Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally done with SG1, Atlantis starts tonight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally done with SG1, Atlantis starts tonight!

I finished SG1 and the movies, but now I'll be able to post my comments about each SGA episode as I watch them. Will post later tonight when I'm finished watching.

Here we go!
    sigpic
    Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

You'll be pleased to see numerous characters appear on Atlantis during it's five-year-run. By the way, do you know how SGA fits in with SG-1? The first three seasons ran alongside SG-1's final three (8-10). The Ark of Truth took place between Seasons 3&4. Finally, Continuum (when filmed) was to take place right after The Ark of Truth. Due to post-production delays, the fifth season premiere makes reference to the events of the movie as about to happen. Unfortunately, this conflicts with events in the fourth season which imply that Continuum has already happened.

Have fun watching! This show was truly a fun one to watch.

Comment

I knew that, but I figured I'd rather watch them series by series.

Rising, parts 1 and 2...Very good pilot. Started off a little slow, but took off after that.

McKay isn't nearly as much as a jerk as he was in SG1..which is good because that over the top jerk-dom would have gotten annoying

Shepard, they might as well have had Ben Browder play that part, but I liked it none the less. Its a good character.

I wish the T-1000 had been a regular cast member. I was hoping to see some conflict between he and Sheppard. But, that sets Sheppard up to be the main character.

The wraith are downright scary. They defeated the ancients, which also means they could have defeated the Ori. Its going to be fun seeing them on a regular basis. Although, they kind of look Marylin Mansonish. lol

I give this episode a solid 4 out of 5 chevrons.

One thing, I never liked Star Trek: TNG much, and I'm hoping that having those kids in the city doesnt turn into the cutsie kiddie episodes like they had in TNG.
      sigpic

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Have fun watching SGA! I thought i'd mention that I met Joe Flanigan (Sheppard) the other day...
        The episodes are amazing, Rodney is my favvie character!
        sigpic
        Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
        'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
        : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
        I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
        Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
          McKay isn't nearly as much as a jerk as he was in SG1..which is good because that over the top jerk-dom would have gotten annoying
          Just wait till you get further into SGA. You will undoubtedly change your mind.

And I'm pretty sure the Ori could have defeated the wraith, easily.

Comment

The ships of the Ori would devastate the Wraith...
            sigpic

Comment

Rising, parts 1 and 2...Very good pilot. Started off a little slow, but took off after that.
              If it seemed like a slow start, it's because the first half of "Rising" was all about reintroducing the Ancient outpost and the lost city of the Ancients to people who didn't watch the SG-1 episode "Lost City." Once Weir's expedition gets to Atlantis, the pacing really picked up. The special effects aren't quite as cinematic in later episodes, but that's really the only production difference between this episode and regular episodes of the series.

In "48 Hours" and "Redemption, Parts 1&2," McKay existed as an antagonist to Major Carter. "Rising" was his next Stargate appearance. Now that he's shifting to become not just a protagonist, but a central character on a spinoff series, the character had to be reworked from annoying to funny.

Shepard, they might as well have had Ben Browder play that part, but I liked it none the less. Its a good character.
              Joe Flannigan may seem bland at first, but five him time. He really grew into the role over the coarse of the series. I see him doing these lame TV movies for the SyFy channel, and it frustrates me. The man's got talent, he should be guest starring on high-profile shows or getting small roles in big movies. If Jason Momoa (he joins the cast down the road) can land a starring role in a big Hollywood production, why not Flannigan?

I wish the T-1000 had been a regular cast member. I was hoping to see some conflict between he and Sheppard. But, that sets Sheppard up to be the main character.
              His name is Robert Patrick, and he had just starred in the final two seasons of The X Files. He mostly does film, so it was surprising that he signed onto The X Files for anything more than a guest appearance in the first place. Really, I'm also surprised the SG casting people got Patrick for "Rising" to begin with. They were probably able to afford him due to the series premiere being a high-budget episode thus they could afford a big-name guest star to draw people in.

The wraith are downright scary. They defeated the ancients, which also means they could have defeated the Ori. Its going to be fun seeing them on a regular basis. Although, they kind of look Marylin Mansonish. lol
              Over the years, the Goa'uld lost their fear factor. Atlantis's first season takes place during the fall of both the Goa'uld and the Replicators in SG-1's eighth season. It was time to get back to a villain that was downright scary. The Wraith were perfect for this.

One thing, I never liked Star Trek: TNG much, and I'm hoping that having those kids in the city doesnt turn into the cutsie kiddie episodes like they had in TNG.
              Do you want us to tell you if the Athosians stick around?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                In "48 Hours" and "Redemption, Parts 1&2," McKay existed as an antagonist to Major Carter. "Rising" was his next Stargate appearance. Now that he's shifting to become not just a protagonist, but a central character on a spinoff series, the character had to be reworked from annoying to funny.
                Well, he may have become funnier, but he is still annoying (excessively so on frequent occasions); the writers could have cut back on much of his annoying behavior.

Comment

TNG was amazingly varied. They quickly dropped their pomposity and got into more moral and philosophical debates than Stargate did (and that's just TNG; this is ignoring the few good voyager episodes and DS9). Speaking of Voyager, Atlantis will start to resemble it in the end.
                  Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

You won't need to worry about that.
                    sigpic

Comment

The writers' favorite Atlantis character had always been Rodney McKay. Though Joe Flannigan got top billing, David Hewlett seemed to get far more screen time and dialogue. He was written to annoy the characters and humor the audience. Unfortunately, he was annoying to both. Overall, I would have liked McKay more if he was written as more of an absent-minded quiet scientist who practically lived in his own little world of science and numbers. I didn't mind how flawed he was, because it provided conflict, made him stand out from Carter, and frankly showed us how NOT to be.

Comment

Good stuff!

Watched Hide and Seek. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. I hope we see the darkness again in the future. THeres alot that could be done with it.

38 minutes was a really good episode. I liked how McKay worked to save the day. I also hope that guy who got into it with Weir about the chain of command winds up staying in that mindset to a small degree. Could be a conflict of interest later on, kind of like Jayne trying to sell out River and her brother in Firefly.
                        sigpic

Comment

38 minutes was a really good episode. I liked how McKay worked to save the day. I also hope that guy who got into it with Weir about the chain of command winds up staying in that mindset to a small degree. Could be a conflict of interest later on, kind of like Jayne trying to sell out River and her brother in Firefly.
                          Lol...Mentioning Jayne and chain of command just begs the mention of "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I beat you with until you know who is in command."
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            The writers' favorite Atlantis character had always been Rodney McKay. Though Joe Flannigan got top billing, David Hewlett seemed to get far more screen time and dialogue.
                            You want me to whip out the numbers so that you can see that "seemed" is not accurate. It should be -> David Hewlett got far more screen time and dialogue.

The original poster's hopes and dreams are going to get smashed... be careful what you wish for, young padawan. Looking forward to reading more as you progress through the episodes and seasons.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              You want me to whip out the numbers so that you can see that "seemed" is not accurate. It should be -> David Hewlett got far more screen time and dialogue.

The original poster's hopes and dreams are going to get smashed... be careful what you wish for, young padawan. Looking forward to reading more as you progress through the episodes and seasons.
                              I want the numbers
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X