Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Changes ? - Helen Magnus and Ashley/Kate (spoilers 4th season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Changes ? - Helen Magnus and Ashley/Kate (spoilers 4th season)

Hi there,

Season 1 had Ashley's hip holster, Tomb Raider vibe and speaking as a guy, she upped the sex appeal
    of the show. Staying away from producer politics, it seemed that Ashley represented onscreen competition
    to Helen Magnus - that is "young sexy action chick" vs "mature sexy action woman". As a guy, I appreciate
    both characters, but Ashley's presence did detract from Helen's ability to be an action heroine: Ashley was
    impulsive, jump-in first brawn, to Helen's controlled, scientific brain. At least, that's how it seems
    to me.

With Kate Freelander in Seasons 2 & 3, we have a kind of Ashley the outsider character. Not a daughter, but
    like one, with some of the Ashley action hero vibe remaining. Season's 3's cover art even depicts an action-like pose for Kate. Now in Season 4, the Itunes cover art shows Helen surrounded by Will, Druitt and Henry, and Kate I understand is now a recurring character. Did Kate's appeal detract from Helen, just like Ashley? I would like to see Helen more in her mentoring or coaching role, and less as the action hero. Having an Ashley or Kate be part of the muscle to Helen's mind, adds a lot of fun and sex appeal to the show (which, in all fairness, is part of what attracts viewers alongside cgi, humor and storytelling).

Disclaimer: I'm new to this forum, and this is an observation that reflects the kind of show I'd like. It just seems uncanny that Ashley and Kate, 2 young female characters that could be said to complement or compete with Helen, were dropped or demoted from the show.

Thanks,

Dean

Well Kate upstaging Magnus action wise is impossible. She was never a kick ass character. She was sort off pissed off at the world attitude. Her fight scenes, the few she has, are really bad. Spot the stunt!
    Plus we were given a reason by the actress herself. Scheduale. Unless they backtrack like they did with EU, but this time the explanation came from the actress involved.

To me there's no danger of any character outshining Magnus. She's the best charater. And the only ones that even come near her are Druitt, Tesla and Watson.

Comment

Maybe it´s just me, but I like the fact that Helen is the action hero and that Kate is or will be more in the background.

Comment

i think that ashley was the kick ass version but more modern then helen.

i agree about kate having a hating the world kind of attitude. she definitely has grown on me after two seasons, and its sad to see her go down to recurring character. but as kes said it seems to be the actresses choice.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X