Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still struggling with how the term theory works I see. Repeating won't suddenly make the word fit you denial
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm rather amused that the cows are blamed for CO2 emissions growing too high in the atmosphere when the real culprit's in the heavy industry around the world. Not even the cow-population in India can match those emissions.

And toting the EPA having all the rules and regulations in place is a moot point since the Trumpiewumpie administration has rolled most, if not all of them, back.

A few very interesting articles:

Carbon Dioxide explained by Brittanica.com, in case you want to know who first encountered the gas (he was Belgian).

Main sources of carbon dioxide emissions
      Source: CO2 Human Emissions Project (Who are they?)

There are both natural and human sources of carbon dioxide emissions. Natural sources include decomposition, ocean release and respiration. Human sources come from activities like cement production, deforestation as well as the burning of fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas.

Due to human activities, the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide has been rising extensively since the Industrial Revolution and has now reached dangerous levels not seen in the last 3 million years. Human sources of carbon dioxide emissions are much smaller than natural emissions but they have upset the natural balance that existed for many thousands of years before the influence of humans.

This is because natural sinks remove around the same quantity of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere than are produced by natural sources. This had kept carbon dioxide levels balanced and in a safe range. But human sources of emissions have upset the natural balance by adding extra carbon dioxide to the atmosphere without removing any.

Carbon Dioxide Emissions: Human Sources

Since the Industrial Revolution, human sources of carbon dioxide emissions have been growing. Human activities such as the burning of oil, coal and gas, as well as deforestation are the primary cause of the increased carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere.

87 percent of all human-produced carbon dioxide emissions come from the burning of fossil fuels like coal, natural gas and oil. The remainder results from the clearing of forests and other land use changes (9%), as well as some industrial processes such as cement manufacturing (4%)
      We, humans, basically upset the natural balance of CO2 emissions and considering we take away forests by the droves, it's fairly idiotic to blame the cow-population for overemitting (and they emit methane so different gas altogether). We upset the balance, they were already contributing plenty of sh... err... well, you know... gasses.

Onwards to what cows emit into the atmosphere --> methane.

Methane from Indian livestock adds to global warming (01/17/2018)
      Source: Scidev.net

Results of the study carried out by the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi and the Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology, Murthal and published this month (January) in Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety show that the Indian livestock emitted 15.3 million tonnes of methane in 2012. Globally, the livestock sector is a major source of anthropogenic (human-induced causes) methane emission with annual global contribution of 14.5 per cent.
      Know your gasses: methane.
      Source: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

And to finish it of, a little Op-ed from The New York Times: The Meat Question, by the Numbers, with links to US studies and Canadian studies on methane emissions.

Methane is increasingly drawing attention from researchers because its worldwide levels have doubled in less than 10 years after remaining flat since the 1990s. The reasons behind the increase are not well understood.
      It's a work in progress apparently.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Falcon Horus, Thank you for the added info.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        We, humans, basically upset the natural balance of CO2 emissions and considering we take away forests by the droves, it's fairly idiotic to blame the cow-population for overemitting (and they emit methane so different gas altogether). We upset the balance, they were already contributing plenty of sh... err... well, you know... gasses.
        As for humans removing forests one way or another... personally, I have always believed that for every tree cut down or burned off (for firewood or via various disasters), another one should be planted in its place. That way, the natural balance of (clean air) atmospheric levels might eventually be restored... at least on the tree removal--replacement mode.

Since our world is growing exponentially in various industrial areas, it might not hurt to plant more trees and green growing plants to hopefully help absorb and offset the toxic stuff currently in the atmosphere, until some better ideas come into existence on how to control the many currently damaging events.

Sidenote... When I suggested to my bosses to bring in some greenery into our new environmentally sealed building, the reaction was some very strange expressions... of "you've got to be kidding". No one knew how to grow anything GREEN, and those who might know weren't speaking up or volunteering ideas such as having a horticulture department in our workforce.

When I worked at our local insurance company, the building had its own horticultural workers within their maintenance department. The place was beautiful! I wasn't fond of working in business, but the walkways, hallways, and individual work areas were absolutely stunning! There was even a babbling waterfall in a quiet sitting/walkway area with a green oasis of tropical and exotic plants. It was well worth spending lots of *quality* time in those Scenic GREENERY areas, while on breaks and lunch.

It was an idea I suggested for this new office. Borrow the idea from my previous employer(s) and make those living GREEN *beauties* grow.. Help us breathe in fresh Oxygen from an ample supply of Green foliage set up in the different work areas. That's why when some of the plants that we, as individual employees brought in for our desk displays.. when those plants died, we were desperately trying to figure out what the problem was that was killing those plants off.

Some of us believe it might be the cleaning people that were deliberately wrecking our plants... the cleaning people have been known to wreck havoc when cleaning our work areas (toss our work equipment around on the desk... break our personal knickknacks to make our desk more home-y), so why not spray the plants with toxic chemicals...? I've found suspicious "water-type" spots on leaves that suddenly appeared after the weekend clean-ups... ...or is it the air conditioning killing them off..(fungus growth or "scale" insect creatures)..? I've found bug-webs, mites and spiders crawling between the leaves... so now I need to fend the plant bowls with more vigorous bug killer stuff and have no idea on how to properly use the stuff that is available to achieve this, nor have enough time to spend on cleaning each plant leaf/stem (never-ending battle!).

Those of us who want GREEN foliage displays in greater quantities, well, we're still working on making that goal possible. But in the meantime, we need to bring in more sturdy and robust plants that might survive and help our sealed in air/atmosphere (no open window access), until the smaller varieties of plants can be brought back in to add wider types of displays. Until then, I can only dream about such things...

