Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    The trouble with 'prophecy' is that they're often left just vague enough that others will interpret the facts to fit the prophecy. It's like psychics, oracles and other frauds like that. That's how they operate.
    Jean Dixon predicts.. was considered about 98% accurate in her lifetime of predictions.
    ---- the remaining 2% or whatever = fraud.
    Nostradamus ... well, his predictions seem to be on-going and more of them keep popping up in various new news articles.
    ---- the remaining whatever he missed = fraud.
    (I thought his prophecies had supposedly stopped at the year 2000..?)

True prophecy is NOT a fraud when it comes true. Then it becomes part of history.
    And what we're seeing written nearly 2000 years ago in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13, Luke 21 (signs of "the end of the age") are all falling into historical place. It may not be written more specific than that, but little bit by little bit.. it all seems to be there.

and just an FYI about describing "the end of the age" ---
    I thought about this deeper. It's been discussed before that the "end of the AGE" is not about the END OF THE WORLD. The Mayan calendar is about the END of the AGE that stops in our timeline at 2012 (A.D./C.E.)?

So, here is a new question. Was Jesus (in the Bible scriptures) referring in pointing history towards 2012..? and was the whole concept of the END of the AGE known all the way back into Abraham's years as ending, based on the Mayan calculations at 2012 (A.D./C.E.)..?
    If YES, then, it only marks the END of "the AGE" (time era) that would lead into the beginning of a new time era.

Of course, since most "pre/mid-tribulation/Rapture" believing Christians have been taught to understand there is also *supposed to be* a seven year tribulation turmoil time frame occurring during the very end and start of that time era, there seems to be a lot of focus on 2012 being more than just a year of horrible weather and other disturbances occurring on earth and maybe in our solar system.
    (just a thought to ponder)
    Last edited by SGalisa; 15 October 2011, 01:32 PM. Reason: clarified info

Comment

Well congratulations. That was about the most transparent example of 'ignore what the quoted post says in favour of continuing with hyperbole' as you might've managed.

I like "prophecy" as a curiosity of what people have the capacity to believe, but that doesn't make even an iota of it true.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
        Is this thread for realsies? I don't get the joke.
        There is no joke. I wish some of it was more into the humor stream, but world events are just not permitting such pleasantry.
        Consider it a diary of sorts, especially if some of the stuff actually occurs that is *IN* the Bible...
        Besides, there is nothing wrong with following or tracking various world news events that may or may not be fulfilling the hundreds of prophecies in existence.

---- consider the Native American prophecies ----
        And I just came across a Native American prophecy that sounded like something straight out of the Bible. more specifically, here is just a sampling---

"And this is the Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease.

"These are the Signs that great destruction is coming. The world shall rock to and fro. The white man will battle against other people in other lands -- with those who possessed the first light of wisdom. There will be many columns of smoke and fire such as White Feather has seen the white man make in the deserts not far from here. Only those which come will cause disease and a great dying.
        quoted from "NATIVE AMERICAN PROPHECY"
        http : // www .2012endofdays. org/more/Native-American-prophecy.php

((to access above link----Please remove B L A N K spaces in beginning of web address to access article/link for complete details))

So for the first part of that quote, are they referring to the current international space station?? or some other spacy technology station that we'll create? And-- could that be the Wormwood being described in Revelation 8:10-11...? There's been talk of abandoning the international space station, due to the current financial crisis in many countries down here on earth.. If the space station gets abandoned, chances of it going into an orbital decay are strong, if SOLAR Storms occur, or some other hideous (debris strike?) occurs.

Anyway, I read that prophecy and many of the previous ones and thought, OMG!!! who borrowed from whom? Part of that prophecy indirectly states the location of the "White Feather has seen the white man make in the deserts not far from here" is midwest (Nevada / restricted gov't areas) and New Mexico, where the first atomic bomb was developed and tested.

yeah, I'd take that info a bit more seriously than a mere joke. Sad to say so.
        I (and my family) also have strong ancestry ties (it's in our bloodstream) to the Native Americans since I am part Native American (Blackfoot tribe).
        So, I do listen to what the others (besides Christians) have to say.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        I do not think food will be a problem. Large parts of the world are still farmed a cultivated inefficiently, there millions of hectares in Africa alone that if bought into production would provide more than enough food for continent, there very few nations in Africa that would not be self sufficent in food if they were well run, had access to the right technologies and knowled, and do relatively little damage to the enviroment as these are little more than deserts at the moment.

