Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you content with how the show ended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the time, I was plenty satisfied that it was over... I wasn't satisfied with how the Expedition had been written and handled, I believed (and still do) that they had been written as unrepentant war criminals. I didn't like that the main villain of the series had been sidelined for a year just to make room to retread Replicators, a villain we'd already done a lot in SG-1. I hated that they'd killed off Carson in such a stupid way, and then robbed that terrible death of any emotional impact by backpedaling a year later. I found that I was loving all the show's side characters and hating the main characters. And that finale--oh my god, "Enemy at the Gate" remains one of the worst series finales I have ever had the misfortune of watching.

But you know what? Ten years later, I miss the hell out of it. I wish like crazy we'd gotten a Season 6 and 7. I have a file on my Google Docs where, when the mood takes me, I like to lay out how I would redo Atlantis, cherrypicking the stuff I liked and making them more interesting (to me), shifting them around in the storylines (with the benefit of hindsight), dreaming up what might have been.

If they revived Atlantis today, I'd be all over it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by digifluid View Post
      and that finale--oh my god, "enemy at the gate" remains one of the worst series finales i have ever had the misfortune of watching.

I thought it was a really good episode personally, obviously not satisfying as a finale (would any episode be?). Other than that I agree with you.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

I thought it was a really good episode personally, obviously not satisfying as a finale (would any episode be?). Other than that I agree with you.
        *Zoidberg voice: YOUR OPINION IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!*

I'm kidding Different strokes, and all that. We can't all love the same things
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          *Zoidberg voice: YOUR OPINION IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!*

I'm kidding Different strokes, and all that. We can't all love the same things
          Haha all good man, but I thought about it a bit and it's true the first times around I was really in a "wtf" state of mind, bc of the cancellation of SGA. I do at least one complete rewatch of SG each year and now that the cancellation is behind me I learned to enjoy this finale.

Still feels rushed, but this episode has everything that's good about SGA. You've got an Hive ship ops, you've got Atlantis in a space battle, you've got the tech issues being solved by our scientists, you've got Todd, and of course they went full budget on that one.

But I tend to skip the final scene, just like SGU, it's hard to watch the crew saying bye bye basically.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Hello, everybody. I finished the last episode with......questions......
            1) Were the attacking Wraith from Pegasus or an alternate reality?
            2) If the weak signal with the earth coordinates from the other reality was transmitted to one ship, wouldn't they have had it transmitted further so that it would not be only a single Wraith ship with the coordinates?
            3) What was the hypothetical future for a Season 6? What would happen to Todd? Who was the commander that did us the favor to resurrect Ronon, and what difference did it make how many humans were on board? Surely the ship was capable of tracking life signals.
            4) What was supposed to be the relationship between "our" Wraith and the Wraith from one or more alternate realities?
            5) If the Clone Beckett was able to stand looking at the Golden Gate Bridge, where was Radek?!

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
              Hello, everybody. I finished the last episode with......questions......
              1) Were the attacking Wraith from Pegasus or an alternate reality?
              They were not from an alternate reality. As we discussed previously and as you seem to understand in your second point, the message from the Vegas alternate reality spread to other realities, including the main one. That Hive was controlled by one of Todd's henchmen who he assigned the task of trying to integrate a ZPM into the hive's system. When it worked, he suddenly had a tremendous advantage over the other Wraith and decided that he was going to dispose of Todd and take power for himself. Todd escaped and decided to stop his former underling by sending Atlantis after him when the super Hive received the message containing Earth's location.

2) If the weak signal with the earth coordinates from the other reality was transmitted to one ship, wouldn't they have had it transmitted further so that it would not be only a single Wraith ship with the coordinates?
              The Wraith from Vegas intended for the message to reach Pegasus in his reality. Earth in that other reality stopped that, but an unintended rift was formed that allowed the message to spread to an unknown number of other realities.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the episode clarified whether that message was solely picked up by the super Hive or whether other Wraith in the galaxy also got the coordinates. The super Hive was the only one with the ability to act on it, but it's possible that the rest of the Wraith know where Earth is and now just need to work out a way to get there. Alternatively, it's possible that the signal was too weak to be picked up by typical Wraith sensors and thus only Earth and the super Hive (which, at that point, had sensors powerful enough to detect a cloaked jumper) received it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the signal was not at the same strength level across all the realities that it ended up being sent to, but rather was stronger in realities closer in proximity to the one it was sent from. What this means is that the main reality may be far enough away where only advanced sensors could pick it up, while other realities were not as lucky.
              3) What was the hypothetical future for a Season 6? What would happen to Todd? Who was the commander that did us the favor to resurrect Ronon, and what difference did it make how many humans were on board? Surely the ship was capable of tracking life signals.
              When the show was canceled they turned their plans for the first two episodes of season 6 into a movie script. Joseph Mallozzi gave an overview of the plot here: https://josephmallozzi.com/2013/03/3...on-and-beyond/

Basically Todd would've been released back into the Pegasus galaxy by Sheppard.

