experence of losing the other Cricheton. It annoyed me as well. I find John and Aeryn while done great was overused at times.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I hope to add my opinion into that particular aspect of the relationship when I finish watching the series. Seems to me a great deal of tension between them will occur (which is not suprisingly).

I wonder if she knew deep down though that she was allowing herself to fall in love with Crighten because wanted to believe that there no clone....? Just a thought.
                            sigpic

Comment

At first the two Crichtons episodes really irritated me, but as I watched and re-watched the series, it grew on me, and I could understand the plot twist and complexity that the writers were portraying. As has been said on several occasions in the past, by various sources, Farscape is one of the few if only series to allow a long time relationship to form between the main characters without bring the chemistry/series to a halt.

Actually the two Crichtons episode, allowed the writers to create disparate story lines that allowed Crichton to expand his relationship with Aeryn while doing the same with those who were left on Moya.

Gosh, if only we could get some more Farscape

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGriff View Post
                                At first the two Crichtons episodes really irritated me, but as I watched and re-watched the series, it grew on me, and I could understand the plot twist and complexity that the writers were portraying. As has been said on several occasions in the past, by various sources, Farscape is one of the few if only series to allow a long time relationship to form between the main characters without bring the chemistry/series to a halt.

Actually the two Crichtons episode, allowed the writers to create disparate story lines that allowed Crichton to expand his relationship with Aeryn while doing the same with those who were left on Moya.

Gosh, if only we could get some more Farscape
                                With more Farscape, the world would be a better place IMO.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X