Plus even in the West we can grow a lot more food if wanted, for example a few huge green houses in Britain provides one third of the country with there tomatoes, cucumbers and other vegtables. We built 4 of those and we could self sufficent in vegtabels.
        Food ---- Africa
        First of all, some of the folks over there need to learn to STOP FIGHTING each other and destroying everything in their path. The land will never recover when the people continue to burn down villages and blow things up, etc.
        Yes, Africa is a huge continent with numerous possibilities in feeding many populations of the world. They've done it before during Joseph's time (Joseph, son of Jacob). After Joseph got sold into Egyptian slavery and overcame all of that, he was privileged to start a massive agricultural program to produce and *save* the grain food supplies of that region -- enough to last thru an entire 7-year drought phase.

Various world-news articles for the past several years (at least 3 decades) have claimed that the entire world's storage sheds only have enough grain supplies for a month or two on any given day (year-round), and that is it. What happened to our technology between the era of Joseph's life from centuries ago to now. Our world is supposed to be so much more advanced in technology now, and yet it seems we're going backwards (regressing) somehow.

Food ---- insecticides
        Sadly, because of our own technology fighting against pestilences (mostly insects), the veggie growth control stuff to help ward of bugs is now creating superbugs. Apparently, some of the insects have absorbed the toxic poisons into their bodies and adapted, just like the bacteria and viruses in the medical industry. So, while scientists were hoping to resolve the veggie plant world from various insect invasions, they've actually started a whole NEW dilemma in the food chain industry.

According to recent news reports, Monsanto's genetically modified plants have contributed to this dilemma as well. Monsanto provides GM crops world-wide and has legal status to criminize anyone who's gardens mix the GM creations into the organic food chains. It's insane out there!

gosh, many of us folks in the USA would LOVE to see the agriculture industry provide crops in specially built or converted greenhouses, but so far, the reports are coming in against such measures. (Gov't law/rules and regs) Since many farmers are stuck in the so-called greenbelt of the midwest, and have lost millions of dollars in crops from floods or drought, most of them are at the mercy of and seriously indebted to whatever the USA gov't dictates to them. Not many people can afford to build greenhouses either. And certainly not on a scale that would provide for an entire community let alone a single home.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        I do not think Islam is as much as a threat people like to make out, in many of the muslim countries, Islamic is treated a moderate religion, Indonesia, the biggest Muslim country in the world is secular and moderate. Turkey why being more assertive in the world is also a largely secular country.
        Islam / Muslim vs other religions---
        For the past century or more, Muslims sort of lived in the shadows of other religions. However, ever since 2001 and more recent years, they have regained their voice around the world. The issue isn't them being a "threat" but competition for which theological system will gain 1st place in the world and basically dominate or control society by its spiritual and social objectives.

Comment

Well congratulations. That was about the most transparent example of 'ignore what the quoted post says in favour of continuing with hyperbole' as you might've managed.

I like "prophecy" as a curiosity of what people have the capacity to believe, but that doesn't make even an iota of it true.
          when is it a fraud? ALL the time, or just when things don't happen at all in the predicted statements?
          btw, I went back and edited a clarification into my post about Jean Dixon, et.al...

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
          Nice Topic and I just watched a program on Curiosities that talked about "How the World will End" and they mentioned a variety of things...but none of them really brought about a complete global crisis. And funny thing....all of these disasters were centered in North America? SO there will be no major disasters causing cataclysmic events in other parts of the world? Weird! I am really glad you are doing this..because there is so much junk...rumor...false hype out there that is only geared to induce panic or gain some monetary reward by selling self preparedness materials and emergency food/disaster kits.
          Hiya SQ
          glad you finally got here. =)
          yeah, that's weird.. however, I think it's just an editing error on the creators of the program. They forgot about the rest of the world.

Nice Topic
          ... I am really glad you are doing this..because there is so much junk...rumor...false hype out there that is only geared to induce panic or gain some monetary reward by selling self preparedness materials and emergency food/disaster kits....
          thx (about the topic getting started =)
          and yeah, you've seen what I've seen that's out there in the survival kit ads. It gets nauseating after a while, because there are always going to be some sort of general disasters (tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc). So, get the basics and keep them updated (watch out for the expiration dates).

It's made worse when radio/Tv hosts like Glenn Beck keep harping on getting such kits..! Not everyone on this planet can afford to get those things (on the degree that Glenn Beck is suggesting -- at least a year, maybe up to 2 years or more!!).

Plus, if *some* money might be available to put aside for that, there's NO STORAGE space available.. hello -- world?? I lived in an apartment that our space was maxed out and limited. When we finally moved into a real house, same thing -- no attic and I'm not setting up the few inches left in my living room just to store boxes and boxes of stuff I need to hang onto in case of getting nuked or something. I know lots of people's homes like that. It's bad enough loading up on (necessities like underwear, due to the skyrocketing price of cotton!) clothing for winter and what to wear for work.

