Why do you write fan fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you write fan fiction?

Why do you write fan fiction? I am a developing writer who desires to be published. Fan fiction writers puzzle me, because fan fiction can't be published, because it's derived from copyrighted work. Now, if you wrote a novel or short story and submitted it to be published just like any other Stargate novel, then I would understand. It's not even about the profit, though. Why not write something original, something you can lay claim to, and perhaps make some profit on the side to help pay the bills?

I'm not putting down fan fiction, I'm just trying to understand why this gets so much focus over original stories.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Why do you write fan fiction? I am a developing writer who desires to be published. Fan fiction writers puzzle me, because fan fiction can't be published, because it's derived from copyrighted work. Now, if you wrote a novel or short story and submitted it to be published just like any other Stargate novel, then I would understand. It's not even about the profit, though. Why not write something original, something you can lay claim to, and perhaps make some profit on the side to help pay the bills?

I'm not putting down fan fiction, I'm just trying to understand why this gets so much focus over original stories.
    Snowman37, it's all about the writing. Some of us have the urge to write and fan fiction is a way to serve that urge. Why do people write journals that will never be read by others? Why do people with great voices not try to get a contract? Why draw if you don't sell your art?

I see your point. I also have original material I work on for publication. In fan fiction, however, there's a lot of room for originality. The writer starts with a template (the series/book/movie) then infuses their own imaginative take on it. Mainly I do it for love of the series that caught my creative attention; I want more of it and so I'll make more!

I'm not sure if fan fiction gets more focus over original, or maybe I'm not sure where you're referencing this. On this board, the focus is on Stargate and thus those like me who want more SG stories just write our own. We hope that others might find the fun in them that we get in writing them. Remember that these stories do get published, just not in the commercial press. There's a thread here that discusses the Stargate novels, and I'm a reader of them as well.

In short, it's fun.

I hope that helps!
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Maybe because when y0ou write a fan fiction over a orgianl concept fiction it gets more attention because the readers fell they already have fell for what will be in the story over an orginal idea.

And I personally write stories because I get the ideas stuck in my head and writing them down is some times the only way to get them out.
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

When I started writing fan fiction I was quite disgusted with myself that I was being lazy by using someone else's characters...but having now learned that a surprising number of currently published authors started with fan fiction I'm not quite so critical.
        In thinking about it I'd have to say that 1.) it's rewarding practice...you get immediate feedback as to whether or not people like your style without having to wait to be published.
        2.)writing for well-established, well-rounded, interesting characters and their interactions keeps ME interested and thus keeps me hanging in to finish a storyline....especially if I have an audience that I know wants me to finish it. I've yet to create original characters that are interesting enough to keep me motivated to finish...so all the original work I have remains unfinished. Also using already established characters provides lessons in what makes interesting characters.

Now this applies to me as a writer who's interested in creating well-crafted 'publishable" stories(I'd love to write for Fandemonium but they don't take unsolicitated manuscripts)...as near as I can see though for a large portion of writers it seems to be more an opportunity to fulfil their own little fantasy about the characters...that may seem a little harsh but with the number of writers that write way outside of canon and make no effort to keep the personalities "in-character", that's the conclusion I've reached.
        sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
        http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
          Maybe because when y0ou write a fan fiction over a orgianl concept fiction it gets more attention because the readers fell they already have fell for what will be in the story over an orginal idea.

And I personally write stories because I get the ideas stuck in my head and writing them down is some times the only way to get them out.

True. We know that SG the series was notorious for leaving plot holes and lack of follow through on critical story lines. Fan fiction fills that need to complete what the series didn't. Some agree with the author's view, some don't. Either way there's a discussion and so the beat (of Stargate) goes on. Viva Stargate!
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

My reasons for writing fanfiction are a combination of what Traveler_Enroute1 and LC have said. I've been writing original science fiction for over thirty years, and although I have not yet attempted to get any of it published, that is a goal of mine. But I began my fanfiction project as a writing exercise intended to get me out of a horrid case of writer's block, and also as a sort of "sandbox" or "playground" in which I could try out different elements of technique and obtain feedback. What I've learned and am still learning from this experience -- and it's a tremendous amount -- is now getting plowed back into my completely original works as well, so I see fanfiction as something that can be very useful in my pursuit of a career as a published author.

