Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Default Re: Within the Serpent's Grasp (121)

Probably 99.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Starfalcon
    I still not have seen all episodes but I think about 80 % of the show.
    And I compared it to some other very popular episodes like Lost City or Avalon.
    The reasons why I love "Within the serpent`s Grasp and Serpents Lair are
    - great team feel (which I missed in other "big" episodes (especially in Lost City)
    - the enemies came over as real tread to earth ( not as on many later episodes when the enemies were almost parodies of themself)
    - the show still captured to this time still some of the ancient egypt feeling of the movie anstead going for the generic pseudo Star Trek and pseudo Farscape stuff of the new seasons (I mean season 7 onwards)
    - and the humour wasn`t so much over the top as now
    And I stay to my opinion: This episodes had made a great movie!
    But now you have made me curious. What are the reasons why you don`t seem to like this episodes very much and which one do you think were better?
    And how many has YOU seen?
    I think some people are comparing these episodes to later ones in terms of special effects/visual effects. True enough, the blowing up of 2 motherships is cool, but not compared to, say, Lost City pt 2 or the fight in Heroes pt 2. Also, compared to later episodes, the threat didn't seem so big. Apophis's 2 motherships versus how many of Anubis's at the end of S7.
    That being said, I agree with you. It was a good "team" episode. It had the right amount of humor, perfectly timed, good bantering, a good story. As to the size of the threat, 2 motherships against a world that had no way to defend themselves is a huge threat. Later seasons, they had some new alien technology and Earth technology based on alien technology to defend themselves. Looking at the special effects alone is not really the best way to make a Stargate comparison, IMO.
    I really enjoyed these two episodes. And I have seen every episode of Stargate SG-1, and excluding S9 (some I have seen once, some twice), I have seen every episode of S1-8 several times at least.

Your right it is hard to compare the missions from 8 years ago, nearly impossible we have come along way since then.

yeah it is your right

Chief Master Sergeant Harlan's Speechwriter's Avatar

As a newbie I may have missed something here, but how did Skaara come to be Apothis's son? Didn't he go off with another couple (ie not Apothis and Sha're) at the end of Children of the Gods?

I loved this episode though.
    Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Major General

Most believe that 'other family' were the ones responsible to raise and care for Apophis's son, that way if someone attacked apophis directly they would not also get his son in the blasting..

Staff Sergeant

Alright, I zipped through Season 1 with my Netflix subscription, but I'm still waiting for the Season 2 DVDs to arrive. According to Netflix there is a "Long Wait" and "Very Long Wait" for the first two Season 2 discs, which includes "The Serpent's Lair". I can only surmise that Season 2 is quite a bit more popular than Season 1!

Chief Master Sergeant HelloVelo's Avatar

Classic Stargate. Action, adventure, humor, and a cliffhanger ending.

Rating: 9/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...nts-grasp.html
    My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
    http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Arrow2 Re: Within the Serpent's Grasp (121)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertF View Post
    Alright, I zipped through Season 1 with my Netflix subscription, but I'm still waiting for the Season 2 DVDs to arrive. According to Netflix there is a "Long Wait" and "Very Long Wait" for the first two Season 2 discs, which includes "The Serpent's Lair". I can only surmise that Season 2 is quite a bit more popular than Season 1!
    I wouldn't say that, I don't think the second is any more popular than the first. As a matter of fact I would think that more people start the series than finish the entire thing. So a lot of people would be watching the first season and not going through with the rest. However, it could be explained by people purchasing the first season not liking it enough to buy the second so they rent off of Netflix. To tell you the truth it is probably just a coincidence.

(On A More Relevant Note)

I feel that all of the C4 and secondary explosions they had going for them wouldn't have taken out that entire ship. I would think it would disable the ship make it unable to fly, but that thing exploded like it was lined with explosive material. It would have to be in order to take out the second ship with it.

I just didn't buy that part of the episode, however, I really liked the rest of it.

Second Lieutenant

Argh! Cliffhanger! I hate that...

But, this is a totally exciting episode. Lots of action. Goaulds and Jaffa. Zat guns and Staff weapons. Ships! and Deathgliders. Wow.

I can't wait for my season 2 DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by L E E View Post
    Argh! Cliffhanger! I hate that...