Also, how much can a person store in their tiny food pantry? Glenn said to get rid of some pots and pans, etc. and MAKE room. Clean out those stuffed closets-- he keeps saying over and over again. It gets frustrating. Wish we had the space to do it, and the money to be able to support it all... ummm. Not happening here, anyway. Need the few pots and pans and cups (etc) for cooking and eating on! geesh. Very Limited income/budget, this end.
          Not everyone lives in $500,000.00 homes with a 2 or 3 car garage, either..!

( I certainly don't. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumble. We don't even have a carport, or a yard -- so no garden space to grow even a few days supply of veggies..! )

Comment

I hear ya SG....but I happen to like Glenn Beck *ducks flying objects* Yeah I know...he gets a bit overly dramatic at times...but at least he is rattling the cages and trying to wake up Americans or people to see that gone are the days to just sit back comfortably and watch our retirement plan grow into something lush and beautiful No now we see it dwindle down to almost nothing. Plus he always says to not take what he says as true to go and do your own research and test the facts yourself...not many people who are "trying to scam you" will say such things.

So I take from him what makes the most sense and ignore or throw the rest away

But yeah I"m with you that I don't have goo goobs of space in my house either to just devote a section as a make shift fall out shelter But what I like about Glenn's message and something that we can try and get out there and get back to....is Let's NOT lose the knowledge of our grandparent's or great grandparent's generation....gee how many people do you know today...can actually can vegetables? How many people do you know today can actually plan, plant and sustain a garden? I would bet not that many. Gee for that matter how many people today actually know how to cook from scratch that doesn't involve some sort of microwaveable element or prepared meal from a box that all you do is add water? How many people could actually if they had to ....make bread from wheat? This is what we need to reacquaint ourselves with...it's not just stocking up for a few months or a few years...it's getting prepared in our skill sets as well because if we have a major event.....and we lose the internet, energy etc ....we may have to go back to our roots of our pioneers and learn to live off the land and not rely on instant meals or instant information at our fingertips to fill in the gaps in our knowledge.

And that could be a noble thing anyway...to learn how to garden or can or cook from scratch.... it certainly wouldn't hurt us to look back and acknowledge where we've come as a society and keep alive what our previous generations used to do in order to live and stay alive.
            Originally posted by jelgate
            This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
              when is it a fraud? ALL the time, or just when things don't happen at all in the predicted statements?
              Each and every time, it's nonsense. In essence: 'all characters appearing in this work are entirely fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.'
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Each and every time, it's nonsense. In essence: 'all characters appearing in this work are entirely fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.'
                now surely, you *are* joking...?
                Otherwise, when something actually occurs by establishing its place nicely into the timestream of the universe and history, it's a concrete reality----
                ---- it's not an imaginary dream, where no one ever gets *really* hurt..?

I hear ya SG....but I happen to like Glenn Beck *ducks flying objects*
                nah, no flying objects..

I like Glenn Beck, too, but not when he goes off on his *numerous* tirade rants about stocking up on things I (or no one else in my family/relatives) can't afford or have the luxury of space to do so. He just got me so frustrated after weeks and weeks of him ranting about stock-piling, that I literally threw my headphones off at work--several times. It was just so frustrating listening to him (and I know he's gone thru poor years himself in his past) he--who had/has more moolah than me, and he even mentioned how he put up lots of shelving units in his house, garage, and/or basement, to store all of those long-term food items!

(Cheap radio on my end, too. I had to struggle to listen (bad reception location).. the antenna finally broke off, and the ear pieces on the headphones have layers of cushions on them, because the original cushions got too thin. I couldn't afford to buy new ones at the time, and now people are using i-pods, while I still have my ancient CD player (boombox--it t'was a birthday present!) or transistor radio. Now, he's off the radio/Tv, and I can't access him on the internet at work--that's forbidden!! well, welcome to my *real* world.. *sigh*)

...Glenn Beck...
                at least he is rattling the cages and trying to wake up Americans or people to see that gone are the days to just sit back comfortably and watch our retirement plan grow into something lush and beautiful No now we see it dwindle down to almost nothing. Plus he always says to not take what he says as true to go and do your own research and test the facts yourself...not many people who are "trying to scam you" will say such things.

So I take from him what makes the most sense and ignore or throw the rest away
                same here about taking and tossing what he says...

