Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,680

    Default Are you content with how the show ended?

    Are you content with how the show ended? Rather than focus on how it should have ended, I want to focus on how it did end. What did you like, and what didn't you like? Discussion isn't limited to the final episodes, but rather the fifth season overall. My only issue with the show's ending was that there was no build-up. I know the show was cancelled and that "Enemy at the Gate" was suppose to be a stand-alone season finale, but still... as big as that episode was, I'd have liked to see a build-up over at least a few episodes. "Vegas" just didn't cut it as a build-up. One thing I did like about this season was that two key story lines were resolved: Weir and Michael, two loose ends that had to be wrapped up before the show ended. Michael's story line got a great ending, Weir... not so much. The episode was good, I just hate that she was left adrift in space. The final episodes after the big mid-season two-parter were pretty good. The only one I found myself bored with was "Vegas." I'm in the minority here, but I found it to be really pointless. The ending with Earth's location accidentally broadcast to alternate realities was far fetched, even for Stargate. Though "Enemy at the Gate" had a rushed ending, I thought it was a great episode to end the series on. Yes, there's the nagging issue of unresolved stories and character arcs, but that's to be expected when a show is cancelled. Back during the show's first season, I predicted the city would fly back to Earth in the series finale. I was so happy to see that happen, because... for me, it just had to end that way. Naturally, a Wraith hive making it all the way to Earth gave good reason for Atlantis to make the journey to Earth. One issue I had with the finale, though... how do you hide a Wraith hive attack from the people of Earth?

  2. #2
    Captain
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    One issue I had with the finale, though... how do you hide a Wraith hive attack from the people of Earth?
    How much of it, really, would have been visible? The Dart attack was the middle of Area 51, which as we all know is large and barren (on purpose). How much of a "space battle" would be visible from the ground for people who weren't looking for it?

  3. #3
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    I did not like EatG. I did not like Vegas. I really did not like the latter half of Season 5.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  4. #4
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,742

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    i liked vegas a lot. Enemy at the Gate should've been a 2 or 3 parter, as it was WAY too rushed on every level

  5. #5
    Lieutenant Colonel AtlantisRules!!!'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Over a certain... bat-thing?
    Posts
    3,399

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    EatG was a bit too rushed, but I still liked it. I would rather SGa had kept going but I'm not unhappy with how it ended.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---


  6. #6
    Captain WraithRichard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Good question
    Posts
    1,397

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Stargate is all about breaking rules to save earth and then being praised for it. It was about equality in species.

    It ended with a kick in the nuts to that sort or moral ideal. Todd behaved, saved earth, didn't even argue with not being let on the bridge or having to wear that horrible outfit. Chuck him out the Stargate and send him home at least.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

    Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.



    All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

    Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris


    I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

  7. #7
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    gone...
    Posts
    4,787

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Are you content with how the show ended? Rather than focus on how it should have ended, I want to focus on how it did end. What did you like, and what didn't you like? Discussion isn't limited to the final episodes, but rather the fifth season overall. My only issue with the show's ending was that there was no build-up. I know the show was cancelled and that "Enemy at the Gate" was suppose to be a stand-alone season finale, but still... as big as that episode was, I'd have liked to see a build-up over at least a few episodes. "Vegas" just didn't cut it as a build-up. One thing I did like about this season was that two key story lines were resolved: Weir and Michael, two loose ends that had to be wrapped up before the show ended. Michael's story line got a great ending, Weir... not so much. The episode was good, I just hate that she was left adrift in space. The final episodes after the big mid-season two-parter were pretty good. The only one I found myself bored with was "Vegas." I'm in the minority here, but I found it to be really pointless. The ending with Earth's location accidentally broadcast to alternate realities was far fetched, even for Stargate. Though "Enemy at the Gate" had a rushed ending, I thought it was a great episode to end the series on. Yes, there's the nagging issue of unresolved stories and character arcs, but that's to be expected when a show is cancelled. Back during the show's first season, I predicted the city would fly back to Earth in the series finale. I was so happy to see that happen, because... for me, it just had to end that way. Naturally, a Wraith hive making it all the way to Earth gave good reason for Atlantis to make the journey to Earth. One issue I had with the finale, though... how do you hide a Wraith hive attack from the people of Earth?
    I LOVED Vegas and I LOVED EATG. Season 5 was among the best seasons of Stargate that ever was.