But, this is a totally exciting episode. Lots of action. Goaulds and Jaffa. Zat guns and Staff weapons. Ships! and Deathgliders. Wow.

I can't wait for my season 2 DVDs.
    Actually this was the first episode that they get their hands on Zat guns. The whole first shot stuns, second shot kills, and third shot disintegrates was a little over the edge. I never really bought the entire third shot thing. I don't think the writers did either, because it was only included in like two other episodes.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by captain jake View Post
    Actually this was the first episode that they get their hands on Zat guns.
    I know.

I've just started watching this series and I just finished watching season 1 for the first time today. So everything is fresh and exciting for me. Being a newbie fan is not so bad. I just need to be careful of threads with spoilers.

I love that in this ep, so many new things were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by L E E View Post
    I know.

I've just started watching this series and I just finished watching season 1 for the first time today. So everything is fresh and exciting for me. Being a newbie fan is not so bad. I just need to be careful of threads with spoilers.

I love that in this ep, so many new things were introduced.
    I often wish that I could be a completely new viewer I am re-watching all the episodes from the beginning in preparation for Atlantis season 5 and Stargate continuum. I am currently on season 2 episode 8 Family, this is my third time through watching all of the episodes. But I know what you mean seeing them on a Goa'uld mother ship was really exciting.

Chief Master Sergeant

I always loved this episode and re-watching it again (in order) just makes me realise why I did. Well shot, scripted, acted and lots of new things we learned about the ship and the first time we saw Zat guns (I personally like the 3 shot thing however believe it is or isn't). An awesome cliff-hanger.

I like the SG-1 black ops uniform they went for, remind me of their current uniform. Still looks good on them - looks like Daniel didn't take his glasses/took them off a bit, a little strange.

Interesting how nobody ended up reading the sarcophicus. I mean Daniel didn't even try, they just seemed to forget and move on.

Good to see Skaara/Klorel again, first swear word in Stargate SG-1 (I think in this episode) by Jack and rightfully so I think with his emotions just going into overload.

Had to chuckle when Daniel said "I'll just go tell the pilot that" and Jack's comment "I wonder if it will get Showtime" what so they can watch Stargate themselves.

Our first look at glinders within their housings on the ship, looked cool seeing them old into them.

The best thing about watching the DVD is to be continued... doesn't hold as much suspense when you know you can grab the next DVD and carry on.

Chief Master Sergeant SG1FanOregon's Avatar

Well LEE It's never too late to start & you've just picked the BEST Sci-Fi show in history & this is coming from a person who's been a Star Trek fan since Kirk was on prime time. I still love Star Trek, but SG1 kicks some serious butt. Most everyone has pointed out everything good about this ep already so instead of a rehash, I'll just say that this season closure is fitting for a show we've all come to love.

Quote Originally Posted by SG1FanOregon View Post
    Well LEE It's never too late to start & you've just picked the BEST Sci-Fi show in history & this is coming from a person who's been a Star Trek fan since Kirk was on prime time. I still love Star Trek, but SG1 kicks some serious butt. Most everyone has pointed out everything good about this ep already so instead of a rehash, I'll just say that this season closure is fitting for a show we've all come to love.
    Yes Star Trek watched it ever since I was a kid...SG1 though takes the cake. It is a great show...(loves watching the repeats.) Though it didn't have tribbles in it, though still managed to get into their own hehe troubles...

Chief Master Sergeant SG1FanOregon's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Within the Serpent's Grasp (121)

Quote Originally Posted by ValaDee View Post
    Yes Star Trek watched it ever since I was a kid...SG1 though takes the cake. It is a great show...(loves watching the repeats.) Though it didn't have tribbles in it, though still managed to get into their own hehe troubles...
    Mmmmmm TRIBBLES!!!! Battered, deep fried, & dipped in Ranch. Better than popcorn chicken YUM!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SG1FanOregon View Post
    It doesn't top Doctor Who..........but it's still pretty cool isn't it?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Vala Re: Within the Serpent's Grasp (121)

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    It doesn't top Doctor Who..........but it's still pretty cool isn't it?
    There were only a few ep's of Doctor Who that I liked...I believe SG1 beats it out...just my opinion mind you...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast