Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you content with how the show ended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you content with how the show ended?

Are you content with how the show ended? Rather than focus on how it should have ended, I want to focus on how it did end. What did you like, and what didn't you like? Discussion isn't limited to the final episodes, but rather the fifth season overall. My only issue with the show's ending was that there was no build-up. I know the show was cancelled and that "Enemy at the Gate" was suppose to be a stand-alone season finale, but still... as big as that episode was, I'd have liked to see a build-up over at least a few episodes. "Vegas" just didn't cut it as a build-up. One thing I did like about this season was that two key story lines were resolved: Weir and Michael, two loose ends that had to be wrapped up before the show ended. Michael's story line got a great ending, Weir... not so much. The episode was good, I just hate that she was left adrift in space. The final episodes after the big mid-season two-parter were pretty good. The only one I found myself bored with was "Vegas." I'm in the minority here, but I found it to be really pointless. The ending with Earth's location accidentally broadcast to alternate realities was far fetched, even for Stargate. Though "Enemy at the Gate" had a rushed ending, I thought it was a great episode to end the series on. Yes, there's the nagging issue of unresolved stories and character arcs, but that's to be expected when a show is cancelled. Back during the show's first season, I predicted the city would fly back to Earth in the series finale. I was so happy to see that happen, because... for me, it just had to end that way. Naturally, a Wraith hive making it all the way to Earth gave good reason for Atlantis to make the journey to Earth. One issue I had with the finale, though... how do you hide a Wraith hive attack from the people of Earth?

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    One issue I had with the finale, though... how do you hide a Wraith hive attack from the people of Earth?
    How much of it, really, would have been visible? The Dart attack was the middle of Area 51, which as we all know is large and barren (on purpose). How much of a "space battle" would be visible from the ground for people who weren't looking for it?

Comment

I did not like EatG. I did not like Vegas. I really did not like the latter half of Season 5.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

i liked vegas a lot. Enemy at the Gate should've been a 2 or 3 parter, as it was WAY too rushed on every level

Comment

EatG was a bit too rushed, but I still liked it. I would rather SGa had kept going but I'm not unhappy with how it ended.
          Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
          ---
          sigpic

Comment

Stargate is all about breaking rules to save earth and then being praised for it. It was about equality in species.

It ended with a kick in the nuts to that sort or moral ideal. Todd behaved, saved earth, didn't even argue with not being let on the bridge or having to wear that horrible outfit. Chuck him out the Stargate and send him home at least.
            Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              Are you content with how the show ended? Rather than focus on how it should have ended, I want to focus on how it did end. What did you like, and what didn't you like? Discussion isn't limited to the final episodes, but rather the fifth season overall. My only issue with the show's ending was that there was no build-up. I know the show was cancelled and that "Enemy at the Gate" was suppose to be a stand-alone season finale, but still... as big as that episode was, I'd have liked to see a build-up over at least a few episodes. "Vegas" just didn't cut it as a build-up. One thing I did like about this season was that two key story lines were resolved: Weir and Michael, two loose ends that had to be wrapped up before the show ended. Michael's story line got a great ending, Weir... not so much. The episode was good, I just hate that she was left adrift in space. The final episodes after the big mid-season two-parter were pretty good. The only one I found myself bored with was "Vegas." I'm in the minority here, but I found it to be really pointless. The ending with Earth's location accidentally broadcast to alternate realities was far fetched, even for Stargate. Though "Enemy at the Gate" had a rushed ending, I thought it was a great episode to end the series on. Yes, there's the nagging issue of unresolved stories and character arcs, but that's to be expected when a show is cancelled. Back during the show's first season, I predicted the city would fly back to Earth in the series finale. I was so happy to see that happen, because... for me, it just had to end that way. Naturally, a Wraith hive making it all the way to Earth gave good reason for Atlantis to make the journey to Earth. One issue I had with the finale, though... how do you hide a Wraith hive attack from the people of Earth?
              I LOVED Vegas and I LOVED EATG. Season 5 was among the best seasons of Stargate that ever was.

As for hiding the hive from Earth, they don't monitor the entire sky, its too big and any military/super-expensive civilian telescopes would be easier for them to cover up. Plus with it being day time in america and the hive blew up it would have been less noticable. Plus I don't know about you but I sure don't stare at the sky all the time, I barely look at it, most people don't, why would they notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                How much of it, really, would have been visible? The Dart attack was the middle of Area 51, which as we all know is large and barren (on purpose). How much of a "space battle" would be visible from the ground for people who weren't looking for it?
                The higher up into the atmosphere, the further away it can be seen from the ground. Someone, somewhere in Nevada would have noticed, quite a lot, actually. You might be able to tell people it was a terrestrial aerial fight, but then how do you explain how it happened to begin with and who was engaging the U.S. Air Force and why? As for Atlantis and the Wraith hive in orbit, you can see the moon in broad daylight if it's high enough in the sky. Don't you think people would have noticed two big space ships shooting each other up in high orbit? Especially as big as they are. They may simply look like two UFO's shooting at each other, but they'd be visible. All it takes is one person looking up at a bird or something, holy smokes, now everyone's staring at the strange objects in the sky, now whole towns, cities, now the news networks... you get the idea.

Comment

It was more action packed and exciting then the SG1 series finale.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Most of the episodes in the second half of season 5 could have been scrapped. There was no lead up to the events in Eatg... we could have done without Brain Storm/Tracker/Identity and Vegas.. they were all pointless episodes that didn't really achieve anything.

Eatg had potential and yes it was action packed but it had far too many implausible scenarios... Sheppard having to go back to Earth was contrived - why didn't Jack control the chair and Clone Carson flying the city was rediculous - he couldn't even manage a drone back in season one.

I would have preferred a slow and intelligent build up to Eatg instead of all the love triangle nonsence and the overuse of McKay and total lack of other characters..
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                      There was no lead up to the events in Eatg... we could have done without Brain Storm/Tracker/Identity and Vegas.. they were all pointless episodes that didn't really achieve anything.
                      I liked "Tracker" and "Identity." As for "Brain Storm" and "Vegas," I'll agree with you there. "Brain Storm" was basically the McKay hour, and "Vegas" was downright pointless. Remember the build up to Season 1's "The Siege?" We needed that kind of build up to "Enemy at the Gate."

Eatg had potential and yes it was action packed but it had far too many implausible scenarios... Sheppard having to go back to Earth was contrived - why didn't Jack control the chair and Clone Carson flying the city was rediculous - he couldn't even manage a drone back in season one.
                      Structurally speaking, I agree. I didn't mind Sheppard gating back to Earth to activate the Ancient outpost and use the drone weapons. However, the chair being moved to Area 51? Stupid. What is the chair, a remote control? Stupid. I do like the idea of Jack O'Neill using the chair, perhaps a brief cameo rather than a full guest appearance. I didn't mind Clone Carson flying the city. I always assumed he was bad at using Ancient technology due to his own fears.

I would have preferred a slow and intelligent build up to Eatg instead of all the love triangle nonsence and the overuse of McKay and total lack of other characters..
                      Bingo. I didn't mind the fifth season being largely episodic, but I agree. Less McKay, drop the love triangle, and build up to the finale.

Comment

About loss of secrecy, I have been wondering, if the Stargate events continue indefinitely, how long before an uncoverable leak, and how long before the Government admits to the public that Earth now has faster-than-light interstellar travel and space weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyAppleyard View Post
                          About loss of secrecy, I have been wondering, if the Stargate events continue indefinitely, how long before an uncoverable leak, and how long before the Government admits to the public that Earth now has faster-than-light interstellar travel and space weapons.
                          I believe that they would keep it a secret for as long as possible until at least over half of the general population have knowledge of the Stargate. By then, hopefully it wouldn't create as much panic. If this were real of course hahaha

Comment

Nope
                            sigpic

Comment

I have only 3 episodes left. But I have very mixed feelings. It seemed that much of the show in the last season or so was deteriorating into a live-action video game filling time with lots of shooting, bang, bang. That's not how it used to be. If that was where it was headed for a potential Season 6 then it's better that it ended. I say this reluctantly because I came to like the show and all the main characters, including Todd....but I couldn't help seeing it going down (just like the Wraith ship in Infection) for a crash landing.

Comment

Working...
                              X