Anyway, yes, he does tell some good, interesting and valuable things.
                (We've got his web site bookmarked =)

I realize he's talking to the rest of the world, because I already KNOW how bad things are going to get.. we just keep hoping -- not in our lifetime, please LORD. But, just as Texas didn't get its prayer answers to rain relief, and had a super horrible summer of fires in nearly every county, the rest of us must bear the burden of struggling thru what paths are set and traveled upon before us.

I often think of the MASTER WEAVER poem to remind me of that. It's a beautiful poem, but difficult to absorb when we have to live thru some very disturbing circumstances that way. (*exhausted*)

But yeah I"m with you that I don't have goo goobs of space in my house either to just devote a section as a make shift fall out shelter But what I like about Glenn's message and something that we can try and get out there and get back to....is Let's NOT lose the knowledge of our grandparent's or great grandparent's generation....gee how many people do you know today...can actually can vegetables? How many people do you know today can actually plan, plant and sustain a garden? I would bet not that many. Gee for that matter how many people today actually know how to cook from scratch that doesn't involve some sort of microwaveable element or prepared meal from a box that all you do is add water? How many people could actually if they had to ....make bread from wheat? This is what we need to reacquaint ourselves with...it's not just stocking up for a few months or a few years...it's getting prepared in our skill sets as well because if we have a major event.....and we lose the internet, energy etc ....we may have to go back to our roots of our pioneers and learn to live off the land and not rely on instant meals or instant information at our fingertips to fill in the gaps in our knowledge.
                well, I do have several recipe books, but I don't know how to pound wheat into bread from scratch, or make tasty marinara tomato sauce. Maybe the local farmers might be able to help out in that area?
                We do have friends who do their own canning... of course they also have a farm and grow their own veggies. =)

Growing one's own garden ------ and cooking from scratch is a lost or fading skill among many. It just boggles my brain how people survived before refrigerators existed (in summer months), and how food supplies could last for months and months without getting moldy or whatever.

Originally posted by squirrely1
                And that could be a noble thing anyway...to learn how to garden or can or cook from scratch.... it certainly wouldn't hurt us to look back and acknowledge where we've come as a society and keep alive what our previous generations used to do in order to live and stay alive.
                My sister and I have brainstormed ideas on ---IF--- we ever won enough mega millions (even a portion of it) to move to a larger/better piece of land and live off of solar/wind energy generators, we would also have our own bug-proofed Greenhouse and grow our own veggies (preferably year round, too) based on how the experts do it at Epcot (Disney). We went on the LAND tour (in Florida) I think the last time I visited her, and got educated on how they grow their own veggies (self-sufficient) and pollinate them too, when nature's other critters aren't around.
                (those pollination techniques would be helpful if the bee populations ever completely vanish.. it might take longer, but.. how will such living be done on other planets -- if people ever get to live in those places??)

It was a fascinating, learning experience. Even if we could grow a tiny portion of veggie crops with vertical farming, it would be fantastic. Vertical farming methods involves maximizing more crops into a limited space, but also sustains the proper temperature and lighting conditions for the plants to grow.
                But I (nor my sister) don't have the proper space, temperature controls and lighting conditions to do that, and it's expensive to get started. *sigh*

Comment

Reality is reality. "Prophecy" is hogwash--or at the very best, a lucky guess.

Comment

You forgot a line Digi

For those who do not watch Red Dwarf:
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                      Its been around over 400 years lol
                      I assume that' a typo and you meant "1400" years...

Jean Dixon predicts.. was considered about 98% accurate in her lifetime of predictions.

(snip)
                      True prophecy is NOT a fraud when it comes true. Then it becomes part of history.
                      It may be use of language but I think "fraud" is unnecessarily harsh. A prophecy is a prophecy whether it's right or wrong. "Fraud" would be a deliberate falsehood for some purpose to deceive or gain advantage. It seems awfully mean to suggest that someone who has a staggeringly high percentage of accuracy would be deliberately deceitful for their other statements. Rather that, like most other people on the planet, they made a few mistakes.

Comment

There is no joke. I wish some of it was more into the humor stream, but world events are just not permitting such pleasantry.
                        Consider it a diary of sorts, especially if some of the stuff actually occurs that is *IN* the Bible...
                        Besides, there is nothing wrong with following or tracking various world news events that may or may not be fulfilling the hundreds of prophecies in existence.
                        Postdiction
                        sigpic
                        http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                        http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          You forgot a line Digi

For those who do not watch Red Dwarf:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRzway95yI
                          Gives me an excuse to repost this.
                          sigpic

Comment

The trouble with 'prophecy' is that they're often left just vague enough that others will interpret the facts to fit the prophecy. It's like psychics, oracles and other frauds like that. That's how they operate.

btw, I went back and edited a clarification into my post about Jean Dixon, et.al...