The commander was played by the same actor who played Kenny. Given that Kenny was also one of Todd's underlings it would make sense that he was the one who betrayed Todd here. He's not named in the finale, though, and there's some dispute among fans whether the actor is playing a different Wraith character here. In short, actors frequently play different Wraith characters, that particular actor has played multiple Wraith, and Kenny has different prosthetic markings than Todd's underling from finale. So either they updated Kenny's prosthetic makeup or that was a Wraith we've never met before.

As to the number of humans issue; the Wraith have never been shown to have onboard sensors that can detect humans running around their ships. Either they don't have them at all or, more likely, they are not capable of distinguishing the difference between Wraith and human. Ancient sensors can't do that either and Sheppard and co have a long history of remaining undetected (until they physically run into the Wraith) on their ships.
              4) What was supposed to be the relationship between "our" Wraith and the Wraith from one or more alternate realities?
              None. Again, the Vegas Wraith created an unintended rift that allowed the message he intended to send the Wraith in his reality to cross into an unknown number of other realities. The super Hive in the main reality happened to pick it up. That is all.

5) If the Clone Beckett was able to stand looking at the Golden Gate Bridge, where was Radek?!
              I don't know, where was Lorne or Chuck? The writers picked what characters they wanted there. Paul McGillion was at one point a main cast member and he played an important role in that episode, so they had him stand there with the other main cast members and Ronon's girlfriend.
              Last edited by Xaeden; 16 March 2024, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I recently re-watched Stargate Atlantis up until the episode where Sheppard uses the midway station to get from Atlantis to SGC for the first time. Now, the Michael's introduction episode in S2 is where the show went off-track in my opinion. The writers basically cornered themselves into a corner with an episode that made the entire expedition look like jackasses and ciminals. Also, they treated the Athosians (Teyla's people) like crap. But the main nail in the coffin for SGA was the introduction of the Replicators and then the writers having the Ancients behaving like morons and basically kicking our guys the hell out of their city. At that point, the show itself became a shadow of its former self that it has been for the first season and the first 17 episodes of the second season. S02 E18 (Michael) is where the show went off-track and it continued going downhill with the 3rd season. I treied to re-watch all 5 seasons, however, I stopped during the Midway's "first use" episode when O'Neill steps into the frame at the SGC (The Return, Part I") and went directly into re-watching SGU. I just finished re-watching "Hope". Upon finishing SGU, SG-1's next on my list.

Anyway, ETAG was never meant to be a series finale, however, due to Sci-fi's/Syfy's "You've got 5 year contract and after that, you can't move elsewhere" policy, ETAG HAD TO PLAY THE ROLE of the series finale. Yes, it was a rushed episode. It introduced many new plots, concepts and perhaps even help expand the Stargate/Ancient mythology. However, the show has been off-track for quite some time by that point, so they were basically taking care off some story elements that needed to be presented in the show so it could go on. And yes, I agree to a few things:
                - Zelenka missing in the final shot
                - Lack of build up to the events in the episode
                - Lack of build-up of relationships Keller/McKay and Ronnon/his girlfriend (Amelia if I remember correctly)
                - It was stupid to move the Ancient chair to Area 51 and YES, they should have gotten RDA to do his thing
                - Killing carson off and than bringing him back as a clone was even more stupid.
                - Wier's ending episode was a complete hit and miss. I consider it the worst SG episode ever to date.

Now, with that said - my point is:
                Knowing that the writers and the network took some bad decisions for SGA and some bad story elements that were both clearly wrong, I don't think it would have halped if they actually did the build-up all the way to the events in the series finale. Yes, it woild have probably made a lot more sense and it would probably enable for the writers to save a couple of script pages and incude some more important and meaningful stuff, but if the episode would't end up concluding at least most of the character arcs, I think we'd be just getting a better version of the existing series finale.

I have learned to accept SGA for what it was for its first 37 episodes, what it started to become following the "Michael" episode and what it bacame after "The Return, Part 1". It is what it is. What we got, that's it. Now I'm not saying that ETAG wasn't a good episode - in fact, I liked it, however, I liked it more as a season finale and that's how I'm looking at it today. At least the writers managed to get on last shot of the main guys in the episode's final moments. At least they finally gave Carter something meaningfull to do and I'm so glad that they invited AT back for SGU. Now that's how you write your characters. Doing meaningful things and not having the episode focus on the stuff that was not lead in to.
                Last edited by Mnikolic; 08 November 2019, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post

I don't know, where was Lorne or Chuck? The writers picked what characters they wanted there. Paul McGillion was at one point a main cast member and he played an important role in that episode, so they had him stand there with the other main cast members and Ronon's girlfriend.
                  I remember at the time being like who is that (Ronon's "girlfriend"). To be honest I still don't recall them having a relationship but it's been a while since I've seen SGA.

I liked the last episode but as I did then, however still wish we got more afterwards. It kind of just ends leaving me to wonder what happened to everyone and what another season could have been.
                  sigpic

Comment

Knowing how they brought some people back (Bates, Carson and even the fake Elizabeth), we'd probably see some more comebacks and judging by the first SGA move script, I think we'd see something happen to dr. Keller too. I wouldn't be sursprised if they somehow managed to bring Ford back. Or even Michael.

Comment

Working...
                    X