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Despite what you've been programmed to think, it is NOT a proven fact, it is a theory. Nothing more.
          Won't waste my time proving the obvious since we've pretty much ALL tried to, without success.

Both of you dump a truckload of manure on your neighbor's lawn, ask the man to prove it was you who did it and continuously dismiss any observable facts presented to you. The guy was right there, he saw you dump a stinky load with his very eyes, and in the meantime, you're pulling an AOC ''I (don't) WANT!'' (to believe)

You are too far gone into conspiracy / religious theories to be reasoned with. Any observable facts presented to you is dismissed on the basis that you don't believe in it, it's either a cover-up or a small scooby-clue in the scheme of some great divine plan to doom us all.

And just because the Republicans are the only party that doesn't buy into it, that doesn't mean they're wrong.
          I don't believe humans need oxygen to breathe, I've seen it on FoxNews. I'm the only guy that doesn't buy into it, that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
            As for humans removing forests one way or another... personally, I have always believed that for every tree cut down or burned off (for firewood or via various disasters), another one should be planted in its place. That way, the natural balance of (clean air) atmospheric levels might eventually be restored... at least on the tree removal--replacement mode.
            In more recent year, that's what's been happening but unfortunately the deforestation is quite extensive and still happening and we can't plant new trees fast enough to balance it out, especially knowing that young trees need lots of years to grow up to be strong and big.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
            Sidenote... When I suggested to my bosses to bring in some greenery into our new environmentally sealed building, the reaction was some very strange expressions... of "you've got to be kidding". No one knew how to grow anything GREEN, and those who might know weren't speaking up or volunteering ideas such as having a horticulture department in our workforce.
            We're not allowed to have greenery on our desks so obviously there's plenty of plants about.

But technically speaking we're not allowed to, especially not since they introduced the clean-desk policies, which everyone ignores as well. We're also not allowed to play music out loud -- which one of my colleagues ignores and does anyway (no ones's complaining though).

Comment

But technically speaking we're not allowed to, especially not since they introduced the clean-desk policies, which everyone ignores as well. We're also not allowed to play music out loud -- which one of my colleagues ignores and does anyway (no ones's complaining though).
              You do know that such policies are simply placeholders to give management grounds to stand on if the "right" people don't like something, right?
              Play some music that those folks don't like, or have something on your desk that they don't like, and you'll see how fast those policies get enforced.

Comment

You do know that such policies are simply placeholders to give management grounds to stand on if the "right" people don't like something, right?
                Play some music that those folks don't like, or have something on your desk that they don't like, and you'll see how fast those policies get enforced.
                *Quickly hides Carcass and Bloodbath CD's*

Shame.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

We'll blast it through Annoyed's stereo so he can complain about "the young people"
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    We'll blast it through Annoyed's stereo so he can complain about "the young people"
                    Considering the stereo system I have, that would constitute cruel & unusual punishment by the standards of N. Korea.

Comment

Considering the stereo system I have, that would constitute cruel & unusual punishment by the standards of N. Korea.
                      I don't know man, they already have some pretty high standards. I don't believe we can outdo a ''Blasting a Defence Minister publicly with a freaking AA missile for sleeping in a meeting''.

(I think that was what... 2 years ago?)
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        I don't know man, they already have some pretty high standards. I don't believe we can outdo a ''Blasting a Defence Minister publicly with a freaking AA missile for sleeping in a meeting''.

(I think that was what... 2 years ago?)
                        Ever hear of Hotblack Desiato & "Disaster Area" (HHGTG universe) ?

"Disaster Area was a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones and was generally regarded as not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but also as being the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judged that the best sound balance was usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves played their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stayed in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet.
                        "Many worlds have now banned their act altogether, sometimes for artistic reasons, but most commonly because the band's public address system contravenes local strategic arms limitations treaties."

Comment

Ever hear of Hotblack Desiato & "Disaster Area" (HHGTG universe) ?
                          I have not, nor do I know what HHGTG means. I'll just say that I'm still surprised to this day my hearing isn't completely gone, too often I've been to local shows with badly tuned instruments & crappy audio systems. Also neck pains due to headbanging. Always do a neck warm-up before a show, you look like a weird chicken but it's worth it.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            I have not, nor do I know what HHGTG means. I'll just say that I'm still surprised to this day my hearing isn't completely gone, too often I've been to local shows with badly tuned instruments & crappy audio systems. Also neck pains due to headbanging. Always do a neck warm-up before a show, you look like a weird chicken but it's worth it.
                            Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

The plants need to be kept so I can understand why management wouldn't want those around.

However, the music thing does have legality reasons. In Belgium you need to pay a fee to be able to play music in an office environment, or a shop, or any public place -- a sort of copyright fee to the organization that represents all artists. If you don't want to pay this fee (SABAM) then you're not allowed to openly play music.
                              We can still listen individually, but you can't blast that radio station through your speakers. Or play a radio.

If the SABAM-people catch you and you can't produce the necessary evidence you paid the fee, they slap you with a hefty fine.

Comment

The plants need to be kept so I can understand why management wouldn't want those around.

However, the music thing does have legality reasons. In Belgium you need to pay a fee to be able to play music in an office environment, or a shop, or any public place -- a sort of copyright fee to the organization that represents all artists. If you don't want to pay this fee (SABAM) then you're not allowed to openly play music.
                                We can still listen individually, but you can't blast that radio station through your speakers. Or play a radio.

If the SABAM-people catch you and you can't produce the necessary evidence you paid the fee, they slap you with a hefty fine.
                                Ah, that's a different story then.
                                Here. people are allowed to play radios or whatever for their own entertainment at work. You can't broadcast it, or use it for store-wide muzak, but personal use is fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X