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                            It may be use of language but I think "fraud" is unnecessarily harsh. A prophecy is a prophecy whether it's right or wrong. "Fraud" would be a deliberate falsehood for some purpose to deceive or gain advantage. It seems awfully mean to suggest that someone who has a staggeringly high percentage of accuracy would be deliberately deceitful for their other statements. Rather that, like most other people on the planet, they made a few mistakes.
                            Thought I'd put the quoted postings in the proper context.
                            I was under the impression that DigiFluid was implying prophecy (not yet fulfilled), along with failed predictions was being considered "fraud" (deception of info, whether or not it failed to come true). So, I naturally followed the same wording, according to what was being challenged against my own understanding of the word.

I personally do not consider Bible prophecy, nor the Native American prophecies as fraud.
                            But I do see how comparing them with Jean Dixon can get lumped into the same category.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Pena View Post
                              This Mr. Camping guy, has made the same thing twice....one was just. few months ago and the other back in like the 90s.
                              I think his last Rapture date, which he claims was phase one or half completed occurred on May 21, 2011.
                              Either way, he's going to be probably treated as nut-case if his time-line version doesn't happen at the appointed date he mentioned.

ONE-WORLD RELIGION being formed----
                              btw, I just found an article noting that

"Saudis underwrite organization to bring world's religions under one roof"
                              posted by Rob Kerby, Senior Editor, 7:43pm Friday October 14, 2011

http : // blog .beliefnet. com/news/2011/10/saudis-underwrite-organization-to-bring-worlds-religions-under-one-roof.php

(Please remove B L A N K spaces in beginning of above web address to access article/link for complete details)

Comment

a few items noted... =)

10-21-2011 Rapture, according to Harold Camping's timetable
                                hmmmm.. lots of binary numbers in that date!

Well, knowing how God has worked in my life, He might delay Rapture to come just as Jesus said-- at a time when we least expect it (paraphrased). Or, you could do what I did during my childhood, and that is to pray for God to wait until after your celebration.

But if world events turn really sour and bad, where would you rather be?

I know my hubby wanted to go visit NYC to see the memorial at the WTC, and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge on his vacation (because he was born in Brooklyn and likes to do that sort of thing). But all of that got interrupted by the entire occupywallstreet fanatics who took over most of that area. So, he stayed home and did home things, instead. *sigh* I felt really sad for him, because he really wanted to go, but not with the potential problems that might and some actually did occur.
                                And maybe next year, I'm supposed to go visit my sister over 2,000 miles away, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to (or want to, due to various events). She believes in the Rapture (at any moment--not by a specific date), so she's looking forward to seeing me either way -- by visiting her & her clan, or by via the Rapture route..

okay, hubby corrected me on the when the new age influences started showing up in Star Trek. Some of it creeped in during ST-TNG. Most prominent (spiritual connection quest) was when Wesley joined the Native Indians with whatever it was they were doing (I missed the episode, so I don't know the whole story). Maitreya's prophetical presence was felt moreso in ST-Deep Space Nine, but any resemblance to the prophet may have been altered by using the same *idea* under a different name and planetary culture.

---- AGE OF AQUARIUS (spiritual / *health* aspects) ----
                                btw, because I was born late January, I'm supposed to be an Aquarius. Aquarius folks are often thought of being part of the new age movement (not Christian). However, I'm not into reincarnation or being "one with the universe / nature" even tho I am part of it.
                                (On the other hand, I learned that I share this Aquarian adventure "birth sign/symbol" with Gene Roddenberry's son, Eugene (or "Rod"), because he was born a week after me =)

anywho... Maybe it took me years to realize where or how my Aquarian birth symbol actually connects--- so, I figured out I *am* sort of a waterboy-gal/fish in a pool, because I have found water aerobics to be very healthy on the body's muscles and easy exercising for folks with disintegrating cartilage conditions. When you're nearly weightless in the water (because of physics), you don't feel the stress impacts of exercising as running and jumping on land cause. But that is the basic extent of my being in an Aquarian status.

yes, I hereby stand corrected (sorry about that brain freeze).. Actually, Islam has been around longer than that. I think as far back as the 700's (A.D./C.E.)... yep (I checked the encyclopedia just now). Thereabouts. Phrasing sentences correctly tends to change the meanings of some things greatly. LOL
                                I have a dyslexic brain at times, so ... oops!
                                more info and probably more *oopsies* later...
                                Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                                I assume that' a typo and you meant "1400" years...
                                You would be right but I fixed it now. I must have thought it 1011 lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X