I suspect the same has been true of quite a number of published authors, whether the public knows it or not.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

You know, I have lots of hobbies but just because I like doing a sport doesn't mean I want to go to the Olympics.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Why do I write Fan Fiction.
                I use it as an escape. And because I enjoy writing.
                And because it's fun...
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

...because all the stories for a particular franchise have not yet been told.
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

The short answer:
                    Because it's fun.

I actually did not start off writing fan-fiction. When I was about six I started writing stories, and by about nine years old they were getting pretty good - and pretty long. I wrote a lot of fantasy, and around twelve I started getting into roleplaying (like on message boards, you know, everyone chooses a character and you create a story together based around a plot) and that's when I started doing fanfic. I loved trying to capture the personalities and really developing relatively underdeveloped characters. I tended to - and often still do - focus on the underrated characters no one really paid attention. It was and remains a challenge but I love it.

I still do original pieces and my NaNoWriMo every year is always an original project. But I'd be lying if I said that my fanfic doesn't inspire me.

Besides, alternate universe/timeline is fun! Like the user above me has said, "All the stories for a.. franchise have not yet been told." And that's the beauty of fanfic. It's your unofficial contribution to something you love.

To be honest, though, kind of my dream is to write the next Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Relaunch novel since no one else is. It's a very... far-fetched goal, granted, but it would be fun to try.

Comment

I'm writing a fanfic right now, though it's set in the Doctor Who universe.

Why am I writing it rather than original fiction?

I've done lots of technical writing for most of my life--research, critical analysis, financial reports, and more recently criminal reports, incident reports, supply inventories, formal complaints, training guides, computer guides, and personnel reviews.

Technical writing and other nonfiction writing has always come fluidly to me. But fiction writing has always been a great challenge. One of the reasons for the rather sudden interest in fan fiction is to tap into my writing skills in a much more creative manner. It's a great outlet for the indescribable amounts of stress I've had to endure in the past 3 years. The current story I'm working on is an opportunity to express some new and powerful changes that have taken place in me emotionally. And of course, the Doctor Who universe is a fun playground to explore and create in.
                      sigpic

Comment

Snowman, it took me over a week to be able to answer this question. Frankly, despite you saying that you didn't want to put down fan fiction, I was a bit offended and had to calm down. I'm pretty sure you did not mean it, but to me, it sounded like you were saying, "If you don't get paid for writing, why bother doing it?" You might as well ask why people paint but don't show their work at galleries or why people dance but don't have jobs on Broadway or why people sing but don't have record contracts. Here is my answer:

Why do I breathe? Because I must. Why do I write fan fic? For much the same reason. I write fan fic because writing is not what I do but rather who I am. It does not matter what I am writing--incentives for my sales team, material for a team meeting, directions on how to do something, poetry, original fic or fan fic. I am a writer because when I don't write, I feel dead inside. Profit schmofit. Would I love to write the next twenty SGA novels or be the next Nora Roberts? Heck, yes! But writing is about expressing what's inside of me, not about balancing my check book.

I began writing fiction when I was ten and wrote short stories and poetry for most of my young life. Then RL came along and decided that I had to get a “real job”. Writing had to go to the back burner and then got put away and shoved into the back of the fridge with all the other left-over hopes & dreams. If it hadn't been for fan fic, my writing might have gotten tossed in the bin one day.

I began writing fan fic because stories were jumping around in my head—various “what ifs”. I didn’t realize that what I was writing was fan fic until I visited a friend and former writing buddy one summer. My friend introduced me to the term for what I was doing. She was a working mom like I was with no real time/energy/creativity left at the end of the day. Which is not to say that fan fic is not creative; it’s just easier to jump off from someone else’s work—kind of like brain-storming with others can be an easier way to come up with ideas than just sitting, staring at a blank page.