    As for hiding the hive from Earth, they don't monitor the entire sky, its too big and any military/super-expensive civilian telescopes would be easier for them to cover up. Plus with it being day time in america and the hive blew up it would have been less noticable. Plus I don't know about you but I sure don't stare at the sky all the time, I barely look at it, most people don't, why would they notice it.

  8. #8
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,680

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    How much of it, really, would have been visible? The Dart attack was the middle of Area 51, which as we all know is large and barren (on purpose). How much of a "space battle" would be visible from the ground for people who weren't looking for it?
    The higher up into the atmosphere, the further away it can be seen from the ground. Someone, somewhere in Nevada would have noticed, quite a lot, actually. You might be able to tell people it was a terrestrial aerial fight, but then how do you explain how it happened to begin with and who was engaging the U.S. Air Force and why? As for Atlantis and the Wraith hive in orbit, you can see the moon in broad daylight if it's high enough in the sky. Don't you think people would have noticed two big space ships shooting each other up in high orbit? Especially as big as they are. They may simply look like two UFO's shooting at each other, but they'd be visible. All it takes is one person looking up at a bird or something, holy smokes, now everyone's staring at the strange objects in the sky, now whole towns, cities, now the news networks... you get the idea.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    It was more action packed and exciting then the SG1 series finale.

  10. #10
    Major General bluealien's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,807

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Most of the episodes in the second half of season 5 could have been scrapped. There was no lead up to the events in Eatg... we could have done without Brain Storm/Tracker/Identity and Vegas.. they were all pointless episodes that didn't really achieve anything.

    Eatg had potential and yes it was action packed but it had far too many implausible scenarios... Sheppard having to go back to Earth was contrived - why didn't Jack control the chair and Clone Carson flying the city was rediculous - he couldn't even manage a drone back in season one.

    I would have preferred a slow and intelligent build up to Eatg instead of all the love triangle nonsence and the overuse of McKay and total lack of other characters..

  11. #11
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,680

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluealien View Post
    There was no lead up to the events in Eatg... we could have done without Brain Storm/Tracker/Identity and Vegas.. they were all pointless episodes that didn't really achieve anything.
    I liked "Tracker" and "Identity." As for "Brain Storm" and "Vegas," I'll agree with you there. "Brain Storm" was basically the McKay hour, and "Vegas" was downright pointless. Remember the build up to Season 1's "The Siege?" We needed that kind of build up to "Enemy at the Gate."

    Eatg had potential and yes it was action packed but it had far too many implausible scenarios... Sheppard having to go back to Earth was contrived - why didn't Jack control the chair and Clone Carson flying the city was rediculous - he couldn't even manage a drone back in season one.
    Structurally speaking, I agree. I didn't mind Sheppard gating back to Earth to activate the Ancient outpost and use the drone weapons. However, the chair being moved to Area 51? Stupid. What is the chair, a remote control? Stupid. I do like the idea of Jack O'Neill using the chair, perhaps a brief cameo rather than a full guest appearance. I didn't mind Clone Carson flying the city. I always assumed he was bad at using Ancient technology due to his own fears.

    I would have preferred a slow and intelligent build up to Eatg instead of all the love triangle nonsence and the overuse of McKay and total lack of other characters..
    Bingo. I didn't mind the fifth season being largely episodic, but I agree. Less McKay, drop the love triangle, and build up to the finale.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    About loss of secrecy, I have been wondering, if the Stargate events continue indefinitely, how long before an uncoverable leak, and how long before the Government admits to the public that Earth now has faster-than-light interstellar travel and space weapons.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyAppleyard View Post
    About loss of secrecy, I have been wondering, if the Stargate events continue indefinitely, how long before an uncoverable leak, and how long before the Government admits to the public that Earth now has faster-than-light interstellar travel and space weapons.
    I believe that they would keep it a secret for as long as possible until at least over half of the general population have knowledge of the Stargate. By then, hopefully it wouldn't create as much panic. If this were real of course hahaha

  14. #14
    Captain Twi'lek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,069

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Nope

  15. #15
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    I have only 3 episodes left. But I have very mixed feelings. It seemed that much of the show in the last season or so was deteriorating into a live-action video game filling time with lots of shooting, bang, bang. That's not how it used to be. If that was where it was headed for a potential Season 6 then it's better that it ended. I say this reluctantly because I came to like the show and all the main characters, including Todd....but I couldn't help seeing it going down (just like the Wraith ship in Infection) for a crash landing.

