This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regenerations & Emotions

As we have known for decades (some of us anyway) with each new regeneration certain aspects of a Time Lord (or Time Lady) change beyond physical appearance. Taste, skills, temperament can all change radically. So what of emotions? If the 11th, 12th or even the 13th Doctor were to meet Rose, would he still feel the same type of affection for her that his 10th persona felt?
    sigpic
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
    As we have known for decades (some of us anyway) with each new regeneration certain aspects of a Time Lord (or Time Lady) change beyond physical appearance. Taste, skills, temperament can all change radically. So what of emotions? If the 11th, 12th or even the 13th Doctor were to meet Rose, would he still feel the same type of affection for her that his 10th persona felt?
    I doubt it. The 11th Doctor, while having some affection for her, i suspect would treat her as any other companion.

We have seen how The Doctors emotions do change from incarnation to incarnation.
    The 9th Doctor for example was openly critical about humans in general most of the time whereas the 10th Doctor was generally openly affectionate towards them.

You can also look at how differently the classic series Doctors treated his companions after he regenerated.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Indeed, poor dear Peri didn't know what hit her. 4thDoctorrlol.gif
      sigpic

Comment

Indeed, poor dear Peri didn't know what hit her. [ATTACH=CONFIG]32381[/ATTACH]
        The 6th Doctor is a perfect example since his attitude towards everything was completely different to 5th's

Comment

Now that I think on it, that may be why Rose was so upset by the Doctor beginning the regeneration process in the episode 'Journey's End' in that, his next self might not be "in love with her".
          sigpic

Comment

Now that I think on it, that may be why Rose was so upset by the Doctor beginning the regeneration process in the episode 'Journey's End' in that, his next self might not be "in love with her".
            I wouldn't assume that someone changing their body would not be in love with me - they were the same "person" "inside".

Comment

Ah, but you see, when his body changes the shape and configuration of his brain changes, so it's all a roll of the dice.
              sigpic

Comment

Ah, but you see, when his body changes the shape and configuration of his brain changes, so it's all a roll of the dice.
                I agree as a sci-fi fan, in the cold light of day. But if someone was doing it in front of me...

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                  I wouldn't assume that someone changing their body would not be in love with me - they were the same "person" "inside".
                  Even so Rose had seen first hand how The Doctor had changed between his 9th and 10th Incarnations.

I would also make the claim that Rose wasn't neccesarily in love with the 9th Doctor like she was with the 10th.

Comment

Being the same person inside, is, at its base level, just a complex sequence of electrochemical reactions throughout the brain, it can be reconfigured.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                      Being the same person inside, is, at its base level, just a complex sequence of electrochemical reactions throughout the brain, it can be reconfigured.
                      But so is memory... and that appears to remain unaffected...

Comment

I think The Doctor is possibly a topic worthy of a conversation about nature vs nurture.

It would see that while his regenerations mean that parts of his personality changes each time, the ideals and experiences that he has been brought up with remain which ultimately makes him the man he is.

Comment

Working...
                        X