At first, my stories seemed to be content with me writing a scene or two—once a scene was written, the story would leave me alone. Then one night, a story demanded that I write it in its entirety. I got out of bed and wrote. I posted the story on fanfiction.net, where I had numerous people respond with comments like, “Yes! This is what I was thinking, too!” or something similar. I have to admit, I love getting feedback, so long as it is constructive. When you write fan fiction, you can get that instant feedback, rather than having to finish your novel and then get it past numerous jaded editors and publishers first.

Fan fiction was also my “return to writing”, which helped me to stretch writing muscles that had been unused for over a dozen years. With the help of feedback on ff.net and the comments of my betas, my writing steadily improved. I shudder when I read some of my first posted works. Had I sent some of those (as original fics) to a publisher, I would have been laughed out of the office for the obvious mistakes in grammar and basic story-telling.

Now, as Cold Fuzz said, fan fic relieves much of my stress. I work way too many hours in a week, even before throwing in my mom and wife duties. I am in a nearly constant state of stress and am too old for that cr—stuff. I guess you could say that at this point in my life, fan fiction is actually saving my life by lowering my blood pressure.

Other posters have given equally apt answers:

CMWriter: Because it’s fun!
                        Mathpiglet: Because all the stories for a particular franchise have not yet been told.
                        Starfist: I use it as an escape. And because I enjoy writing.
                        Fems: "Just because I like doing a sport doesn't mean I want to go to the Olympics."

Oh, heck, just re-read all the other answers and you'll get bits and pieces of my why. Ninety-eight percent of those answers apply to me, as well.

CMWriter: We sound very similar in history, except I never got into RP for some reason.

Oh, and Snowman, if you really are a "developing writer who desires to be published", you could do worse than honing your writing knife on fan fic. There is a lot of fan fic chaff, but if you take the time to sort through it, you can also find the wheat.

Last but not least, many of us fan fic writers also write original works. I have a few in process; my former beta wrote and published one work and is trying to get another published; my current beta also published an original fic. Both of my betas continue to write fan fic. One day, I would like to be published, but if that never happens, I will continue to write until I draw my last breath because I simply must.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I also write Fan Fic...
                          Because it can be a good conversation starter at a convention...

Comment

I write fan fiction because I have a story I need to tell. I write original fiction for exactly the same reason. Because an idea grips me and I need to write it down and make it "real".

Most of the time, it starts with a simple question or idea that just won't leave me alone. My current SG-related idea is very silly and will become a humourous story, and was basically "let's show the Wraith horror movies!". My current original story, which will be my NaNoWriMo project and I can't wait to start working on, was caused by an idea of a man who might be blessed by the gods, or might just be hearing voices, and his journey defined by that trait.

I want to write what I have the inspiration to write, and that varies greatly. I have several original stories written, and I hope to get at least one published some day, but I won't write something just to write it. I have to need to write it.

I write because, like when I read, it's a way to dream, to take a little break from real life. Don't get me wrong, my life is pretty nice. I have a steady job, I have family I love and I have friends and other hobbies. But there are days I don't want to be an archivist. I want to walk through the Stargate to another world, where I can be anyone I want to be, and do anything I want to do. Sometimes, I want to be someone I made up myself, in a world all of my own, where I make all the rules. Other times, I want to play in someone else's sandbox, because they've made a setting and rules I love, and I want to have fun with them.

Anything I write, I write for myself. I absolutely love getting positive feedback, and few things thrill me more than to know someone likes my work, but I don't write for them. I write only for myself. And writing, to me, is freedom.
                            Some centuries, it just doesn't pay to get out of hibernation...

Fanfiction * Into the Hive - A Wraith-centric ficlet collection * Hive Ebonstar - A collection of Wraith headcanons and character references

Comment

For the challenge...

Comment

Working...
                              X