  16. #16
    John Diggle DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    19,125

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    At the time, I was plenty satisfied that it was over... I wasn't satisfied with how the Expedition had been written and handled, I believed (and still do) that they had been written as unrepentant war criminals. I didn't like that the main villain of the series had been sidelined for a year just to make room to retread Replicators, a villain we'd already done a lot in SG-1. I hated that they'd killed off Carson in such a stupid way, and then robbed that terrible death of any emotional impact by backpedaling a year later. I found that I was loving all the show's side characters and hating the main characters. And that finale--oh my god, "Enemy at the Gate" remains one of the worst series finales I have ever had the misfortune of watching.

    But you know what? Ten years later, I miss the hell out of it. I wish like crazy we'd gotten a Season 6 and 7. I have a file on my Google Docs where, when the mood takes me, I like to lay out how I would redo Atlantis, cherrypicking the stuff I liked and making them more interesting (to me), shifting them around in the storylines (with the benefit of hindsight), dreaming up what might have been.

    If they revived Atlantis today, I'd be all over it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  17. #17
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by digifluid View Post
    and that finale--oh my god, "enemy at the gate" remains one of the worst series finales i have ever had the misfortune of watching.


    I thought it was a really good episode personally, obviously not satisfying as a finale (would any episode be?). Other than that I agree with you.
    Spoiler:
    I donít want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I canít even express these things properly, because I have toóI have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. Iím a machine, and I can know much more.

  18. #18
    John Diggle DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    19,125

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post


    I thought it was a really good episode personally, obviously not satisfying as a finale (would any episode be?). Other than that I agree with you.
    *Zoidberg voice: YOUR OPINION IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!*



    I'm kidding Different strokes, and all that. We can't all love the same things
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  19. #19
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    *Zoidberg voice: YOUR OPINION IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!*



    I'm kidding Different strokes, and all that. We can't all love the same things
    Haha all good man, but I thought about it a bit and it's true the first times around I was really in a "wtf" state of mind, bc of the cancellation of SGA. I do at least one complete rewatch of SG each year and now that the cancellation is behind me I learned to enjoy this finale.

    Still feels rushed, but this episode has everything that's good about SGA. You've got an Hive ship ops, you've got Atlantis in a space battle, you've got the tech issues being solved by our scientists, you've got Todd, and of course they went full budget on that one.

    But I tend to skip the final scene, just like SGU, it's hard to watch the crew saying bye bye basically.
    Spoiler:
    I donít want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I canít even express these things properly, because I have toóI have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. Iím a machine, and I can know much more.

  20. #20
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Are you content with how the show ended?

    Hello, everybody. I finished the last episode with......questions......
    1) Were the attacking Wraith from Pegasus or an alternate reality?
    2) If the weak signal with the earth coordinates from the other reality was transmitted to one ship, wouldn't they have had it transmitted further so that it would not be only a single Wraith ship with the coordinates?
    3) What was the hypothetical future for a Season 6? What would happen to Todd? Who was the commander that did us the favor to resurrect Ronon, and what difference did it make how many humans were on board? Surely the ship was capable of tracking life signals.
    4) What was supposed to be the relationship between "our" Wraith and the Wraith from one or more alternate realities?
    5) If the Clone Beckett was able to stand looking at the Golden Gate Bridge, where was Radek?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 170
    Last Post: July 4th, 2014, 09:12 AM
  2. Do you like how the show ended?
    By Snowman37 in forum Stargate Atlantis
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: August 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
  3. Would anyone truly hate it if the show ended like...
    By Forthestars in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
  4. Has the show ended yet?
    By Coco Pops in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM
  5. So where would you have ended it?
    By Flyboy in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •